PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is that the most tainted sports championship you've witnessed?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

@Ian, could we get a filter that adds an asterisk * to the end of words like Chiefs* or Mahomes*?

• Yes please add a filter like that, I'll donate to make it happen

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • No don't do it

Votes: 27 48.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many worse holds not called so to call it there was ridiculous and honestly made the game less than it could have been. Maybe the Eagles score or maybe the Chiefs hold but I wanted to see that outcome. It would have been much more dramatic.

There were 5 holds by the Giants OL in SB 42 which went uncalled which were all worse that that.

Just kidding on this. It is what it is. Officiating this offseason was uneven and it's obviously disappointing it came down to that call at the end. However, that being said, if Hurts doesn't fumble and they go up 21-7, it's a completely different ball game and honestly, that was definitely the difference in this one, more so than the call.

Everyone is talking about the refs…. yeah, but the bigger question is who was responsible for watering down the field in the damn desert?

Guys were slipping and sliding around, especially the Eagles. If I wanted to slow down the fastest pass rush in the league making the field a slip and slide would be the way to do it.

This was Arizona… the desert. Give me a break.
This is hardly the first Super Bowl to have a slippery field. I don't know WTF the League is doing wrong, but it is a consistent problem.

IDK. When the player says it was legit holding and he was "hoping" that the refs would let it go, it is hard to argue about.
And I don't think it changed the outcome. They would have gotten close enough to kick the game winner, using up a bit more time and we wouldn't have had to watch the Eagles flail around at the end, which is just as much of a stain on the game if it succeeds.
The chiefs were winning at the time, would have kicked a fg. Far from sure thing eagles would have scored touchdown on last drive
What game were you people watching??

I like Kansas City. I like Andy Reid. I like Patrick Mahomes. It is easy to like a team that has never beaten you in a big game. And I love BBQ.

I hate Philadelphia. I hate the city. I hate their fans. I hate Lane Johnson. The only time I have ever been legitimately frightened at a football game was at the end of Super Bowl 39. Philly beat NE in a pretty big game once. And I hate cheesesteak.

Having said that, Philly got royally screwed last night, pure and simple. Yes, KC out played Philly in the 2nd half - and Philly outplayed KC in the first half. It created a situation where one single bad call could easily determine the outcome and sure enough that's what happened.

I am not going to lose any sleep over it - and part of me enjoys it - but Philly got screwed.

It didn't happen at the end of the game so I guess it had no bearing on the game, but they missed a fairly obvious dpi on Bradbury that ended a chiefs drive. **** happens.

It didn't happen at the end of the game so I guess it had no bearing on the game, but they missed a fairly obvious dpi on Bradbury that ended a chiefs drive. **** happens.

Congrats on the win.

For the most part, I thought the officiating was fairly consistent. My observations were:
1) They let the offensive linemen on both sides get away with ticky-tack holding that generally gets called at least a couple of times per game.
2) They also mostly ignored the hands to the face penalties that generally get called several times a game (the one they did call on Suh was so flagrant they had to call it).
3) One thing they chose to ignore as much as possible was defensive linemen lining up in the neutral zone. Even though they got called twice for it, the KC defensive linemen were lined up in the neutral zone multiple times that weren't called. The only way to stop that is to flag them until they stop. This is what happened to the Falcons when they played the Patriots in the SB. They were holding the Patriots receivers virtually every pass play until the officials called three penalties on them on the same drive. This convinced the Falcons they needed to stop doing it.
4) They also chose to ignore the Philly offensive line (mainly the right guard) not being set before the ball was snapped. This happened multiple times and I think this was only called once (the penalty that turned a 4th and 1 to a 4th and 6). As you all know, the next snap was Hurts with the unforced fumble that was returned for a TD.
5) As for the defensive holding at the end of the game, we all probably saw way more contact and grabbing on both teams that weren't called. Why they chose to call the one defensive holding at the end of the game when worse ones happened earlier is still a head-scratcher. The official who called that penalty was the same official who deemed a more blatant defensive holding in the second quarter to not be a penalty. Both the call and non-call happened on the offense's left/defense's right so the official should have been in roughly the same relative position to view it. Why ignore the more blatant defensive hold in the first half and then call what most people (outside of Chiefs fans) would say was rather insignificant in comparison?

I just don't understand why we need to sink to their level.. Like. I get you. Refs suck. However we shouldn't sink to other fanbases levels you know? People always told us how refs had our backs. Let's not become them!

Don't misunderstand me. I am very much of the belief that if a team finds itself in the position of allowing a call have an outsized role in determining the outcome of the game, it is very likely that they do deserve it to some degree. Had the Eagles defense also boarded the flight to Arizona, we aren't having this discussion. However, despite all that, it is an measurable fact that a controversial, perhaps even objectively poor, call was made and had the impact of determining the final result of the game.

Was the fix in? That's for everyone to decide for themselves.

Did the NFL prefer Mahomes to win? Again, we will never know for sure, and will have to make that call for ourselves.

For me, the level and sort of media coverage lavished on Mahomes bears an uncanny resemblance to the kind provided to Rodgers, and before him, Fivehead. I choose to err on the side of believing that a majority of the NFL office wanted a Mahomes win. They got it. Whatever other inferences anyone wants to draw from that...well, that's up to each person.

Astros isn’t tainted getting signs like that ain’t a big deal getting carried by the refs through the playoffs is another story these fools literally got 6 downs vs Cincinnati

While I am sympathetic to an argument that KC was carried to a Super Bowl, getting signs of upcoming pitches is a huge deal. The Chiefs had the benefit of six calls against Cincinnati. Houston got somewhere in the neighborhood of 100+ unfair advantages in each game. The MLB, unlike the kindergarten cesspool that is the NFL front office, exercised discretion and clearly put a gag order on the whole thing in the media. That doesn't make it a lesser offense. In fact, it likely speaks to the fact that it was probably a much larger deal than has yet been explored.

Absolutely, I don't really get why we are dumping on KC, I mean what we did for 2 decades will never be replicated, it just won't!!! KC has 2 Superbowls.. we have 6,

Right now instead of worrying about KC we need to turn our attention as fans to the off- season.. all eyes are on the organization to see if they will be as committed as they appear to get back into a contender.. anything can happen year to year with a team..

Because the AFCCG and the superbowl both had some really shady **** that made their whole playoff run feel like that had a the refs tilting the balance.

Reid did his time and deserves the success he has had. He hit on mahomes and has continually innovated on offense. He's been through tough times and continues to succeed. They're the dynasty of this decade

This is hardly the first Super Bowl to have a slippery field. I don't know WTF the League is doing wrong, but it is a consistent problem.
They spent 2 years and $800,000 preparing the field for this game and it was terrible, that's the NFL.

I like Kansas City. I like Andy Reid. I like Patrick Mahomes. It is easy to like a team that has never beaten you in a big game. And I love BBQ.

I hate Philadelphia. I hate the city. I hate their fans. I hate Lane Johnson. The only time I have ever been legitimately frightened at a football game was at the end of Super Bowl 39. Philly beat NE in a pretty big game once. And I hate cheesesteak.

Having said that, Philly got royally screwed last night, pure and simple. Yes, KC out played Philly in the 2nd half - and Philly outplayed KC in the first half. It created a situation where one single bad call could easily determine the outcome and sure enough that's what happened.

I am not going to lose any sleep over it - and part of me enjoys it - but Philly got screwed.
I agree with all you said, hate Philly and their fans and cesspool city but disagree on the cheesesteaks, the only good thing from Philly. That said they got jobbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes