PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great job on FA day one! Pleased with the front office.

It's very early, but they are still the same team as last year. It's Deja Vu with posters super excited when there was no improvements going into the 2023 season. This might be a 2000 season where the team gets stripped a bit before signing better players next year.

Signing a bunch of FA's to big deals is not how to build the team anyways. Need to draft well.
I agree with most of this, but Brissett alone will lead to more wins. You cannot get worse than the Patriots quarterback play in 23’. It won’t turn them into a playoff team without considerably more help, but they won’t suck ass like last season,

Can you please provide a source that demonstrates how the NFL has an agenda with the cap and makes up a number to fit that agenda?
My understanding is that the cap is derived through a formula, and it is in a contract with the NFLPA. It is data driven. The number is based on revenue.

Or, we could go try and decode the jet trails to see what the inner circle of the deep state is doing to us.

Nothing NFL owners like more than paying the players hundreds of millions more than they initially planned on.

I have a strong feeling we are going to be drafting marvin harrison jr and possibly penix by trading up . I am not too sold on maye . Now we need vikings to give us 11 , their 2nd and justin Jefferson for 3. That's going to make the fan base go wild.

I have a strong feeling we are going to be drafting marvin harrison jr and possibly penix by trading up . I am not too sold on maye . Now we need vikings to give us 11 , their 2nd and justin Jefferson for 3. That's going to make the fan base go wild.

The Vikings aren’t going trade Jefferson to the Patriots

There are some good free agent free safeties available. Justin Simmons, Camren Kurl, Jordan Fuller, tally like to see them lock one of them up.
Would love a guy who can be that center fielder and allow Dugger/Peppers to not have to dip outside their area of best use.

Can you please provide a source that demonstrates how the NFL has an agenda with the cap and makes up a number to fit that agenda?
My understanding is that the cap is derived through a formula, and it is in a contract with the NFLPA. It is data driven. The number is based on revenue.

Or, we could go try and decode the jet trails to see what the inner circle of the deep state is doing to us.
Oh please.. so literally all the capologists and 'experts' that know this 'Formula' were so out of wack hey.. lol. No one expected this huge rise this year. It caught everyone by surprise and killed Free Agency.

They might if they see swapping 11 for 3 as a chance to get the QB they need... trade value around 1000pts.. about a 15th overall. I'd take Jefferson (signing 5 year deal) and draft OT for #3

Oh please.. so literally all the capologists and 'experts' that know this 'Formula' were so out of wack hey.. lol. No one expected this huge rise this year. It caught everyone by surprise and killed Free Agency.

Are you actually arguing that the NFL, which is run by the owners, wanted to pay the players hundreds of millions more $$$$ than they originally thought they had to pay them?

They might if they see swapping 11 for 3 as a chance to get the QB they need... trade value around 1000pts.. about a 15th overall. I'd take Jefferson (signing 5 year deal) and draft OT for #3

There’s nothing like having a great receiver and no one to throw the ball to them. It’s a winning formula. Just ask Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Mosd, Andre Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins….

The Chiefs traded their All Pro WR to Miami, 2 years later they had back Lombardi’s, and the Dolphins are losing their best players to free agency.

Quarterbacks are the key piece to winning Lombardi’s, not wide receivers.

Last edited:
Are you actually arguing that the NFL, which is run by the owners, wanted to pay the players hundreds of millions more $$$$ than they originally thought they had to pay them?
LOL at the NFL is run by the owners. The cap wouldn't be 60m higher in so short time if owners had their way. Owners do as they are told.

There’s nothing like having a great receiver and no one to throw the ball to them. It’s a winning formula. Just ask Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Mosd, Andre Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins….

The Chiefs traded their All Pro WR to Miami, 2 years later they had back Lombardi’s, and the Dolphins are losing their best players to free agency.

Quarterbacks are the key piece to winning Lombardi’s, not wide receivers.
For every Mahomes and Chiefs there is a Josh Allen and Bills.

Teams used to pay star RBs.. its turned to paying up for star WRs.
I'd prefer the Detroit rebuild, get all the pieces for most QBs can survive and achieve... than get lucky with a 1 in 5 crapshoot rookie QB
Get the OL and WRs before QB.

lol, nothing makes my eyes roll more than the cliche of the “veteran mentor,” as if any professional athlete wants to train their replacement. Brissett is here on a one-year contract; he wants to play and succeed, so he can get a bigger contract next year. A rookie QB’s success if of zero benefit to him.

I always think this is the most ridiculous thing whenever I hear it.
No one is saying JB wants to play the mentor role, but as a known professional, he will

For every Mahomes and Chiefs there is a Josh Allen and Bills.

Teams used to pay star RBs.. its turned to paying up for star WRs.
I'd prefer the Detroit rebuild, get all the pieces for most QBs can survive and achieve... than get lucky with a 1 in 5 crapshoot rookie QB
Get the OL and WRs before QB.

Ah yes, “ the Detroit rebuild,” the one that’s been going on for approximately 70 years. That’s the ticket.

I am happy that they retained the players they did, but I don't get the love for what Wolf has done thus far. He basically made one of the worst rosters in the NFL into one of the worst rosters in the NFL. Not one of the people the Pats retained were exactly top free agents.

I am happy they kept Owenu, but if I was another team looking for a guard or RT, I would say "We absolutely have to get Owenu". The Pats desperately needed him because they have no tackles, but Pats' marquee move so far in free agency when they went into it with the most cap room out of any team was retaining a RT/RG. Not all that impressive.

Don't get me wrong. I am not down on the Pats or Wolf - yet. I think this free agent class is pretty weak and a lot of teams probably overpaid for players that will produce disappointing returns. But retaining your best players especially when you don't have any top 10-15 free agents is what I call the bare minimum for a successful offseason. If the Pats walk away from free agency with what they have now and maybe a few more unspectacular additions, I would give them a C- at best. Barely passing.

There are still some really good free agents and other good players who might be acquired by trade. So there is still work to be done. So I am holding off judgement. But they will have to make at least one or two significant impact acquisitions or this free agency period will be barely passing at best.

Nothing NFL owners like more than paying the players hundreds of millions more than they initially planned on.

They'd rather have a year where they pay a massive increase, than a year when they don't.

Yes, absolutely. It is a baked in calculation, based on revenues. They knew it was coming, because they track revenues. If they cap doesn't go up, it is because the owners' business didn't do well.

If the Pats don't like Maye (I am assuming Daniels goes #2), they absolutely have to trade out of the #3 spot. They could potentially get as much as the Dolphins did to trade out of #3 to San Fran back in 2021. Turning the #3 pick to three #1 picks can speed up the rebuild process and potentially make the Pats into a contender.

Harrison looks to be a stud, but there are a decent handful of WRs in this class who have the potential to be top 5 or top 10 WRs in the league. I am not sure that Harrison is all that much better than the next couple of receivers after him. He is better, but is he an extra 1-2 first round draft picks better?

So you are asserting that the owners, as business people, don't track revenue as it happens? And don't know the formula they agreed to contractually years ago?

They only people surprised by this were the media, and by extension the fans.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back