PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels will NOT accept 49ers job (Edit: Kyle Shanahan expected to become HC in San Fran)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a lot worth looking at in the following article, and the "grating" issue is a real one, but let's at least put the "groceries" argument to rest:

Harbaugh has always had to cede control of personnel to Baalke, and after two sub-par drafts in a row (San Francisco's 2012 draft hasn't produced a single functional starter, and 2013 brought only safety Eric Reid), one wonders if Harbaugh is a bit agitated at the lack of new talent coming in the room. In today's NFL, recovering from two such drafts is very hard to do, especially with the core of your talent base getting up there in age.

Multiple reports indicate tension between Jim Harbaugh and 49ers front office

Smart move by Josh.

York brings too much instability and uncertainly.

I don't know much about York, but since he is so young I can definitely see the potential for him to behave like Al Davis in his final decade for a very, very, very long time.

We love to point out dumb moves, but let's give Josh a good hand on making one of the best calls of his life!

I don't know much about York, but since he is so young I can definitely see the potential for him to behave like Al Davis in his final decade for a very, very, very long time.

We love to point out dumb moves, but let's give Josh a good hand on making one of the best calls of his life!

Al's problem was his age. From the late 60s to the mid 80s he was a very very sharp football mind.

Hes a west coast Daniel Snyder without any credibility or business sense. At least Snyder started from nothing and built a billion dollar company.

Al's problem was his age. From the late 60s to the mid 80s he was a very very sharp football mind.
That's why I qualified my remark about Davis: He's in the HoF and was brilliant, but lost it the last ten or so years of his life.

To say York is not as good as Daniel Snyder. :D

Keep Baalke/Tomsula one more year to demonstrate that you don't change your mind every damn year. Every coaching hire should get two years no matter what to give them a fair chance.

Then fire them both if its as bad as expected and give the new GM a clean slate. If York did that then maybe Josh would have felt more certain in taking that job now.

Honestly Chip Kelly should've been smart enough to stay away. I'm glad Josh finally came around for his sake.
I don't think it is ever the right thing to do to keep a bad coach who you know is over his head because you want to keep up appearances.
Smart thing would have been to oust Baalke then, but when you promote from within, it would seem hard to blame the GM, since the whole organization no doubt thought it was the right move.

Chip Kelly went their because no one else wanted him.

Bob kraft at his worst was never that much of a moron. Plus he learned quickly. Was a great owner.
Bobbie's problem is dotage and wanting to be accepted In The Club.

It took me a while to get past Kraft's performance during Deflategate, but eventually posters like you and Ken have convinced me that Kraft is a great NFL owner. However, one can't forget what it means to be a NFL team owner. With us fans, the Pats are our pride and joy, and all we care about is the good of the team. In contrast, all of these NFL owners are extremely rich and successful business people who are making money hand over fist from their NFL teams. Of course they primarily think of their teams as a business and a way to make money.

Suppose you or I suddenly were owners of a string of cooperating businesses in an organization (like the NFL), that was part of a "Club". The businesses are appreciating in value like crazy and, even better, we are making so much money we hardly know what to do with it. If you were in that situation, would you rock the boat too much? I probably wouldn't mind being part of that Club either.

If you don't think it is primarily a business to Kraft and the other owners look at how supportive everybody (including Kraft) is of the moves of long established teams to new locations, such as the Raiders to Las Vegas. As a fan, the idea horrifies me, all I can think of are the millions of Raider Fans in Oakland that will be missing out on their beloved Raiders. But, then, I am not a billionaire businessman. You just can't expect owners to think like, or behave like, fans.

. No. I quit companies because I was surrounded by unethical people. I think less of Kraft because he wants to be part of the 31. Admittedly as an owner in the NFL he has no choice in his associate. I could quit a job and go elsewhere.

I don't get why people think McDaniels is such a hot candidate.This thing about him withdrawing is probably because he realized the 49ers weren't interested. At the rams and broncos he did nothing to distinguish himself , and being the coordinator of the pats is hardly difficult.

McDaniels to me is a Norv or Wade Phillips better a coordinator than head coach.If Bill retires i hope he does not become our coach

That's why I qualified my remark about Davis: He's in the HoF and was brilliant, but lost it the last ten or so years of his life.

To say York is not as good as Daniel Snyder. :D

Yea on Al. He lost his fastball in the early 90s..

I think over the years Snyder has learned a little too. Hes owned that team for 20+years now. Hes letting Gruden do his thing and hes doing a decent job

Andy, if I'm ever accused of a crime, I'd like to hire you to defend me. Particularly if I'm guilty.

Chip Kelly's career would be in a much better place if he took a year off to trade quips on the set of a pregame show than it is after working for the Niners for a year. Josh and any other candidate should recognize that.

Still being objective, the NYJ (other than being in NY) have no business being seen as an attractive job.
but they are, Todd Bowles was a sought after guy when the Jets got him.

I've explained this numerous times.
The Harbaugh/Baalke issue had to be resolved and was far from a no-brainer.
Everything that followed was the logical result.

Are you saying they should have kept Tomsula or Kelly and shouldn't have fired the guy who hired them?
You shouldn't fire a coach after a year and Kelly didnt deserve to get fired, guy comes into a 5-11 team that lost talent and they fire him because his team was bad. What were they expecting?

Did our offensive game plan stink up Gillette the other night because josh was focused on future employment instead of current employment?

I wonder if he had a conversation with BB, and maybe Kraft, and felt that he had a pretty good shot as BB's job when he decides to retire. Josh staying here and taking the reins, along with Caserio, would really be the best possible scenario when BB leaves, IMO.

You shouldn't fire a coach after a year and Kelly didnt deserve to get fired, guy comes into a 5-11 team that lost talent and they fire him because his team was bad. What were they expecting?
I assume they were expecting him to add something of value to build on such as having an offense that isn't horrible.
I think he would have gotten more time any way but it's untralistic to think you fire the GM and not the 2-14 coach with him. Especially when it's a charlatan like kelly. What GM would take the job?

Did our offensive game plan stink up Gillette the other night because josh was focused on future employment instead of current employment?
Our offensive game plan was good given what the opponent was doing on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes