PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jaguars sign (edit: cut) Tebow

I always liked Tebow, he seems like a good guy and a good teammate. I don't see this as a big deal. He's getting a shot to make the team among a whole slew of other dudes Jacksonville has on their preseason roster. Although it's not very recent, Tebow has played in the pros so it's not like he's some bum off the street Meyer is giving a shot to. I'd be surprised if he makes the roster but I hope he does well.

I never quite got the Tebow hype or the Tebow hate. He was a really good college qb whose game never quite translated and was good enough in the nfl. However it was always amazing to me that certain people found it perfectly acceptable to rip him because of his religion. The way he practices his religion certainly isn’t the way I do, but the people that rip him for that have to realize they are religious bigots right? Hating someone for his religious beliefs, just because you disagree with them is wrong on so many levels. Unless your understanding of your own religion leads you to do awful things against others, who cares. Lots and lots of nfl players are very religious. None of my business.

"I never quite got the Kaepernick hype or the Kaepernick hate. He was a two-year wonder whose game was figured out quickly by the rest of the NFL. However it was always amazing to me that certain people found it perfectly acceptable to rip him because of his politics. The way he express his political ideas certainly isn't the way I do, but the people that rip him for that have to realize they are being bullies, right? Hating someone for his political beliefs just because you disagree with them is wrong on so many levels. Unless you understanding of your own politics leads you to do awful things against others, who cares. Lots and lots of NFL players are political. None of my business."

The answer, in both cases, is the same: Once you publicly take a stand on an issue that can cause controversy (religion and politics), some people will criticize you. In this day and age, the criticism will be extra loud because of how polarized every debate is and because EVERYONE has an outlet to express that criticism.

Tim Tebow is not just religious, he is annoyingly religious and his faith is part of his marketing gimmick. Kaepernick built a brand around his activism. One has been black balled (and isn't worth the trouble to carry as a back-up), the other is being giving free opportunity after free opportunity in different sports just because. Some people will see a double standard and say the situation reeks of priviledge. The group that likes Kaepernick will hate Tebow and the group that likes Tebow will most likely hate Kaepernick too.

Reality is, both are ****ty players that have became symbols for one of the two "groups" in the United States. That makes you a lightning rod... and... at the end of the day has very little to do with religion or race equality.

Personally, I have nothing against Tebow being over-the-top religious or Kaepernick taking a political stand. Mostly because, well, I am not American. I can take a distance from the whole thing and just look at things for what they are. There are huge cultural issues in the US and they go far beyond those dudes who, for whatever reason, became symbols. It is sad, really.

I always liked Tebow, he seems like a good guy and a good teammate. I don't see this as a big deal. He's getting a shot to make the team among a whole slew of other dudes Jacksonville has on their preseason roster. Although it's not very recent, Tebow has played in the pros so it's not like he's some bum off the street Meyer is giving a shot to. I'd be surprised if he makes the roster but I hope he does well.
There's really no precedent for signing a 33 year old who washed out of football almost a decade ago to play a completely new position.

I don't get the obsession with Kaepernick. His last season he was horrible and was benched.

If he was good no team would care about his politics
Insert Teblow for Kaepernick and religion for politics and there you have it.

Insert Teblow for Kaepernick and religion for politics and there you have it.

And it is not true that people would not care about his politics if he were good.

Lebron James is getting attacked for his politics all the time and he is a top 5 NBA player ever. Curt Schilling and Tim Thomas are/were attacked for their politics all the time, both are HOF caliber players in their respective sport.

Michael Jordan was right when he said that Republican bought shoes too. It was a pretty shallow thing to say, but it was true. Once you take a stand, whatever it is, you will alienate a good portion of the people.

There's really no precedent for signing a 33 year old who washed out of football almost a decade ago to play a completely new position.
Sigh. Tebow did play TE for the Jets and also punt protector too and RB and QB. The guy is as versatile as they come. Even if he is designated as "TE" Meyer will move him all over much like the way Saints used Hill I would imagine. They would be crazy not to have him run it inside the 10 and also do some wildcat in spots throughout the game.

Players who came out of retirement to play again in NFL after age 30 (Tebow is hardly the first)

1. Marshawn Lynch
2. Randy Moss
3. Brett Favre
4. Ricky Williams
5. Deion Sanders
6. Reggie White

The player backlash against Tebow is unwarranted

Players who came out of retirement to play again in NFL after age 30 (Tebow is hardly the first)

1. Marshawn Lynch
2. Randy Moss
3. Brett Favre
4. Ricky Williams
5. Deion Sanders
6. Reggie White

I think the difference here is how much time Tebow has been out of football. That is not an insignificant factor IMO.

1. Marshawn Lynch - SUPERSTAR, potential HOFer
2. Randy Moss - HOFer
3. Brett Favre - HOFer
4. Ricky Williams - Star
5. Deion Sanders - HOFer
6. Reggie White - HOFer

Tim Tebow - washed out 6 years ago and played minor league baseball, trying a new position at 33.

I mean, I get your point, but it is not comparable at all.

Good for Tebow and good for the Jags if he makes it and makes an impact, but let's not act as if him coming back at 33 is the same as Hall of Famers doing it.

I think the difference here is how much time Tebow has been out of football. That is not an insignificant factor IMO.
It's one thing for people to be dubious. It's another thing for people to get offended, for people to be railing against a guy getting to be among 90 players trying to make a 53 man squad, and for it to become a national story that dominates headlines.

And it's yet another thing for a bunch of idiots to show, once again, their bigotry just because a religious guy wants to try making a football team.

It's one thing for people to be dubious. It's another thing for people to get offended, for people to be railing against a guy getting to be among 90 players trying to make a 53 man squad, and for it to become a national story that dominates headlines.

And it's yet another thing for a bunch of idiots to show, once again, their bigotry just because a religious guy wants to try making a football team.

I'm confused as to why you quoted me when saying this.

I'm confused as to why you quoted me when saying this.
You were the first one who responded to a post that stated

by saying

I think the difference here is

which is an attempt to explain and/or justify the backlash. So I noted that there's a difference between honest doubt and dishonest/bigoted responses, because we've been seeing a whole lot of dishonest/bigoted responses (and, no, I don't consider yours to have been one of that variety).

You were the first one who responded to a post that stated

by saying

which is an attempt to explain and/or justify the backlash. So I noted that there's a difference between honest doubt and dishonest/bigoted responses, because we've been seeing a whole lot of dishonest/bigoted responses (and, no, I don't consider yours to have been one of that variety).

Understood. Thank you for the clarification.

Tebow and Drew Henson are examples of splitting focus leading to mediocrity.

And it is not true that people would not care about his politics if he were good.

Lebron James is getting attacked for his politics all the time and he is a top 5 NBA player ever. Curt Schilling and Tim Thomas are/were attacked for their politics all the time, both are HOF caliber players in their respective sport.

Michael Jordan was right when he said that Republican bought shoes too. It was a pretty shallow thing to say, but it was true. Once you take a stand, whatever it is, you will alienate a good portion of the people.
Lebron is getting attacked but he's still on a team because he's a great player. He's not getting cut from the Lakers or cast out of the league.

That was merely my point. If kap was putting up numbers like his Superbowl season he would be on a team.

Teams will put up with alot if you are talented. If you are a distraction and not offering much on the field, then good luck

That and the fact that those other players were all great and Tebow was objectively terrible. And never actually played this position full time.

I'm sensing some extreme animus emanating from Casa PJ...my answer? When life gets you down, stare at a clown...a Tebow clown :p:p:p

TebowClown1.jpg

"I never quite got the Kaepernick hype or the Kaepernick hate. He was a two-year wonder whose game was figured out quickly by the rest of the NFL. However it was always amazing to me that certain people found it perfectly acceptable to rip him because of his politics. The way he express his political ideas certainly isn't the way I do, but the people that rip him for that have to realize they are being bullies, right? Hating someone for his political beliefs just because you disagree with them is wrong on so many levels. Unless you understanding of your own politics leads you to do awful things against others, who cares. Lots and lots of NFL players are political. None of my business."

The answer, in both cases, is the same: Once you publicly take a stand on an issue that can cause controversy (religion and politics), some people will criticize you. In this day and age, the criticism will be extra loud because of how polarized every debate is and because EVERYONE has an outlet to express that criticism.

Tim Tebow is not just religious, he is annoyingly religious and his faith is part of his marketing gimmick. Kaepernick built a brand around his activism. One has been black balled (and isn't worth the trouble to carry as a back-up), the other is being giving free opportunity after free opportunity in different sports just because. Some people will see a double standard and say the situation reeks of priviledge. The group that likes Kaepernick will hate Tebow and the group that likes Tebow will most likely hate Kaepernick too.

Reality is, both are ****ty players that have became symbols for one of the two "groups" in the United States. That makes you a lightning rod... and... at the end of the day has very little to do with religion or race equality.

Personally, I have nothing against Tebow being over-the-top religious or Kaepernick taking a political stand. Mostly because, well, I am not American. I can take a distance from the whole thing and just look at things for what they are. There are huge cultural issues in the US and they go far beyond those dudes who, for whatever reason, became symbols. It is sad, really.
How is wanting the police to stop targeting, harrassing, bullying and murdering black people political? Don't both parties want equal rights for all Americans?

Last edited:
I don't understand how everyone is missing this. I don't have a problem with Tebow outside of his proselytizing. Him being signed to play TE in the NFL is a joke. He has zero chance of contributing anything meaningful. He lacks the foot speed, speed and size to play the position. Today's TEs are basically very large WRs. Maybe 25 years ago he could have carved out a backup TE role on some team. But today? Zero chance. Zip, zero, zilch nada. This is just a clown doing a buddy a solid as Tebow needs three games to get fully vested. The only real problem with this (if you are a Jags fan) is how much credibility it is going to cost Urban in his locker room. A coach coming out of college who is already facing an uphill battle in being respected by his veteran players and establishing a winning culture. This was not smart on his part. Couple that with Lawrence's comments about how important football is to him. I don't see this going well. You can skate in the NFL on sheer talent. But the truly elite QBs are maniacal with their preparation. Lawrence might be a very good QB. But I don't see him being a great one. I think this Urban/Lawrence thing has a chance to be a giant mess over the next few years. We will see. Still doesn't take responsibility for the Caulpepper over Brees decision he made years ago.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back