PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Honestly I am glad about the receivers for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
He let Meyers know he ran the wrong route is stating what happened
“So everyone in the stadium and on tv could see” is editorializing to take a shot at Brady.
Again saying it that way implies he did it BECAUSE he wanted that result. I find that foolish but if you want to try to convince people the GOAT is a self centered spoiled brat, that’s up to you, I just find it offensive, but I have said my peace.
Ok

People also conveniently forget Malcolm Mitchell, who had a very productive rookie season and made some huge plays in the greatest SB comeback in league history. Were it not for a degenerative knee, his arrow was clearly pointing up.
It’s about getting on the field. And it’s about the play call and progressions. Based upon number of snaps played Brady spreads the ball around to everyone.
I think a lot of people don’t understand that the play call tells Brady who to throw to. Pass plays are designed to make routes in combination and based upon coverage there is a primary receiver on every play. If he is open he gets the ball. If not you check #2 and so on. If the first read is open he gets the ball and if the 4th read were wide open, the QB doesn’t even know it.
I think a lot of people think that receivers run unrelated routes and the QB looks at all 5 and chooses the one that is most open.
The progressions by player are different every play but the better players are most often early progressions and the lesser players are most often decoy routes or late progressions.
Look at it this way. If every player got open on every play, how would the distribution be? It would be 100% based on play call and 0% based on QB.

It’s about getting on the field. And it’s about the play call and progressions. Based upon number of snaps played Brady spreads the ball around to everyone.
I think a lot of people don’t understand that the play call tells Brady who to throw to. Pass plays are designed to make routes in combination and based upon coverage there is a primary receiver on every play. If he is open he gets the ball. If not you check #2 and so on. If the first read is open he gets the ball and if the 4th read were wide open, the QB doesn’t even know it.
I think a lot of people think that receivers run unrelated routes and the QB looks at all 5 and chooses the one that is most open.
The progressions by player are different every play but the better players are most often early progressions and the lesser players are most often decoy routes or late progressions.
Look at it this way. If every player got open on every play, how would the distribution be? It would be 100% based on play call and 0% based on QB.
I don't know if I see the correlation entirely between your post and my comment that you quoted (though I'm not disagreeing with anything necessarily), but my post was in response to those saying that the Pats can't draft and develop guys and how Josh needs to tailor the offense to an individual receiver's skill set. While it's obvious the Pats have missed on quite a few WR's, there are some they absolutely hit on and Mitchell was one of them. Yes, a player has to be able to get on the field to make an impact, but I don't know how the Pats (or any team) could predict a degenerative condition. Mitchell, himself, didn't know he had a knee that would not improve. But the fact remains that he made many plays when he was on the field in his rookie season. He had a great second half and made some of the key plays in the SB that never get talked about. Some of those catches NEEDED to happen and he did it.

I guess my bottom line is I think people suggesting that Harry should be producing at a DK Metcalf (or whoever else's) level is asinine. The kid played a few preseason plays before going down and never being seen again until last week. LAST WEEK. And now, just because the Pats are in a dire WR situation, he's supposed to morph into an All-Pro WR and save the offense? Why? Because that's what fans on a message board want? Because it's a reasonable expectation? Because it's that easy at the NFL level playing in one of the more complex offenses in the league and for an organization that has SB expectations every season? Seriously, if it were that easy, then I suggest @Triumph suit up and give it a go.

I don't know if I see the correlation entirely between your post and my comment that you quoted (though I'm not disagreeing with anything necessarily), but my post was in response to those saying that the Pats can't draft and develop guys and how Josh needs to tailor the offense to an individual receiver's skill set. While it's obvious the Pats have missed on quite a few WR's, there are some they absolutely hit on and Mitchell was one of them. Yes, a player has to be able to get on the field to make an impact, but I don't know how the Pats (or any team) could predict a degenerative condition. Mitchell, himself, didn't know he had a knee that would not improve. But the fact remains that he made many plays when he was on the field in his rookie season. He had a great second half and made some of the key plays in the SB that never get talked about. Some of those catches NEEDED to happen and he did it.

I guess my bottom line is I think people suggesting that Harry should be producing at a DK Metcalf (or whoever else's) level is asinine. The kid played a few preseason plays before going down and never being seen again until last week. LAST WEEK. And now, just because the Pats are in a dire WR situation, he's supposed to morph into an All-Pro WR and save the offense? Why? Because that's what fans on a message board want? Because it's a reasonable expectation? Because it's that easy at the NFL level playing in one of the more complex offenses in the league and for an organization that has SB expectations every season? Seriously, if it were that easy, then I suggest @Triumph suit up and give it a go.
The thing is that people make things up, it gets repeated ad nauseum and then becomes accepted when it wasn’t really true to begin with.
The patriots haven’t had many successful wr draft picks, but it’s because the patriots use fewer picks (esp earlier ones on WR than anyone).
Brady won’t throw to rookies yet when rookies get on the field they get as many targets and catches for their assigned role as anyone else.
It’s like the old “Matt light can’t handle speed rushers” that got accepted as fact when in reality speed rushers consistently had fewer sacks vs light than against others.

The thing is that people make things up, it gets repeated ad nauseum and then becomes accepted when it wasn’t really true to begin with.
The patriots haven’t had many successful wr draft picks, but it’s because the patriots use fewer picks (esp earlier ones on WR than anyone).
Brady won’t throw to rookies yet when rookies get on the field they get as many targets and catches for their assigned role as anyone else.
It’s like the old “Matt light can’t handle speed rushers” that got accepted as fact when in reality speed rushers consistently had fewer sacks vs light than against others.
This is very true.

This is very true.
It’s amazing to me after all the success this team has had that people seem to enjoy trashing them, including bb and tb12.

It’s amazing to me after all the success this team has had that people seem to enjoy trashing them, including bb and tb12.
It's the nature of people in our society nowadays. It's not about what you did. It's what have you done for me lately?

It's the nature of people in our society nowadays. It's not about what you did. It's what have you done for me lately?

I remember the good old days, back before the kids were on my damn lawn, when you'd trot out bad football players and that was totally fine because they had been good once upon a time.

I remember the good old days, back before the kids were on my damn lawn, when you'd trot out bad football players and that was totally fine because they had been good once upon a time.
9-1

Just a random memory that your post brought back: "We physical, they finesse"

Not that it gainsays your thought, just funny to me, I immediately got this pre-game psych-up in my memory, I dont even remember who it was... Ravens?... saying "We physical, they finesse!"

More random associative wisdom: I read Thompkins and Dobson now and I somehow always think Rosencrantz and Gildenstern.

That is all.

I think it was that Biatch LT before a Chargers playoff game.

I agree Im so glad that Brady is forced to use Harry and Meyers, I feel like on any other team Meyers would be damn near a pro bowler hell look at Hollister in Seattle, especially Harry since we spent a first on him.

You seem to have a vastly inflated notion of what Hollister is, right now.

None of that matters if they don't win the Super Bowl.
But it certainly invalidates a comment that they are putting crappy players out there but it’s ok because they won in the last.
They have done 90% of everything they can do so far toward winning a SB. So yeah, 9-1 matters because you can’t win a Sb if you don’t make the playoffs and it gets a whole easier as your seeding improves.

It's amazing to me, after all the success, and the comments on it by the team itself, that people still don't get that the bar has been raised and SB wins are now the standard for measurement, not in-season records, and that level of play is what matters most come November, not the current win/loss status.

It's amazing to me, after all the success, and the comments on it by the team itself, that people still don't get that the bar has been raised and SB wins are now the standard for measurement, not in-season records, and that level of play is what matters most come November, not the current win/loss status.
Why would that create people trashing Brady and Belichick?

I agree with the title of this thread, but not necessarily the sentiment. I couldn't care less about the prior track record, I just continue to believe this offense can't hit full stride until one of the rookies steps up. If a few bumps in the road are required to make this happen, so be it. I'd rather get them out of the way now.

Schrodinger's receivers. You don't know if they're alive or dead until you call their agents about a tryout. But also very Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, their careers didn't die on-stage... so how can we be sure...

The receiver is both dead and alive simultaneously unless you open the box and view them.

Does record matter?
Since the SB started only 71 teams have been 9-1 or better. 35 went to the SB.
That also means that about 1/3 of all teams making it to the SB started 9-1 or better.

Should we be worried that we are 9-1 but aren’t good?
The Patriots through 10 games have a point differential of 179. That is the 8th best in the SB era. All 7 with greater PD went to the SB.

Would Brady have treated Edelman that way if he totally missed his assignment?

My guess is a resounding "YES".

He let Meyers know he ran the wrong route is stating what happened
“So everyone in the stadium and on tv could see” is editorializing to take a shot at Brady.
Again saying it that way implies he did it BECAUSE he wanted that result. I find that foolish but if you want to try to convince people the GOAT is a self centered spoiled brat, that’s up to you, I just find it offensive, but I have said my peace.

Would Brady have treated Edelman that way if he totally missed his assignment?

My guess is a resounding "YES".
It’s football not campfire singalong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back