PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Gordon wants out of Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Testing with that frequency is a near guarantee that someone as dumb as he has been these past few years will fail again. I just can't get enthusiastic about him as a potential Patriot, knowing that the chances of him staying on the field are so small.

This isn't a Randy Moss scenario. Moss had issues, but he was on the field, playing football. If anything, this is a Martavis Bryant scenario, where within a year you realize you have to plan around the guy's absence because you'll never be able to count on him being available at any time.

To be fair, it's certainly possible that he'll decide football matters enough to him to stop drinking altogether. And that's what it'll probably take to keep him on the field. But I'm deeply skeptical and don't think that's worth betting on.

Toys I cannot see them parting ways with Gordon after losing Benjamin...maybe wishful thinking now. I think the odds are better for Dropson turning it around than a Gordon trade here.* Cannot believe I just said that*:)

Last edited:
March 19: Roger Goodell reinstates Josh Gordon

March 20: Patriots trade for Josh Gordon

March 21: Josh Gordon tweets, "Blessed to be in New England! This is the high point of my career!"

March 22: NFL bans Gordon for life for violating substance abuse policy, cites "high" tweet as evidence.

Besides a propensity for being suspended, aren't the 2 biggest knocks on him a low football IQ and poor work ethic? I can't think of 2 more important criteria for a Pats receiver.

Besides a propensity for being suspended, aren't the 2 biggest knocks on him a low football IQ and poor work ethic? I can't think of 2 more important criteria for a Pats receiver.

Idk about work ethic. He's extremely talented. I would go after him and call it a day.

Just tell him to line up on the left and when the ball is hiked, run

Gordon is a physical Freak when you scare CB's on the eyeballs test alone that covers up for his low football IQ and poor work ethic.:cool::D

March 19: Roger Goodell reinstates Josh Gordon

March 20: Patriots trade for Josh Gordon

March 21: Josh Gordon tweets, "Blessed to be in New England! This is the high point of my career!"

March 22: NFL bans Gordon for life for violating substance abuse policy, cites "high" tweet as evidence.
They would be justified. I mean what else could "high" possibly mean except drugs? There could be no other possible context.

From what I've read, Gordon's work ethic is solid. He's working hard to get back into top shape to prove the league wrong.

Football IQ wise, you have to have football smarts to have 1600+ yards in 14 games. He runs the whole route tree as well. He's not just a bombs away player.

The risk is just a draft pick at this point. If he's suspended for life we still have plenty of weapons that his loss wouldn't do much damage. His cap hit is next to nothing.

The upside:

He plays like the All-Pro WR he was in 2013, some team falls in love with him as a RFA (offering him an absurd contract) and we get a 1st round pick in return.

or

No team wants to give up a 1st round pick for Gordon due to past risk and we have him under a 4 million cap hit for 2017 under the 1st round RFA tender.

He's worth the risk and considering the Browns analytics front office is trying to be the 76ers, he's atleast a possibility when he's reinstated shortly.

like most policies in the nfl, the marajuana testing policy is a joke. I dont agree with how players who use, can potentially lose their careers over it. That being said.. You have to be moron of the highest magnitude to be in that position. The rules for weed testing in the nfl are basically as follows. From 4/20-august you can be randomly tested one time. However, since random test at different locations are impractical and expensive almost all players get tested the first week of camp. Once you pass you will not be tested again til the next year at the earliest on 4/20. If you fail.. It is kept confidencial and you enter stage 1 which means a few random drug test over a 3 month period.. If you pass those you are back to being like you never failed a test in the first place.

This is not much of a drug policy which explains why some guys get away with smoking a ton. Seriously with half a brain you should never test positive. Even if you do then clean your act up for a few months and youre right as rain. The fact that gordon has been unable to figure this system out is frightening. It doesnt speak to highly about his everyday life iq much less football iq.

Last edited:
@WOIOSports
A decision on Josh Gordon's reinstatement should come today or tomorrow, league has 60 days to respond. Today is day 59.

like most policies in the nfl, the marajuana testing policy is a joke. I dont agree with how players who use, can potentially lose their careers over it. That being said.. You have to be moron of the highest magnitude to be in that position. The rules for weed testing in the nfl are basically as follows. From 4/20-august you can be randomly tested one time. However, since random test at different locations are impractical and expensive almost all players get tested the first week of camp. Once you pass you will not be tested again til the next year at the earliest on 4/20. If you fail.. It is kept confidencial and you enter stage 1 which means a few random drug test over a 3 month period.. If you pass those you are back to being like you never failed a test in the first place.

This is not much of a drug policy which explains why some guys get away with smoking a ton. Seriously with half a brain you should never test positive. Even if you do then clean your act up for a few months and youre right as rain. The fact that gordon has been unable to figure this system out is frightening. It doesnt speak to highly about his everyday life iq much less football iq.
Exactly the way I feel. I want no part of this man on any of my team's if I'm a GM. Tons of players smoke their brains out and now with social media, tons of players are outed ... Videos,pictures of players smoking blunts and joints in public areas,clubs,beaches, police station parking lots (heh)...yet they never test positive so there's not much the NFL can do. Even Hernandez who flunked drug tests in college and who we now know was on cheech and chongs level of cheifin' , never flunked a NFL test! There's no excuse to be in the position he's in. Doesn't make him a bad person, just not a reliable one from an employment standpoint.

@WOIOSports
A decision on Josh Gordon's reinstatement should come today or tomorrow, league has 60 days to respond. Today is day 59.
I wasn't aware the league had a time restriction on when they had to reply by.

I wasn't aware the league had a time restriction on when they had to reply by.

Trying to read between the lines why the league is dragging their feet with this kid. I have to assume there is some level of angst the league has over it's ability to legally enforce punishment and whatever they decide on Gordon can or will be challenged in the future in the courts

Nice job, Goody.

I'm not sure why we're following this. The Patriots just spend over 10 million on a starting 2nd WR and starting 2nd TE. There not going to be interested in trading for Gordon even if he gets reinstated.

I'm not sure why we're following this. The Patriots just spend over 10 million on a starting 2nd WR and starting 2nd TE. There not going to be interested in trading for Gordon even if he gets reinstated.
I definitely don't see it. Edelman, Hogan, Gordon, Gronk, Bennett, RB don't all fit on the field.

I definitely don't see it. Edelman, Hogan, Gordon, Gronk, Bennett, RB don't all fit on the field.

Ive come to the conclusion that the only way Gordon gets any substantial targets here is if Amendola is gone because the players you mention aren't going anywhere and will get their touches.

So if we base it on 600 passes (Brady has averaged 616 a year since 2011)
Gronk- 110
JE-110
Hogan-80
Bennett-80
Gordon-80
Lewis-70

Thats 530 targets and you can divide the remaining 70 targets among White, Brown, Martin, Develin, Williams, Bolden. etc.

I still don't get the hogan move. We have enough of those guys on the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents