PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers game ball: 169 yards , 12 catches on 14 targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brown and Lafell had some production before Bill and Randy Moss on this list is dubious at best but earlier on in our run Bill was able to spot some receivers that could play. Givens was a part time RB/WR at Norte Dame (and outside of Brady and Gronk my favorite Patriot) and we all know about Edelman as a college QB as well and both developed into key pieces on multiple Super Bowl teams. Welker was probably his biggest diamond in the rough move (outside of Brady) he ever made. Not sure why he is unable to draft guys now that can come in and play anymore when he was able to determine who could play in this system earlier on.
I wish there was a tongue-in-cheek emoji.

BB's missed on most but the few he did hit on really did well here.

Uhh Harry was a 1st round pick and has nowhere earned his lofty draft status compared to MANY wide receivers taken in the same draft class. Most notably we passed on DK Metcalf to take Harry and we actually could have taken both with the selections that we had in that year's draft. Instead we traded the right to DK Metcalf to the Seahawks. Metcalf right now is the #2 overall receiver in the NFL in total yards. Hmmm. I don't think it's the fact that NFL receivers don't know how to adjust to New England's system, we just SUCK at evaluating WR talent!

Meanwhile an undrafted free agent like Jakobi Meyers is also outperforming that 1st round pick from 2019. OUCH!!!

I like to go back to the draft reports from scouts to look at what they were saying. Also like to read the board from the draft. Suffice it to say that no one thought Belichick was crazy for taking Harry over Metcalf. In fact, Metcalf fell so much because of his detractors. He had an outstanding combine, and still plummeted in the draft, precisely because so many people were knocking his game, knocking his routes.

I like to go back to the draft reports from scouts to look at what they were saying. Also like to read the board from the draft. Suffice it to say that no one thought Belichick was crazy for taking Harry over Metcalf. In fact, Metcalf fell so much because of his detractors. He had an outstanding combine, and still plummeted in the draft, precisely because so many people were knocking his game, knocking his routes.
True but that wasn’t said about AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, Mcclauren, Hardman

BB is awesome at finding and identifying highly-productive WRs who prior to his & their arrival here weren't prolific

Troy Brown
Deion Branch
David Givens
Randy Moss (sucked in 2006)
Wes Welker
Julian Edelman
Brandon LaFell
Jakobi Meyers
Man, think of how good the Pats could have been if BB the GM weren't getting in the way of BB the coach.

Think of how good bb the coach would look if stidham would have stepped up and his play on the field been superior after the signing of Newton. He could have taken control of the qb position, instead of rolling over and playing dead and becoming a turnover machine.

Think of how good bb the coach would look if stidham would have stepped up and his play on the field been superior after the signing of Newton. He could have taken control of the qb position, instead of rolling over and playing dead and becoming a turnover machine.
I think you know my post was tongue-in-cheek.... yeah, this alternate history of Stidham would be nice, but he's not there and might never be.

I think we need a while before un-annointing Bill freakin Belichick... but this is just a much more un-magic season than we've become accustomed to. People want a target for the blame...

That said, I'd rather have a horrible year in 2020 than another year (seemingly destined to be the "year after Brady," in a cap sense as well as in other ways). Assuming the league does play the SB, somebody will win it, and it ain't gonna be us. I hope by the time the fans are back, the Pats will be too. Call me an optimist.

I still feel stidham might magically conjure up something if we make him starter for 3 -4 games. Play him with no pressure and see how he does.

Cam sadly has too many injuries..

If we lose against baltimore, pass the baton on to stidham for next 4 games and see how he does, if he sucks go ahead with cam as your back up and play the quarter back lottery for the next few years.. we might strike gold in next 4 years ... But looks like we might become similar to broncos after peyton.

Its now mahomes and andy time. Unless brady has some other plans.

Much of Meyer's game is based on Edelman's. I have to confess that I am the last person who would have ever seen that coming. His bag of tricks is eerily like Edelman's, especially the trademark hop step, the stem and re-stemming, stack and "stepping on the defender's toes." Sells a route, leans into the defender the way Edelman does and snaps off.

Meyers has average athleticism and speed but he is working tirelessly on his techniques and will be a solid #2 or 3 option.
he was #11 in college, jules # now

Last edited:
Much of Meyer's game is based on Edelman's. I have to confess that I am the last person who would have ever seen that coming. His bag of tricks is eerily like Edelman's, especially the trademark hop step, the stem and re-stemming, stack and "stepping on the defender's toes." Sells a route, leans into the defender the way Edelman does and snaps off.

Meyers has average athleticism and speed but he is working tirelessly on his techniques and will be a solid #2 or 3 option.
Both former QBs

Both former QBs

Meyers has been good pretty much every time he played. Even going back to the 2019 season training camp. All the kid does is get open and have great hands. Who cares about 40 times or yards after catch when you get open a ton, catch over 80% of balls thrown to you, and average 14 yards a catch. He's excellent. Our #1 receiver and it's not even close.

Meyers has been good pretty much every time he played. Even going back to the 2019 season training camp. All the kid does is get open and have great hands. Who cares about 40 times or yards after catch when you get open a ton, catch over 80% of balls thrown to you, and average 14 yards a catch. He's excellent. Our #1 receiver and it's not even close.

Agree, but that’s not saying much. I wonder if Harry will be activated.

Meyers does a great job coming back for the ball. What he needs to work on is turning up the field much faster with the ball......transform from a possession WR to YAC WR.
It's only year two for the former QB

Agree, but that’s not saying much. I wonder if Harry will be activated.

Well it's saying a lot that the only other WRs who ever put up 169 yards receiving are all in the Patriots Hall of Fame. So Meyers should be our #1 moving forward. All the kid does is get open and have great hands, constantly and reliably.

I still feel stidham might magically conjure up something if we make him starter for 3 -4 games. Play him with no pressure and see how he does.

Cam sadly has too many injuries..

If we lose against baltimore, pass the baton on to stidham for next 4 games and see how he does, if he sucks go ahead with cam as your back up and play the quarter back lottery for the next few years.. we might strike gold in next 4 years ... But looks like we might become similar to broncos after peyton.

Its now mahomes and andy time. Unless brady has some other plans.
There's a fine line between "don't break the young guy" and "we can still say we're not breaking the young guy and fortunately don't have to do that to our team..."

I mean, give him an extended look and if he still sucks no harm done, I'm okay w/all of that...but I don't think they want to go that way when he's not even a step up from 2020 Cam. And all of this is guesswork, because we still don't know what the Gillette brains think.

Oh well, never mind me. Just swimming around in that big open sewer of uncertainty that is 2020.

He was doing fine last year as well, I just don't remember exactly at what point in the season because depending on it, it would make the Sanu trade even more painful.

Stidham was the 133rd pick of the draft. A quarterback selected in that vicinity is far more likely going to have a career trajectory along the lines of Dan Orlovsky, Ryan Lindley, Nathan Peterman, Mike Kafka or TJ Yates, rather than that of Dak Prescott. (Somewhat similar draft status.)

It was unreasonable for fans to expect him to ever become an above average starting NFL quarterback.

Meyers does a great job coming back for the ball. What he needs to work on is turning up the field much faster with the ball......transform from a possession WR to YAC WR.
It's only year two for the former QB

Agreed, and in doing that he has to do a better job of knowing exactly where the down line is. I've seen him be stopped short of it a few times on critical downs and it's frustrating. When trying to create YAC, he'll sometimes try to bounce away from the line to evade tackles. He has to know when going for YAC is okay, and when getting the down is more important than YAC, which is more often than not, these days.

Stidham was the 133rd pick of the draft. A quarterback selected in that vicinity is far more likely going to have a career trajectory along the lines of Dan Orlovsky, Ryan Lindley, Nathan Peterman, Mike Kafka or TJ Yates, rather than that of Dak Prescott. (Somewhat similar draft status.)

It was unreasonable for fans to expect him to ever become an above average starting NFL quarterback.

Based on draft position that is true, but expectations rightly change when a player takes the field. Quite frankly, after a player starts playing I couldn't care less about his draft position.

Stidham played well in the 2019 preseason raising expectations, but peed down his leg when he entered real games, lowering expectations. So we can still hope the preseason games reflect his talent level if he can develop a pair of brass ones when he plays in real games.

At this point who cares about draft position? How Stidham performs on the field of play is what matters.

Agreed, and in doing that he has to do a better job of knowing exactly where the down line is. I've seen him be stopped short of it a few times on critical downs and it's frustrating. When trying to create YAC, he'll sometimes try to bounce away from the line to evade tackles. He has to know when going for YAC is okay, and when getting the down is more important than YAC, which is more often than not, these days.
He only did this once (go backwards and fail to make the 1st down) the last game and it was on a 3rd & 20. I've seen a lot of people criticize him for this, but it was really just that one darn play (all season).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case