PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Danny Amendola the next domino to fall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially when, in less games apparently Edelman has more yards, receptions, and TD's..

And im a Amendola guy 2..
Few would argue Edelman's talent, but we also know Edelman has played 16 games once in 7 seasons and is recovering from an injury that can be chronic and that some never fully recover from. Amendola has his own injury concerns of course.

The Patriots are not the only NFL team that as they get older asks players to take pay cuts .
Thats fanboyish talk. You are better than that.

I'd actually like to see the data on how often each teams ask vets to redo contracts that they originally signed with that team, and that result in less income for the player.

Few would argue Edelman's talent, but we also know Edelman has played 16 games once in 7 seasons and is recovering from an injury that can be chronic and that some never fully recover from. Amendola has his own injury concerns of course.

I agree. Both Edelman and Amendola's injury history are concerns.

I want Amenbrola back but not at his hit. He's a quality player but not what the team expected him to be.

I'd actually like to see the data on how often each teams ask vets to redo contracts that they originally signed with that team, and that result in less income for the player.

Me too but it does happen.

Manning is an example from last year.

Happened to Vince a couple of years ago.

You could argue that Brady took one in 2013 but I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Mankins refused and was sent packing.

It generally leads to idiotic takes because they are trying to play GM with a fraction of the knowledge necessary to actually be one, and in this forum we have had many who actually think they can do a better job than Belichick and some who actually claim they can.

lol, If anyone actually comes out and says so, should be sent to Willy Wonkas chocolate factory for tests.

Played in all 3 postseason games. 14+3 = 17....

And really he only missed 1 game in 2014 because that Buffalo game was a throwaway game.

you switched your picture!!

Played in all 3 postseason games. 14+3 = 17....

And really he only missed 1 game in 2014 because that Buffalo game was a throwaway game.
And he played in 2015 playoffs but was ineffective due to injury.

Don't know how this got to a Edelman v Amendola discussion now. Edelman is top 5 WR don't you know.

I want Amenbrola back but not at his hit. He's a quality player but not what the team expected him to be.
Why does that matter? If they aren't using the money to otherwise improve the team, why wouldn't you want to keep the quality player?

The cap has gone up $32m since 2013 when the original Amendola contract was signed. That's after the cap was relatively static for the previous 4-5 seasons (ranging from $116-123m). So some of the conditions that applied to the back end years of other players contracts are somewhat mitigated here - the Patriots aren't up against the cap and failing to field a whole team, they have like $13m in space yet. That's besides some of us needing to adjust our preconceived norms of what a player is worth given the spiking cap number.

Me too but it does happen.

Yeah, I didn't intend to imply that I think it doesn't happen much. I have no idea, outside of NE, how often it happens.

I don't know how anyone can dispute this.... no one is denying Danny's contributions to this team, but he has to realize how drastically overpaid he is, given his status as the #3 or #4 WR.

Yeah, I didn't intend to imply that I think it doesn't happen much. I have no idea, outside of NE, how often it happens.

I didn't take it that way. Just trying to fill the gaps for you.

IMO NFL contracts aren't worth the ink they are used to write on. Teams can rip them up anytime they want. Players really have no leverage unless they are willing to hold out.

For example, if Gronk had a little Revis in him he could absolutely hold out next year and force the team to redo his deal......and I wouldn't blame him one bit for doing so.

I don't know how anyone can dispute this.... no one is denying Danny's contributions to this team, but he has to realize how drastically overpaid he is, given his status as the #3 or #4 WR.

I think folks need to look at Amendola as the complete player beyond just as a receiver. He can return kicks. He led the league in PR average. He plays on STs. Hes not a rock star receiver but his value is felt throughout the various units and packages the team uses on gameday.

Is the worth the $6.8m cap figure? Of course not. For a player who can give you 50 catches that TB12 trusts and give you excellent special teams play it's reasonable to pay him ~$3m in 2016 (IMO)

I like your post but I cannot believe your questioning Edelman over Amendola lol

That was in response to your "what have you done for me lately" post about Amendola. I wasn't questioning either guy.

I didn't take it that way. Just trying to fill the gaps for you.

IMO NFL contracts aren't worth the ink they are used to write on. Teams can rip them up anytime they want. Players really have no leverage unless they are willing to hold out.

For example, if Gronk had a little Revis in him he could absolutely hold out next year and force the team to redo his deal......and I wouldn't blame him one bit for doing so.

I don't like it when either side decides that they don't want to honor the contract they signed. If the player is worried that the team might dump him later then get the money up front.

As for Mevis, I can't respect a man who signs a front end loaded deal, pockets the cash and then whines about it a year or two later when his salary is lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes