PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Danny Amendola the next domino to fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, If anyone actually comes out and says so, should be sent to Willy Wonkas chocolate factory for tests.

You should have been here in September of 2014 they wanted Brady to be traded, Belichick fired, and claimed the team was a train wreck of epic proportions. They will deny it now but go back about 180 pages and you will see it in Technicolor.

You should have been here in September of 2014 they wanted Brady to be traded, Belichick fired, and claimed the team was a train wreck of epic proportions. They will deny it now but go back about 180 pages and you will see it in Technicolor.

I've found that when I revisit those kind of threads it usually isn't as bad as I thought it was.

I don't like it when either side decides that they don't want to honor the contract they signed. If the player is worried that the team might dump him later then get the money up front.

As for Mevis, I can't respect a man who signs a front end loaded deal, pockets the cash and then whines about it a year or two later when his salary is lower.

I hear you.....there is nothing worse than when negotiations are done in good faith and one side decides that the arrangement no longer works for them. The issue is that is acceptable policy and practice in the NFL.

If the NFL/NFLPA agreed to structure deals like the NHL, NBA and MLB (guaranteed for the life of the contract) we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I've found that when I revisit those kind of threads it usually isn't as bad as I thought it was.

I find them Hilarious. I wish they weren't locked so some of the comments could be recalled. Batsh.t crazy.

Agree that the Hogan signing could indirectly assist in providing pressure DA to restructure. It's a little funny that the main reason DA is considered overpaid is that he was paid as if he was expected to step in Welkers shoes, which we all know didn't totally work out that way, but now everyone on the Cut Danny train is sounding completely sold that BB is right about Hogan and DA is therefore expendable even though the only other proven Brady-friendly WR is on the roster is Jules, who has played exactly 2 games with a screw in his foot.

Well, I don't consider myself on the "Cut Danny train" nor do I think Hogan is necessary better.
I am, however, on the Belichick Value Train: Danny's contributions are not worth a $5M salary and $6M cap hit. That's just basic team management economics, and recognizing that fundamental economic reality doesn't make someone dislike DA or "want" to cut him -- instead it makes you recognize that the value you get doesn't work for you from an economic standpoint. In fact, I think Danny has been incredibly clutch for us and has value, and I hope he stays -- with a significantly restructured deal.

The notion that Amendola would somehow be hard up for work is funny, but in reality he'd have 10 phone calls before you were finished typing your self-congratulatory told-ya-so post on this forum. Acting like he'll somehow be unemployed if he waits too long to restructure...come on.

Who said he would be unemployed? Not me. I only said the market isn't going up over time as free agency and the draft approach and pass, which is precisely what BB does time and time again. He helps create a financial environment for the player in which they have a reduced chance of meeting the price that the Patriots are offering in the free market. But, in any event, there is NO way that ANY team is paying DA $5M a year, given his history and production. He would be lucky to get a $10M / 3 yr deal. His market price is about $3M year - is there any legitimate dispute to that? If there isn't, then he is not priced properly right now.

And the Patriots would be worse as a team for having lost him, which you would think would be your primary concern as a fan.

Wrong. I am acting precisely like a Patriots fan: smart money management, buying low, selling high, finding value, long-term strategic team building vs. emotional, short-term "the window is closing!" thinking. Clinging to fan favorites at any cost is what other teams' fans do.

If he saves $4m by cutting DA only to sign Nate Washington for - what $3m? - then he's an idiot. The only thing Washington has on DA is that he's 2 inches taller. I absolutely wouldn't be surprised that BB seeks to lower/alter DA's contract to redirect the money somewhere else it's needed - with the way FA has gone so far I don't see what they "need" that money for and cutting his pay in a vaccuum, essentially for the sake of cutting it, doesn't seem logical.

Then thank goodness you aren't running this team's personnel decisions.

How does anyone know that DA won't be worth the money he'll be making this year? If Edelman doesn't return to form DA could be worth every penny. He could also have his best year.

It's not okay to pay a player for what he's done and it's not okay to pay a player for what he might do. That's a two way street that's running downhill for the team (uphill for the player) both ways.

How does anyone know that DA won't be worth the money he'll be making this year? If Edelman doesn't return to form DA could be worth every penny. He could also have his best year.

It's not okay to pay a player for what he's done and it's not okay to pay a player for what he might do. That's a two way street that's running downhill for the team (uphill for the player) both ways.
Lots of factors are considered when determining value.

The $6.8m for 2016 was based on his projection as a WW replacement and the market value he had in 2013. He has not performed to that level. In addition the $ for WRs who have 50 catches and are 30 years old is also a specific value in 2016.

It is possible that DA will have a 90/1200 season and earn $6.8m but because of other players in the offense. His age and rate of production and the teams cap situation his salary needs to be cut in 1/2.

The $6.8m for 2016 was based on his projection as a WW replacement and the market value he had in 2013. He has not performed to that level. In addition the $ for WRs who have 50 catches and are 30 years old is also a specific value in 2016.

It is possible that DA will have a 90/1200 season and earn $6.8m but because of other players in the offense. His age and rate of production and the teams cap situation his salary needs to be cut in 1/2.

Since he agreed to a restructure only a year ago he might be reluctant to do so again. I think he will, but if he doesn't I'll understand.

Since he agreed to a restructure only a year ago he might be reluctant to do so again. I think he will, but if he doesn't I'll understand.
I agree.

I'm under the belief that DA, his agent and the team all knew this was coming. Just like VW last year.

I believe the right # for DA here is ~$3m in cash in 2016. That's in line with what the market is paying 30 year old WRs w 50 catches and are very good at STs. Hope he agrees.

after injury

KC@NE
Julian Edelman 10 100 0 receiving
Julian Edelman 1 11 11.0 0 rushing
(Keshawn Martin 2 57 0 receiving)
Danny Amendola 2 18 0 receiving

NE@DEN
J. Edelman 7 53 7.6 0 receiving
D. Amendola 5 39 7.8 0
K. Martin 0 0 0 0

so we can have some idea how Edelman is after injury and how things are on the field
with Bennett and Hogan added (and Lewis of course) the field is getting smaller for DA
(the great value in punt returns remains of course)

i love Danny and i would love him to stay
but being payed more than Julian is just wrong - no matter what's the story of the contract
He knows it, BB knows it, Julian knows it and I guess even DA agent knows it
(and i guess they also know his current market value by now - which is not important to me)

but i agree - no hurry in restructuring
theres enough love on all sides

Sanu, a guy who has broken 50 catches exactly once in his career, just signed a 32.5 million 5 year deal. Rishard Matthews, who has barely managed to make it to 40 catches in a season gets 3 years 15 million. You can't look at the value of a WR in the NFL and apply numbers that might have been correct 3 or 4 years ago.

Everybody keeps tossing around 3 million. I doubt you could sign a ham sandwich for 3 million.

Sanu, a guy who has broken 50 catches exactly once in his career, just signed a 32.5 million 5 year deal. Rishard Matthews, who has barely managed to make it to 40 catches in a season gets 3 years 15 million. You can't look at the value of a WR in the NFL and apply numbers that might have been correct 3 or 4 years ago.

Everybody keeps tossing around 3 million. I doubt you could sign a ham sandwich for 3 million.

Yes you can quite easily.

Both players you mention are 26. That is THE reason right there. The NFL is ok paying large signing bonuses up front for players in their 20s.

The NFL is not ok paying large signing bonuses or $6-$7m a year for a player who has not been all that durable or consistently productive who turns 31 in November.

Those guys are also 26-27 years old as well as black and 6-1,6-2. Those types are just seen as having much bigger upside than Danny. He is who he is at this point.

I don't know how anyone can dispute this.... no one is denying Danny's contributions to this team, but he has to realize how drastically overpaid he is, given his status as the #3 or #4 WR.

Amendola took a significant pay cut last season and saw Sanu get 7 million per and Chris Hogan 4 a year with 5.5 this season, I doubt he sits around thinking about how overpaid he is. Edelman isn't a baseline because he's grossly underpaid. The savings on Amendola would be around 4 million if he were to be cut, and it would cost at least 3 million to get any decent replacement if they could even find one now, so they would be getting rid of a good all around player who contributes on all four downs and is on the same page as Brady just to save about a million dollars, which gets you a bag of dirt in today's NFL. Everyone would like to see Amendola redo his deal but getting rid of him for a small savings makes no sense when the team is gearing up for a serious run at a Lombardi this season. If they draft a really good receiving prospect and the unit is strong enough to lose him without a serious drop off and can use the money to sign one of their major free agents then it would make some sense but cutting him now doesn't.

Last edited:

Yeah that's complete BS. 90/1200 gets paid close to double that amount in this market. Amendola is proved in the Pats system. Cutting him for 4M, replace him with someone for 3M, only for that someone to fail to connect with Brady, would be so stupid. Cutting a proven player (in the playoffs no less) for an unknown, just to save 1M, which is very close to nothing in this market, is so stupid.

Yeah that's complete BS. 90/1200 gets paid close to double that amount in this market. Amendola is proved in the Pats system. Cutting him for 4M, replace him with someone for 3M, only for that someone to fail to connect with Brady, would be so stupid. Cutting a proven player (in the playoffs no less) for an unknown, just to save 1M, which is very close to nothing in this market, is so stupid.
So keeping him at a $6.8m cap number is reasonable? What do you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes