PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julio Jones (June 6 Update - Traded to the Titans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Falcons GM is outted as lying about having a 1st round offer. Why would one lie about something like this, it's not smart long term behavior.
Also makes them look like incompetent morons, incapable of attributing proper value to a player.

I say this, because to actually say that they had to be: (1) dumb enough to think other teams would actually believe it, and (2) that someone would eventually offer a 1st lest they find themselves in the exact situation they're in now (ie, looking like morons).

So the Falcons GM is outted as lying about having a 1st round offer. Why would one lie about something like this, it's not smart long term behavior.

Might not have been a lie. Could have been a first from a team like Seattle or worse yet Tampa Bay. Moving him to the AFC at the cost of getting a 2 instead of a 1 might have been worth it for them, and they used the first round offer to try to sweeten the pot for the Titans deal.

Might not have been a lie. Could have been a first from a team like Seattle or worse yet Tampa Bay. Moving him to the AFC at the cost of getting a 2 instead of a 1 might have been worth it for them, and they used the first round offer to try to sweeten the pot for the Titans deal.
I think they had a first round pick from us, but they turned it down because the front office, most of whom aren’t there anymore, were still mad about blowing a 28-3 lead over 4 years ago.

I guess we can now officially say Belichick was right in advising Dimitroff to not give up so much to move up to draft Jones. They never won consistently with him and Dimitroff’s successor ended up shipping him off for a draft pick most likely to be in the 50-60 range. Maybe, just maybe, this Belichick guy, while not perfect as some here think, actually has a clue.

It will also be shown true that Bill was right in not shipping off a 2nd for a 32 year old receiver with mounting injury issues who thinks he’s worth every one of the $15.3 million dollars his contract calls for him to be paid this season. Good luck Titans. Jon Robinson is the leader in the clubhouse to be the next former Patriot executive to be fired.

I guess we can now officially say Belichick was right in advising Dimitroff to not give up so much to move up to draft Jones. They never won consistently with him and Dimitroff’s successor ended up shipping him off for a draft pick most likely to be in the 50-60 range. Maybe, just maybe, this Belichick guy, while not perfect as some here think, actually has a clue.

That's ludicrous, on multiple fronts. You should feel shame, and willingly send yourself to the penalty box, for making such a bad post.

Omfg dude…please tell me this is sarcasm.

Also makes them look like incompetent morons, incapable of attributing proper value to a player.

I say this, because to actually say that they had to be: (1) dumb enough to think other teams would actually believe it, and (2) that someone would eventually offer a 1st lest they find themselves in the exact situation they're in now (ie, looking like morons).
Or it's possible that the first-round offer required them to keep some of his 2021 salary. . . .

Julio Jones made perhaps the most amazing catch in Super Bowl history that was accomplished through sheer talent rather than a fluke which should have sealed the game but then the worst play calling of all time happened.

perhaps because a 2nd and $15M a year is worth more to the patriots

Yes, and this is the thing. When people do the calculations for these trades, and list the "what Team A got, and what Team B got, the money is rarely included.

In this case, the Titans effectively traded some of their cap space to the Falcons. That's what drove the deal. That's what should be listed first. It has more value to the Falcons than the 2nd rounder, and I suspect to the Pats as well.

Yes, and this is the thing. When people do the calculations for these trades, and list the "what Team A got, and what Team B got, the money is rarely included.

In this case, the Titans effectively traded some of their cap space to the Falcons. That's what drove the deal. That's what should be listed first. It has more value to the Falcons than the 2nd rounder, and I suspect to the Pats as well.
The Patriots went through the offseason spending like a drunken sailor. The Patriots then reportedly got the alligator arms when it came to picking up the check for a sure fire HOFer.

The Titans are going to have Julio Jones/A.J. Brown/Derrick Henry as their top trio working with their QB. It's a good thing they've got a difficult schedule outside of their division, or we could have just penciled them in for a playoff berth right now.

The Patriots went through the offseason spending like a drunken sailor. The Patriots then reportedly got the alligator arms when it came to picking up the check for a sure fire HOFer.
I don’t think we need to worry about this. Why make life easier on your rookie QB when you can just “throw him into the deep end” and see if he sinks or swims? Belichick is so far ahead of the game, it’s scary.

I don’t think we need to worry about this. Why make life easier on your rookie QB when you can just “throw him into the deep end” and see if he sinks or swims? Belichick is so far ahead of the game, it’s scary.

So..... 100 receptions for N'Keal Harry, at 15 yards per?

It will also be shown true that Bill was right in not shipping off a 2nd for a 32 year old receiver with mounting injury issues who thinks he’s worth every one of the $15.3 million dollars his contract calls for him to be paid this season. Good luck Titans. Jon Robinson is the leader in the clubhouse to be the next former Patriot executive to be fired.

Ironic that it was in fact Belichick's team that ultimately stopped that with a WR group that consisted of Edelman, Amendola, Hogan and Mitchell. A 7th round pick, 2 UDFA and a 4th round pick. I think any other AFC playoff team in that SB and Falcons win.

He was getting suspended anyway. They let him go in the hopes of recouping some money, which they did in the middle of last season.

And that suspension would have expired before Christmas.

He wasn't bad at all last year. Caught 51 / 68 for 15 per clip and 3 TD.
Watch the film. You right. He wasn’t all bad but he wasn’t great. If you’re talking 2020, you’re trading a pick or 2 and a lot of cap space for a big slot whose acceleration declined and who couldn’t cut off the break.

No question they spent a LOT this off season in a LOT of areas, not just at TE and WR. It must have seemed odd to spent on TWO so called #1 TE's in one off season, but I think it was with a purpose. Back when they had the 2 TE offense of 2010-12 before AH went off the rails the Pats were on. their way to having a very special and specialized offense that might be called the wide open 2 TE offense. An offense that created SEVERAL unique and difficult issues for defenses to confront.

Now a decade later they have a chance to create that offense again. Again it will revolve around a STRONG running attack (which will be even more effective if Newton is the QB, but will also put pressure on the middle of the field in the intermediate zones from BOTH sides of the LOS. THe formations and motions that even my diminished mind can think of starts to become endless as I draw them out. Image what a offensive mind like Josh McDaniels can come up with.

This wasn't a case of the Pats coming up with "alligator arms" at the last minute, but rather not over spending on over kill at the WR position. I have spoken at length over what I see as a needless drone that we HAVE to have a clear "true" #1 WR to succeed when history has show that we clearly do not.

Right now we have TWO every competent if not spectacular starting WR's (and if you didn't find Ahgular's ypc spectacular then we need to come up with a new definition_.) We have at least 2 more capable WR's available for depth, plus adding additional WR over the course of the season happens to be the easiest position of fill in the league. I think we have 2 starting TE's who each have the capability to be all pros in any given year (in the right offense.

I think the Stevenson draft pick has been overlooked in its importance to this particular potential offense. I know I overlooked it. But the more I think on it the more it fits into what the Pats want for this offense. A guy, like LGB that you can count on to get those hard third and shorts and GL situations. A third guy to carry what will be a heavy run game load. A fifth guy if you count James White and the other Skeeterback.

LOT of speculation in this post, and nothing that can proven until we get to the preseason games and even then it will be too early since the Pats rarely show much before their season actually starts., But if they end up doing a few days of joint practices with anyone, THAT might be a time in TC where we might get a glimpse of this offense will look like.

Bottom like - You need to be good at all 3 areas of the game PLUS be very deep all the way through the roster if you want to make a real run at a championship, ESPECIALLY in a 17 game season. The season is even MORE a game of attrition than ever. Spending THAT much on what I would consider a bit of luxury will only weaken our ability compete overall.

Right now there are a TON of competent players in the #25-50 range of your roster that we likely have never heard of, but can supply much needed quality depth to this team that will be on the table before TC. That 3rd wave FA market is almost at a standstill, and the longer it remains so, the better the bargains will be out their. I for one are glad we have 15 odd MM in cap space BEFORE we have to play cap gymnastics to get people in.

I remember some where in the mid 2000' off season we picked up two DLmen just before camp who barely created a ripple of interest when signed and then ended up creating 20 odd sacks between them. Maybe you remember their names. (andre carter??? and someone I think) But the fact is that no one that is signed now with the space we now have after passing on Julio, you never can tell how important that signing might end up being that we WOULDN'T have been able to sign if we capped ourselves out with luxury of Julio Jones

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference