PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gruden can't let go

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's almost like their success aligns with the arrival of Rich Gannon, Charles Woodson, Eric Allen, and Tyrone Wheatley.

I like Gruden a lot as a commentator but I think he's far better in the booth than on the sidelines.

Gannon was a journeyman and in Gruden's offense he became an MVP.
Wheatley was a washout with the Giants
Woodson was Woodson
Allen was their OTIS who Gruden knew from Philly.

No defense intended but the math does work out to "a .500 coach" (rounding down, not up ). :)
How is 95-81 and a .540 winning % .500?

Tom Coughlin, Dan Reeves, Tom Flores, **** Vermeil, Bum Phillips all have worse winning %s than Gruden. Are they .500 coaches too?

Last edited:
A lot of us still ***** about face guarding in the 2006 AFCCG bad call but not the sole reason we lost, we conveniently forget how big of a lead we had, Caldwell dropping a ball that hit his hands in stride on the 2 etc....its human nature.

Wrong. We don't forget that there were other reasons. We just object to having the Referees gift the Colts a TouchDown on a penalty that no longer existed. :rolleyes:

Thank God that he is off the air and not a broadcaster anymore.

JJ Watt will miss him.

I like to think Brady did fumble. Call it even for Roughing the Passer. :)

Seriously. Ben phucking Dreith gifted the Raiders a Super Bowl at our expense. :mad:

I've always loved the Raiders ~ being a Patriots Fan's never dulled my admiration for other great Teams ~ but the last Team that has any business complaining, even if a Patriot pulls out a Gun and shoots a guy...is the phucking Raiders. :rolleyes:

To be fair, the tuck rule was pretty stupid.

...But correctly called, both to our benefit and to our earlier detriment.
spock.gif

Gruden and the raiders would have lost to pittsburgh or the rams, so the tuck rule probably saved the raiders from further embarrassment.

Gruden and the raiders would have lost to pittsburgh or the rams, so the tuck rule probably saved the raiders from further embarrassment.

I actually think they would have beaten Pitt. Kordell Stewart would have turned it over a few times and that Raider WC offense with Gannon, Garner, Brown and Crockett was really good.

Not the Rams though. Only one team in the league could have beaten them... and did. :D

First Raiders play next season: "The ole Spider 2 Y Banana"

First Press Conference: "Yeah he's a real special guy. One of the reasons he throws the ball so well is he keeps his hands on the ball"

First loss to the Pats: " Yeah man... I'll tell ya.....you can't triple bogy the first hole in golf and expect to win"

I hope that Faux Gruden twitter account stays in business :D

He's playing to his crowd.

Just watched the press conference and talking heads thereafter. Mark Davis built him up so much, almost God-like. The bar is being set very high. My girlfriend and her family are looking at him as a savior. Should be interesting in the fall when reality sets in.

Regards,
Chris

Davis was holding back tears introducing the Grudens. ****ing comical. But I'm sure many tears of joy were shed by folks realizing they don't have to listen to Grudens on MNF anymore.

Now how do we get someone to give Collinsworth a HC job? ****ing Marvin Lewis, why couldn't he resign like he said he was going to?

We always see stats like the number of coaches a team has had since Belichick joined the Patriots. I enjoy the fact that we now have a coach on his second stint with the same team since Belichick joined the Patriots. I believe he’s the first who can make that claim.

Face guarding was a rule that literally didn't exist at the time.
The tuck rule was in effect at the time.

HUGE difference

I am aware of that and that wasn't my point. My point is people focus on that singular play but ignore everything else that had to occur for NE to comeback and win. Hence the face guarding call. A lot of other things went wrong for NE to lose to the Colts some in NE's control some not.

I am aware of that and that wasn't my point. My point is people focus on that singular play but ignore everything else that had to occur for NE to comeback and win. Hence the face guarding call. A lot of other things went wrong for NE to lose to the Colts some in NE's control some not.

Using your argument, the reality is that only the final play of any game would matter in a "this play cost them the game" sense. I think we usually give a bit more leeway than that.

My point is that focusing on the correct interpretation of a valid call is silly, because there was no change from what should have been. If the proper call is made, it ends up precisely where it was.

In the Colts game, the proper call means that it's not 1st and goal from the 1. You may want to talk about later plays, and you're right, but we're looking at 3rd and 7 from the 19, which means a likely field goal attempt, versus a likely TD (and the TD is what happened).

Can we prove, factually, that the call going the other way means the Patriots win? No. But, if you change that from a TD to a FG, Tom doesn't have to force a pass in that final drive, in hopes of getting a TD. He's able to play for the FG, because the game would have been tied.

Tom, from the Patriots 40, first and 10 with 31 seconds to go, with 1 timeout, and just needing to get into FG range? That's a win.

Last edited:

That was the start of Goodell's shenanigans. Once NE upset SD in SD, phone calls were made.

Remember the off PI call on Troy Brown before half. They were steamrolling down the field for 3 or 7 more points before half, and CBS only showed us a smiling Brown going back to the huddle. We never saw the replay.

Not an accident.

The apology letter about a "faceguarding" call was comical. Those two plays alone made it a 10 point swing.

Davis was holding back tears introducing the Grudens. ****ing comical. But I'm sure many tears of joy were shed by folks realizing they don't have to listen to Grudens on MNF anymore.

Now how do we get someone to give Collinsworth a HC job? ****ing Marvin Lewis, why couldn't he resign like he said he was going to?

Al Davis had some mental illness there and I wouldn't be surprised if his pumpkin pie haircutted freak of a son does too.

Very, very strange to pretend Jon Gruden did something spectacular there almost 20 years ago, and somehow that equates to some guaranteed success now. He has a huge uphill climb there.

Reggie McKenzie has been very un-impressive understaing the market and cap. Sean Smith, Irvin and Marshawn Lynch represent over-payments for their true market value, and that's one too many players, intended to cover up some weak drafting.

Last edited:
How is 95-81 and a .540 winning % .500?

Tom Coughlin, Dan Reeves, Tom Flores, **** Vermeil, Bum Phillips all have worse winning %s than Gruden. Are they .500 coaches too?

Dude, stop it. 12 games ovr .500 or whatever the number is, is a ballpark .500 coach.

No one looked up the exact number, it's just that some of us think he's basically a .500 coach, capturing MOST of that with the 2002/2003 Buccaneers.

He's helped build absolutely nothing in the cap era. His issue is he gushes over every single player he sees, and does not get cap concepts. Didn't you hear him on MNF? He overrates every player.

Forget the fact that they blew two chances to put that game away, the second when he cowardly ran the ball 3 times.

They lost their last 3 games of the season, 2 to non-playoff teams. They could very easily be hosting that game if they took care of business, but they didn't.

It makes me very happy to know this still bothers him over a decade later. I hope it consumes him with rage and he loses his mind on every mundane call next time we play them.

it also was the correct rule. He is a coach and a coach should know the rules. 16 years later he is still operating on emotion mostly. "Brady fumbled that ball" His performance at the presser was pretty lame in my opinion.

The Raiders lost their last 3 freaking games of the season gifting the Pats homefield with just a 11-5 record. No one remembers that part but somehow if it weren't for the TucK Rule the Raiders would have been the sure Super Bowl champs. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back