Asking for your support

How confident are you that Brissett makes the roster this year

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffins

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just checking is everyone in agreement that hell will freeze over before this guy is cut? I personally have gone from 100% to maybe 70%. I don't like how he's played. His mobile/run-option play isn't best suited with our receiver corps. Now his mechanics are a issue and he's going to reset and start fixing his action (presumably to learn to be a pocket passer, we saw this crap from Tebow and others as well). And BB gave this long speech on mechanics and the importance of young players to be mechanically sound blah blah and then Brissett saying he's back to the drawing board. Meanwhile we held on to Jimmy for this year anyway so we're covered for backup QB for this year.

The assumption is that a 3rd year Brissett is better than a rookie or FA we can pick up next year. But is there any chance the coaches decide the opposite is true, or just as good, and hence no need to carry the cost of a roster slot that could potentially be given to Carr/Holister/Langi/Adam Butler etc or someone else.

And for those wondering, yes we have let 3rd round drafted QBs go after one year - Kevin O'Connell 2008. So it's not unprecedented. And frankly I don't know if Brissett is any better. Or what kind of confidence the staff has in him.

Last edited:
Just checking is everyone in agreement that hell will freeze over before this guy is cut? I personally have gone from 100% to maybe 80%. I don't like how he's played. His mobile/run-option play isn't best suited with our receiver corps. Now his mechanics are a issue and he's going to reset and start fixing his action (presumably to learn to be a pocket passer, we saw this crap from Tebow and others as well). And BB gave this long speech on mechanics and the importance of young players to be mechanically sound blah blah and then Brissett saying he's back to the drawing board. Meanwhile we held on to Jimmy for this year anyway so we're covered for backup QB for this year.

The assumption is that a 3rd year Brissett is better than a rookie or FA we can pick up next year. But is there any chance the coaches decide the opposite is true, or just as good, and hence no need to carry the cost of a roster slot that could potentially be given to Carr/Holister/Langi/Adam Butler etc or someone else.

And for those wondering, yes we have let 3rd QB picks go after one year - Kevin O'Connell 2008. So it's not unprecedented. And frankly I don't know if Brissett is any better. Or what kind of confidence the staff has in him.
They might roll the dice and put him on the practice squad.

I dont think so. All of our 3 QBs played regular season games last year and our backups gave us 3 wins and helped achieving HFA. That's a very recent example on how you can't be caught off guard in the Quarterback position.

Now this year BB deviate from his normal MO of building a team and loaded in the FA because he sees a weak league and no team in the same level of the Patriots and not disrespecting the others but its our championship to lose. So I don't think is wise after all this investment in this project to let go a QB that can suit up and win 1 or 2 games if necessary because of a roster spot. Not to mention we may get some return out of a trade next year or the other. QBs are valuable.

Now if you ask me, is he the future of this franchise? No, he is a very limited QB and it's too late to change the way he plays the game.

I remember in 2008 going to the Pats/Seahawks game in Seattle (I'm from Vancouver). We were watching the teams warm up and the QBs were throwing 15 yard outs. Cassel pretty much hit every receiver in the hands. O'Connell was bouncing the ball 2 yds in front of them. I was thinking then as a rookie what a waste of a draft pick he was.

I remember in 2008 going to the Pats/Seahawks game in Seattle (I'm from Vancouver). We were watching the teams warm up and the QBs were throwing 15 yard outs. Cassel pretty much hit every receiver in the hands. O'Connell was bouncing the ball 2 yds in front of them. I was thinking then as a rookie what a waste of a draft pick he was.

Do you feel Brissett is far better?

Never happen.

Brisset came with the recommendation from Parcells. BB wont throw in the towel on Briset 2 years in.

Ryan "thin man" Malllet and Rohan Davey were here a long time.

The Kevin O'Connell analogy is a bit of apples to oranges.

In the 2008 preseason and training camp when Brian Hoyer clearly outplayed O'Connell, Hoyer was a rookie - and therefore under contract to the Patriots for four years.

In 2017 Jimmy Garoppolo is in the final year of his contract, and presumably not on the roster next year. With an eye on 2018, that makes cutting Jacoby Brissett this year a much more difficult decision, and less likely scenario.

No disrespect to the OP at all but this is another thread that, imo, is two weeks premature.

It's impossible to know JB's value after the first preseason game.

Anyways I will make my judgement after the third preseason game. And even then it will be based on limited analysis.

They might roll the dice and put him on the practice squad.

If they did that I would take it as a very bad sign for JB. I would interpret that as they were willing to risk losing him.

Come On Man!
PatsFans.com edition.

The Pats needed 2 backups last season for obvious reasons. Not so this season. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make the cut as I'm in at 70%.

Carrying 3 QBs in the Brady era is rare and, while it's still early, many are reporting that he doesn't appear to be progressing/developing.

If he does go, it's unfortunate that he cost a third round pick.

Last edited:
The Pats needed 2 backups last season for obvious reasons. Not so this season. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't make the cut as I'm in at 70%.

Carrying 3 QBs in the Brady era is rare and, while it's still early, many are reporting that he doesn't appear to be progressing/developing.

39-year old starting QBs are equally rare. Other Teams (without TB) carrying 3 QBs is not rare. With JAG in last contract year, I would say the reasons for keeping three QBs is equally obvious.

He just doesn't throw the ball well at all. Not accurate. JG is way better at throwing the ball than brissett. I don't think brissett will last long in this league. It's amazing to me he was picked before dak Prescott, a much more polished passer.

As an important aside here, the Belichick-era Patriots have frequently entered the regular season with a rookie at QB2 (Garoppolo in 2014 most recently), but they have never entered training camp with a rookie at QB2.

Wernt people doing this same thread last year? I'm pretty glad we held onto Brisket

Wernt people doing this same thread last year? I'm pretty glad we held onto Brisket

Last year Brissett was backing up Jimmy for first 4 games. Things are different now.

JB is a 100% lock. There is no way he makes it onto the PS. Teams that have no QB and nothing to lose like the Jets would just claim him.

Never happen.

Brisset came with the recommendation from Parcells. BB wont throw in the towel on Briset 2 years in.

Ryan "thin man" Malllet and Rohan Davey were here a long time.

Ryan Mallet might be the Ravens starter opening day.

He's going to be the next John elway, except not a piece of ****.

Plus, dude came into the league with a mustache.....do you cut a guy like that? Hell no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes