Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How confident are you that Brissett makes the roster this year

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the roster battle comes down to Brissett and keeping DJ Foster, I'm keeping Foster.

If it's something like Brissett and Jordan Richards, then you keep Jacoby.

I have difficulty imagining any scenario in which the Patriots would trade Garoppolo before the 2017 trade deadline.
Nevertheless the freedom to do so f the situation arises has a certain value

If it comes down to keeping Brisset or keeping another player who could contribute this season.I would cut Brisset. Three quarterback is a luxury not a requirement.

So, there is no reason to overly analyse. He was injured last season, yet BB held on to him and had him return instead of IR. To me, that showed much about how BB feels about JB.

They needed him throwing passes on practice to gather more data given the tough decisions that were (and still are at a certain point) coming at QB. Couldn't wait until this present camp.

As risky as it is in these times, let's be honest, shall we?

There is nothing in Brissett's performance to date to suggest that his ceiling is anything better than a mediocre backup.

If we need one of those, fine, keep him.

He has no touch. He is inaccurate. His thinking is sluggish. He has the charisma of boiled cabbage.

He's "athletic." So what?

Surely there are more worthy roster candidates than this.

If it comes down to keeping Brisset or keeping another player who could contribute this season.I would cut Brisset. Three quarterback is a luxury not a requirement.
Most teams will carry 3 quarterbacks from r the same reason all baseball teams lock 2 positions down as catchers. because you never want to risk being one injury from needing to play a running back or tight end there.

Most teams will carry 3 quarterbacks from r the same reason all baseball teams lock 2 positions down as catchers. because you never want to risk being one injury from needing to play a running back or tight end there.

Any number of guys selling insurance for the time being would suffice. No need to tie up a spot for THIS mediocrity.

He's a 2nd year QB with an NFL arm, competitive as anyone, shows great toughness and is a great guy from all accounts.

He'll be scooped up within a day or two the most.

He has his flaws but also developed some bad habits in college when he was pressured a ton.

It was more that they couldn't find anyone else who would help the team more, especially since they had healthy scratches in every game. (He was activated off the IR, but IIRC wasn't active at all after he came back.)

Except BB specifically mentioned that they designated him to return from IR because being around the team during practice, film room and games is essential for a young QB.

The entire debate of taking fringe NFL level players like Foster, Lucien or Hollister over your QB3 when your QB1 is 40 and one severe hit away from retirement is just silly.

No, you cant just pick any QB off the street of something happens to Brady or JG and assume he will just learn the playbook.***** about JB all you want but he has been here for two offseasons and at least knows the players, the plays and maybe most importantly the coaches know him and how they can use him.

This is the first time I have seen the Pats this year.

I was not impressed with Jacoby from what I saw tonight.

Needs work on his touch and has too big of a throwing motion, even on the short stuff.

I didn't see what he saw of course, but that intentially incompleted pass at the feet of a receiver in the backfield seemed like he may be giving up on a play too early.

On the last play where he fumbled, Tom or Jimmy gets that pass off and their arms don't get hit.

Very disappointed in what I saw tonight.

FWIW, that pass he threw away intentionally (at the feet of Foster) was to protect Foster from getting beheaded by the backer making a beeline for him. Had the sense to see that the backer read the wheel route all the way and was about to pop Foster whose head isn't on a swivel these days. Foster also blew a pair of blitz pickups, IRRC.

It's hard for Brissett to get rid of the ball quick with a revolving door of third stringers who are barely into the playbook much less getting on the same page and knowing where and when to break off their routes.

FWIW, that pass he threw away intentionally (at the feet of Foster) was to protect Foster from getting beheaded by the backer making a beeline for him. Had the sense to see that the backer read the wheel route all the way and was about to pop Foster whose head isn't on a swivel these days. Foster also blew a pair of blitz pickups, IRRC.

It's hard for Brissett to get rid of the ball quick with a revolving door of third stringers who are barely into the playbook much less getting on the same page and knowing where and when to break off their routes.

Well, I understand the charming impulse to make excuses for the guy, but, honestly, is this mediocrity really worthy of a roster spot? The answer is clear: no.

That's fair, but it's not accurate to say he isn't showing any improvement. I think his mechanics and accuracy have noticeably improved from last year. The problem is he's being compared to the best quarterback in living memory and a guy who could probably start at a Pro Bowl level right now. No third stringer is going to hold up well in comparison to either of those two.
For the record, I'm not saying that he's improved or regressed, one way or the other.

Well, I understand the charming impulse to make excuses for the guy, but, honestly, is this mediocrity really worthy of a roster spot? The answer is clear: no.

o_O

Brissett is still better than the drek left on the market and having him frees you u p to trade Jimmy Garoppolo if a good trade offer presents itself.
He doesn't free you up to trade. If TB went down and JB was the backup, you're finished, end of story. With JG, you're still in it.

Except BB specifically mentioned that they designated him to return from IR because being around the team during practice, film room and games is essential for a young QB.

(A) They had him traveling to games anyways (there is no rule prohibiting players on IR from traveling with the team).

(B) Players on IR can do anything the team does except practice and play. So he was able to attend meetings, hit the film room, etc.

And yet more years than not since 2010, the Patriots haven't even bothered to have a third QB on the payroll, let alone on the 53.

He hasn't seemed to have improved from his rookie season. In fact, I think he played better as a rookie. So I'm torn. There might be a better roster option via trade or some other team's cut. Could definitely use another pass rusher.

He hasn't seemed to have improved from his rookie season. In fact, I think he played better as a rookie. So I'm torn. There might be a better roster option via trade or some other team's cut. Could definitely use another pass rusher.

If BB sees an area or two where Jacoby has improved, then I can understand keeping him. But if pretty much every aspect of his game has regressed, well he was a project to begin.

He's got to show improvement; some hope by the end of game 4 (which will be entirely his) that he could be a starter, or least a top backup in the league in the next two years.

If the team's assessment were that there's no improvement from last year after the next two games, BB might decide he is not worth a roster spot.

I think he's cut. Especially if it comes down to him or Foster, as another poster mentioned. He hasn't developed any touch on his passes and the team kept 3 QBs last year due to Brady's suspension. Brady is an iron man at the position and JAG is a more than capable back-up. If the extremely unlikely happens, they can make an in-season trade or pick someone up off the scrap heap. Brissett is expendable and they'll need a contributor at another position. IMO, he's gone. They'll either trade him or cut him outright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes