PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels will NOT accept 49ers job (Edit: Kyle Shanahan expected to become HC in San Fran)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SF just fired two coaches in two years and ran Jim Harbaugh out of town, what exactly is the good part of their ownership.
I've explained this numerous times.
The Harbaugh/Baalke issue had to be resolved and was far from a no-brainer.
Everything that followed was the logical result.

Are you saying they should have kept Tomsula or Kelly and shouldn't have fired the guy who hired them?

Briefly. Blowing away a competent though problematical HC. Then going thru 2 more HCs in 2 seasons. Worst of all after all of this showing arrogance indicating he has not learned from his mistakes.

Briefly. Blowing away a competent though problematical HC. Then going thru 2 more HCs in 2 seasons. Worst of all after all of this showing arrogance indicating he has not learned from his mistakes.

Kraft was as bad as York, in the early years. The difference is that he learned from his mistakes, while York's an error repeater.

I've explained this numerous times.
The Harbaugh/Baalke issue had to be resolved and was far from a no-brainer.
Everything that followed was the logical result.

Are you saying they should have kept Tomsula or Kelly and shouldn't have fired the guy who hired them?
Ok, I can buy having to choose between Harbaugh and Baalke and going with Baalke. But then, hire someone competent as the next coach and not just a patronage reward as seemed to be the case as Tomsula. It's like if Belichick retired tomorrow and Kraft bypasses Josh and Matt and chooses Brendan Daly as head coach. That's rewarding people for political reasons and not because it's the best move for the team. That's the sign of an owner not worth working for. If he even hired any coordinator in the league it'd be a different story.

Ok, I can buy having to choose between Harbaugh and Baalke and going with Baalke. But then, hire someone competent as the next coach and not just a patronage reward as seemed to be the case as Tomsula. It's like if Belichick retired tomorrow and Kraft bypasses Josh and Matt and chooses Brendan Daly as head coach. That's rewarding people for political reasons and not because it's the best move for the team. That's the sign of an owner not worth working for. If he even hired any coordinator in the league it'd be a different story.
So you would agree that the right thing to do is fire the man who made that decision, especially after he makes a second bad one?
That's what happened.
I have no issue with, given the choice of baalke (which I disagreed with but understand the thinking) you let your GM hire, and if your GM thinks he built a winner and just needs to promote from within, that's his call. That is OWNERSHIP SUPPORT. Everyone with any knowledge says Tomsula was one of the best position coaches in the NFL, and was a leader on those winning teams. And he is a quality guy. You don't know he is over his head until he gets the chance.
Given that he was, ownership/Baalke was decisive in doing the right thing.
Kelly gets caught up in the wash because there was just no talent, but 2015 proved Baalke needed to go. Kelly was collateral damage.

Aside from keeping Harbaugh over Baalke, what should York have done?
-Keep Baalke and not let him choose the coach?
-Keep Tomsula?
-Fire Baalke over the Tomsula decison
-Not fire Baalke after this year proved he is the problem?
-Fire Baalke but keep Kelly

or is the answer he shouldn't have made a rich boy owners don't get fired comment?

Only a fool would have chosen Baalke.
In hindsight.
Baalke built a hell of a team before it got torn down.
Baalke or Harbaugh had to go. It isn't only a fool who could guess wrong over whether it was Baalkes talkent or Harbaughs coaching.
It was the wrong decision but it wasn't a no brainer without hindsight.

What's Parcells going to say? He thinks I am a douchebag so he wouldn't work for me?

Tuna might have very well been writing history for Posterity's Sake. Not sure. What we do know is BB knew Kraft wanted him to be GM and that rersonaibility was

Unless it looked like the Redskins because Kraft couldn't find a coach he would give time to. What if BB had lost the snow bowl game then gone 9-7 and missed the playoffs in 2002? Would Kraft have fired him?

Not sure. What I don't know if Bob was comfortable again letting an emperor take over or just comfortable letting BB take over. He was talking to Donahoe too.

but I remember at the 2001 TC in Smithfield saying to my buddy I would be happy with 9-7. Playoffs were a bonus. Just wanted to see progress and trending upward.

Man my expectations were low back then. LOL.

I mostly agree but the groceries were pretty good for a while. It's at least arguable.

Harbaugh, year one, took that team from 6-10 to 13-3.

That's not because of Baalke's groceries.

Again, only a fool would have chosen Baalke over Harbaugh.

So you would agree that the right thing to do is fire the man who made that decision, especially after he makes a second bad one?
That's what happened.
I have no issue with, given the choice of baalke (which I disagreed with but understand the thinking) you let your GM hire, and if your GM thinks he built a winner and just needs to promote from within, that's his call. That is OWNERSHIP SUPPORT. Everyone with any knowledge says Tomsula was one of the best position coaches in the NFL, and was a leader on those winning teams. And he is a quality guy. You don't know he is over his head until he gets the chance.
Given that he was, ownership/Baalke was decisive in doing the right thing.
Kelly gets caught up in the wash because there was just no talent, but 2015 proved Baalke needed to go. Kelly was collateral damage.

Aside from keeping Harbaugh over Baalke, what should York have done?
-Keep Baalke and not let him choose the coach?
-Keep Tomsula?
-Fire Baalke over the Tomsula decison
-Not fire Baalke after this year proved he is the problem?
-Fire Baalke but keep Kelly

or is the answer he shouldn't have made a rich boy owners don't get fired comment?
Keep Baalke/Tomsula one more year to demonstrate that you don't change your mind every damn year. Every coaching hire should get two years no matter what to give them a fair chance.

Then fire them both if its as bad as expected and give the new GM a clean slate. If York did that then maybe Josh would have felt more certain in taking that job now.

Honestly Chip Kelly should've been smart enough to stay away. I'm glad Josh finally came around for his sake.

In hindsight.
Baalke or Harbaugh had to go. It isn't only a fool who could guess wrong over whether it was Baalkes talkent or Harbaughs coaching.

You're talking crazy. Harbaugh's a grating personality, and you might fire him because of that, independent of any choice situation. However, in a choice situation, you fire Baalke, without question.

In hindsight.

It was a no brainer then. EVERYONE knew York was making the wrong decision to fire Harbaugh over Baalke. He was the only one who was oblivious to it. And since he didnt he needed to allow time for the coaches he did hire to do something. Very rarely is a team going to get turned around in a year. You keep saying this like what was he supposed to do let them keep failing. Well he certainly wasn't giving them time to succeed. And the one coach who had success he fired. Not sure why you seem to bewildered that people would view 4 head coaches in 4 years as reckless and overreactive.

That's not to say York has finally learned from his mistakes. He very well may have but right now he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

Tuna might have very well been writing history for Posterity's Sake. Not sure. What we do know is BB knew Kraft wanted him to be GM and that rersonaibility was

Not sure. What I don't know if Bob was comfortable again letting an emperor take over or just comfortable letting BB take over. He was talking to Donahoe too.

but I remember at the 2001 TC in Smithfield saying to my buddy I would be happy with 9-7. Playoffs were a bonus. Just wanted to see progress and trending upward.

Man my expectations were low back then. LOL.
I saw what BB was doing from day 1, and loved it. It was obvious to me he came here to win championships not to keep his job or be competitive. The 2000 team was the first sign. BB could have coached that group to a winning record, if that season was all that mattered, but it would have set his plan backward.
He came in knowing what was needed to win a championship, and played that way from day 1, whether he had the right players or not, or whether it was the right way to use the players he had.
That showed him what he really had, what he needed to get rid of and what he needed to bring in.
But I didn't even think the turnaround would come as fast, and I could never expected the best run in NFL history.

You're talking crazy. Harbaugh's a grating personality, and you might fire him because of that, independent of any choice situation. However, in a choice situation, you fire Baalke, without question.
Baalke built the team. He did a tremendous job with the draft.
Hindsight proves your opinion is right, but decisions aren't made in hindsight.
And it was keep Harbaugh the coach, it was give Harbaugh total control, which further clouds it.
Lets not forget Harbaugh was also out trolling for jobs.

Not black and white in 2014.

It was a no brainer then. EVERYONE knew York was making the wrong decision to fire Harbaugh over Baalke. He was the only one who was oblivious to it. And since he didnt he needed to allow time for the coaches he did hire to do something. Very rarely is a team going to get turned around in a year. You keep saying this like what was he supposed to do let them keep failing. Well he certainly wasn't giving them time to succeed. And the one coach who had success he fired. Not sure why you seem to bewildered that people would view 4 head coaches in 4 years as reckless and overreactive.

That's not to say York has finally learned from his mistakes. He very well may have but right now he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.
No, it was a choice between the guy who acquired the talent and the guy who coached it. Not a no brainer at all. Look at Baalke's drafts. The team won because of defense, and Baalke built the defense.

What was Tomsula turning around? He took over a good team. He was over his head. You want to keep him around when he can't do the job?

So after Harbaugh leave, what would you have done?

Ultimnately Harbaughs decision to make Kaepernick the QB was a huge factor in the decline.

I saw what BB was doing from day 1, and loved it. It was obvious to me he came here to win championships not to keep his job or be competitive. The 2000 team was the first sign. BB could have coached that group to a winning record, if that season was all that mattered, but it would have set his plan backward.
He came in knowing what was needed to win a championship, and played that way from day 1, whether he had the right players or not, or whether it was the right way to use the players he had.
That showed him what he really had, what he needed to get rid of and what he needed to bring in.
But I didn't even think the turnaround would come as fast, and I could never expected the best run in NFL history.

I admit I did not like the BB hire. There was a rumor that Coughin was on the outs in JAX and I wanted Bob to pry him loose.

However once BB got here I also had zero issue with the tear down in 2000. I was so done with the Carroll/Grier era and Wacznchuk the cap moron who signed off on these deals and Kraft and his freaking stopwatch getting hammered in the owners box and Leslie Visser pressing him on a new stadium. It was embarrassing.

The Carroll TCs were a boy scout summer camp compared to BBs. It was amazing. Seemed like something out of the Junction Boys. LOL. Loved it.

I remember early in Harbaugh's last season stories coming out about the players were growing tired of his act and starting to tune him out. I always took his firing as him losing his grip on the team more so than losing the head to head battle with the GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back