PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels will NOT accept 49ers job (Edit: Kyle Shanahan expected to become HC in San Fran)

Status
Not open for further replies.
York had to chose between his GM and his coach. He chose wrong, but did it by choosing a GM who was doing a very good job and letting a coach go who was abominably arrogant.
Baalke made 2 bad HC decisions.
What would you want York to do? Keep letting Baalke screw up? Fire Baalke and keep Chip Kelly?
York has clearly stated that this is not an overnight fix, and he must be patient.

Did you really see anything that happened on the football field that would tell you Tomsula or Kelly deserved to keep their jobs? Are you saying he would be better to just be a nice guy and let the team keep floundering?

You are contradicting yourself. Firing a coach after 1 year is not being patient. Sometimes you have a losing season as you build it back up. Not saying Kelly or Tomsula were the answer (they weren't) but he definitely was not being patient. They already seem determined to hire a coach before the GM. What difference would it have made to keep the coach you have and hire the GM? Let your new GM and coach work together and if it doesn't then the GM decides who to let go. They are doing everything ass backwards as it is might as well keep it going.

I think it all comes down to ownership stability and organizational philosophy of the franchise for JMD.

There are maybe 10-15 franchises run by stable owners.

The other 2/3s are missing one of those characteristics.

I'm also assuming he won't go somewhere in the AFC East.

Seems like there aren't many teams to choose from right now.

To your point, JMD seems to be thumbing his nose to the risker landing spots and shutting himself out of opportunities that guys like Kyle Shanahan or others are OK with.

My gut tells me JMD wants to be a HC but ONLY what BB got in NE and Carroll in SEA. An owner who will be supportive, patient and let him pick the players and his front-office.
He will probably be waiting a long time.

It tells me he is looking for the right job, he wouldn't do multiple interviews if he was locked in to replace Belichick
I think he still would, but you are right he is looking for the right job. DET, NO, CINN, IND, NYJ or CHI all strike me as better jobs than what was out there this year.

You are contradicting yourself. Firing a coach after 1 year is not being patient. Sometimes you have a losing season as you build it back up. Not saying Kelly or Tomsula were the answer (they weren't) but he definitely was not being patient. They already seem determined to hire a coach before the GM. What difference would it have made to keep the coach you have and hire the GM? Let your new GM and coach work together and if it doesn't then the GM decides who to let go. They are doing everything ass backwards as it is might as well keep it going.
Umm, his comments about patience were after he blew it up.

I am not defending York, but I see the sense here.
Harbaugh and Baalke are at odds, one must go. Other than Monday morning QBing, that was a tough call.
Baalke hires Tomsula, to keep the status quo, he was a loyal solider and did a tremendous job as an assistant.
Tomsula was over his head. I think he may have resigned if he hadn't been fired tbh.
Do you blow it up then? Do you give up on your guy who was the GM that turned your franchise around after 1 year? If course not.
Let him hire a new coach.

A year later its clear that you are going in the wrong direction. Baalke is not getting the job done.
The right move is to clean house.
If you are suggesting he keep Baalke, I disagree.
If you are suggesting he fire Baalke and keep Chip Kelly, I laugh.

He made the wrong decision with harbaugh/Baalke but its a hard one to kill him on. What has followed makes sense and is not an indication of impatience of ownership IMO, its actually decisive, and which move would you think is wrong?

He will probably be waiting a long time.

I think he will too.

His other problem might be an delusional, inflated sense of professional accomplishment and a successful track record of personnel decisions.

Even though they were fired by moron owners, BB could point to CLE as having done a good job ( I think he did) and even Stinky Pete could say the Jets were in decline and had zero control and he did a decent job in NE (meh) without control and at USC (which he did have control ) where he did well.

I think he still would, but you are right he is looking for the right job. DET, NO, CINN, IND, NYJ or CHI all strike me as better jobs than what was out there this year.
If SF ownership is unacceptable just about every team you just named is as bad or worse.
I guess Chicago is in a comfort zone of quiet failure, but the rest are awful ownership.

I think he will too.

His other problem might be an delusional, inflated sense of professional accomplishment.

Even though they were fired by moron owners, BB could point to CLE as having done a good job ( I think he did) and even Stinky Pete could say the Jets were in decline and had zero control and he did a decent job in NE (meh) without control and at USC (which he did have control ) where he did well.
Carroll wasn't getting another NFL job. SC saved his career.

BB may not have gotten another job if he didn't work a year for Kraft and impress him (and if Parcells wasn't so lazy he skipped the owners meetings and sent BB to bond with Kraft)

No way the Jets should be on that list - possibly coming from my Pats fan bias.

We are talking about the Lions right? The team who's best players retire in their prime. The team that has won 1 playoff game in 50 years?

By the way, this team, after making the playoffs 1 time in 14 years, hired Caldwell who had made the playoffs 2 of the last 3. I don't think its a good career move to turn down a job, hoping this guy gets fired, and that you will even be considered much less hired for it.

You keep talking about on field success as if that matters at all. How often does a coaching position become available for a team that has been successful recently ? Failure is usually what makes positions available.

Similarly, Calvin Johnson retiring has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. If you want to hear more about why he retired and why maybe you shouldn't call it his prime then there is a nice recent article about it Calvin Johnson opens up about his retirement

Finally, I have no clue why you are so adamant about Josh (or anyone for that matter) accepting other jobs. He has one of the best jobs in the business right now, surrounded by HoF talent making history and being in the spotlight every year. There is no reason at all for him to not be extremely picky, especially because this will most probably be his last shot at a HC position.

If there is one big thing he should take away from BB's success in New England it is that it always starts with good ownership. Otherwise as soon as success stops everything will go off the rails.

Carroll wasn't getting another NFL job. SC saved his career.

BB may not have gotten another job if he didn't work a year for Kraft and impress him (and if Parcells wasn't so lazy he skipped the owners meetings and sent BB to bond with Kraft)

I agree on Carroll. He was done. He would have become a DC somewhere is my guess.

All speculative but WHAT IF Bob didn't want BB. I'm assuming BB would have stayed on as HC of the NYJ but the problem would have been dealing with Woody once Tuna bolted. Groh lasted a year. He might have survived. Hell Herm Edwards lasted 5 years or so and got a 2nd shot at KC. Who knows...

If SF ownership is unacceptable just about every team you just named is as bad or worse.
I guess Chicago is in a comfort zone of quiet failure, but the rest are awful ownership.

lol

York needs to keep his fingers out of the day-to-day football ops, hire someone that knows his **** and then trust him through the rebuilt. As you can see in the reaction to Josh bowing out throughout the beat reporter world between Boston and SF, York is known to be a pretty unstable and unpredictable person.
You keep talking about on field success as if that matters at all. How often does a coaching position become available for a team that has been successful recently ? Failure is usually what makes positions available.
That's exactly what I have been saying all along. But how can you dismiss success in judging an organization?

Similarly, Calvin Johnson retiring has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. If you want to hear more about why he retired and why maybe you shouldn't call it his prime then there is a nice recent article about it Calvin Johnson opens up about his retirement

Finally, I have no clue why you are so adamant about Josh (or anyone for that matter) accepting other jobs. He has one of the best jobs in the business right now, surrounded by HoF talent making history and being in the spotlight every year. There is no reason at all for him to not be extremely picky, especially because this will most probably be his last shot at a HC position.
I am not adamant about anything I am giving my viewpoint.
I think he should consider offers to be potentially his last shot a HC job rather than expect he can pick his job. Time will tell, but history shows many deserving guys never seeing that offer come along.

If there is one big thing he should take away from BB's success in New England it is that it always starts with good ownership. Otherwise as soon as success stops everything will go off the rails.
I think you are taking BBs success and calling that good ownership.

Exactly what you are implying bad ownership would do, is what Kraft did before BB got here.
Parcells rebuilt the team, and Kraft chose Bobby Grier over him. That is every bit as bad as choosing Trent Baalke over Jim Harbaugh.
Pete Carroll made the playoffs in 2 of his 3 seasons didnt have a losing season and was fired. Griers GM job left him bereft of talent, so bad BB when 5-11 his first year.

Kraft looked every bit the meddling, impatient owner that people are calling York. Given his deflategate performance, perhaps Kraft is just the recipient of BB telling him to stay out of the way.

In my estimation the SF job is the 2nd worst HC job in the NFL right now. An insane meddling owner with a quick trigger finger. It always surprised me that this was the job with the most mutual interest with Josh.

My list of worst jobs would go like this:
1. Jets. Owner insists you win now. Foists moves like the Tebow trade on you. Plus, it's the Jets.
2. SF
3. Colts unless they fire Grigson. On the plus side, Paganos still employed even if Irsay is making overtures to Chucky.
4. Bills. New owners seem very meddlesome.
5. Cowboys should be here, but they've seemed to learn how to rein in Jerruh. Washington too. I haven't heard too many recent stories of interference. I don't want to say the Browns or Jags even though they've sucked as the regimes seem to have been given their fair chance to succeed. Maybe Houston if it's true that Ostweiler was forced upon BoB.

Best jobs would be the ones with stable supportive ownership. Pit, NE, Bal, KC, Cin, Sea. Even if some are less successful than others the coaches have been given the chance to succeed.

All that's to say I think Josh is wise to say no to SF. Odds are he'd be out of a job again in 3 or 4 years for things out of his control.

I agree on Carroll. He was done. He would have become a DC somewhere is my guess.

All speculative but WHAT IF Bob didn't want BB. I'm assuming BB would have stayed on as HC of the NYJ but the problem would have been dealing with Woody once Tuna bolted. Groh lasted a year. He might have survived. Hell Herm Edwards lasted 5 years or so and got a 2nd shot at KC. Who knows...
I think BBs issue was he expected Parcells to stay.

Continuing your what if, had BB not come here, would the Patriots have ever won, or would we have gone through half a dozen Carroll like regimes or worse?

Mike Loyko ‏@NEPD_Loyko 2m2 minutes ago
Very smart move by McDaniels when you look ahead to jobs that could potentially open next year: Colts, Bears, Lions, Saints, CAR, Cincy

Good point.

Agreed, excellent point. With the Bears, if he came in with an actual quarterback (Jimmy G., who Mike Lombardi says is going with Josh) he could turn around things fast. The Lions are already pretty good if their front office (and drafting) could be upgraded. The Saints still have Brees for a few more years, and at least the owner isn't as bad as York. I wouldn't think Carolina would be looking for a coach, but if so that would be an ideal situation with a top quarterback. Cincy would also be a great situation, lots of talent, a semi-decent quarterback, and a front office with a ton of patience with the coach (obviously).

.....And then, there is the Colts, my nightmare destination for Josh. The negatives are a really bad owner who has kept on the league's worst GM, Grigson, but surely he will smarten up and get rid of Grigson soon. IMHO, that league-worst-GM (and I don't think it is close) has mostly ruined a quarterback that could have become really special in the right organization. Suppose Josh was able to convince Irsay to bring him and Caserio to run the show? I think that Luck could still be one of the best quarterbacks in the league if he was in a decent organization. There are other quarterbacks in the past stuck playing (mostly badly) in horrible organizations who resurrected their career later in life at the right organization, think of Vinne Testaverde or Steve Young or Jim Plunkett. After a few years to repair Grigson's screw ups, I could see the Colts under Caserio and Josh being really scary. I know that probably others don't agree, but that is why we have boards like this to spout off unsubstantiated opinions. ;)

I think BBs issue was he expected Parcells to stay.

If you believe Parcells's account in his book, BBs problem was with uncertain ownership and who was actually empowered to make the football decisions.

Continuing your what if, had BB not come here, would the Patriots have ever won, or would we have gone through half a dozen Carroll like regimes or worse?

It would have looked like 1981-1989. Some good seasons with a fun ride. Some disastrous seasons. Mostly mediocrity. Just like every other NFL franchise.

I would say that if Grigson got canned and you could bring in your own GM, the Colts job goes to the top of the list. Irsay is on too much meth to meddle in the football operations. It's all Grigson and Irsays bizarre loyalty to him that's poisoning the well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes