PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Gilmore on ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why so many sensitive posters here? ************

Gilmore was bad last year. Ask anyone.

It was a head scratching signing.. and so far, a bad one.

BUT BILLS NEVAH WRONG, CALL ME WHEN YOU WIN 5 SUPAH BOWLS

He wasn't bad last year. He was "bad" during the first half of last year in a new system under a new DC and a new HC. By the end of last season he was ranked as one of the top CB's in the league.

He wasn't bad last year. He was "bad" during the first half of last year in a new system under a new DC and a new HC. By the end of last season he was ranked as one of the top CB's in the league.
By whom?

Why Bills CB Stephon Gilmore wasn't as bad as you thought in 2016

From Weeks 11-16, Gilmore allowed 15 receptions on 28 targets for 183 yards and a touchdown while recording three interceptions, per PFF. Gilmore played like the shutdown cornerback everyone expected him to be during that span.

Top 10 NFL cornerbacks set to hit free agency | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

1. STEPHON GILMORE, BUFFALO BILLS (73.2 OVERALL GRADE IN 2016 SEASON)
Among this year’s cornerback class, Gilmore is the closest thing there is to a sure thing. As a rookie, he was the Bills’ starting right cornerback in Week 1.

Where Patriots’ Malcolm Butler, Stephon Gilmore Rank Among Top Cornerback Tandems

Gilmore was a Pro Bowl selection in 2016 and signed a five-year, $65 million contract with the Patriots this offseason.

Read more at: Where Patriots’ Malcolm Butler, Stephon Gilmore Rank Among Top Cornerback Tandems

Last edited:
Tough crowd here. Sorry for the inadvertent double post. The smart phone does its own thing sometimes. I would like to say I am disappointed in Gilmore since he has missed 3-games this season so far. If he can't see the field he can't help this team win.

That being said he has a few chances at redemption. Shutting down Sanders in 2-weeks would be a great start.

Tough crowd here. Sorry for the inadvertent double post. The smart phone does its own thing sometimes. I would like to say I am disappointed in Gilmore since he has missed 3-games this season so far. If he can't see the field he can't help this team win.

That being said he has a few chances at redemption. Shutting down Sanders in 2-weeks would be a great start.
You are disappointed in him for getting concussed an being kept out of play because of the league concussion medical protocol?
Are you disappointed in Edelman for blowing out his knee?

If we get anyone else from buffalo. I vote they be quarantined for one year

Well the Pats have given both Rowe and Gilmore another two weeks off, so both should be good to go after the bye. The Rowe injury assures that he will not even come close to playing in more than 50% of the Pats defensive snaps this year (the trigger that would have escalated the compensation for him from a 4th rd pick in 2018 to a 3rd rounder).

Most teams will not rush a player back in the game before a bye. It just makes too much sense to let them heal for another two full weeks.

As for the premise of this thread, Gilmore is not going anywhere, aside from the ridiculous cap ramifications, I would say give the guy more than 5 games in the Pats system, before you dump him.

Shutting down Sanders in 2-weeks would be a great start.

Gilmore would get Thomas in that game. Last time he faced him, held him to 2 rec for 11 yards and had an INT.

And that was during a stretch where Thomas was getting 100 yards a week almost, Here were Thomas games prior to and after

Last edited:

Gilmore won't be shutting down Sanders, or Thomas for that matter, in 2 weeks. He won't need to.

Here's the one man who will be shutting both of them down with a single hand:

i

Last edited by a moderator:
Belichick decided to open up and give full disclosure on the issues with Gilmore....
Bill Belichick explains decision to make Stephon Gilmore inactive vs. Chargers

“Well, we listed him on the injury report the way we always do," he said. "We make those designations on Friday and then based on where things are on Sunday then we make that determination. I think when he’s ready and able to play and able to do everything I’m sure he will be able to help us. We’re working towards that point. We’re getting closer.”

Well the Pats have given both Rowe and Gilmore another two weeks off, so both should be good to go after the bye. The Rowe injury assures that he will not even come close to playing in more than 50% of the Pats defensive snaps this year (the trigger that would have escalated the compensation for him from a 4th rd pick in 2018 to a 3rd rounder).

Most teams will not rush a player back in the game before a bye. It just makes too much sense to let them heal for another two full weeks.

As for the premise of this thread, Gilmore is not going anywhere, aside from the ridiculous cap ramifications, I would say give the guy more than 5 games in the Pats system, before you dump him.

"RIDCULOUS CAP IMPLICATIONS)
The contract someone else would acquire would include $10.75M guaranteed (including $2.25M this year). His salaries are $8.5, $9.5, $10.5 and $11.5). So this end up being a contract of $10.75 for a year and a half, with team options for 3 years thereafter).

If Gilmore is healthy, this is NOT a ridiculous cap implication for the patriots or the acquiring team. $10M a year is no longer shutdown corner money. One could argue that this is #2 corner money.

Of course patsfans posters believe that Belichick paid $31M guaranteed for a washed up corner with no value as a #2.
=====
BOTTOM LINE

1) Players get injured. If the concussion was a minor one, the Gilmore has considerable value. And yes, the team was right to give him time to recover and spend more time with coaches.

2) No one is likely trade for Gilmore unless they seem him healthy. The time to trade him (if we wish to) is in the offseason.

3) Playing Gilmore for the rest of the year MIGHT establish value for the future to the patriots or to another team. It seems unlikely that Gilmore isn't worth his roster spot for the rest of the year. Although, IF ROWE is healthy, we will have a considerable increase in players available. Patricia's game plans have to the potential of being much different with FIVE corners available.

"RIDCULOUS CAP IMPLICATIONS)
The contract someone else would acquire would include $10.75M guaranteed (including $2.25M this year). His salaries are $8.5, $9.5, $10.5 and $11.5). So this end up being a contract of $10.75 for a year and a half, with team options for 3 years thereafter).

If Gilmore is healthy, this is NOT a ridiculous cap implication for the patriots or the acquiring team. $10M a year is no longer shutdown corner money. One could argue that this is #2 corner money.

Of course patsfans posters believe that Belichick paid $31M guaranteed for a washed up corner with no value as a #2.
=====
BOTTOM LINE

1) Players get injured. If the concussion was a minor one, the Gilmore has considerable value. And yes, the team was right to give him time to recover and spend more time with coaches.

2) No one is likely trade for Gilmore unless they seem him healthy. The time to trade him (if we wish to) is in the offseason.

3) Playing Gilmore for the rest of the year MIGHT establish value for the future to the patriots or to another team. It seems unlikely that Gilmore isn't worth his roster spot for the rest of the year. Although, IF ROWE is healthy, we will have a considerable increase in players available. Patricia's game plans have to the potential of being much different with FIVE corners available.

His salary would go with him, his $18 million dollar signing bonus would not. If the Pats traded Gillmore today they would have $18,000,000 in dead Money and it would ADD another $9,431, 250 to the Pats 2017 salary cap (which currently has around 4.4 million in cap space), so you would have to cut another 5 million of cap space just to trade him!

New England Patriots Salary Cap Calculator | Over The Cap

My bad. I forgot the amortization of the signing bonus.

His salary would go with him, his $18 million dollar signing bonus would not. If the Pats traded Gillmore today they would have $18,000,000 in dead Money and it would ADD another $9,431, 250 to the Pats 2017 salary cap (which currently has around 4.4 million in cap space), so you would have to cut another 5 million of cap space just to trade him!

New England Patriots Salary Cap Calculator | Over The Cap

No problems, it's not like you killed a guy, like Ray Lewis did:p

Obviously, we'll reconsider after the season. It would seem that the team would be on the hook for $14.4M, not really much of a cap hit compared to keeping him. Belichick has to decide whether he is worth $9M of new money for 2018. It would seem that this "guaranteed" $9M would be avoidable with a trade.

Last edited:
I dunno why people find this so weird, if you guarantee a guy $40M, and he's experiencing concussion symptoms, and your bye is next week, it's pretty reasonable to hold him out another week to make sure you don't Luke Kuechly-ify his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back