PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh Gordon may be reinstated by the start of Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet we’ll get Emmanuel Sanders, he’s coming off an Achilles injury in December and may be a PUP guy but he’d be perfect.

You mean the soon-to-be-32-year-old Emmanuel Sanders? Coming off an Achilles injury? Maybe if you can get him on a one year "kick the tires" deal, but long term? I'd pass.

I'll say it.

Gordon was a significant contributor to the 2018 Super Bowl effort. He was missed when he wasn't there.

IMHO, he would be worth having as a 5th WR who is capable of being a top starter when available.

I'm not saying that Gordon is Gronk. HOWEVER, I want Gronk back, even though I only expect him to be available for half the games, and I haven't a clue when he will be available. What I do know is that he will valuable when he can play.

For Gordon, the cost will be low; the risk will be low. The upside for a few games will be high.

i dont want him back. they play better without him. i hope he gets it together.

As long as you've got the depth to cover for a missing Gordon, and you're getting Gordon on the cheap, why wouldn't you sign a guy who showed he could play in the system, and was (reportedly) well liked by his teammates and coaches?

For me, the bigger question is how many WRs BB plans to carry this year. If they count Patterson as a ST guy for roster numbers purposes, we're looking at a team that's probably only bringing back 1-2 WRs from last year. So, something like

Edelman
Vet WR1 or WR2
Dorsett/Hogan (?)
Slot WR (Around here, Renfro seems to be the draft flavor of the month, Berrios seems to be the post-draft binkie)
Gordon
*Patterson

would seem to be sensible.

I really thought Gordon was a good story and actually played well for us but can anyone trust him going forward?

No, you can't trust him, but everyone clutching pearls about his unreliability used an argument about how it would be an issue if he wasn't available in the postseason and that's exactly what happened and they still won the Super Bowl. It's really no different than any other player who could be lost for the season because they cut too hard or someone rolled over their knee or whatever.

As a recovering addict with 32 years of clean time, I feel qualified to comment on this.
It took me about 11 tries to get IT. three years in total spent in rehabs and the like. I can see all sides of what people here are saying, and all the opinions are valid.

One thing I have NOT seen stated though, is that he has failed ONE time with the Patriots. He seems to love it here, and being here has been a unique event in his recovery, so I would give him one more chance HERE which, in my mind, would be his now second chance.

Agreed he could slip at anytime, I can personally vouch though, that at some point, EUREKA an addict can get IT.

I do want to add how much I appreciate the general tone of people towards others struggling with addiction, and in a sense, life. One poster nailed it when he said, one day it very well could be your son or daughter, and from the tone of some of the posters, it sounds to me that not a few of you can also personally identify with the issue.

Kraft gets rappers out of jail and pays for Gordon's rehab.
Bob has a big heart and I suspect the team won't close the book on this guy. If no Gronk next year plus lots of WR uncertainty (2-5 quality), nice to have an additional asset tucked away and possibly available at some point next season.
Rehab farm system....BB finds another loophole to exploit until Goodell slams it shut.

I'm curious if Gordon will be at the Kraft's Ring Presentation Bash?

I believe that Gordon's suspension precludes him from being at any Team functions. That would include that Ring Presentation unless he's cleared by then..

This is the ultimate double-edged sword. You'd love to have Gordon's talent and teammated-ness, but you are always worried about when the next fall off the wagon will occur, and if your team will be dragged along with it. I would prefer the Pats to draft a stud WR (which they have been historically bad at) or get somebody in free agency or trade that is being under-utilized ala Wes Welker. I guess we'll see come April!

just an aside. The Patriots have been no worse than any other team in the league in drafting WRs..

I would love to see him back. But the most important thing is that he is able to conquer his demons and go on and live a long happy life. Then maybe he will be able to reach out to others and help them

I bet we’ll get Emmanuel Sanders, he’s coming off an Achilles injury in December and may be a PUP guy but he’d be perfect.

It will be a miracle for Sanders to play again at remotely the same level he was at. Achilles tears are worse than acls..

We had to scheme to keep this guy in check and he still found a way to circumvent his way back to trouble. It's the offseason, we're not desperate, we can afford to not bring him back. Hope he can fix his life but thank you next!

Last edited:
I'm fine with having Gordon on the team, but I'm not fine with having him be the outside the numbers guy or paying him a lot of money. Basically, if he's in your plans you basically have to assume you're getting a half-season at most from him, and be pleasantly surprised if he manages to go a full season without getting re-suspended. The guy behind him on the depth chart who will take his place when he inevitably gets suspended again will basically need to be given starter-level priority from a roster-building perspective.

But as long as that's how it's being approached, then by all means there's no real reason not to have him back.

No, you can't trust him, but everyone clutching pearls about his unreliability used an argument about how it would be an issue if he wasn't available in the postseason and that's exactly what happened and they still won the Super Bowl. It's really no different than any other player who could be lost for the season because they cut too hard or someone rolled over their knee or whatever.

It is a bit different, because Gordon has the same injury risk that every WR inherently has, plus he also has the "he's probably going to fail a drug test and get suspended" risk in addition. A better comparison, IMO, would be signing a guy who's had his last 3 seasons ended by injuries to the same knee. Sure, sign the guy and hope for the best, but from a roster-building perspective you'd be foolish not to prepare for the likelihood that his knee fails to hold up.

We need receivers. Hogan and Dorsett suck. Gordon, you can't rely on him

It is a bit different, because Gordon has the same injury risk that every WR inherently has, plus he also has the "he's probably going to fail a drug test and get suspended" risk in addition. A better comparison, IMO, would be signing a guy who's had his last 3 seasons ended by injuries to the same knee. Sure, sign the guy and hope for the best, but from a roster-building perspective you'd be foolish not to prepare for the likelihood that his knee fails to hold up.

Yeah, I think that's right. He's a nice bonus. There's no reason not to want him back.

I like the idea of bringing in someone like Tyrell Williams, letting Hogan walk, bringing back Dorsett and Patterson, drafting a guy with one of the first five picks, and keeping a spot warm for Gordon. It's not the 2007 squad, but it's a good group. How good it is probably depends on the rookie and Edelman's ability to maintain his high level of play into his age 33 year.

No more Gordon.

His true calling is in the marijuana business.
Except he won't be able to follow the #1 rule of drug dealing: Don't get high on your own supply.

No, you can't trust him, but everyone clutching pearls about his unreliability used an argument about how it would be an issue if he wasn't available in the postseason and that's exactly what happened and they still won the Super Bowl.
It seems to me you support bringing Gordon back, but you have an interesting way of making your argument when you point out that the won the Super Bowl without him.
It's really no different than any other player who could be lost for the season because they cut too hard or someone rolled over their knee or whatever.
No, it's a huge difference. Injuries are a part of the game and can impact any player at any time, but this is a whole extra level of unreliability.

@thecore762 Please use the direct link to the article. I don't need google knowing where I look.

It seems to me you support bringing Gordon back, but you have an interesting way of making your argument when you point out that the won the Super Bowl without him.

No, it's a huge difference. Injuries are a part of the game and can impact any player at any time, but this is a whole extra level of unreliability.

They also won a Super Bowl without all the draft picks they're going to have this year. They should just decline to draft anyone, I guess.

Edelman missed four games last year due to popping red for PEDs. Drugs are part of the game and can impact any player at any time.

We have 12 draft pick, no reason to bring him back.
Except if when he is better than anyone we draft that's good reason to bring him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back