PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Incredibly early and not relevant 53 man roster

Looking at the pool of 85 or so players on the roster in more detail: Avg. Age: 26.9 (#4 oldest)

2021 Total Snaps: 27% had >500 snaps

>900: 9 players
700 to 900: 7 players
500 to 700: 7 players
300 to 500: 9 players
1 to 300: 22 players
0 snaps: 31 players

Using Zuma's depth chart: player (snaps).

QB: Mac (1124), Hoyer (40), Zappe (0)
RB: Harris (424), Rham (287), Strong (0), Montgomery (475)
WR: Parker (539), Agholor (757), Bourne (615), Meyers (993), Thornton (0)
TE: Smith (555), Henry (848), Asiasi (11), Keene (0)
C: Andrews (1149), Hines (0)
G: Onwenu (741), Strange (0), Desjarlais (0), Sherman (6), Ferentz (135)
T: Wynn (991), Brown (594), Cajuste (105)
DE: Wise (614),
DT: Guy (739), Barmore (667), Godchaux (750), Davis (281)
ILB: Bentley (744), McMillan (0), McGrone (0), Wilson (364)
OLB: Judon (1009), Uche (265), Jennings (0), Perkins (0)
CB: Butler (0), JJones (292), MJones (0), Mills (931), Wade (18)
SS: Dugger (908), Phillips (1068)
FS: McCourty (1121), Peppers (267)
Brain hurts reading this. Weird wild stuff. “ Avg. Age: 26.9 (#4 oldest)”….so at this moment the Pats have the 4th oldest team in the league?

...Maybe I missed it but I’m not sure Sean Davis is on the team.

He isn't; Shaun Wade is, and Cody Davis is, but not Sean Davis.

Also, LeRoy Reynolds is no longer in the building either, thankfully.

Pretty sure the implication is that the Patriots will sign him.
Is there any source that indicates this will be happening? Or is it more still assumption.

I really want it to happen. Makes too much sense to not happen.

Brain hurts reading this. Weird wild stuff. “ Avg. Age: 26.9 (#4 oldest)”….so at this moment the Pats have the 4th oldest team in the league?
Experience was a huge advantage in years gone by…especially within the system. IMO youth and speed has greater importance to team succeed then in previous years. They need to understand the plays and assignments but speed is a bigger deal then it used to be.

Experience was a huge advantage in years gone by…especially within the system. IMO youth and speed has greater importance to team succeed then in previous years. They need to understand the plays and assignments but speed is a bigger deal then it used to be.
Agree with this. My only concern is the lack of snaps by a whole slew of players, both starters and back-ups, on the D. It takes time to gel in this team, so while they gain experience on the field, there's liable to be communication issues, especially in September & October. The lack of snaps in the CB group is concerning. The OL depth is also concerning. The deepest group appears to be the safeties from both experience and talent.

Agree with this. My only concern is the lack of snaps by a whole slew of players, both starters and back-ups, on the D. It takes time to gel in this team, so while they gain experience on the field, there's liable to be communication issues, especially in September & October. The lack of snaps in the CB group is concerning. The OL depth is also concerning. The deepest group appears to be the safeties from both experience and talent.
And LB. It's young with an incredible amount of inexperience IMO. But I think that youth and speed is more important then in years gone by. I don't have to like it...it's just how the game has gone in recent years.

Lack of snaps...its a problem. In some miraculous way I'm hoping the young guys build a chemisrty in the off-season that carries on to the regular season. But for how the game is going...in the direction we are going in...I would rather roll with the younger inexpeienced LB's then older experienced guys that we all know can no longer get it done.

Not the strongest guy - I agree. Very quick and explosive. With a 4th round pick there is going to be a blemish.

Ran a 4.4 at his Pro Day, but that might be hand timed which usually equates to a 4.5 computer time. The Pats scouting department really liked him, Herm Edwards said the most athletic CB he has coached (yeah I know it is Herm). 4th round pick and we need an outside CB. Jalen Mills ran a 4.61 40 at the combine, BTW.

"Jones got a good deal of action with the defensive backs in 7-on-7s and team segments. Though the ball didn’t notably come his way, he looked smooth and confident in coverage every snap he was on the field. On top of that, he got plenty of special teams work at the end of practice, with Belichick even giving him some personal coaching at one point. Both his usage on defense and the fact that he’s already putting in work to latch on as a special teamer suggests Jones – a former five-star recruit at cornerback and an All-Pac 12 performer in college – could play a more meaningful role than expected going forward."

Do the patriots keep just two tight ends on the roster, knowing if they cut keane and assyassy, they could sign one or both to the practice squad.

Do the patriots keep just two tight ends on the roster, knowing if they cut keane and assyassy, they could sign one or both to the practice squad.
They’ll keep 4, health and progress provided. Pretend Jonnu is the FB now.

Last edited:
They’ll keep 4, health and progress provided. Pretend Jonnu is the FB now.

Keene can play FB too and provides a backup. Better to have a backup so a bunch of plays are not lost if Smith is injured. I agree they'll keep all 4. Whatever they are morphing into offensively has been years in the making so they have the proper personnel.

Just so there's no confusion, here's every player signed by the Patriots according to their website. There were other UDFA's in camp who haven't signed a deal that they were kicking the tires on.

PATS 2022 ROSTER (86 players)
OFFENSE (39)
QB (3) – Mac Jones, Bailey Zappe, Brian Hoyer,
OT (7) –Trent Brown, Isaiah Wynn, Michael Onwenu, Justin Herron, Yodny Cajuste, Yasir Durant, Andrew Stueber,
OG (4) – Cole Strange, Drew Desjarlais, Arlington Hambright, Will Sherman,
C (4) – David Andrews, Kody Russey, James Ferentz, Chasen Hines,
TE (5) – Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene, Matt Sokol,
RB (7) – Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, James White, Pierre Strong, Ty Montgomery, JJ Taylor, Kevin Harris,
WR (9) – DeVante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Jakobi Meyers, Kendrick Bourne, Kristian Wilkerson, Tre Nixon, Tyquan Thornton, N’Keal Harry, Malcolm Perry,

DEFENSE (39)
DT (6) – Christian Barmore, Lawrence Guy, Carl Davis, Davon Godchaux, Daniel Ekuale, Henry Anderson,
DE (6) – Deatrich Wise, Sam Roberts, Byron Cowart, Bill Murray, LaBryan Ray, DaMarcus Mitchell,
SLB (3) – Matthew Judon, Anfernee Jennings, Ronnie Perkins,
MLB (4) – Ja’Whaun Bentley, Josh Uche, Harvey Langi, Jahlani Tavai,
WLB (3) – Mack Wilson, Raekwon McMillan, Cameron McGrone,
SS (6) – Kyle Dugger, Adrian Phillips, Jabrill Peppers, Cody Davis, JoeJuan Williams, Brenden Schooler,
FS (2) – Devin McCourty, Joshuah Bledsoe,
CB (9) – Jalen Mills, Malcolm Butler, Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones, Devin Hafford, Shaun Wade, Terrance Mitchell, Myles Bryant, Jack Jones,

SPECIAL TEAMS (8)
K (2) – Nick Folk, Quinn Nordin,
P (2) – Jake Bailey, Jake Julien,
LS (2) – Joe Cardona, Ross Reiter
GUN (2) – Matt Slater, Justin Bethel

My way too early updated 53...

OFFENSE
(24/24)
QB (2) – Mac Jones, Bailey Zappe, Brian Hoyer (PS)
OT (3) – Trent Brown, Isaiah Wynn, Justin Herron, Arlington Hambright (PS),
OG (2) – Michael Onwenu, Cole Strange, Drew Desjarlais (PS),
C (2) – David Andrews, Kody Russey,
TE (4) – Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene,
RB (5) – Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, James White (I), Pierre Strong, Ty Montgomery, Kevin Harris (I), JJ Taylor (PS),
WR (6) – DeVante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Kristian Wilkerson, Kendrick Bourne, Tyquan Thornton, Jakobi Meyers, Tre Nixon (PS),

DEFENSE
(24/24)
DT (4) – Christian Barmore, Lawrence Guy, Carl Davis, Davon Godchaux
DE (2) – Deatrich Wise, Sam Roberts,
SLB (2) – Matthew Judon, Anfernee Jennings,
MLB (2) – Ja’Whaun Bentley, Josh Uche,
WLB (2) – Cameron McGrone, Raekwon McMillan, Mack Wilson,
SS (4) – Kyle Dugger, Adrian Phillips, Jabrill Peppers, JoeJuan Williams, Cody Davis,
FS (2) – Devin McCourty, Brenden Schooler, Joshuah Bledsoe (PS),
CB (5) – Jalen Mills, Terrance Mitchell, Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones, Shaun Wade, Jack Jones (PS), Malcolm Butler

SPECIAL TEAMS
(5)
K (1) – Nick Folk,
P (1) – Jake Bailey,
LS (1) – Joe Cardona
GUN (2) – Matt Slater, Justin Bethel

If I posted them above and crossed them out it means I had a hard time figuring out if they would make the team or would be injury dependent... they were bubble guys IMO.

Assuming everyone stays healthy they have too many quality CB's, too many WR's, too many RB's and too many O-Linemen. Preseason and camp injuries will clear this up some but don't be surprised if some moves are made assuming everyone plays well and exits preseason healthy.

OT (3) – Trent Brown, Isaiah Wynn, Justin Herron, Arlington Hambright (PS),
Hambone's NOT an OT...Not even a PS OT.

OG (2) – Michael Onwenu, Cole Strange, Drew Desjarlais (PS),
C (2) – David Andrews, Kody Russey,
If both Dejarlais & Chasen Hines are out-performed in camp by Kody Russey, then I'll be disappointed.

RB (5) – Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, James White (I), Pierre Strong, Ty Montgomery, Kevin Harris (I), JJ Taylor (PS),
Ty Montgomery sucks. I would've signed ex-Queef Darrel Williams instead.

DT (4) – Christian Barmore, Lawrence Guy, Carl Davis, Davon Godchaux
DE (2) – Deatrich Wise, Sam Roberts,
Yeah we're in trouble here...

SLB (2) – Matthew Judon, Anfernee Jennings,
Ronnie Perkins?

WLB (2) – Cameron McGrone, Raekwon McMillan, Mack Wilson,
If Mack Wilson doesn't make the 53 for other than injury reasons, then I'll be very disappointed.

SS (4) – Kyle Dugger, Adrian Phillips, Jabrill Peppers, JoeJuan Williams, Cody Davis,
FS (2) – Devin McCourty, Brenden Schooler, Joshuah Bledsoe (PS),
Neither SlowJuan nor Schooler are making the 53. Book it... And why are you including Cody Davis among the SSs?

CB (5) – Jalen Mills, Terrance Mitchell, Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones, Shaun Wade, Jack Jones (PS), Malcolm Butler
I know I've been away a fortnight, but wasn't Bill's 4th-round CB supposedly one of the stars of OTAs? And did his 3rd-round CB even play?

Assuming everyone stays healthy they have too many quality CB's, too many WR's, too many RB's and too many O-Linemen. Preseason and camp injuries will clear this up some but don't be surprised if some moves are made assuming everyone plays well and exits preseason healthy.

Disagree, but that's why they play the games I suppose.

Hambone's NOT an OT...Not even a PS OT.
You told us Russey was a poor athlete without bothering to look. Everything is horrible in your eyes.
If both Dejarlais & Chasen Hines are out-performed in camp by Kody Russey, then I'll be disappointed.
You're always disappointed... it's your default state.
Ty Montgomery's tackles special teams play was similar to Brandin Bolden. Learn the game. There's a lot of talent and competition at RB, he's not sure thing but he has value as a vet.
They weren't in trouble there last year and it's the same group with Sam Roberts added. They need to stay healthy.
Ronnie Perkins?
Bad draft pick IMO.
If Mack Wilson doesn't make the 53 for other than injury reasons, then I'll be very disappointed.
You're always disappointed, it's the darkness you were born into.
Neither SlowJuan nor Schooler are making the 53. Book it... And why are you including Cody Davis among the SSs?
I never say never when athletes are concerned. JoeJuan is a free agent after this year, they'll probably move on from him. Schooler is really athletic and has shown versatility. Special teams matter.
I know I've been away a fortnight, but wasn't Bill's 4th-round CB supposedly one of the stars of OTAs? And did his 3rd-round CB even play?
OTA's? And Marcus Jones has a red non-contact jersey coming off shoulder surgery after college.
Disagree, but that's why they play the games I suppose.
When everybody sucks, it's hard to be realistic.

He really does suck. I hope he doesn't make the team and take touches away from Harris and Rham.
They certainly are. They routinely got pushed back allowing 123 yards per game. Their DL has been soft since 2017 and continues to get worse.
Uche is an outside LB. If he plays middle, he'll be "thrown out of the club" on a regular basis. McGrone and McMillan will be MLB/WLB's.
WR (6) – DeVante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Kristian Wilkerson, Kendrick Bourne, Tyquan Thornton, Jakobi Meyers, Tre Nixon (PS),
You forgot N'Keal Harry...who I think makes the team.

He really does suck. I hope he doesn't make the team and take touches away from Harris and Rham.

They certainly are. They routinely got pushed back allowing 123 yards per game. Their DL has been soft since 2017 and continues to get worse.

Uche is an outside LB. If he plays middle, he'll be "thrown out of the club" on a regular basis. McGrone and McMillan will be MLB/WLB's.

I was all set to give you an Agree... Until the last line...

He can play RB, WR and he makes tackles on special teams. If some rookie RB or young guys can play ST's then his roster spot isn't a given... somebody has to play special teams... this isn't fantasy football.
They didn't "get pushed back" at all, the LB'ers after the bye week last year lost contain on the edge, got shook out of their shoes... this is why we saw a mass exodus of old linebackers.
So far Uche has been nothing but a part time pass rusher and contributor. They're hoping he can become a full-time starter now after having time to develop. Uche weighs 245 pounds... your insinuation that he's too small is not an accurate one.
He's gone already.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back