PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Incredibly early and not relevant 53 man roster

Where I have them...

OFFENSE
QB – Mac Jones, Bailey Zappe, Bryan Hoyer (PS)
OT – Trent Brown, Isaiah Wynn, Arlington Hambright (PS), Justin Herron (PS),
OG – Michael Onwenu, Cole Strange, Drew Desjarlais,
C – David Andrews, Kody Russey,
TE – Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene,
RB – Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, James White (I), Pierre Strong, Ty Montgomery, Kevin Harris (I), JJ Taylor (PS),
WR – DeVante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Kristian Wilkerson, Kendrick Bourne, Tyquan Thornton, Jakobi Meyers, Tre Nixon (PS),

DEFENSE
DT – Christian Barmore, Lawrence Guy, Carl Davis, Davon Godchaux
DE – Deatrich Wise, Sam Roberts,
SLB – Matthew Judon, Anfernee Jennings,
MLB – Ja’Whaun Bentley, Josh Uche, LaRoy Reynolds,
WLB – Cameron McGrone, Raekwon McMillan, Mack Wilson,
SS – Kyle Dugger, Adrian Phillips, Jabrill Peppers, JoeJuan Williams, Cody Davis, Brenden Schooler (PS),
FS – Devin McCourty, Sean Davis, Joshuah Bledsoe (PS),
CB – Jalen Mills, Terrance Mitchell, Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones, Shaun Wade, Jack Jones (PS),

SPECIAL TEAMS
K – Nick Folk,
P – Jake Bailey,
LS – Joe Cardona
GUN – Matt Slater, Justin Bethel

Where I have them...

OFFENSE
RB – Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, James White (I), Pierre Strong, Ty Montgomery, Kevin Harris (I), JJ Taylor (PS),
WR – DeVante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Kristian Wilkerson, Kendrick Bourne, Tyquan Thornton, Jakobi Meyers, Tre Nixon (PS),

DEFENSE
SS – Kyle Dugger, Adrian Phillips, Jabrill Peppers, JoeJuan Williams, Cody Davis, Brenden Schooler (PS),
CB – Jalen Mills, Terrance Mitchell, Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones, Shaun Wade, Jack Jones (PS),

SPECIAL TEAMS
K – Nick Folk,
P – Jake Bailey,
LS – Joe Cardona
IMO Russey WILL make the 53 and be ready to start in 2023 if needed.

enough for what?

Enough for...winning?

We still need:
- an Outside WR as good as nearly All of Mac's competition for the AFC POs now has;
- somebody to emerge as Mac's safety blanket in the Slot... There really wasn't enough room here for Slade Bolden to at least be given a look?
- unless the Canadian kid is the real deal, then a better backup LG than Arlington Station Hambone or Billy should've been Trey Smith my boy Sherman;
- a better LT than Wynn/Lose; and a better backup LT than Justin Herron or Yawndy Cachoo.

Last edited:
Enough for...winning?

We still need:
- an Outside WR as good as nearly All of Mac's competition for the AFC POs now has;
- somebody to emerge as Mac's safety blanket in the Slot... There really wasn't enough room here for Slade Bolden to at least be given a look?
- unless the Canadian kid is the real deal, then a better backup LG than Arlington Station Hambone or Billy should've been Trey Smith my boy Sherman;
- a better LT than Wynn/Lose; and a better backup LT than Justin Herron or Yawndy Cachoo.
Obviously you confuse needs wants with needs, but I guess that is another issue.
==========================
Is English your second language, or was I that unclear.

Winning what?
the same number of games as last year [how many games do you think that the team has regressed since last year]
the division? one playoff game?
the conference?
the Super Bowl?
===============
Yes, we always WANT upgrades. Almost every position could use an upgrade.

As far as NEED, I would think that a veteran lineman (or two or three) is a need, although others seem to disagree, and think that UDFA's are ready to step in and be counted upon. Belichick may be willing to wait until late in camp to decided how much resources to spend for that veteran. Much will depend on the progress of the youngsters, including Strange.

As far as WR, Belichick saw the need and added Parker and Thornton. Your disagreement with staff doesn't make WR a need. We carry 4 and we have 5.
================
Everyone wants better. However, I strongly disagree with those who think that this team is 3 or MORE games worse than the 2021 team.
==========
AS YOU WELL KNOW, there will be 2 or more players on the Game 2 roster who are not now on the team, and may even be a significant (3rd rounder or more) trade after that

[confused guy emoji]
Teams need to have 8 OLs active (counting any elevations from the PS) to have the full game-day roster of 48 players. If they go with 7 or fewer for whatever reason, they only get to dress 47.

More proof you just say things with zero fact checking.

Russey's 5.11 forty is "good" among offensive linemen, so was his 30" vertical leap, his 4.52 shuttle was "excellent," he was also one of the strongest guys in the entire draft class having benched it 38 times. Every measurable was better than David Andrews exiting college and he was 6 pounds heavier.

But don't let facts slow you down.

I hope he's fantastic. This is reflective of the reviews I read after they drafted him. Where are you a thorough eval of him?

Strengths​

• Gets everything out of his adequate size and frame with good length. Added bulk to his frame and flashes functional strength to get a good push in the run game.
  • Feisty, tough and plays with a competitive attitude.
  • Finishes and doesn't quit; competitor with a positive attitude and leadership traits that coaches admire.
  • Fundamentally sound and understands blocking angles, using body positioning to his advantage. Disciplined awareness and good intelligence.
  • Anchors against larger defenders in the middle; resets hands to maintain distance. Athletic enough to help on nose tackle then pick up twist or late blitzer. Mirrors quick interior rushers. Looks to help the center when uncovered.

Weaknesses​

• Not explosive in any aspect. Lacks the quickness to redirect and handle cut blocks. Unable to complete most combo blocks. Gets an initial shove at the line but doesn't move the second target. Poor body control and lacks accuracy blocking on the move.
  • Lacks lateral agility, flexibility and footwork to start on the outside in the NFL.
  • Not a natural knee-bender and gets too upright. Needs to play with better leverage and stay balanced through contact.
  • Very raw technique, playing with inconsistent hand placement fails to sustain blocks.
  • Struggles to get low enough to maintain leverage. Won't be able to cut more agile NFL linemen because he's not sudden and gathers before lunging.

Where I have them...

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

SPECIAL TEAMS
K – Nick Folk,
P – Jake Bailey,
LS – Joe Cardona

Slowjuan over schooler?

Where I have them...

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

SPECIAL TEAMS
K – Nick Folk,
P – Jake Bailey,
LS – Joe Cardona
I guess I don't like this 53 very much...

OFFENSE
QB – Mac Jones, Bailey Zappe, Bryan Hoyer (PS) I have Hoyer making the 53 but it's ok if he's on PS
OT – Trent Brown, Isaiah Wynn, Arlington Hambright (PS), Justin Herron (PS), I think there should be another OT. I get some of the G's can play OT but it's still lite. Both Heron and Cajuste played ok at LT...not so much at RT. I think one or both make it.
OG – Michael Onwenu, Cole Strange, Drew Desjarlais, This is ok
C – David Andrews, Kody Russey, This is ok
TE – Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene, IMO Asiasi or Keene don't make the 53...too little production from both of them. I'm picking Keene because he is good at h-back / fullback
RB – Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, James White (I), Pierre Strong, Ty Montgomery, Kevin Harris (I), JJ Taylor (PS), I think White starts on PUP
WR – DeVante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Kristian Wilkerson, Kendrick Bourne, Tyquan Thornton, Jakobi Meyers, Tre Nixon (PS), Including Slater that makes 7...too many IMO. Sadly I think Wilkerson may not make it.

DEFENSE
DT – Christian Barmore, Lawrence Guy, Carl Davis, Davon Godchaux Not happy about it but it's ok
DE – Deatrich Wise, Sam Roberts, I think Flowers is coming and Roberts to PS
SLB – Matthew Judon, Anfernee Jennings, Raekwon McMillan and Mack Wilson will be on the 53, Jennings and Reynolds maybe not
SS – Kyle Dugger, Adrian Phillips, Jabrill Peppers, JoeJuan Williams, Cody Davis, Brenden Schooler (PS), Goodbye JoeJuan
FS – Devin McCourty, Sean Davis, Joshuah Bledsoe (PS), Sean Davis???
CB – Jalen Mills, Terrance Mitchell, Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones, Shaun Wade, Jack Jones (PS), Touch choices here but I am going with Jack Jones over Wade

SPECIAL TEAMS
K – Nick Folk,
P – Jake Bailey,
LS – Joe Cardona
GUN – Matt Slater, Justin Bethel One of the Jones' will replace Bethel IMO

I guess I don't like this 53 very much...

OFFENSE
QB – Mac Jones, Bailey Zappe, Bryan Hoyer (PS) I have Hoyer making the 53 but it's ok if he's on PS
They have protected PS spots which is where Hoyer will end up. On the team but inactive assuming Zappe looks competent, even if it takes a few weeks.
OT – Trent Brown, Isaiah Wynn, Arlington Hambright (PS), Justin Herron (PS), I think there should be another OT. I get some of the G's can play OT but it's still lite. Both Heron and Cajuste played ok at LT...not so much at RT. I think one or both make it.
I kept Herron and Hambright on there but crossed them off because because I think it’s highly likely Herron makes the roster. That being said they’re really deep along the interior and Onwenu might be the first player moved outside if Trent Brown gets hurt.
OG – Michael Onwenu, Cole Strange, Drew Desjarlais, This is ok

C – David Andrews, Kody Russey, This is ok
TE – Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene, IMO Asiasi or Keene don't make the 53...too little production from both of them. I'm picking Keene because he is good at h-back / fullback
I have all 4 making the roster assuming health. If healthy Jonnu will be your FB/HBack and Henry your inline TE… so we may see three of them on the field at a given time. Before Develin they didn’t roster a FB, they rostered 4 TE’s instead.
RB – Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, James White (I), Pierre Strong, Ty Montgomery, Kevin Harris (I), JJ Taylor (PS), I think White starts on PUP
Possibly, but he just got cleared for on field activities. RB’s take a beating, let’s see who exits preseason healthy. Also Harris’s contract situation has to be considered. They drafted two really good prospects.
WR – DeVante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Kristian Wilkerson, Kendrick Bourne, Tyquan Thornton, Jakobi Meyers, Tre Nixon (PS), Including Slater that makes 7...too many IMO. Sadly I think Wilkerson may not make it.
Jakobi is in a contract year, so is Agholor… this may end with a trade.
DEFENSE
DT – Christian Barmore, Lawrence Guy, Carl Davis, Davon Godchaux Not happy about it but it's ok
IMO it’s a good group and if Robert’s is better than we hope they may have a good group.
DE – Deatrich Wise, Sam Roberts, I think Flowers is coming and Roberts to PS
We’ll see, they’re nearing 90 players.
SLB – Matthew Judon, Anfernee Jennings, Raekwon McMillan and Mack Wilson will be on the 53, Jennings and Reynolds maybe not
We’ll see about McMillan and Wilson, neither is a great athlete even if they came from big programs in college… neither has made an impact as pros. I wouldn’t sleep on Jennings, he had a redshirt year to get right and was a very good player on college when healthy. Reynolds is a special teams ace, I wouldn’t write him off.
SS – Kyle Dugger, Adrian Phillips, Jabrill Peppers, JoeJuan Williams, Cody Davis, Brenden Schooler (PS), Goodbye JoeJuan
Possibly… Schooler and the guys I crossed off were the hardest cuts I had to make.
FS – Devin McCourty, Sean Davis, Joshuah Bledsoe (PS), Sean Davis???
Speed, experience, he could also make the PS.
CB – Jalen Mills, Terrance Mitchell, Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones, Shaun Wade, Jack Jones (PS), Touch choices here but I am going with Jack Jones over Wade
Jack Jones is weak, he needs a year in the weight program.
SPECIAL TEAMS
K – Nick Folk,
P – Jake Bailey,
LS – Joe Cardona
GUN – Matt Slater, Justin Bethel One of the Jones' will replace Bethel IMO
Bethel is among the best gunners in the league, I think he’s a lock unless a young guy like Schooler really impresses.

They have protected PS spots which is where Hoyer will end up. On the team but inactive assuming Zappe looks competent, even if it takes a few weeks.

I kept Herron and Hambright on there but crossed them off because because I think it’s highly likely Herron makes the roster. That being said they’re really deep along the interior and Onwenu might be the first player moved outside if Trent Brown gets hurt.

I have all 4 making the roster assuming health. If healthy Jonnu will be your FB/HBack and Henry your inline TE… so we may see three of them on the field at a given time. Before Develin they didn’t roster a FB, they rostered 4 TE’s instead.

Possibly, but he just got cleared for on field activities. RB’s take a beating, let’s see who exits preseason healthy. Also Harris’s contract situation has to be considered. They drafted two really good prospects.

I would be shocked if White is not on PUP to start the year.

Jakobi is in a contract year, so is Agholor… this may end with a trade.

If the Pats had hopes for Agholor, Nixon, or Wilkerson, we would not have traded for Parker and used a R2 pick on Thornton. Those 3 guys days are numbered.

IMO it’s a good group and if Robert’s is better than we hope they may have a good group.

I hope you are right. With 4 man fronts made they are OK. Still would love Hicks and Flowers on 2 year deals.

We’ll see, they’re nearing 90 players.

Only 86 or 87 I think.

We’ll see about McMillan and Wilson, neither is a great athlete even if they came from big programs in college… neither has made an impact as pros. I wouldn’t sleep on Jennings, he had a redshirt year to get right and was a very good player on college when healthy. Reynolds is a special teams ace, I wouldn’t write him off.

Possibly… Schooler and the guys I crossed off were the hardest cuts I had to make.

Speed, experience, he could also make the PS.

Don't agree. Very natural athlete. Will impress.

Bethel is among the best gunners in the league, I think he’s a lock unless a young guy like Schooler really impresses.

Agreed

Last edited:
Looks like Hoyer may be on the 53 per FreeTedWilliams....see above
I think McMillan and Wilson ARE athletic and one of the reasons they were signed
Ok
I'm not big on too many ST only players but he is a good one...Ok

Maybe I missed it but I’m not sure Sean Davis is on the team.

Last edited:
I would be shocked if White is not on PUP to start the year.
I thought so as well but read he was cleared by the doctors right as I was responding to you.
If the Pats had hopes for Agholor, Nixon, or Wilkerson, we would not have traded for Parker and used a R2 pick on Thornton. Those 3 guys days are numbered.
Like I said… Agholor, Meyers, Harry and Slater are all free agents after this year. Harry is already gone. You can determine who a team will draft by looking at their list of free agents for the subsequent season.
I hope you are right. With 4 man fronts made they are OK. Still would love Hicks and Flowers on 2 year deals.
I’d like both of those guys on short incentive based deals, that being said we have a solid DT unit.
Don't agree. Very natural athlete. Will impress.
Jack Jones benched it 11 times, about as much as my little sister. He is a 4.5 forty guy. He weighs 177 pounds. His agility is great but me calling him “weak” is based off combine measurables, not his college production. I always leave room for the fact I may be wrong.

Looks like Hoyer may be on the 53 per FreeTedWilliams....see above
They cut Hoyer in favor of Jarrett Stidham two years ago, he was on their protected practice squad last year… they’re not afraid of cutting Hoyer. A lot of these contracts are dependent on said player making the 53 man roster exiting camp.
I think McMillan and Wilson ARE athletic and one of the reasons they were signed
Reclamation projects, good instincts and experience but not very athletic.
Maybe I missed it but I’m not sure Sean Davis is on the team.
I thought he was still on the roster but it looks like I was wrong. I could see another safety sliding on the roster instead… perhaps Schooler.

Jack Jones benched it 11 times, about as much as my little sister. He is a 4.5 forty guy. He weighs 177 pounds. His agility is great but me calling him “weak” is based off combine measurables, not his college production. I always leave room for the fact I may be wrong.

Not the strongest guy - I agree. Very quick and explosive. With a 4th round pick there is going to be a blemish.

Ran a 4.4 at his Pro Day, but that might be hand timed which usually equates to a 4.5 computer time. The Pats scouting department really liked him, Herm Edwards said the most athletic CB he has coached (yeah I know it is Herm). 4th round pick and we need an outside CB. Jalen Mills ran a 4.61 40 at the combine, BTW.

Not the strongest guy - I agree. Very quick and explosive. With a 4th round pick there is going to be a blemish.

Ran a 4.4 at his Pro Day, but that might be hand timed which usually equates to a 4.5 computer time. The Pats scouting department really liked him, Herm Edwards said the most athletic CB he has coached (yeah I know it is Herm). 4th round pick and we need an outside CB. Jalen Mills ran a 4.61 40 at the combine, BTW.
Draftscout put him down for a 4.5 forty at his pro day which matched his combine time.

At 5-11 177 pounds I only see him in the slot and unfortunately Jon Jones and Marcus Jones are better athletes. I think with a red shirt year he could get stronger. I see a case of “Foxboro flu” in his future, Jon Jones will be a free agent after this year.

Protected PS members are designated on a week by week basis. It just means a protected player can’t sign with another team after 4 PM Tuesday for the rest of the week. The provision can not stop a PS member from signing with another team after the previous week’s game up until 4 pm on Tuesday.

The Pats “protected” 4 players (the weekly max) late last season, but, other than that, I can’t remember them using the designation in the 2 seasons it’s been part of the CBA.

It’s not something that can be used to lock Brian Hoyer, James Ferentz or any other player onto the practice squad for longer than a week as has been intimidated in previous posts.

Looking at the pool of 85 or so players on the roster in more detail: Avg. Age: 26.9 (#4 oldest)

2021 Total Snaps: 27% had >500 snaps

>900: 9 players
700 to 900: 7 players
500 to 700: 7 players
300 to 500: 9 players
1 to 300: 22 players
0 snaps: 31 players

Using Zuma's depth chart: player (snaps).

QB: Mac (1124), Hoyer (40), Zappe (0)
RB: Harris (424), Rham (287), Strong (0), Montgomery (475)
WR: Parker (539), Agholor (757), Bourne (615), Meyers (993), Thornton (0)
TE: Smith (555), Henry (848), Asiasi (11), Keene (0)
C: Andrews (1149), Hines (0)
G: Onwenu (741), Strange (0), Desjarlais (0), Sherman (6), Ferentz (135)
T: Wynn (991), Brown (594), Cajuste (105)
DE: Wise (614),
DT: Guy (739), Barmore (667), Godchaux (750), Davis (281)
ILB: Bentley (744), McMillan (0), McGrone (0), Wilson (364)
OLB: Judon (1009), Uche (265), Jennings (0), Perkins (0)
CB: Butler (0), JJones (292), MJones (0), Mills (931), Wade (18)
SS: Dugger (908), Phillips (1068)
FS: McCourty (1121), Peppers (267)

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots