PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels will NOT accept 49ers job (Edit: Kyle Shanahan expected to become HC in San Fran)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know @AndyJohnson will disagree but it's the right move. There is no reason to assume that his name will get less "hot" until next year and there might be better openings available then (e.g. Bears, Lions.. maybe Titans if they **** the bed).
Next year he'll be 41 and his kids will still be young and those cities are half way across the country...

Just sayin'...

Hmm maybe he's angling for the next NYJ regime change? :D

Dude...coaching in the NFL isn't a morality play. Why wouldn't he want to go somewhere with a quality guy under center already?
Because at least for the Colts - that organization has done horrible things to his current employer.

I am glad Josh is staying.

Next year he'll be 41 and his kids will still be young and those cities are half way across the country...

Just sayin'...

Hmm maybe he's angling for the next NYJ regime change? :D

That's all true.. my point is that Jed York and his clown show is not the kind of owner I would move my entire family cross-country. Places like Chicago or Detroit have good ownership that would give him a reasonable amount of time to built something. Detroit, Tennessee (if Mularkey completely ****s the bed) or the Bucs also have that ex-Patriots front office connection.

I am glad he is focusing on the Pats and the SB.

But I will post this now, if stays with us this year only to bolt for the Colts or Packers in the next one to two seasons I will lose tons of respect for him.

The 49ers weren't a great situation, but they had tons of cap space, the #2 pick, and rich tradition. He could have built from scratch.

If he is waiting for a job opening with a guy like Luck or Rodgers, he is looking for the easy way.

As has been reported, his wife was reluctant to move their 4 kids across the country if it wasn't for the long term. Yeah, SF has cap space and the #2 pick. They also have an owner that has fired 3 head coaches in 24 months.

Family is something we as fans tend to overlook when it comes to free agents. Moving isn't always simple. Coaches are no different.

So no, I don't blame McDaniels at all if he's looking for a more stable situation if he's going to uproot his family.

I still think Josh is going to end up in Indianapolis within the next 12 months, thought it all along despite people thinking he would never take that job due to their rivalry with the Patriots.

He needs a QB and a winnable division for his 2nd and final chance.

This rocks. Both coaches kept and the thought of going elsewhere out of their heads.

If its true that because of the uncertainly of the situation he was unwilling to put his wife and small children through that level of risk and uproot their lives for his professional goals, I have a tremendous about of respect for JMD as a person. Thats a pretty unselfish thing to do. Hes a mans man.

Absolutely. Uprooting 4 young kids 3000 miles across the country quickly had to be a part of this decision. Plus the 9ers ownership is toxic. Wouldn't have been a good look.

Watch the 9ers be that idiotic annoying BF/GF texting him continiously like a Kim K (I love you, I need you, when are you coming?) and he says "F that".

That's all true.. my point is that Jed York and his clown show is not the kind of owner I would move my entire family cross-country. Places like Chicago or Detroit have good ownership that would give him a reasonable amount of time to built something. Detroit, Tennessee (if Mularkey completely ****s the bed) or the Bucs also have that ex-Patriots front office connection.
I would never chose Detroit over SF. If you want to raise young kids I would think the Bay Area would have a lot more to offer (I have never lived in Detroit, but did just relocate from the Philadelphia area to San Francisco- so bias disclosed).
York has been a clown, but maybe he can learn. I mean SF does have a young roster, tons of cap space, and a lot of draft capital.

The team is bad now, I am just saying there are some pieces to work with.

it's all about happy wife, happy life
Yep. Kids too.

I do believe Josh will take a HC job somewhere and eventually his family will relocate but it has to be the right situation at the right time for the right reasons.

Clearly in SF that was not the case.

Mike Loyko ‏@NEPD_Loyko 2m2 minutes ago
Very smart move by McDaniels when you look ahead to jobs that could potentially open next year: Colts, Bears, Lions, Saints, CAR, Cincy

Good point.

You can say a lot of things about Mike Brown and the Bengals, but every one of his head coaches has had at least 3 years to do his thing. Dave Shula got more than 4 and he lost 3 out of every 4 games.

San Fran will be on its 4th coach in 4 seasons.

As has been reported, his wife was reluctant to move their 4 kids across the country if it wasn't for the long term. Yeah, SF has cap space and the #2 pick. They also have an owner that has fired 3 head coaches in 24 months.

Family is something we as fans tend to overlook when it comes to free agents. Moving isn't always simple. Coaches are no different.

So no, I don't blame McDaniels at all if he's looking for a more stable situation if he's going to uproot his family.
I think you summed it up best. He just couldn't trust he would get the 4 years he needed so I don't blame him for passing.

But if he goes to Indy, I will be disappointed. Their owner is even worse than York (as a human being at least).

I know @AndyJohnson will disagree but it's the right move. There is no reason to assume that his name will get less "hot" until next year and there might be better openings available then (e.g. Bears, Lions.. maybe Titans if they **** the bed).
I don't know if its the right move or not, but, if true, it is a curious decision to pass up the chance to be a HC and may mean he will stay in NE for a long time.
Maybe he just doesn't really want to be a HC?

Unless they get rid of Grigson I dont think he will be taking any calls from Indy. Carolina Saints and Bengals are not getting rid of their coaches. Only good (potential) options next season would be Bears, Lions and Titans. They have some solid foundations (Bears would be the biggest project) and patient owners who dont meddle.

I would never chose Detroit over SF. If you want to raise young kids I would think the Bay Area would have a lot more to offer (I have never lived in Detroit, but did just relocate from the Philadelphia area to San Francisco- so bias disclosed).
York has been a clown, but maybe he can learn. I mean SF does have a young roster, tons of cap space, and a lot of draft capital.

The team is bad now, I am just saying there are some pieces to work with.

The Fords have been a damn good owner for a long time. York has been through 3 or 4 coaches in the same number of years. Could he change and give full control to the GM and coach ? Sure.. but don't forget that he is a rich person in Silicon Valley and all his other rich friends and peers are mostly startup people. The mentality and attitude of many of them is just "iterate and fail" which is exactly the wrong thing to do as an NFL owner.

How young are his kids? If preschool or elementary age then now is a better time to move them than later. Though it's never a good time if it's expected to be for only a few years.

I don't know if its the right move or not, but, if true, it is a curious decision to pass up the chance to be a HC and may mean he will stay in NE for a long time.
Maybe he just doesn't really want to be a HC?

I think he does but as many have said he wants a perfect situation for him. You dont interview with multiple teams if you arent interested in being a HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore