Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How confident are you that Brissett makes the roster this year

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first time I have seen the Pats this year.

I was not impressed with Jacoby from what I saw tonight.

Needs work on his touch and has too big of a throwing motion, even on the short stuff.

I didn't see what he saw of course, but that intentially incompleted pass at the feet of a receiver in the backfield seemed like he may be giving up on a play too early.

On the last play where he fumbled, Tom or Jimmy gets that pass off and their arms don't get hit.

Very disappointed in what I saw tonight.

As I've said, good kid/work ethic....horrible quarterback.

People seem to only remember the Texans game (where he did very little) and completely forget we got SHUT OUT by the BILLS at HOME with Jacoby as QB. Enough said.

People seem to only remember the Texans game (where he did very little) and completely forget we got SHUT OUT by the BILLS at HOME with Jacoby as QB. Enough said.
Well, in all fairness, he wasn't expected to have the capacity to run much of the offense in week 3 of his rookie year, but it sure would be concerning if he isn't showing any improvement in his second year.

You guys worry too much about our 3rd string QB.
We have Jimmy as a backup, sure things can happen but I believe in the coaching staff and they will get things squared away by the time season starts.

Well, in all fairness, he wasn't expected to have the capacity to run much of the offense in week 3 of his rookie year, but it sure would be concerning if he isn't showing any improvement in his second year.

How do we measure "improvement" from out big comfy couch or from the eyes of BB??...

Difficult to tell how much he has improved as most of the Pats he is playing with are down in the depth chart, not offering an excuse.. but how do we know??

He was playing hurt against the Bills. I recall the threads asking whether we'd have Julian Edelman start at quarterback.

That's fair, but it's not accurate to say he isn't showing any improvement. I think his mechanics and accuracy have noticeably improved from last year. The problem is he's being compared to the best quarterback in living memory and a guy who could probably start at a Pro Bowl level right now. No third stringer is going to hold up well in comparison to either of those two.

Just checking is everyone in agreement that hell will freeze over before this guy is cut? I personally have gone from 100% to maybe 70%. I don't like how he's played. His mobile/run-option play isn't best suited with our receiver corps. Now his mechanics are a issue and he's going to reset and start fixing his action (presumably to learn to be a pocket passer, we saw this crap from Tebow and others as well). And BB gave this long speech on mechanics and the importance of young players to be mechanically sound blah blah and then Brissett saying he's back to the drawing board. Meanwhile we held on to Jimmy for this year anyway so we're covered for backup QB for this year.

The assumption is that a 3rd year Brissett is better than a rookie or FA we can pick up next year. But is there any chance the coaches decide the opposite is true, or just as good, and hence no need to carry the cost of a roster slot that could potentially be given to Carr/Holister/Langi/Adam Butler etc or someone else.

And for those wondering, yes we have let 3rd round drafted QBs go after one year - Kevin O'Connell 2008. So it's not unprecedented. And frankly I don't know if Brissett is any better. Or what kind of confidence the staff has in him.
Cut him, if he makes it to the practice squad fine. Keep someone that will contribute

Cut him, if he makes it to the practice squad fine. Keep someone that will contribute
Brissett is still better than the drek left on the market and having him frees you u p to trade Jimmy Garoppolo if a good trade offer presents itself.

How do we measure "improvement" from out big comfy couch or from the eyes of BB??...

Difficult to tell how much he has improved as most of the Pats he is playing with are down in the depth chart, not offering an excuse.. but how do we know??

It's really tough to judge. I will say that last night didn't give me anything to brag about. No negative or positive takeaways in my book. That doesn't mean there aren't any just that I can't judge them by watching the game.

We don't even know what brissett was in that game to work on.

Impossible for us to judge at this point. Cassel showed little, yet was able to lead a stacked team to 11-5. I have no reason to doubt JB would be able to get to 10 wins with this stacked team (especially in the putrid AFCE).

So, there is no reason to overly analyse. He was injured last season, yet BB held on to him and had him return instead of IR. To me, that showed much about how BB feels about JB.

This is the first time I have seen the Pats this year.

I was not impressed with Jacoby from what I saw tonight.

Needs work on his touch and has too big of a throwing motion, even on the short stuff.

I didn't see what he saw of course, but that intentially incompleted pass at the feet of a receiver in the backfield seemed like he may be giving up on a play too early.

On the last play where he fumbled, Tom or Jimmy gets that pass off and their arms don't get hit.

Very disappointed in what I saw tonight.

I am curious about the concern with his throwing motion. It's not as compact as JG's but I don't think many are. I don't see tipped balls at the LOS etc ...

He does need to work on his touch passes and his short pass accuracy. His long ball seems decent. He can definitely whip it and often does.

I think he makes good throwing decisions albeit to slow at times.

Anyways just curious about the throwing motion concerns.

Brissett is still better than the drek left on the market and having him frees you u p to trade Jimmy Garoppolo if a good trade offer presents itself.

I have difficulty imagining any scenario in which the Patriots would trade Garoppolo before the 2017 trade deadline.

So, there is no reason to overly analyse. He was injured last season, yet BB held on to him and had him return instead of IR. To me, that showed much about how BB feels about JB.

It was more that they couldn't find anyone else who would help the team more, especially since they had healthy scratches in every game. (He was activated off the IR, but IIRC wasn't active at all after he came back.)

It was more that they couldn't find anyone else who would help the team more, especially since they had healthy scratches in every game. (He was activated off the IR, but IIRC wasn't active at all after he came back.)

But isn't the return from IR telling ? I'd be surprised if BB was unable to find a shadow roster player so early in the season to add to the 53... he loves those "last few spots".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back