PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julio Jones (June 6 Update - Traded to the Titans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m glad we are not going to be giving up 2nd rounder and 15m for Jones at this stage of his career…not worth it in the long run

lol clown talk

In half a season, Julio Jones had 771 yards in 2020. That’s:
  • More than Kendrick Bourne’s career high
  • More than Jakobi Meyers career high
  • (Way) More than K’Keal Harry’s career high
  • Not that far off from Nelson Algohor’s ($12M) huge breakout season in 2020 (Algohor played in every game)
  • Almost 2x as many yards as Jonnu Smith’s ($12.5M) career high (Smith is a TE but more known for WR skills)
But now I guess it’s time to knock Jones for no longer being good while discussing value and dollars, while doing cartwheels for all the huge splash signings of much lesser players.
Bingo, bango, django ...

1)It can't be the $. We just paid Henry (fair share of injuries), Smith & Agholor. I'm not complaining just saying ... Why can't we pay a future HOF? Who again, forget about WR, would be the best player on our team. It's not throwing away $.

Also no team is killing themselves to sign Jones past a 2-3 year deal that looks a lot like the one he's on now. Which really ain't that bad at all.

2)It can't be the draft picks either. The draft doesn't matter after the 4th round so seriously what are we giving up? I'm a draft nut but HOF/Elite players > draft picks every single time.

3)We obviously felt the need was real if we were in on it. AB, Gordon, Sanu, 1st on Harry, Agholor, Bourne .. It's not a secret we wanted to upgrade the position.

The excuse making or pretending he's not a great player anymore is what gets me. It's cool to be on the other side just own it.

Meaning he was hurt last year, right?

Jones' receiving yards the previous SIX seasons:

Then he was hurt last year so only managed 771, which of course would have been tops on the Pats.

Look, I get how it works, if the Pats had signed him everyone here would be doing cartwheels, but they didn't, so we're making up reasons why we're SO glad we dodged the bullet of the supermodel ****ing us. But come on.

It’s embarrassing

Watch the film. You right. He wasn’t all bad but he wasn’t great. If you’re talking 2020, you’re trading a pick or 2 and a lot of cap space for a big slot whose acceleration declined and who couldn’t cut off the break.
I don't think there's many people that watch as much college/pro film as me tbh. I should be a lot smarter than I am. Screenshot_2021-06-06-22-13-09~2.png

Screenshot_2021-06-06-22-13-16~2.png
Also I don't think we're seeing the same thing on film. Tough make any real judgements off last year alone but he was still a top tier WR and was dominant the year before.
Plus if you really watched film you'd literally see Jones lines up out wide a lot more than in the slot. I don't know where the idea that he's a big slot comes from? He played almost 400 snaps last year out wide, 80 in the slot. Almost 700 the year before and 150 in the slot. Same the year before that and the year before that. He's not a slot WR or big slot by any means.

Bingo, bango, django ...

1)It can't be the $. We just paid Henry (fair share of injuries), Smith & Agholor. I'm not complaining just saying ... Why can't we pay a future HOF? Who again, forget about WR, would be the best player on our team. It's not throwing away $.

Also no team is killing themselves to sign Jones past a 2-3 year deal that looks a lot like the one he's on now. Which really ain't that bad at all.

2)It can't be the draft picks either. The draft doesn't matter after the 4th round so seriously what are we giving up? I'm a draft nut but HOF/Elite players > draft picks every single time.

3)We obviously felt the need was real if we were in on it. AB, Gordon, Sanu, 1st on Harry, Agholor, Bourne .. It's not a secret we wanted to upgrade the position.

The excuse making or pretending he's not a great player anymore is what gets me. It's cool to be on the other side just own it.
Personally, I would be happier with an announcement of a 3 year extension for Gilmore than a signing of Jones.

And that suspension would have expired before Christmas.
Says who?

AB didn't play again... for anybody. He didn't play that year, he didn't play again until week 9 the following season... but undoubtedly he would have been back for Christmas because this is a holiday number with an Irving Berlin soundtrack. And undoubtedly heir Goodell would have cut the Patriots a break had they held onto AB... right... lol.

He was being charged for rape and had just threatened a single mother and her children on snap face... undoubtedly he would be back... he just wasn't.

Do you really think these things out before you post them?

I guess we can now officially say Belichick was right in advising Dimitroff to not give up so much to move up to draft Jones. They never won consistently with him and Dimitroff’s successor ended up shipping him off for a draft pick most likely to be in the 50-60 range. Maybe, just maybe, this Belichick guy, while not perfect as some here think, actually has a clue.

It will also be shown true that Bill was right in not shipping off a 2nd for a 32 year old receiver with mounting injury issues who thinks he’s worth every one of the $15.3 million dollars his contract calls for him to be paid this season. Good luck Titans. Jon Robinson is the leader in the clubhouse to be the next former Patriot executive to be fired.
Julio Jones has been to the playoffs four times in a ten year career, played in and lost one Super Bowl.

They had some of the top ranked offenses in this time, but the defense always lagged behind. Could they have made a complete team with all the #1 draft picks they gave up for Julio Jones... more likely than not. They drafted well, the Julio trade gave them the best WR in the game, but it cost their future to make it happen.

You can't win rings being good on one side of the ball... I think that was BB's point.

Was really looking forward to potential 12 looks... I would live out of it.

Jones/Agholor wide - Henry inline, Smith detached or slot.

Jones/Henry wide, Bourne or Myers/Smith double slot.

Agholor wide, Jones/Henry double slot, Smith inline

It's not a killer for us but I do believe he would have really elevated and had big trickle down effect for everyone else.

Ironic that it was in fact Belichick's team that ultimately stopped that with a WR group that consisted of Edelman, Amendola, Hogan and Mitchell. A 7th round pick, 2 UDFA and a 4th round pick. I think any other AFC playoff team in that SB and Falcons win.

Who was the QB again?

Could they have made a complete team with all the #1 draft picks they gave up for Julio Jones... more likely than not. They drafted well, the Julio trade gave them the best WR in the game, but it cost their future to make it happen.

Thought they had paid just 1 additional first.

I don't think there's many people that watch as much college/pro film as me tbh. I should be a lot smarter than I am. View attachment 33281

View attachment 33282
Also I don't think we're seeing the same thing on film. Tough make any real judgements off last year alone but he was still a top tier WR and was dominant the year before.
Plus if you really watched film you'd literally see Jones lines up out wide a lot more than in the slot. I don't know where the idea that he's a big slot comes from? He played almost 400 snaps last year out wide, 80 in the slot. Almost 700 the year before and 150 in the slot. Same the year before that and the year before that. He's not a slot WR or big slot by any means.
No one said you don’t watch college film. My comment was directed at Julio Jones. He’s not in college.

I got the idea for a big slot because he couldn’t go deep effectively last year, not from how many times he lined up in the slot. He looked like a big 31 year old possession receiver last year and the Patriots already have two young developing TEs who can catch the ball plus NA and Bourne. Was Jones just slowed by the 2020 injuries or has he declined? If you think he is the player he was 2-3 years ago he’s definitely worth what the Titans traded for him and what they’ll have to pay to him. I have some doubts but we’ll see.

Julio Jones has been to the playoffs four times in a ten year career, played in and lost one Super Bowl.

They had some of the top ranked offenses in this time, but the defense always lagged behind. Could they have made a complete team with all the #1 draft picks they gave up for Julio Jones... more likely than not. They drafted well, the Julio trade gave them the best WR in the game, but it cost their future to make it happen.

You can't win rings being good on one side of the ball... I think that was BB's point.

Nope…that wasn’t BB’s point at all. His point was that Jones isn’t that much better than the next tier of WRs and named Jonathan Baldwin as an alternative. If BB had known how good Julio Jones would be, he never would have advised agaimst that trade.

For BB, it’s defensible. He doesn’t have hindsight and plenty of “generational” receivers bust. Sammy Watson comes to mind.

For people here trying to spin the Julio Jones draft pick into a negative for Atlanta, claiming BB was correct and that Atlanta would have been better off not making that trade, you guys are just being beyond moronic, even for you.

Also, not that this matters to irrational BB groupies. but Atlanta traded all the way up from #27 to #6. The draft capital was much more about standard draft value than about a team gouging them. And Baldwin was taken with that traded pick (after Baltimore defaulted by not getting their pick in). He was a huge bust.

Last edited:
Would have loved to see JJ here, but I'm betting Bourne and Meyers are two very happy dogs right now.

On the other hand, AJ Brown and Tanny are probably downright giddy.

I think it was a risky move to get him, depending on what he's going to demand for his new contract. But that's the difference between what BB can do and what new coaches have to do. Vrable needs to take Tenn to the next level. he's done a great job there in making them a playoff team, but they haven't sniffed the gold ring. As his young talent gets more expensive, he'll need more success to stick around as head coach. Risky move here, but a really smart one.

And, despite the risks of paying an older WR, I wish the Pats had done it.

Great non-trade for the Patriots. A 2nd and a 4th for Julio and a 6th is just way too much. Glad they stayed away. We’re absolutely stacked at WR anyway. BB, as usual, playing chess while the rest of the league plays checkers.
I am sensing your quasi-facetious tone, John Spartan.

Beckham is a few years younger... BUT, he's a bigger diva, has a longer injury history, and (while flashy) is not as good a WR in totality as Jones. I'm not sure why they'd be more willing to overextend for him, given the two's contract situations seem pretty similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST