PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle thoughts: A new era.

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't been contributing the last several months for a few reasons. I have had to deal with some health and personal issues, and the board had become so negative and predictable. But I have been lurking and since the Pats are starting a new era, I have a overload of thoughts and opinions that need to be expressed or my head will explode. So here I am. Hope you find it worth the read since it might be long. (what a shock) ;)'

1. Bill Bellicheck - Bill the coach is STILL an excellent HC. You only had to see how hard the players kept playing and how close most of the games were with a subpar roster DESPITE the adversity of playing on a bad team. to clearly see that. However , Bill has to also take the full responsibility FOR that subpar roster too. All teams go through a draft drought. In the end it;s a crap shoot and teams spent an enormous amount of time and money to lower those odds, and STILL pick more losers than winners. Most teams usually have 6-9 picks each year and their ideal outcome that they hope to get is 2 starters and 2 rotational players THAT's a great draft by any measure, EVERY team misses on about 50% of their picks and EVERY team bypasses guy who turn out to be great players elsewhere.

Make no mistake about it Bill can STILL coach and game plane at an elite level. But I have come to terms with him leaving because of the drafting, player acquisitions, and staff mistakes have become too obvious to overlook. I would have been OK to keep him, IF he was agreeable to giving up his final say on the draft and FA decisions and having a GM. I believe that's the issue that is holding up him getting another job.

In conclusion, I believe Bill is the GOAT HC in the NFL. He fielded a Championship contender for close to 20 years, in a league that was designed to make that impossible with players and coaches constantly moving, and the cap. He DID the impossible. This is the first year we have had a pick inside the top 10 since 2001. Don't forget even in the last 4 seasons since Tom left, the Pats, on the last game of the season, either were in contention to get into the playoffs or got in, in 3 of them. The nitpickers and 2nd guessers can shout away the fact that literally had a GENERATION of great, competitive teams to root for. That CANNOT be wiped out by one horrible season.

2. Mac Jones. We broke Mac Jones. The universal wisdom is that Mac Jones sucks and the last 2 years are proof of that. But I cannot get out of my head the QB I saw back in 2001 who was smart, accurate and tough. The guy who had great numbers without a great supporting cast. The guy who NONE of us didn't think he had a great future going forward. THAT guy is still there and IMHO will be a capable NFL starter some day, but likely not here.

However there are a few scenarios where I can see him being on the roster nextt season. If last season proves anything, you better have a quality back up at QB because you are going to need him at some point in the season. So even if we draft a QB at #3m, IF Mac has a good camp, he could end up being that quality back up. In an ideal situation, Mac gets a chance to show he is the guy he was in 2021 and we can get a decent pick or player for him. Remember he's only played 3 seasons. The Packer QB was in his 4th when he broke out.

3. Who of OUR free agents to sign.

I think there are guys I'd LIKE to resign and guys that I think are priority signings and we NEED to keep. You can't keep them all
a. Owenu - quality performer at 2 positions. He WILL get some offers in the 18-20M range
b. Duggar- is a top 3 safety in this class. He too will have to get a market deal
c. Mills - Mills played an important role in our 7th ranked D and his versitility brings flexability and depth to the D
d, Henry - Henry was solid again and we need to keep something at a depleted TE position. But I wouldn't break the bank for him
e. Uche - He's a solid Robin to Judon's Batman, but he isn't a batman alone. I'd like him on the team but I wouldn't break the bank for him
f. P Brown- I liked what I saw for him. He's a solid #3 or #4 TE. He seemed to catch everything thrown to him and was decent after the catch
g. Wilson- Mac was much improved this season when he got his chance and we need speed at the LB spot.
h. Bryant- the kid has improved every year he's been here and 2023 was his best yet. He's a great guy to have around as secondary depth

I think the first 2 are MUST signs and as for the last six I would like to see at least 4 comming back. Your list my have different rankings, I look forward to your thoughts

4. FA's to sign in Feburary

The first thing we have to realize is that we are not the FA destination that we have been the last 25 years. We have a rookie HC, a losing season, and a LOT of holes to fill. Players want the money of course, but they also want to win. With the kind of money players make these days, it doesn't take a career to become financially independent, they can do now in a season. So it might take 2 years to rebuild the roster to the point where we are ready to compete for the playoffs constantly. So if we want to sign any February FA's we are going to have do overpay.

I was looking at a list of FA's and there was only ONE OT in the first 20 (T Smith at 14) he's the only lock LT available and HE has a long history of injuries and missed games) The next OT on the list was TBrown at 22 with Owenu the next at 25. So clearly the BEST option is to sign our own guy as our OL FA signings. Unfortunately this isn't a great OT FA class and I have mixed feelings about Trent. He's great when he plays and is motivated, but he is a guy who seems to play when he feels like it. I'm not sure I want that kind of selfish guy on my team. But maybe Mayo HAS a connection to him that will get to be the guy we saw in 2018 again.

The WR group looks decent, but our current QB situation again doesn't make us a destination for any true #1 WR's However there is a deep class of DL/Edge guys who I think would be an upgrade over Uche. Guys like Allen, Burns, and Huff. Guys who would be #1s on most teams. Signing one of the make our pass rush simply DANGEROUS.

Last edited:
Staying on the DL, there are also several upgrades available for interior DLmen. Image pairing a vastly improving Barmore (who we should extend before the season) with a Wilkerson or LWilliams. I'm starting to believe that the best way to stop any good passing offense is pressure up the middle. Last season the Pats werre pretty good at that, but mostly by gaming the middle. With a good pass rushing DI next to Barmore we wouldn't need to. As a lower cost option I wouldn't mind taking a close look at Morice Hurst. who has a great pass rush grade WHEN he is on the field which hasn't been often. .

On the offensive side I'm wondering if we aren't better off just rebuilding it through the draft. Kurt Cousins would be a great draw, but he isn't going to a rebuilding team. Maybe guys like Tannehill, Mariota, Minchew or TTaylor would come in for a couple of years and improve their markets while we develop a young raw QB like Daniels or Maye and be a mentor. I'd be OK with that plan if QB is what we are going to go with in the draft.

WR's - Obiviously a big need. I'm kind of intregued by guys like Reagor and Boute. I think at least one of them will develop into an NFL starting WR. In the draft I hope we get a day 2 WR, as we have seen in past year always finds good WR's all through the draft. Nacua being this year's example as well a Douglas in the 6th. And who knows the 3rd year MIGHT be the year Thornton turns the corner. :eek:

As I have said we should resign Henry and Brown and see what's in the draft for a more athletic TE or just resign Geseki in April if there isn't anyone in the draft you liked. AND I'm still on the Austin Eckler bandwagon.

5. OC - I was listening to some sports show talking about Mayo and it was mentioned that the first coaching hire that Sean McVay made was Wade Phillips, an experienced HC and DC. It turned out to be a great hire for the youngest HC in the league. A guy who can help guide him through ALL the responsibilities of being an NFL HC, as well as give him an experienced proven guy in an area that was not McVays expertise. I think we need that here in our choice of OC.

The case for Josh McDaniels as OC - Clearly Josh failed as a HC. He's just not a good enough leader to run an entire operation. BUT he has proven he could run a very effective offense in an area Mayo doesn't have. We all know that we learn the most from our failures, so Josh can help Mayo avoid pitfalls of being a HC that he didn't. He brings the same kind of addition LA made when they Hired Phillips who was also a failed HC Josh wouldn't be the first great OC who didn't cut it as a HC. Well we are not looking for a HC, but we need an EXPERIENCED OC. Seems like a no brainer to me.

6, The draft - Looking at the draft based on talent alone all of the top 3 guys are great prospects, but it is my belief that only Caleb Williams is truly ready to be a day one starter in 2024. Maye and Daniels both would best be served by sitting for a year and both will be worth the wait. I think this will be essential because it WILL take 2 drafts to solidify both the OL TE and receiver situations. Maybe it will happen sooner but conservitively I'm thinking 2. With a good draft and a few hits in FA we COULD contend for a playoff bid, but to compete for a championship it will take 2 years.

But the key to ANY draft are the hits you make after the first day. I can't help thinking that there is at LEAST a 33% chance that we pick the QB who fails because one of them will if history has anything to say. That is just the way it is. If Daniels is there, I'd take him because he has the highest upside for any of top QB's. If its Maye I'm a little less sure. Too many Zach Wilson comparisons at THIS point. But Wilson's problems are not in his ability but in his head. If I'm REALLY confident with the mental side of Maye I guess I'd take him. Otherwise I wouldn't mind a trade down up to seven or eight spots which will likely get you a top 2 or 3 LT and add a few picks in a year you need them. I've use that 11 number because I read that this year there are 11 "sure fire" picks worthy to be in the top 11. I want one of those guys. BTW, can anyone tell me what happened to make us picking at the bottom of the 3rd rather than the top?

7. The REST of the coaching staff: To date we have heard nothing about the rest of the coaching staff for 2024. Right now all I know for certain is we have a HC. No OC, No DC. Is Klemm still the OL coach? If you go to the official Pats web site and hit the coaches button all you get is a picture and profile of Jerad. THAT's it. We know the Pats offered deals to Steve and his brother, but it will be likely they join their dad. But Bill doesn't have a job and I think there are only 3 jobs still open. I think BOTH brother would be better served by staying. Otherwise they will always be saddled by the question, "were their successes on defense their's or Bill's.

Mayo HAS interviewed a few DC candidates, but the time to build a staff is NOW! I hope the Bellichick brothers have a time limit and I hope it ends by the end of this month/ IMHO the 2 most important positions that need to be filled right bow are the OC and QB coach position because it could be likely that whether it by the draft or FA, there will likely be a new QB room next year (even though I hope they at lease allow Mac to compete in TC as the #3 to who gets drafted or who they bring in.)

OK, that's enough. I do have more to say about the league, the officials and the playoffs, but I'll save it for another time. For tonight it will be the Celts vs Miami tonight. A good game. AND I await your thoughts and responses.

Patfanken!!!!!!!

I will say, @Nikolai had some great stand-ins for a minute there in your absence!

Okay, now I'll actually read your post lol.

BTW, can anyone tell me what happened to make us picking at the bottom of the 3rd rather than the top?

Ken, as far as I know they picking where they should.

Round 1: Pick 3
Round 2: Pick 34
Round 3: Pick 68
Round 4: Pick 103
Round 5: Pick 135
Round 6: Pick 181
Round 7 (via Chicago Bears): Pick 228

2. Mac. There was a post here a while ago of a pre-draft scouting report on Mac that I can't find my way back to. It was spot-on as to what we've seen in Mac starting at the latter part of his rookie year. I admit that I was taken in by the excitement of Mac's early success and thought we'd found our franchise QB. In hindsight I recognize that scouting report was dead-on and what we saw in his rookie year was just the book on Mac not being written yet. It was by the end of his rookie year - rush him, make sure he sees you rushing him and be ready to jump on the back-peddled under-throws.

Ken, agree with you on everything, especially BB and Mac Jones. The QB we saw for the first half of 2021 was darn good. If that has been killed, okay. But maybe it hasn’t. (I’m sure I’m in the minority on hope for Mac, but c’est la vie)

And, brother, most importantly, I can’t tell you how happy I am to see you posting again! :)

Welcome back, ken, hope all goes well with you. Liked everything except the WR part can't get blood from a stone.

Staying on the DL, there are also several upgrades available for interior DLmen. Image pairing a vastly improving Barmore (who we should extend before the season) with a Wilkerson or LWilliams. I'm starting to believe that the best way to stop any good passing offense is pressure up the middle. Last season the Pats werre pretty good at that, but mostly by gaming the middle. With a good pass rushing DI next to Barmore we wouldn't need to. As a lower cost option I wouldn't mind taking a close look at Morice Hurst. who has a great pass rush grade WHEN he is on the field which hasn't been often. .

On the offensive side I'm wondering if we aren't better off just rebuilding it through the draft. Kurt Cousins would be a great draw, but he isn't going to a rebuilding team. Maybe guys like Tannehill, Mariota, Minchew or TTaylor would come in for a couple of years and improve their markets while we develop a young raw QB like Daniels or Maye and be a mentor. I'd be OK with that plan if QB is what we are going to go with in the draft.

WR's - Obiviously a big need. I'm kind of intregued by guys like Reagor and Boute. I think at least one of them will develop into an NFL starting WR. In the draft I hope we get a day 2 WR, as we have seen in past year always finds good WR's all through the draft. Nacua being this year's example as well a Douglas in the 6th. And who knows the 3rd year MIGHT be the year Thornton turns the corner. :eek:

As I have said we should resign Henry and Brown and see what's in the draft for a more athletic TE or just resign Geseki in April if there isn't anyone in the draft you liked. AND I'm still on the Austin Eckler bandwagon.

5. OC - I was listening to some sports show talking about Mayo and it was mentioned that the first coaching hire that Sean McVay made was Wade Phillips, an experienced HC and DC. It turned out to be a great hire for the youngest HC in the league. A guy who can help guide him through ALL the responsibilities of being an NFL HC, as well as give him an experienced proven guy in an area that was not McVays expertise. I think we need that here in our choice of OC.

The case for Josh McDaniels as OC - Clearly Josh failed as a HC. He's just not a good enough leader to run an entire operation. BUT he has proven he could run a very effective offense in an area Mayo doesn't have. We all know that we learn the most from our failures, so Josh can help Mayo avoid pitfalls of being a HC that he didn't. He brings the same kind of addition LA made when they Hired Phillips who was also a failed HC Josh wouldn't be the first great OC who didn't cut it as a HC. Well we are not looking for a HC, but we need an EXPERIENCED OC. Seems like a no brainer to me.

6, The draft - Looking at the draft based on talent alone all of the top 3 guys are great prospects, but it is my belief that only Caleb Williams is truly ready to be a day one starter in 2024. Maye and Daniels both would best be served by sitting for a year and both will be worth the wait. I think this will be essential because it WILL take 2 drafts to solidify both the OL TE and receiver situations. Maybe it will happen sooner but conservitively I'm thinking 2. With a good draft and a few hits in FA we COULD contend for a playoff bid, but to compete for a championship it will take 2 years.

But the key to ANY draft are the hits you make after the first day. I can't help thinking that there is at LEAST a 33% chance that we pick the QB who fails because one of them will if history has anything to say. That is just the way it is. If Daniels is there, I'd take him because he has the highest upside for any of top QB's. If its Maye I'm a little less sure. Too many Zach Wilson comparisons at THIS point. But Wilson's problems are not in his ability but in his head. If I'm REALLY confident with the mental side of Maye I guess I'd take him. Otherwise I wouldn't mind a trade down up to seven or eight spots which will likely get you a top 2 or 3 LT and add a few picks in a year you need them. I've use that 11 number because I read that this year there are 11 "sure fire" picks worthy to be in the top 11. I want one of those guys. BTW, can anyone tell me what happened to make us picking at the bottom of the 3rd rather than the top?

7. The REST of the coaching staff: To date we have heard nothing about the rest of the coaching staff for 2024. Right now all I know for certain is we have a HC. No OC, No DC. Is Klemm still the OL coach? If you go to the official Pats web site and hit the coaches button all you get is a picture and profile of Jerad. THAT's it. We know the Pats offered deals to Steve and his brother, but it will be likely they join their dad. But Bill doesn't have a job and I think there are only 3 jobs still open. I think BOTH brother would be better served by staying. Otherwise they will always be saddled by the question, "were their successes on defense their's or Bill's.

Mayo HAS interviewed a few DC candidates, but the time to build a staff is NOW! I hope the Bellichick brothers have a time limit and I hope it ends by the end of this month/ IMHO the 2 most important positions that need to be filled right bow are the OC and QB coach position because it could be likely that whether it by the draft or FA, there will likely be a new QB room next year (even though I hope they at lease allow Mac to compete in TC as the #3 to who gets drafted or who they bring in.)

OK, that's enough. I do have more to say about the league, the officials and the playoffs, but I'll save it for another time. For tonight it will be the Celts vs Miami tonight. A good game. AND I await your thoughts and responses.
I also disagree with regard to Mac Jones. There are many teams where he can compete to be the backup quarterback. I also think that a veteran can be signed for a couple of years, while the top draftee develops.

I see it better for all, and certainly for Mac, if Mac goes elsewhere to get a new start. I suppose I could seem staying as #3 if Josh is hired.

I agree with everything except the drafting of a QB. IMO Caleb Williams is the mentally fragile one and not Maye. Wasn’t it Williams that was crying in his mothers arms in the stands or something like that. I’m not interested in that. Daniels may have more upside than Maye but I think he also has a lower floor.

I also disagree with regard to Mac Jones. There are many teams where he can compete to be the backup quarterback. I also think that a veteran can be signed for a couple of years, while the top draftee develops.

I see it better for all, and certainly for Mac, if Mac goes elsewhere to get a new start. I suppose I could seem staying as #3 if Josh is hired.
I know Mac is very likely done in NE especially if the draft a QB in the first. The reason why I'd like give him a chance to compete in TC is to potentially add value to any potential deal if he has a GREAT camp. RIght now his value is a 7fh rounder.....in 2028.

I do not think he's going to do it here, but if he has a really good camp and ends up as a #2 or a guy who can start the first half of the season while the rookie starts his learning curve and beats him out in practice. If Mac plays, either by plan or injury, and does play back to a 2021 level, then he has value at the end of the year and maybe you can get something as high as a 4th or 5th round pick.

It's a kin to the Chicago situation if they draft Williams #1, though Fields' market is obviously much higher. a few good games would vastly increase Mac's market.

I know Mac is very likely done in NE especially if the draft a QB in the first. The reason why I'd like give him a chance to compete in TC is to potentially add value to any potential deal if he has a GREAT camp. RIght now his value is a 7fh rounder.....in 2028. I do not think he's going to do it here, but if he has a really good camp and ends up as a #2 or a guy who can start the first half of the season while the rookie starts his learning curve and beats him out in practice. If Mac plays, either by plan or injury, and does play back to a 2021 level, then he has value at the end of the year and maybe you can get something as high as a 4th or 5th round pick.

It's a kin to the Chicago situation if they draft Williams #1, though Fields' market is obviously much higher. a few good games would vastly increase his market.
I understand, only if Josh is here.

I don't want to take significant reps from our veteran starter or from our draftee.

I don't see how our #3 can have a great camp. I suppose we would need a personal coach (and I'm Ok with that). The other coaches should be too busy. But I agree that It is indeed worth hiring a coach and his time to improve an asset from a 7th to a 4th.

That's a good plan too. Maybe a Tannehill or Mariota. Or even take a shot at Carson Wentz on a prove it deal to improve his market. The Bottom line here is, if we do end up with a QB as we are likely to do, both prospects will be better off in the long run if they sit most of the first year The two best QB's of this century sat their first year's

I haven't been contributing the last several months for a few reasons. I have had to deal with some health and personal issues, and the board had become so negative and predictable. But I have been lurking and since the Pats are starting a new era, I have a overload of thoughts and opinions that need to be expressed or my head will explode. So here I am. Hope you find it worth the read since it might be long. (what a shock) ;)'

1. Bill Bellicheck - Bill the coach is STILL an excellent HC. You only had to see how hard the players kept playing and how close most of the games were with a subpar roster DESPITE the adversity of playing on a bad team. to clearly see that. However , Bill has to also take the full responsibility FOR that subpar roster too. All teams go through a draft drought. In the end it;s a crap shoot and teams spent an enormous amount of time and money to lower those odds, and STILL pick more losers than winners. Most teams usually have 6-9 picks each year and their ideal outcome that they hope to get is 2 starters and 2 rotational players THAT's a great draft by any measure, EVERY team misses on about 50% of their picks and EVERY team bypasses guy who turn out to be great players elsewhere.

Make no mistake about it Bill can STILL coach and game plane at an elite level. But I have come to terms with him leaving because of the drafting, player acquisitions, and staff mistakes have become too obvious to overlook. I would have been OK to keep him, IF he was agreeable to giving up his final say on the draft and FA decisions and having a GM. I believe that's the issue that is holding up him getting another job.

In conclusion, I believe Bill is the GOAT HC in the NFL. He fielded a Championship contender for close to 20 years, in a league that was designed to make that impossible with players and coaches constantly moving, and the cap. He DID the impossible. This is the first year we have had a pick inside the top 10 since 2001. Don't forget even in the last 4 seasons since Tom left, the Pats, on the last game of the season, either were in contention to get into the playoffs or got in, in 3 of them. The nitpickers and 2nd guessers can shout away the fact that literally had a GENERATION of great, competitive teams to root for. That CANNOT be wiped out by one horrible season.

2. Mac Jones. We broke Mac Jones. The universal wisdom is that Mac Jones sucks and the last 2 years are proof of that. But I cannot get out of my head the QB I saw back in 2001 who was smart, accurate and tough. The guy who had great numbers without a great supporting cast. The guy who NONE of us didn't think he had a great future going forward. THAT guy is still there and IMHO will be a capable NFL starter some day, but likely not here.

However there are a few scenarios where I can see him being on the roster nextt season. If last season proves anything, you better have a quality back up at QB because you are going to need him at some point in the season. So even if we draft a QB at #3m, IF Mac has a good camp, he could end up being that quality back up. In an ideal situation, Mac gets a chance to show he is the guy he was in 2021 and we can get a decent pick or player for him. Remember he's only played 3 seasons. The Packer QB was in his 4th when he broke out.

3. Who of OUR free agents to sign.

I think there are guys I'd LIKE to resign and guys that I think are priority signings and we NEED to keep. You can't keep them all
a. Owenu - quality performer at 2 positions. He WILL get some offers in the 18-20M range
b. Duggar- is a top 3 safety in this class. He too will have to get a market deal
c. Mills - Mills played an important role in our 7th ranked D and his versitility brings flexability and depth to the D
d, Henry - Henry was solid again and we need to keep something at a depleted TE position. But I wouldn't break the bank for him
e. Uche - He's a solid Robin to Judon's Batman, but he isn't a batman alone. I'd like him on the team but I wouldn't break the bank for him
f. P Brown- I liked what I saw for him. He's a solid #3 or #4 TE. He seemed to catch everything thrown to him and was decent after the catch
g. Wilson- Mac was much improved this season when he got his chance and we need speed at the LB spot.
h. Bryant- the kid has improved every year he's been here and 2023 was his best yet. He's a great guy to have around as secondary depth

I think the first 2 are MUST signs and as for the last six I would like to see at least 4 comming back. Your list my have different rankings, I look forward to your thoughts

4. FA's to sign in Feburary

The first thing we have to realize is that we are not the FA destination that we have been the last 25 years. We have a rookie HC, a losing season, and a LOT of holes to fill. Players want the money of course, but they also want to win. With the kind of money players make these days, it doesn't take a career to become financially independent, they can do now in a season. So it might take 2 years to rebuild the roster to the point where we are ready to compete for the playoffs constantly. So if we want to sign any February FA's we are going to have do overpay.

I was looking at a list of FA's and there was only ONE OT in the first 20 (T Smith at 14) he's the only lock LT available and HE has a long history of injuries and missed games) The next OT on the list was TBrown at 22 with Owenu the next at 25. So clearly the BEST option is to sign our own guy as our OL FA signings. Unfortunately this isn't a great OT FA class and I have mixed feelings about Trent. He's great when he plays and is motivated, but he is a guy who seems to play when he feels like it. I'm not sure I want that kind of selfish guy on my team. But maybe Mayo HAS a connection to him that will get to be the guy we saw in 2018 again.

The WR group looks decent, but our current QB situation again doesn't make us a destination for any true #1 WR's However there is a deep class of DL/Edge guys who I think would be an upgrade over Uche. Guys like Allen, Burns, and Huff. Guys who would be #1s on most teams. Signing one of the make our pass rush simply DANGEROUS.
Huff and Allen would be very nice signings for the D. I would let walk (or trade) Judon. He'll be 32 and want a hefty pay increase. Huff and Allen are younger, and given Jennings (if resigned), would be nice for our Edge.

I don't want to take significant reps from our veteran starter or from our draftee.

I don't see how our #3 can have a great camp. I suppose we would need a personal coach (and I'm Ok with that). The other coaches should be too busy. But I agree that It is indeed worth hiring a coach and his time to improve an asset from a 7th to a 4th.

I TOTALLY agree on this. Only if Josh is here.

BTW, where do you stand on a Josh return? And if not who IS the experienced offensive guy who can guide and help Jarod in this transition.

Huff and Allen would be very nice signings for the D. I would let walk (or trade) Judon. He'll be 32 and want a hefty pay increase. Huff and Allen are younger, and given Jennings (if resigned), would be nice for our Edge.
I just read that Allen isn't going anywhere and the Jags will frranchise if they can't reach a deal. But there are other good edge guys out there which includes Uche who IS good, just not a game changer.

I agree with probably not resigning Judon at 32, especially if wants a big payday. THat being said, i DO want him here for the 2024 season. He sets the edge well and can be counted on for 10-15 sacks a season when healthy. More if we keep or upgrade Uche.

BTW, can anyone tell me what happened to make us picking at the bottom of the 3rd rather than the top?

Ken, as far as I know they picking where they should.

Round 1: Pick 3
Round 2: Pick 34
Round 3: Pick 68
Round 4: Pick 103
Round 5: Pick 135
Round 6: Pick 181
Round 7 (via Chicago Bears): Pick 228
Thanks I get it now, I don't know what I was thinking. I did most of this post last night

I just read that Allen isn't going anywhere and the Jags will frranchise if they can't reach a deal. But there are other good edge guys out there which includes Uche who IS good, just not a game changer.

I agree with probably not resigning Judon at 32, especially if wants a big payday. THat being said, i DO want him here for the 2024 season. He sets the edge well and can be counted on for 10-15 sacks a season when healthy. More if we keep or upgrade Uche.
I just think Judon will want too much money, which might hinder into our ability to acquire FA's that would help us more both next season and over the next few years. But, I do understand where you're coming from.

I TOTALLY agree on this. Only if Josh is here.

BTW, where do you stand on a Josh return? And if not who IS the experienced offensive guy who can guide and help Jarod in this transition.
I want Josh to run the Offense and mentor the coaches and players.

He could be Asst Coach-Offense; he could be OC, or he could be Senior Advisor-Offense.

My preference would be to have Josh as an Asst Coach and Caley as the OC, learning from Josh.

DEFENSE COACHES
I want us to make Steve an offer that he can't refuse, even Asst Coach-Defense. Steve would ensure stability. I would like Covington at DC.

@patfanken, I’m very happy to see you’re back, sorry to hear about the health issues.

I know that the negativity level on this forum has skyrocketed, as is to be expected given the results this year and last year, especially in the context of the unprecedented success that the Pats have achieved for the previous two decades. In my view, there are still many more of us here that try to take an optimistic view but there certainly are those who seem to go to great lengths to antagonize others. We’ve seen that before and those people eventually get tired of their own routine and exit or go dark when they stop getting the reaction they seem to need by doing so. I personally don’t use the Ignore functions here but I think it is well worth using if a particular person’s posts are preventing you from sharing your opinion here. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts, they are a highlight for me here.

I’m in agreement with you regarding BB. My feelings going into the season were that it was essential to progress forward, and when it became clear that the issues they had last season at QB and OL, and on mental mistakes, were not addressed, I concluded that it was best for the Pats to separate from him. Still I feel badly for him and find my antipathy towards the Krafts has increased greatly based on what I view as the unnecessary and unprofessional way they have behaved with their transparent campaign to portray themselves as responsible for the successes and not equally responsible for the failures.

Regarding the coaching staff, it seems apparent that they did not have much of a plan beyond replacing BB with Mayo, but I am confident that will get settled following the Senior Bowl which had long been an opportunity for coaching staffs to be organized while a lot of those guys are together there. For me it is quite important for the team to hire a few guys with significant experience to support Mayo, Covington (whom I suspect is a shoo-in for DC), and whomever they hire for special teams. I’m confident in Mayo’s leadership skills to make it work but on offense he needs someone like McDaniels or Frank Reich to help him make the whole thing work.

Finally regarding the draft and free agency, my opinion is that they must come out of the first round with a new potential franchise QB, and out of Day 2 (rounds 2 and 3) with their LT1 of the future. These two positions are absolutely in crisis and I’m not sanguine about the options available in FA, especially at OT. There isn’t anyone they currently stand to lose in FA that I think is worth spending big on, including Onwenu who isn’t a long term answer at RT and can’t play the left side. I’d much prefer them to take a shot at a high end WR in FA and would like to see them spend money on a TE that can help their OL, and a FS and CB to put the defense in a stronger position to carry them next season. They need a kicker to compete with Ryland but otherwise need to scale back the spending on special teams.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back