PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers game ball: 169 yards , 12 catches on 14 targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
He only did this once (go backwards and fail to make the 1st down) the last game and it was on a 3rd & 20. I've seen a lot of people criticize him for this, but it was really just that one darn play (all season).

I don't have DVR so I depend on my wild imagination to make informed judgments.

Has been key ever since Harry went down.

Jakobi Meyers is the #1 WR, no question. Love this kid. The only people who put up 169 receiving yards outside of Jakobi are all in the Patriots Hall of Fame. Jakobi is #1. Bye Bye NKeal. We now have our #1 WR and #1 RB in Meyers and Harris. Now get Asiasi into the offense, McD stop being clueless.

Meyers caught eight of nine targets for 121 yards as the Z-receiver, one of two targets for 20 yards as the X-receiver and three of three targets for 28 yards while drawing a holding penalty from the slot.

Small sample size but his usage & yards per reception suggest he’s more of an outside WR:

Edelman 11.0 career ypr
Amendola 10.1 career ypr
Welker 11.0 career ypr
Brown 11.4 career ypr
Meyers 13.3 career ypr

Might be more David Givens (14 ypr) than slot
Idk. We’re running a ton of 21 personnel. Hard to be a slot receiver when you’re the only receiver on your side. I’d like to see where he fits in a spread offense. my guess is still slot.

What took so long for them to play him?

Meyers can actually get open and catch. Harry looks strong but is slow, can't get open, and doesn't fight for the ball. It's not even close. It's insane McDaniels didn't see this. Force feeding handoffs to Harry. Meyers only played because Harry got hurt. Same with Damien Harris only got playing time bc Sony got hurt

And McDaniels / BB passed on Metcalf to take Harry. Insane indeed.

Remember BB complaining about guys who cannot tackle, but how about a WR who cannot get open? Even a schlub like me saw this as soon as he was selected (I was slammed by you guys for saying this), but how did BB/McDaniels miss it?

Remember BB complaining about guys who cannot tackle, but how about a WR who cannot get open? Even a schlub like me saw this as soon as he was selected (I was slammed by you guys for saying this), but how did BB/McDaniels miss it?
There should be a banging head against the table emoji or passed out drunk emoji because that’s the pain I feel when I read this accurate AF post.

Jakobi Meyers is the #1 WR, no question. Love this kid. The only people who put up 169 receiving yards outside of Jakobi are all in the Patriots Hall of Fame. Jakobi is #1. Bye Bye NKeal. We now have our #1 WR and #1 RB in Meyers and Harris. Now get Asiasi into the offense, McD stop being clueless.

Meyers is really good, but he's a possession WR. Still need a guy to take the top off a defense. We need the kind of flyers many teams seem to have these days.

All the scouts and coaches missed it. It's why Metcalf fell to the bottom of the 2nd round. There were a lot of receivers taken before him. You are apparently one of the few who made this point, because I went back to the threads on that draft day, and I can tell you that today's consensus of Metcalf vs. Harry was not what people were saying back then. Metcalf was considered a guy who couldn't run routes, had bad hands, couldn't get open. And people were citing NFL scouts' reports when they were saying this (reports, of course, that we should take with a grain of salt given the level of disinformation). Nonetheless--if the scouts were deliberately playing down Metcalf's abilities, then why did he go late in the 2nd round?

Meyers has now started three games:

23 receptions
286 yards
74% catch rate
2nd highest graded WR in that span to Davante Adams (PFF)

Cam’s passer rating before & after his starts:

Weeks 1-7 71.7
Weeks 8-10 96.5

Myers has incredible body control even looking acrobatic at times. He consistently gets the cornerback leaning one way while he goes the other. We’ve had a few receivers in recent years with 4.3 speed who can’t get nearly the separation Myers does. What a find.

Meyers is really good, but he's a possession WR. Still need a guy to take the top off a defense. We need the kind of flyers many teams seem to have these days.
That was supposed to be Byrd but, as it turns out, he’s not very good at it.

That was supposed to be Byrd but, as it turns out, he’s not very good at it.
Oddly enough I think Byrd is a very good #3 type. Possession guy too. Reminds me a little of Brando Lloyd. I wish he could play as well as Lloyd.

Would have been nice if our former QB gave him a real shot. Oh well.
He had to earn his trust. This was the biggest gripe I had with Brady. Young great Brady "My favorite receiver is the open one" Mr GOAT - they have to earn my trust and he would rip them a new one at the first mistake. Brady was as old as some of these kids father and he was ripping them, destroying any self confidence they had.

Myers has incredible body control even looking acrobatic at times. He consistently gets the cornerback leaning one way while he goes the other. We’ve had a few receivers in recent years with 4.3 speed who can’t get nearly the separation Myers does. What a find.

Meyers is our #1 receiver. It's not even close. People need to stop saying he's a #2 or #3. All the kid does is get open and have great hands. I don't care about yards after catch. Meyers averages 14 yards a catch already. Same with Harris. He's the clear #1 RB. Over 5 yards a carry and 3.8 yards after contact. Who cares that he won't rip an 80 yard run once a season. We have our #1 RB and #1 WR. Now get the OC to stop being obtuse and unleash Asiasi in the passing game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents