PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Gordon wants out of Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
2nd for Gordon is the only deal I think that makes sense for both teams. I'm not sure if you guys are aware of this or not, but some of the Pats 2nd round WR choices have not been that great.

Wouldn't you?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Because of his suspensions Gordon's contract now runs through 2016 ( at a mere 1 million) and he would be controllable as a restricted free agent after that. So even if Cleveland cut him, no way he clears waivers to make it to the Pat's slot or Free Agency.

So the Pat's would have to trade for him.

2nd for Gordon is the only deal I think that makes sense for both teams. I'm not sure if you guys are aware of this or not, but some of the Pats 2nd round WR choices have not been that great.

Help me understand your reasoning why a 2nd makes sense for both teams. Why doesn't a conditional 3rd make sense?

Surprised this thread still has legs for something that has less of a chance of happening than megatron coming out of retirement to join Pats for playoff run

Help me understand your reasoning why a 2nd makes sense for both teams. Why doesn't a conditional 3rd make sense?

Because they won't give him up that easily.

Is it really likely he will be reinstated? I mean, is there a chance he won't be or is it pretty much certain he will be? And if he isn't, is that it or will the union be flipping out?

With Roger Goodell in charge who knows... the message this sends so far is that if you puffed some weed and had an alcoholic beverages (without committing any crimes or harming anyone) that is more severe than guys who beat the **** out of their significant other, or bloodied a child with a switch

The fact that he's been suspended for so long is beyond absurd, but it's still the reality which is why I'd stay away unless the cost is balanced with the risk

That only answers part of my question.

Which is more than enough because it takes two teams to make a deal. Patriot fans keep proposing deals that work well for the Patriots but not the other team. Unfortunately All Davis is no longer available to trade with. To date Cleveland has shown absolutely no interest in trading Gordon so I don't see why they would give him to the Patriots for a conditional 3rd?

Which is more than enough because it takes two teams to make a deal. Patriot fans keep proposing deals that work well for the Patriots but not the other team. Unfortunately All Davis is no longer available to trade with. To date Cleveland has shown absolutely no interest in trading Gordon so I don't see why they would give him to the Patriots for a conditional 3rd?

There would be no reason to offer a conditional 3rd if they are being offered a 2nd.

As you say it takes two to make a deal. Giving up a 2nd round pick for a player who is a Bud Light away from a lifetime ban is a very, very risky move.

There would be no reason to offer a conditional 3rd if they are being offered a 2nd.

As you say it takes two to make a deal. Giving up a 2nd round pick for a player who is a Bud Light away from a lifetime ban is a very, very risky move.

Yes, but we are a team who can absorb that sort of risk/reward move especially given our spotty 2nd round drafting record.

Cleveland is rebuilding and you could argue they would be better off trading that huge risk away for a shot at drafting the next Gordon.

Most likely, though, they'll want to keep Gordon to catch balls from Kaep so it's all moot.

Is it really likely he will be reinstated? I mean, is there a chance he won't be or is it pretty much certain he will be? And if he isn't, is that it or will the union be flipping out?
I don't think they are under any obligation to reinstate him, but as far as we know he has stayed clean and sober and out of trouble for the past year, so I think reinstatement is a very high probability.

He should be shutting his mouth and praying to the old gods and the new for the privilege of getting yet another chance to make lots of money playing a game....
So you think he should be praying to both Coach Lombardi and Coach Belichick?

That's fair. :D

Yes, but we are a team who can absorb that sort of risk/reward move especially given our spotty 2nd round drafting record.

Cleveland is rebuilding and you could argue they would be better off trading that huge risk away for a shot at drafting the next Gordon.

Most likely, though, they'll want to keep Gordon to catch balls from Kaep so it's all moot.

Its been tossed around that a 2nd round pick drafted by NE has a 40% "success" rate. That may be great or crappy compared to the NFL average. Considering its the Patriots and with how well they draft I bet they are in the top 10. My point is that I do not agree that they Pats suck at picking in the 2nd round.

As a 2nd rd pick pertains to Gordon there are two issues. 1) his one strike away issue 2) his contract situation. A team has financial control over a 2nd round pick for 4-5 years. With Gordon, he is a free agent or RFA whatever next year. Second is his standing. Is he a sip of wine he is done.

A 2nd round pick represents long term cost and team contribution certainty. With Gordon you have neither. Hes a great player but if you are trying to rationalize the risk/reward he is all high risk/high reward.

he is all high risk/high reward.

As usual good analysis. And this is exactly how I feel, but I'm ok with that level of risk. I doubt the team is but that's the luxury of being a fan.

As usual good analysis. And this is exactly how I feel, but I'm ok with that level of risk. I doubt the team is but that's the luxury of being a fan.

I want Gordon BAD. I'm just trying to temper my excitement.

If there was a guarantee that he'd lay off the sauce, be a 1st rate pro and epitomize what this team looks for in a player I'd probably give up a 1st for him....if we had one:rolleyes:

I want Gordon BAD. I'm just trying to temper my excitement.

If there was a guarantee that he'd lay off the sauce, be a 1st rate pro and epitomize what this team looks for in a player I'd probably give up a 1st for him....if we had one:rolleyes:

Temper your excitement? There is no report anywhere that links us to him. There is no indication that he is even on the block. This is a fantasy thread like rumor has it santa will deliver extra presents in march thread.

I don't think they are under any obligation to reinstate him, but as far as we know he has stayed clean and sober and out of trouble for the past year, so I think reinstatement is a very high probability.

The fact that Goodell continues to drag his heels on the matter shows what little class he has, particularly since it hurts CLE a bit not knowing what's going on for FA + possibly the draft.

I'm sure Goodell has plenty of tests to comb through to see if Gordon's been holding up his end of the bargain or not, considering that he reportedly gets tested at least several times a month under the program that he's in.

The fact that Goodell continues to drag his heels on the matter shows what little class he has, particularly since it hurts CLE a bit not knowing what's going on for FA + possibly the draft.

I'm sure Goodell has plenty of tests to comb through to see if Gordon's been holding up his end of the bargain or not, considering that he reportedly gets tested at least several times a month under the program that he's in.
Alcohol testing several times a month? That's obscene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes