2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How confident are you that Brissett makes the roster this year

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
thats the problem....Brissett has reached binky status here
No, he has reached "intelligent people realize he's a project rather than a player expected to immediately produce" status.

So are you an intelligent person BlacknGold77?

Try to ship him to the practice squad he'll be snapped up by a team that wants another option at quarterback and will want to try to develop him on the job, or just let him try to take his college game to the NFL. It would be a mistake, but there's at least 10 franchises desperate enough to make exactly that mistake.

We are not the only franchise that sees potential in Jacoby Brissett. We are, however, one of the few franchises with the luxury to break him down and build him up better, let him redevelop his game while being protected from getting exposed on the field during the learning process. The end result of that luxury is ideally a much better Brissett in 2-3 years. Bill sees enough potential to be worth the growing pains in the meantime, unlike you, I'm not going to try to second guess him on that one.

If you don't have any portion of your roster to set aside for preparing for future needs, you are not going to accomplish the 15 consecutive years of excellence that BB and the brain trust have achieved. NOT every roster spot in this franchise has to be about what a player is right now. Bill Belichick understands this. You don't seem to.

The Patriots can find QB's that can bridge us til Brady returns.

That changes when there is no more Brady. And at 40 YO, that moment could sneak up on us all of a sudden. At that point you're looking for your next leader, and that guy is probably not on our roster right now.

This is why we're working with Brissett. He's a longish term project with good assets and mechanical flaws, that we have the luxury to try and develop right now, and might not have that luxury later on.

Jacoby Brissett doesn't just have NFL arm strength. He also has an NFL head and does not make a lot of mental mistakes on the field, has been praised repeatedly in his limited playing time for possessing very solid leadership skills on the field, and is known to be able to maintain his level of play in high pressure situations. If you can build an NFL level knowledge base onto that, and work on this guy's mechanics, he could be something.

Even Brissett's bad game was impressive in a way because it illuminates his character. Between Brissett and Garoppolo, both with severely limiting injuries on their throwing arm (Garoppolo with a busted shoulder, Brisset with a broken thumb), it was Brissett that wanted the ball. The kid's got a ton of character and a good head on his shoudlers as well as a strong arm. Hopefully the rest can be sorted out with practice. I can see exactly why BB is taking the trouble to work with this kid. He's got a very good foundation of talent, character, and grace under fire. They just need to break him down a bit and fix some bad habits.

Sacrificing our quarterback depth by jettisoning a low-risk, moderate-to-high reward project, in order to keep some second string scrub at another position is the definition of the old phrase, "penny wise, pound foolish."

Just wondering how you know he has an NFL head. All we've seen him do is run a glorified high school offense against Houston last year. He was completely lost against Buffalo. DO you have some inside knowledge about his mind?

That's because all you can see is the guy on the field at the moment.

Again, it's that whole "project" concept that a lot of Pats fans seem pathologically incapable of wrapping their heads around.

Hell let's compare it to another kind of project. Ever work on a project car? When you see the rustbucket on blocks are you seeing a few hundred dollars worth of scrap metal? Or are you seeing what a lot of hard work can turn that rustbucket into? If it's the former, you haven't worked on a project car in your life and probably never will.

I see a lot of you have the mindset that a rustbucket is a rustbucket and that's all it ever can be, and with that attitude, you're right. Fortunately Belichick is not quite so lazy and unimaginative.

Brissett has problems with his mechanics and accuracy and is working hard to learn the offensive playbook while at the same time breaking down his mechanics and adjusting to a new way of playing quarterback. He's the rustbucket on the block right now. Of course he looks like he has problems right now, he's reinventing himself, so he legit has problems right now. Good thing BB is smart enough to judge him based on what the work they're putting into him is going to make him into, rather than the mess that's on the field at the moment.

One of the thousands of moments over the last decade and a half where I was very glad the team is not being run by the collectie will of the fanbase.

Every player is a project and every year hundreds of players are cut after training camp. Stop with this fairy tale of a struggling player who turns out to be great, this is real world and the NFL is a business, the guy has been playing like this since high school and mechanics is something very difficult to change radically at this stage.

And where does this "he is working on his mechanics" talk is coming from? I'm not talking about you, everyone has come with this line recently, based on what? Did he hired a coach? Is he doing something very specific? We have no information to back this up. We are all supposing he is working on his mechanics. All we know is that he is getting reps in training camp. He might be happy with his current skill set and seeing no need to do some extra effort. Maybe he thinks he will improve with time. We know Brady does whatever is possible to improve even a tiny bit on his game and has done that since he came into the league, but not every player has this mindset and that's perfectly acceptable.

I'm not saying he should be cut, I don't even want that, but the reality is more simple than all this thing that BB is not judging the now and he's looking to the future and all that...I'm pretty sure BB is not a dreamer and has 60 years of football background to have a clear diagnosis by now. He has mastered the NFL economics and right now Brissett's cost/benefit makes a whole lot of sense to be cut. That's all. BB is not expecting his 3rd string QB to be better than some legit backups around the league, because none of the 3rd string QB's are. Brissett's ceiling right now is backup QB and there's a long way to go.

Of course that could change, just like Fitzpatrick could become a franchise QB, Hackenberg could become a decent QB, Tyrod Taylor could turn into Kaepernick from those 2 years when he was great, Cutler can have a MVP season. Well anything can happen, but the reality is rough sometimes. If Brissett were a Jets player we would be laughing our asses off watching him playing in pre season games. So because he is Patriots asset we go all "look, this is a project". Come on let's be real.

Last edited:
No, he has reached "intelligent people realize he's a project rather than a player expected to immediately produce" status.

So are you an intelligent person BlacknGold77?

Try to ship him to the practice squad he'll be snapped up by a team that wants another option at quarterback and will want to try to develop him on the job, or just let him try to take his college game to the NFL. It would be a mistake, but there's at least 10 franchises desperate enough to make exactly that mistake.

We are not the only franchise that sees potential in Jacoby Brissett. We are, however, one of the few franchises with the luxury to break him down and build him up better, let him redevelop his game while being protected from getting exposed on the field during the learning process. The end result of that luxury is ideally a much better Brissett in 2-3 years. Bill sees enough potential to be worth the growing pains in the meantime, unlike you, I'm not going to try to second guess him on that one.

If you don't have any portion of your roster to set aside for preparing for future needs, you are not going to accomplish the 15 consecutive years of excellence that BB and the brain trust have achieved. NOT every roster spot in this franchise has to be about what a player is right now. Bill Belichick understands this. You don't seem to.

and you just completely proved my point...full on binky status.

you do not waste, yes waste, a valuable roster spot on a QB project. that's what the practice squad is for.

Especially on a team as deep and talented as this Pats team is. Man 53 is not a throw away on this squad. To the contrary, a few of the cuts are going to be very valuable players.

and you just completely proved my point...full on binky status.

you do not waste, yes waste, a valuable roster spot on a QB project. that's what the practice squad is for.

Especially on a team as deep and talented as this Pats team is. Man 53 is not a throw away on this squad. To the contrary, a few of the cuts are going to be very valuable players.

A nonissue. 3 quarterbacks is the minimum with the #1 as old as he is. Very few teams break camp with just 2 quarterbacks and most of those have a guy in his prime as the #1 playcaller. Brady is still going strong, but "im his prime" is a stretch so yeah, we're carrying 3 quarterbacks. Heck with Bledsoe in his prime the Patriots carried 4 quarterbacks in 2000 just so they could draft Brady.

The only valid question is who the third quarterback should be, not whether or not there is one.

Just wondering how you know he has an NFL head. All we've seen him do is run a glorified high school offense against Houston last year. He was completely lost against Buffalo. DO you have some inside knowledge about his mind?

This is a personal prejudice of mine, but it seems to be backed up by Bill Belichick's actions and lack thereof. I see Jacoby Brissett as a player who makes good decisions but plays a style not well suited to the NFL. I see the team trying to break that down a bit and rework his mechanics to get the most out of him. That's a process that generally takes time to really get right. I don't feel like Brissett's fully comfortable with it yet and he still has a ways to go. That's OK, we need to carry a third quarterback anyway so it might as well be a guy with some longterm upside.

The fact of the matter is that the Houston Texans are one of the best defensive teams in the NFL, and Jacoby Brissett, despite only having a few months to master the playbook (obviously limiting what BB could do with him) was able to play an effective, if highly limited, offensive strategy.

In my opinion it's actually harder to run a "high school" offense against a bigtime NFL defense than it is to throw the whole playbook at them. And it's worth pointing out that Brissett was able to execute that limited offense successfully for 60 minutes without making large numbers of fatal mistakes. That's what I see when I say that Brissett has an NFL head.

Compare the job Brissett managed to accomplish in Houston to his badly overpaid counterpart. Brissett did a very good job staying within himself, made very few mistakes, did not turn over the ball, and didn't take stupid risks. When he did make the one explosive play, the rushing touchdown, he did it knowing that it was both safe and the right play, and he executed it well.

He didn't throw the ball accurately but if you look at his placement in that game, he usually threw the ball so that only Patriots could catch it. if it hit the grass, oh well. He played a disciplined and intelligent game, and if the playbook was limited for him that's probably understandable considering his severely limited experience. To put it in Belichick's own style, he did his job.

I remember when a Jacoby Brissett highlight video at nc state was posted here after the draft. One poster said "I didn't see one impressive highlight in that whole video." I agreed. Even in a highlight video designed to make brissett look good, he didn't look good at all. He doesn't have a future as an NFL starting QB, his arm is nowhere near talented enough..bottom line

:mad: That Bill Fatcells hood winked us from Dak Prescott who doesn't have any accuracy Issues that plagues many young QB's. Biscuit based on his delivery is in the wrong sport he winds up like a Pitcher.:rolleyes:

I remember when a Jacoby Brissett highlight video at nc state was posted here after the draft. One poster said "I didn't see one impressive highlight in that whole video." I agreed. Even in a highlight video designed to make brissett look good, he didn't look good at all. He doesn't have a future as an NFL starting QB, his arm is nowhere near talented enough..bottom line

I won't argue that he didn't show much last game but he has shown that he has a decent long ball, he can throw accurately on the run and has shown signs of beginning to read coverages properly. He needs to speed up those reads and make quicker decisions. It would be tough for any QB to do that in the beginning of his second year.

You could be right but I don't think we can rule out whether he will be capable of a starting job or not at this early in his career.

I won't argue that he didn't show much last game but he has shown that he has a decent long ball, he can throw accurately on the run and has shown signs of beginning to read coverages properly. He needs to speed up those reads and make quicker decisions. It would be tough for any QB to do that in the beginning of his second year.

You could be right but I don't think we can rule out whether he will be capable of a starting job or not at this early in his career.

That's not necessarily true Tony he has the Playbook for Two years now he should well know what we do. Biscuit may have been over drafted his playing style doesn't fit this Offense he looks uncomfortable and confused. This is a fact whether people want to admit it or not year two is critical for the development of most NFL players baring injuries. Biscuit seems to be going backward instead of forward. That said we haven't exactly set the world on fire with our Third Round selections aside from Joe Thuney so Biscuit could well be another Third Round Bust in the making.

That's not necessarily true Tony he has the Playbook for Two years now he should well know what we do. Biscuit may have been over drafted his playing style doesn't fit this Offense he looks uncomfortable and confused. This is a fact whether people want to admit it or not year two is critical for the development of most NFL players baring injuries. Biscuit seems to be going backward instead of forward. That said we haven't exactly set the world on fire with our Third Round selections aside from Joe Thuney so Biscuit could well be another Third Round Bust in the making.

I posted some observations after the first game. Most all his throws were to the correct receiver imo. IOW he made the right reads. But speeding that decision making process up takes experience and I'm not sure one year is enough time to expect that. He does hold on to the ball too long.

I honestly don't think he has regressed but I also know he hasn't really flashed during the last two games either. Hopefully he gets more snaps over the next two games.

I posted some observations after the first game. Most all his throws were to the correct receiver imo. IOW he made the right reads. But speeding that decision making process up takes experience and I'm not sure one year is enough time to expect that. He does hold on to the ball too long.

I honestly don't think he has regressed but I also know he hasn't really flashed during the last two games either. Hopefully he gets more snaps over the next two games.
Well, he's not likely to get a lot, if any in the next game. Game 4 will be his chance.

Well, he's not likely to get a lot, if any in the next game. Game 4 will be his chance.

But if he look good in Game 4 against guys who are going to be on the streets in a week does that carry legitimate weigh??

But if he look good in Game 4 against guys who are going to be on the streets in a week does that carry legitimate weigh??
Nothing Brissett does in the next 2 games is going to end this argument, if that's what you're thinking.

It's going to be a case of people seeing what they want to see. Those like me who like Jacoby's longterm potential to be an average or better big league passer will overlook a few shortcomings in the preseason. Those who have other binkies that they fantasize might just make the roster if we made the suicidal decision to carry only 2 quarterbacks, will feel differently.

I don't see who the Patriots would be better off as having at number 3. Remember, the Patriots will have to have a number 2 QB next year, whether the starter is Brady or Jimmy, somebody will have to hold the clipboard. Is it gonna be some JAG off the scrap heap or a draft pick? I don't know, but I suspect Belichick doesn't want to go into the draft having nothing but question marks at the number 2 QB position.

I don't see who the Patriots would be better off as having at number 3. Remember, the Patriots will have to have a number 2 QB next year, whether the starter is Brady or Jimmy, somebody will have to hold the clipboard. Is it gonna be some JAG off the scrap heap or a draft pick? I don't know, but I suspect Belichick doesn't want to go into the draft having nothing but question marks at the number 2 QB position.

hence the point I've been making...you cut him to the practice squad. Nobody is gonna steal Brissett. Send him to the PS and let him learn there. Sitting on the sidelines holding a clipboard isnt going to do his development any good.

Roster spots are far too valuable on the team this year to carry a 3rd QB

If Biscuit have Practice Squad Eligibility I am confident he makes it. He has not improved one bit and doesn't look like a NFL QB in the making.
There is no way Brissett makes it to the Pats PS. Have you seen the quality of QB play out there, especially from backup QBs? If cut, Brissett would be the Jets starting QB on week one, or the Colts (sans Luck). And there are at least a dozen teams that would snatch him up in an instant to be their backup (Dolphins, Chargers, Cowboys, Broncos for starters).

There is no way Brissett makes it to the Pats PS. Have you seen the quality of QB play out there, especially from backup QBs? If cut, Brissett would be the Jets starting QB on week one, or the Colts (sans Luck). And there are at least a dozen teams that would snatch him up in an instant to be their backup (Dolphins, Chargers, Cowboys, Broncos for starters).
Yeah. Most of them look more or less like Brisset.

He just doesn't throw the ball well at all. Not accurate. JG is way better at throwing the ball than brissett. I don't think brissett will last long in this league. It's amazing to me he was picked before dak Prescott, a much more polished passer.

Maybe Parcells pushed Brisset to keep the Pats from getting Prescott. I wouldn't trust Tuna as far as I could throw him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back