PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Timeline - Tuck Rule - This Thursday Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben Dreith says hello, you whiney b#tche$.

If you have a such a great franchise, why is your team in such a big hurry to move to Nevada? It's never a good thing when your football team wants to put a treacherous mountain range between themselves and their fans. Oakland must really suck if its highest income young men can't wait to move to a place where there is no water.

I hate the Raiders and find it funny that Chucky Gruden is bellyaching since that game led to his exodus to Tampa Bay where he got the ultimate revenge. The Tuck Rule was the best thing that ever happened to that psychotic wing nut.

The amount of whining about a "never heard of rule" was surprising. I can understand their disappointment in the tuck rule as it was certainly a questionable rule but the call itself was not a hard one to make under replay and it was not obscure. The play itself was completely clear and the refs made the correct call based off of the rule book. Seemed like a major miss of the show to not spend a minute or 2 on the roughing call 15 years earlier as the parallels were pretty much the same. They complained about how the Raiders were always on the wrong side of calls due to Al Davis vs NFL when us Pats fan are well aware of that not being the case.

We caught a break in 2001, even though the Jets benefited from the same call earlier in the year. But the call went our way in the most crucial of circumstances.

Having said that, I would think the O'hara blatant holding non call when he choked Seymour in SB42 balances out when 2007 should have finished 19-0.
Or Bradshaw being allowed to pull athe ball away from Alexander while he was on the ground.

Tim Brown should be embarrassed. He sounds like a spoiled 3 year old who had his Smarties taken away. Same as the lady CEO. To say it cost them a Super Bowl is ludicrous. They were to soft to beat the Steelers or the Rams.

It also shows that the next season the entire team walked out of the meetings with the refs. No way anything like that would be allowed under BB. You don't waste your time worrying about what happened the previous year.

Or Bradshaw being allowed to pull athe ball away from Alexander while he was on the ground.
It was the execrable Pierre Woods who allowed Ahmad Bradshaw to take the fumble from him, not Eric Alexander (another waste of roster space).

That one play - which would have put us in immediate FG range - plus not scoring any points after Bill's successful challenge of the vagiants too-many-men penalty,
cost us the SB and NFL Immortality.

It was the execrable Pierre Woods who allowed Ahmad Bradshaw to take the fumble from him, not Eric Alexander (another waste of roster space).

That one play - which would have put us in immediate FG range - plus not scoring any points after Bill's successful challenge of the vagiants too-many-men penalty,
cost us the SB and NFL Immortality.
Right. Getting old. :oops:

Did all the Raiders and Raider fans forget that this was a Divisional Game? It would only “cost them a trip to the Super Bowl” if you assume that they were going to beat the Steelers. Not a given.

The reason they came to Foxboro for the Snow Bowl was because they lost to the Jete in the last regular season game. No way they were beating the Steelers in Pitt for the AFCC.

Free at last. Free at last. Thank Walt Coleman we're free at last.

I imagine the spin will be just awful.

Its not that hard to understand, really. There was a rule on the books, the officials knew the rule, and they called it EXACTLY the way the rule was written.

Yes, in many regards it was a bad rule that sort of defied common sense. I didn't like it when it went against us earlier that year, on the Vinny Testaverde tuck rule call.

Officials, though, don't have the option to ignore the rules in favor of what might seem to them to make sense at the time.

It had been called many times before and was called many times after.

I'm fine with the rule eventually being refined such that it would not be called that way today. But that was the rule then, and nobody was screwed.
The Timeline - Roughing The Passer

The Timeline - Darryl Stingley

The Timeline - The Boston Patriots

The Timeline - The National Football League's Corrupt Bias Against The New England Patriots Since The 1970 Merger

The Timeline - Stolen #1 Draft Picks in 2007 and 2015

America's Game: Stolen Rings - The 1976 New England Patriots

The Timeline: How Rozelle, Tagliabue And Goodell Damaged The NFL Through Corrupt Bias Against The Patriots

A Football Life: Gino Cappelletti

A Football Life: Steve Nelson

A Football Life: John Hannah

A Football Life: Jim Dee Hunt

A Football Life: Houston Antwine

A Football Life: Jon Morris

A Football Life: Jim Nance

A Football Life: Stanley Morgan

A Football Life: Julius Adams

A Football Life: Steve Grogan

What babies. LMAO

It is fascinating and very relevant to note that Davis and the Raiders were the biggest crybabies during the 70's, blabbering about how they "should have" won 100 Super Bowls and how they were jobbed by the Immaculate Reception (which was likewise a legal, correctly called play).

This sh*t unequivocally led to the Dreith robbery.

And it persists today: "Oh, yes it's normal for the Steelers to be in the playoffs...they're a traditionally good team, and a top franchise"

"What are the Patriots doing there? They suck. The Patriots are a joke franchise. They are a national embarrassment, James Busch Orthwein said so and he proved it by giving them those ugly new uniforms."

I would think this would be harder for Raiders fans to watch and digest as opposed to Pats fans.

After all, we're the one who won the title (and then some more).

I have no problem listening to Raiders people ponder "what could have been."
The problem, unfortunately, is that the Raiders people ponder, "what SHOULD have been." Babies...

I loved it. Listening to the whining was fabulous.

What babies. LMAO

For a team that prides itself in it's supposed toughness, they have a lot of crybaby in them. That includes players and fans and isn't limited by years. I saw George Atkinson whining about the Immaculate Reception on one of those top ten shows, and that happened many moons before the Snow Bowl.

Speaking of George and top ten shows, there's also one that I saw (and can't find now) concerning the Raiders in which Atkinson was proud to announce that his teams believed in this cardinal rule: "If you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin"

If I had to choose any one team from all of the AFC teams to be victimized, I would choose the Raiders. The fact that the 2001 title was the start of the run that had us tied with them by the end of the 2004 season in SB wins, just makes it sweeter.

As @AQPE posted earlier... just whine, baby!

I loved it. Listening to the whining was fabulous.
They look ridiculous, especially all these years later. The RULE is the RULE is the RULE. It was logically applied to that situation and they would've wanted the same had Gannon been in that situation. It also was meticulously explained. Brady hadn't yet tucked the ball, end of story.

I was at that game. One thing about old Foxboro Stadium, even then, was people snuck things into games that never would pass through now. I remember a guy down in front of me had two cannister air horns -- one in each hand -- he was blasting everytime Oakland had the ball on offense. The snow was really fluffy, it piled up inches deep on everyone's shoulders and head. What a night!

For a team that prides itself in it's supposed toughness, they have a lot of crybaby in them. That includes players and fans and isn't limited by years. I saw George Atkinson whining about the Immaculate Reception on one of those top ten shows, and that happened many moons before the Snow Bowl.

Speaking of George and top ten shows, there's also one that I saw (and can't find now) concerning the Raiders in which Atkinson was proud to announce that his teams believed in this cardinal rule: "If you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin"

If I had to choose any one team from all of the AFC teams to be victimized, I would choose the Raiders. The fact that the 2001 title was the start of the run that had us tied with them by the end of the 2004 season in SB wins, just makes it sweeter.

As @AQPE posted earlier... just whine, baby!
I remember that one from good old George.
I did find this one from Matt Millen in the 1980's America's Game. Raider's rule number 1 Cheating is Encouraged .

If I had to choose any one team from all of the AFC teams to be victimized, I would choose the Raiders.
Yes, but of course the fact is that the Raiders were never "victimized." They lost fair and square.

An astounding contrast to the class and character displayed by the 1976 Patriots, who were real victims but remain men.

The problem is that people listen to their bullsh*t and believe it. BSPN has ballyhooed the tuck rule thing ad nauseam, but nationally, relatively few people even know about the Dreith robbery. That's why I want them to rebroadcast the whole thing. Yes, it ends terribly, but it's the last game our beloved '76 Pats played, and they played more than well enough to win.

BTW I love the expression, "Raiders of the Lost Games.":)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News