PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If OBJ is released by the Browns and is unclaimed, do you want him in NE on the cheap? (Update: Signed by Rams)

Can anyone explain to me how LA has been staying under the cap these past 3-4 seasons with pro bowlers and we seem to always be skirting with the cap with a team full of middle of the pack talents?

He's getting $1M for the rest of the season. The other $3M is based on "team performance" incentives (per tweet).

I'd assume $1M for Division (or make playoffs?), $1M for NFCCG, $1M for SB or something like that.

That takes his incentives out of his hands and it'll be interesting to see how he reacts if "team" doesn't make them.

Still, it's better than the vet min he would have been getting (600K) if he signed in GB. What would be more interesting is if he doesn't get any targets AND the team doesn't get far in the playoffs...he's going to explode. But then again, he'll just sign somewhere else next season.

Rams vs
WINSTON THREW 30 MOTHER FLIPPING INTERCEPTIONS, AND HAD ANOTHER 10 FUMBLES. SHOW ME A DEFENSE THAT CAN MAKE UP FOR THE OFFENSE TURNING THE BALL OVER 40 TIMES?

Yeah I don't get it. It's one thing to say having an efficient QB like Brady helps the defense because they have less time on the field. But these posters are literally making it seem like Brady somehow made the cornerbacks and defensive players more talented. Made Mike Evans and Godwin great receivers. They always had talent. Just had a QB who had 40 turnovers.

If that's the case, these cornerbacks this year should be playing lights out. But they aren't.

Rams vs

Yeah I don't get it. It's one thing to say having an efficient QB like Brady helps the defense because they have less time on the field. But these posters are literally making it seem like Brady somehow made the cornerbacks and defensive players more talented. Made Mike Evans and Godwin great receivers. They always had talent. Just had a QB who had 40 turnovers.

If that's the case, these cornerbacks this year should be playing lights out. But they aren't.
He didn't make them better, but he did change the mentality. Arians, Licht, and the Glazers have a said it. It took one man to show them how to win

Rams-Bucs in the nfc championship will be really fun to watch.

Right now, if the playoffs ended today, it would be

1. Arizona

2. Bucs

3. Packers

4. Dallas

5. LA

6. NO

7. Vikings

Wild Card round:

Bucs vs. Vikings - Bucs

Packers vs NO - Packers

Dallas vs LA - LA (but Dallas is obviously really good)

Divisional Round:

Arizona vs. LA (damn good game. I don't know who would win)

Bucs vs Packers - Bucs (I think they match up well with GB)

Conference Championship:

LA/Arizona vs Bucs -If it's LA, I think they win. If it's Arizona, I think the Bucs win.

Can anyone explain to me how LA has been staying under the cap these past 3-4 seasons with pro bowlers and we seem to always be skirting with the cap with a team full of middle of the pack talents?
Certain teams kick cap problems down the road to "win now". In the past, New Orleans and Pittsburg played that game and now are having cap problems. Two primary culprits now are Kansas City and to a lesser extent Tampa Bay, but the Rams are in a class of their own because not only are they kicking cap problems into the future to "win now" but they are giving up almost all of their future draft picks for the same reason.

I think an under-reported pride of BB is that he never kicks cap problems down the road (that is why he took the big cap hit last year instead of kicking it into the future), I think it is consistency in winning without having "down years" is one of his greatest points of pride. Last year was his first semi-down year in decades, and it served the purpose of cleaning up the Pats cap problems.

Because the cap has always been "crap". There's many ways to manipulate if you really want to keep players.

Over-hyped nonsense.

The great "tax hike" in both CA and NY (and MA) was because of the GOP taxscam, by the way, where State and Local taxes were no longer deductible above $10k - a modest house in MA crosses that threshold in property tax alone. A two-income middle class couple owning a modest home in Orange County or LA County or San Fran County got crushed by the "tax cut."

But still the idea that these places are hollowing out is absurd. It's a miniscule change in population, and a lot of it has to do with people being able to work remotely in the major industries - high tech, computer gaming. Many people don't want to live in crowded and expensive areas, but that's where the money is, right? So now, a lot of people don't have to do that anymore. I don't think that's a bad thing. Big fight among computer game companies out there, poaching talent by offering them full remote. There are very few wealthy people fleeing - but they're high profile, so it makes it seem like a flood. It's not. Many leaving are middle class, for the above reason.

I bought a house in CA 5 years ago for 1.85. It's worth 3.2 now, easily. Yes, tough times. And news flash, I pay less than double in property taxes on that property than I pay on my MA home, which is worth about a quarter of that.

Pissed at Manchin and Sinema? Manchin, no, as he's representing the people of West Virginia and is consistent in his beliefs. I don't like that he's a fossil fuel guy and think that's holding us back, but WV is fossil fuel... Sinema is a fraud and always has been, ever since she was a grifting green, so I never had any use for her. The reports that her favorite parts of the day are hitting up big donors don't surprise me at all, or that she got $750k from Big Pharma so block the drug negotiation clauses.

To your larger point, sure, I don't like a lot of the things those two are blocking, like paid family leave and the government negotiating drug prices. None of this really affects me personally at all, except for a possible tax increase if much of it goes through, since I'm n the highest bracket, which might revert to 39.5%. The change in my tax burden won't change my lifestyle one iota. Not one tiny bit - it would amount to a the hit from a single bad day on Wall St.

Here's a hint: Once you're above a certain level of wealth in the USA, worrying about taxes is indeed a personality flaw.

Please stick to football, because your political opinions are Garbage.

I think an under-reported pride of BB is that he never kicks cap problems down the road

Well Bill clearly went with the "let's win this year while Brady is still here" when he for example gave up a 2nd for Sanu and some other trades he made in that time period - like earlier he gave up a first for Cooks. The veterans are better immediately (Cooks but not Sanu of course) but you lose five years of a top player cheap.

Because the cap has always been "crap". There's many ways to manipulate if you really want to keep players.
Correct. The way to manipulate it is to spread out cap hits.

NO did that for years and because of that practice they are operating 2021 with $42m in dead money.

Last edited:
Correct. They way to manipulate it is to spread out cap hits.

NO did that for years and because of that practice they are operating 2021 with $42m in dead money.

Payton is the best on-field coach after BB in my opinion. The fact he has that team 5-3 with operating at essentially 75% of the cap and with that QB situation is impressive.

Please stick to football, because your political opinions are Garbage.

Please stick to being a whiny and complaining hate-everything football fan, because you couldn't begin to counter anything I just said with anything that resembles reality.

this dude is bad juju

this dude is bad juju

Wow, it's a good thing they got Odell. Still think the Rams are in decent shape but it's a big blow to their offense.

Over-hyped nonsense.

The great "tax hike" in both CA and NY (and MA) was because of the GOP taxscam, by the way, where State and Local taxes were no longer deductible above $10k - a modest house in MA crosses that threshold in property tax alone. A two-income middle class couple owning a modest home in Orange County or LA County or San Fran County got crushed by the "tax cut."

I’m sure the GOP was very unhappy sticking it to those blue states.

as far as OBJ, if he can’t shelter a good amount of his income from the local authorities he need to fire his accountants and hire a new team. As long as he is domiciled elsewhere he will be able to expense almost everything in Cali I’d think.

I feel bad for woods. More proof that you are never more than 1 play away from injury regardless of in a game or at practice.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back