PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels will NOT accept 49ers job (Edit: Kyle Shanahan expected to become HC in San Fran)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get why people think McDaniels is such a hot candidate.This thing about him withdrawing is probably because he realized the 49ers weren't interested. At the rams and broncos he did nothing to distinguish himself , and being the coordinator of the pats is hardly difficult.

McDaniels to me is a Norv or Wade Phillips better a coordinator than head coach.If Bill retires i hope he does not become our coach

According to multiple independent reports he was the number 1 choice. I swear to god some of the people here should go out and watch the playcalling of other teams and realize how good our coaching staff in comparison to the league average is. But I suppose even a ****ton people in here still believe that if something succeeds its because Brady made it happen and if it fails its on the playcalling. Josh is an amazing offensive mind and is definitely more HC material than some of those yokels that are currently employed.

Our offensive game plan was good given what the opponent was doing on defense.

they adjusted at halftime. the Texans took away a lot of the short stuff and stuffed the run between the tackles, so they adjusted to throwing intermediate and long routes and getting the halfbacks out in space.

Long play succession plan. :cool:

I don't get why people think McDaniels is such a hot candidate.This thing about him withdrawing is probably because he realized the 49ers weren't interested. At the rams and broncos he did nothing to distinguish himself , and being the coordinator of the pats is hardly difficult.

McDaniels to me is a Norv or Wade Phillips better a coordinator than head coach.If Bill retires i hope he does not become our coach

Being coordinator of the Pats is extremely difficult because you have to outwork Brady. Even BB has talked about how difficult that can be. But I don't want to spend too much time on this point because it's silly. Josh is a quality candidate for a ton of reasons, and if you don't see that by now, there's nothing I will say that can convince you.

But I do want to say a few things about Wade Phillips. I get that Norv and Wade will forever be known as guys who are coordinators, not coaches. But after some reading, I think that's a bit disrespectful of Wade's career. The guy has a .562 career winning percentage, only 2 losing seasons out of 9 seasons where he started as the head coach (he was interim a few times), and won 60% or more of his games with multiple franchises (Buffalo, Dallas).

He is the last coach to take the Bills to the playoffs (twice actually), no small feat as the past 17 years have shown us. He has a better winning percentage in Dallas than the Tuna, although Parcells deserves credit for finding Romo and developing that program before Wade took over.

I don't think Wade is the next Vince Lombardi, but he's also far from the Gus Bradleys of the world. He was a pretty decent head coach, not great, but good, and deserves a bit more respect than we tend to give him.

I think if your still young and apart of a team that will go down as maybe the best run in NFL history.. making good bank, I believe its 1.5 mil a year.. you already had a HC job once and failed, why make a decision that would last 1 year and really hurt your career going forward. Your in a great spot and apparently your family is rooted here. And the place your going has had 4 HC's in 4 years. I can understand Josh saying thanks but no thanks. He will most definitely get other considerations in the future.

I wonder if he had a conversation with BB, and maybe Kraft, and felt that he had a pretty good shot as BB's job when he decides to retire. Josh staying here and taking the reins, along with Caserio, would really be the best possible scenario when BB leaves, IMO.

Matt Patricia says Hi!

Patriots DC unlike Josh does not have the GOAT on D.

I'd have no problem with Caserio and either coordinator succeeding the Croatian Warlord.

Matt Patricia says Hi!

Patriots DC unlike Josh does not have the GOAT on D.

I'd have no problem with Caserio and either coordinator succeeding the Croatian Warlord.
Yeah, Matty P could do it too. I just think Josh is more likely? But I'm fine with either.

I assume they were expecting him to add something of value to build on such as having an offense that isn't horrible.
I think he would have gotten more time any way but it's untralistic to think you fire the GM and not the 2-14 coach with him. Especially when it's a charlatan like kelly. What GM would take the job?
thats honestly why they shouldnt have fired Tomsula, Baalke hired him, make him do something if its the last test for your GM too

thats honestly why they shouldnt have fired Tomsula, Baalke hired him, make him do something if its the last test for your GM too
I don't understand. You think when it was obvious that Tomsula couldn't do the job they should have kept him longer just to be nice? I mean it was blatantly obvious he couldn't do the job.

I don't understand. You think when it was obvious that Tomsula couldn't do the job they should have kept him longer just to be nice? I mean it was blatantly obvious he couldn't do the job.
They should have realized that Baalke should have been fired there, if he hires soomeone grossly unqualified. But I dont really see why you say he was completely incapable, how do you know what would have happened this year? Tomsula could have done better than Kelly or maybe worse but neither you or I know. If they hired the guy they should commit to him for more than a year

They should have realized that Baalke should have been fired there, if he hires soomeone grossly unqualified. But I dont really see why you say he was completely incapable, how do you know what would have happened this year? Tomsula could have done better than Kelly or maybe worse but neither you or I know. If they hired the guy they should commit to him for more than a year
It was bad. He just wasn't cut out for the job.
I get your thinking fire Baalke, but that just puts you where you are a year earlier, and after committing your franchise to Baalke you are firing him after 1 year. That's the same thing you say is wrong.

Look its not a good situation, but I don't see much of a better way without hindsight.

You have to remember Harbaughs contract was up, and there was a legitimate dispute about whether the teams success was because of the players they gave Harbaugh or because of his coaching.
Kill them for that decision if you wish, but what transpired after seems reasonable given the circumstances.

Green Bay approves of this distraction

Last edited:
Here's the significant talent on the 49ers roster.
  1. Carlos Hyde
  2. Joe Staley
Good luck Mr. Shanahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back