PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Gordon wants out of Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
why do people keep talking about this piece of garbage?

he has no business being on the pats
"Piece of garbage"? Really?

At worst the kid is immature for not being able to keep clean for his drug tests. He smokes a lot of weed. If the league had sensible policy he should not have been suspended in the first place.

But yeah he probably wouldn't work out here, especially hearing that he had failed another test. Can't count on him.

Going by the way he just got suspended again, Brown wants out of the NFL*.

Report: NFL teams want Josh Gordon 'because he's not Greg Hardy'

Over the past few days, in speaking with sources in eight NFL front offices, I've seen a clear picture of Gordon's future emerge. Despite failing multiple drug tests -- despite apparently thinking the NFL's drug policies are voluntary -- Gordon still garners a great deal of interest.

What seems certain after my discussions with these officials is that Gordon will have a home if he gives up marijuana. He will, in fact, have his choice of homes should the Browns not want him.

I understand the logic. He definitely isn't Hardy.

I really believe he's not a bad kid. Just made some bad decisions and got addicted at a very young age. Tough to go to Cleveland also, and expect to get straight.

Is rehab not an option? I know Mary Jane isn't exactly an overdose waiting to happen, but clearly he's addicted and needs help.

It might be time for Rosenhaus to give Gordon the same ultimatum he gave Manziel....

I'm sure that smoking weed is widespread in the league and personally, I don't think that it's a big deal. But regardless, Gordon getting caught repeatedly is more of an indictment of his stupidity than whether he's a bad guy. He's probably too much of a risk to want to bring him to NE, but let's not put him in the company of "real" garbage like Greg Hardy.

I must admit to still being influenced by Gordon's performance where he absolutely b!tchslapped Aqib Talib a couple seasons ago.

I think the league's substance abuse program has some serious flaws... and the argument of "we don't want kids to get the wrong idea, think about the kids!" is total BS... because there is zero reason for them to even be testing for marijuana in athletes.. its not a performance enhancing drug, so why waste time doing it, and why make it so public every time a player fails it? Keep it out of sight, out of mind instead of in the spotlight all the time

You're 100% right that its not that he smoked weed.. its that he smoked weed, got caught, then smoked weed again, got caught, and then continues to smoke weed and get caught when his entire career is hanging by a THREAD. It shows he lacks responsibility, maturity and discipline where he can't even put it down for a little while to get his career back on track and have a rare opportunity to make a ton of money in a short period of time playing a game he supposedly loves...

Its about the stupidity of it, not the fact that he smoked some weed... I could care less if these guys smoke weed in their spare time, heck, if the Jets want to all toke up before we play them on Sunday ill buy it and ship it over to them! He'll have plenty of time to toke up when hes 30+, or just do it in the offseason for a month and get it out of your system before you show up to camp and start getting tested again.. be smart about it.. but hes been the opposite of smart about it and continues on this downward spiral, which is not a good sign.. and that's the reason I wouldn't trade really any draft capital for him, but if I did it would be a 6th or 7th at most, anything higher is way too risky of an investment

It's fine, in 2017 we will be lining up Edelman, Gordon, Megatron, and Gronk.

Marijuana policy reminds me a story my friend told me when a shipyard tried to drug test his dad, told them if they want to regulate his life then they need to pay him 24/7 and "I don't think you want to do that!" Needless to say, he didn't end up getting drug tested lol.
When I worked in the oilfield I remember talks of how some companies required drug tests. I was a model employee; didn't abuse alcohol, and never, ever used drugs. But if my employer, or the customer of my employer, asked me to submit to a drug test my response would be GFY.

Sure, he's not Greg Hardy. AKA he's not a terrible human being, he's just an idiot who can't stop smoking weed even at the cost of his career. That doesn't make him someone you'd ever want to rely on for your team.

Exactly. No one should be comparing him to Greg Hardy for any reason, whatsoever. He's nothing like Greg Hardy. We have plenty of examples of current and former NFL players who have chosen to live a carefree lifestyle with partying that would make a much better comparison.

It's not the particular substance. I think most of us are in agreement that it should be decriminalized at the very least, if not made legal altogether. It's the fact that he continues to choose that particular substance over following the rules, making (tens, possibly hundreds) of millions of dollars, being famous, competing with world class athletes, and helping his team and organization. He has shown plenty of signs that he is immature, cannot be relied upon, and has no reason to follow anyone else's rules but his own. Those are the concerning traits for me, and let's face it--they're huge. There are massive red flags here that should be noticed. Many are defending the substance ("it's only alcohol, it's only weed") and missing the bigger picture. Josh Gordon has, and continues to make piss poor life choices. At the moment, he's pretty much a massive loser who has pissed away multiple second and third chances. Chances that 99 percent of us would be very thankful to have. Hopefully, he gets his life in order and turns things around, but I'm not expecting it.

I really believe he's not a bad kid. Just made some bad decisions and got addicted at a very young age. Tough to go to Cleveland also, and expect to get straight.

I generally agree with you on some level, but the word "addicted" doesn't go well when talking about smoking weed.

To me, (someone who has smoked a lot of weed, mind you) it's just about breaking a bad habit and taking your current life opportunities more seriously. He's showing a lot of signs of selfishness, immaturity, and inability to change. He's obviously taking his once in a lifetime chance for granted. It sounds like he needs a life coach or a good counselor more than he does rehab, but that's just my humble opinion.

I think the league's substance abuse program has some serious flaws... and the argument of "we don't want kids to get the wrong idea, think about the kids!" is total BS... because there is zero reason for them to even be testing for marijuana in athletes.. its not a performance enhancing drug, so why waste time doing it, and why make it so public every time a player fails it? Keep it out of sight, out of mind instead of in the spotlight all the time

You're 100% right that its not that he smoked weed.. its that he smoked weed, got caught, then smoked weed again, got caught, and then continues to smoke weed and get caught when his entire career is hanging by a THREAD. It shows he lacks responsibility, maturity and discipline where he can't even put it down for a little while to get his career back on track and have a rare opportunity to make a ton of money in a short period of time playing a game he supposedly loves...

Its about the stupidity of it, not the fact that he smoked some weed... I could care less if these guys smoke weed in their spare time, heck, if the Jets want to all toke up before we play them on Sunday ill buy it and ship it over to them! He'll have plenty of time to toke up when hes 30+, or just do it in the offseason for a month and get it out of your system before you show up to camp and start getting tested again.. be smart about it.. but hes been the opposite of smart about it and continues on this downward spiral, which is not a good sign.. and that's the reason I wouldn't trade really any draft capital for him, but if I did it would be a 6th or 7th at most, anything higher is way too risky of an investment

If this story in the link is true, it doesn't exactly show the best judgement for someone trying to get back into the league after a drug suspension.:rolleyes:

Josh Gordon may have been with Manziel at trashed rental home

may have! lol But doesn't stop them suggesting what he may have been upto if he was there.

As I said, the media is in off season mode and absolutely desperate for either Gordon and Manziel to go on a drug fuelled bender ending with their deaths, almost egging them on. They are desperate to link them both also. Young people like to party.

What has Gordon done wrong in this story.. nothing, went to a party allegedly and that is it, just like hundreds of thousands of young people do every day.

Gordon is a pot-head.

oct 2010:
Gordon and teammate Willie Jefferson were arrested after they fell asleep in a drive-through line at a Taco Bell. Police found marijuana in Jefferson’s car. Jefferson, who was driving, was kicked off the team because it was his second violation.

july,2011:
Head coach Art Briles suspended Gordon indefinitely for an undisclosed rules violation. “It was due to a failed marijuana test,” Gordon said. “It was against school policy, of course, and I was (suspended) in the summer. I’ve definitely put that part of my life behind me. I don’t plan to ever go back there. It was a difficult time, but I learned from it, and I’ve moved on.”

jun,2013:
He was suspended without pay for the first two games of the 2013 NFL season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. In addition to the two-game suspension, he was docked four game checks, which amounts to $148,894. Gordon said in a statement that he used cough medicine containing codeine -- a banned substance -- while recovering from strep throat in February.

may,2014:
Two sources tell ESPN's Outside the Lines that Gordon tested positive for marijuana and was informed in early winter. Gordon received a second letter in April notifying him of the pending suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes