PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julio Jones (June 6 Update - Traded to the Titans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is julio setting himself to be cut and then signing a prove it deal with a team of his liking?

If it's a 1 year rental , then no point parting with a 2nd rounder. Maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Looks like Atlanta has no leverage in this trade.

As

So….Why did you post it in a Julio thread? Asking for a friend.

Also, cryptic tweets by professional athletes are so annoying.
If we would of said something about Georgia or Atlanta I’d be like Hmmm but we need Gilmore to win the division.

5bwhbb.jpg

It seems like this entire Julio Jones situation is screwed up because:

• Teams aren't aware if they're trading for Julio Jones or if they're trading for a one-year rental of Julio Jones
  • (Which makes the draft compensation very complicated), and
  • Julio Jones doesn't appear to be willing to take a team friendly deal extension (example, a 2 yr/ $23M) to play for a contender and would rather try for a prove-it season so he can cash in one more time.
So, in other words, Jones has all the leverage over Atlanta. No one will trade a high pick for a potential one-year rental, and he doesn't appear willing to get this done...he clearly wants big money, and Atlanta won't pay him, so they're threatening to trade him, but he really doesn't care if he's traded.

Bingo. This has made the trade go from a slam dunk to an all-in type move. The number of WRs who have played at an elite level age 33+ are on one hand. A potential decline wouldn't be a problem at an 11 million cap hit. However, Julio goes off this year & then demands to be paid 20+ million at that age would be tough.

Bingo. This has made the trade go from a slam dunk to an all-in type move. The number of WRs who have played at an elite level age 33+ are on one hand. A potential decline wouldn't be a problem at an 11 million cap hit. However, Julio goes off this year & then demands to be paid 20+ million at that age would be tough.
Theoretically you can trade for him and if he's decent you can keep him; if he's great, you get his "contract year" for $11M and then you trade him again to someone else next year. Obviously his worth will be depreciated somewhat considering the receiving team will have to pay him immediately, but someone will flip a fourth or something to lock up a guy who just showed he's still elite. So if you only pay a second this year, it works out pretty good. Definitely feels like a Bill move.

I don't get the big deal and worry with the talk that you'd have to give him a new deal next year. Honestly, how much leverage does at 33, going on 34-year-old WR have with the threat of sitting out. You just tell him, too bad. Play for your current deal and a shot at an SB, or sit out the rest of your contract. He'd be 35 when that's up, and surely wouldn't demand any money, especially if he didn't play for 1-2 seasons. A younger player entering or in his prime can leverage a new deal with the threat of sitting out the remainder of their contract because they'll still return in their prime. That absolutely does not apply to Julio Jones.

Are you suggesting that none of our present roster will be traded away for picks?

I'm certainly not counting on it...I don't think that Harry will fetch even a 5th-rounder, for instance...Michel might, but I see that as more of a deadline deal but only if Harris, Stevenson & White are all healthy & productive...We'll never get what we paid for Assyassy & Keene, so we might as well keep both, even at the expense of somebody like Bolden or a 6th WR or a 9th OLman...Practice Squad rules will also play a role here as well, because it appears that there will be 16 allowed on it again this season, including 6 vets comprising a "taxi" squad who may be exempt from waiver claims...

I'm certainly not counting on it...I don't think that Harry will fetch even a 5th-rounder, for instance...Michel might, but I see that as more of a deadline deal but only if Harris, Stevenson & White are all healthy & productive...We'll never get what we paid for Assyassy & Keene, so we might as well keep both, even at the expense of somebody like Bolden or a 6th WR or a 9th OLman...Practice Squad rules will also play a role here as well, because it appears that there will be 16 allowed on it again this season, including 6 vets comprising a "taxi" squad who may be exempt from waiver claims...
If I’m Sony I am not buying any property in the next few weeks

If I’m Sony I am not buying any property in the next few weeks

If he hasn't bought property by now, then he might as well not bother until he signs his next contract.

I was expecting more Jones news to come out today, definitely quieter than I thought it would be.

I was expecting more Jones news to come out today, definitely quieter than I thought it would be.
June 2 was a start date, not a finish line. Jones moving on could happen tomorrow, or it could take weeks. Hell, it could theorectically take a couple of months.

Just re-read Beckett's "Waiting For Godot" and it struck me that this Jones issue is just that...waiting for something that is never going to happen.The Jones chapter I'd call "Waiting For The Dough". The NFL has become one huge theater of the absurd.

Just re-read Beckett's "Waiting For Godot" and it struck me that this Jones issue is just that...waiting for something that is never going to happen.The Jones chapter I'd call "Waiting For The Dough". The NFL has become one huge theater of the absurd.
With Goodell playing ---. Pozzo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back