PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers game ball: 169 yards , 12 catches on 14 targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meyers is our #1 receiver. It's not even close. People need to stop saying he's a #2 or #3. All the kid does is get open and have great hands. I don't care about yards after catch. Meyers averages 14 yards a catch already. Same with Harris. He's the clear #1 RB. Over 5 yards a carry and 3.8 yards after contact. Who cares that he won't rip an 80 yard run once a season. We have our #1 RB and #1 WR. Now get the OC to stop being obtuse and unleash Asiasi in the passing game.

You have to imagine if we can get other NFL quality targets he will be even better.

I mean right now hes the focus of the opposing team.

Meyers is our #1 receiver. It's not even close. People need to stop saying he's a #2 or #3. All the kid does is get open and have great hands. I don't care about yards after catch. Meyers averages 14 yards a catch already. Same with Harris. He's the clear #1 RB. Over 5 yards a carry and 3.8 yards after contact. Who cares that he won't rip an 80 yard run once a season. We have our #1 RB and #1 WR. Now get the OC to stop being obtuse and unleash Asiasi in the passing game.

I love Meyers but he’s not a #1 receiver in the NFL.... not a Jones/Hopkins/Golladay/ Green/Brown etc.Look at the catch Julio Jones had vs pats in the Super Bowl, that is a #1 receiver.

Meyers is OUR #1 because we have a serious void of talent.

I absolutely love the kid. I have one tiny gripe with his game that I was hoping he could improve which is he always stops as soon as he catches the ball and does a “step back” move.... on a few occasions I’ve seen that has he kept moving in same direction he could have picked up many more yards...

I love Meyers but he’s not a #1 receiver in the NFL.... not a Jones/Hopkins/Golladay/ Green/Brown etc.Look at the catch Julio Jones had vs pats in the Super Bowl, that is a #1 receiver.

I absolutely love the kid. I have one tiny gripe with his game that I was hoping he could improve which is he always stops as soon as he catches the ball and does a “step back” move.... on a few occasions I’ve seen that has he kept moving in same direction he could have picked up many more yards...

I don't disagree. Yes he's not an all pro like Julio Jones. But he's clearly our #1 receiver and his production makes him a 1000 yard receiver in our system. Meyers is a keeper. Another unbelievable undrafted FA find by Belichick.

Yea he's not great after the catch. Just keep moving forward. When he dances around he usually loses yards. It's a minor issue. The kid still gets open like crazy and has great hands. His average yards per catch is almost double that of NKeal

I'm just curious whom you consider to be a #1 receiver for the Pats during the Belichick era (besides Moss, obviously).

It's been interesting looking up AllPro/ProBowls for the Pats: the only multi year WR (non Slater division) All Pro was Welker (undrafted, slower 40 than Meyers and did nothing until his 3rd year (67recs w/Dolphins - note that Ford is 1st Miami trade since Welker).

While that Jones catch in the SB was incredible, he's had some awful wide open drops (watch the one against the Panthers). That being said, he's a freak of nature.

Meyers isn't a preimum athlete but his positioning and route running are elite, and he's got enough speed to throw defenders off balance and get open. And I think he's got more to offer with a couple more years of experience under his belt.

In an ideal world I think Meyers settles into a number three receiver role. He isn't a crazy athlete but he knows how to get open and understands how to find holes in the zone to help out his QB.

In an ideal world I think Meyers settles into a number three receiver role. He isn't a crazy athlete but he knows how to get open and understands how to find holes in the zone to help out his QB.
Yep, we still need both a #1 & a 2...Harry/Byrd/Ford are #4/5/6s...

Last edited:
Why are we arguing if Meyers is a 1 or 2. Bottom line is at his consistent game to game pace , he's definitely a 1000 yard receiver for the Patriots already.

I'm just curious whom you consider to be a #1 receiver for the Pats during the Belichick era (besides Moss, obviously).

It's been interesting looking up AllPro/ProBowls for the Pats: the only multi year WR (non Slater division) All Pro was Welker (undrafted, slower 40 than Meyers and did nothing until his 3rd year (67recs w/Dolphins - note that Ford is 1st Miami trade since Welker).

While that Jones catch in the SB was incredible, he's had some awful wide open drops (watch the one against the Panthers). That being said, he's a freak of nature.
Well keep in mind we had the greatest TE to ever strap on Pads in Gronk and even Hernandez (yeah I know, blasphemy)

Terry Glenn was close to elite. Welker and Edelman both have/had explosive quickness. Josh Gordon had the tools of a #1 elite receiver but couldn’t get life in order, AB is elite. Obviously the Pats see value in that type of player but it always has to be on a bargain like Moss/Gordon/AB

I am definitely in the Brady camp that we’ve lacked weapons

Well keep in mind we had the greatest TE to ever strap on Pads in Gronk and even Hernandez (yeah I know, blasphemy)

Terry Glenn was close to elite. Welker and Edelman both have/had explosive quickness. Josh Gordon had the tools of a #1 elite receiver but couldn’t get life in order, AB is elite. Obviously the Pats see value in that type of player but it always has to be on a bargain like Moss/Gordon/AB

I am definitely in the Brady camp that we’ve lacked weapons
I can't discount the value of the TE as receiver (as we've clearly witnessed over the last 1.5 years). I wondered how Cam got that Panthers team to 17-2 (scoring tons of points) with relatively mediocre wide receivers, but forgot that he had 3 time Pro Bowler Greg Olsen who put up 77/1104 that year (in addition to their rushing, obv).

I can't discount the value of the TE as receiver (as we've clearly witnessed over the last 1.5 years). I wondered how Cam got that Panthers team to 17-2 (scoring tons of points) with relatively mediocre wide receivers, but forgot that he had 3 time Pro Bowler Greg Olsen who put up 77/1104 that year (in addition to their rushing, obv).

Cam is great throwing to TE Olson and RB McCaffrey. Meanwhile our OC has zero place for tight ends in the passing game or getting James White involved

Mechanically, newton is a mess. His feet are rarely set and his throwing motion is awful. Like he really does not want to throw the ball.

clearly he looks most comfortable when Meyers is playing and we have the running game going.

why does newton play so bad on the road?

I am seriously doubting the "no weapons" excuse at this point. Cam had ball batted down on 4-5 occasions and threw the ball in the dirt on a few more....

I think Cam has trouble finding the open man and can't anticipate well enough. He is awful under pressure cant get feet set/throws off balance etc..

Add a 3/3 day at the office. He now sits at 75.6% catch rate (would be the highest since 2015 for a pats WR) & 12.6 YPR. Most of all, he's starting to get attention & open up opportunities for others:

Cam's passer rating up to 98.6 since he entered the starting lineup. Get a #1 WR & you may be getting somewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back