PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great job on FA day one! Pleased with the front office.

Good start.
Parker’s release surprised me, though I haven’t really looked at the dead cost.

Not getting Wilson back at that price bummed me out (binkie). But I’m pretty sure Mayo and Hightower know that area off the field a wee bit better than I do. Don’t really know Takitaki.
Reports from Jeff Howe are the dead money hit for release is 6.3m this year. But we still end up saving 140k in cap space. Resigning Parker was a bad decision in the first place. He never earned that money with his play and now he's gone.

Source: Here's how much dead cap space DeVante Parker release will cost Patriots

Reports from Jeff Howe are the dead money hit for release is 6.3m this year. But we still end up saving 140k in cap space. Resigning Parker was a bad decision in the first place. He never earned that money with his play and now he's gone.

Source: Here's how much dead cap space DeVante Parker release will cost Patriots

On the surface, he saves $140K in space. But, another player has to take his spot in the top 51 salaries which is close to $1M (minimum salary). Right now Parker is taking up $6,466,666 and 1 roster spot. After, he'll be taking up $6,300,000 of cap and 0 roster spots. Someone else has to take that roster spot at close to $1M so our cap space goes down when you factor that in.

Ah yes, “ the Detroit rebuild,” the one that’s been going on for approximately 70 years. That’s the ticket.
They were a play or two away from the Super Bowl? You don't think the Campbell era has been a successful rebuild?

They were a play or two away from the Super Bowl? You don't think the Campbell era has been a successful rebuild?

I think the Lions have gotten significantly better that past few years, but I wouldn’t point to them as the model for building a championship team.

I think the Lions have gotten significantly better that past few years, but I wouldn’t point to them as the model for building a championship team.
Huh?
Solid offensive line drafting got them a play or two away from the SB.

Huh?

I don’t disagree that they have been making good moves, all I said was that I wouldn’t use them for the model for rebuilding. I believe in drafting the franchise QB and building steadily around them.

I did this earlier in the offseason, here is an updated depth chart with the scrubs crossed out and question marks in positions of need.

Currently they have 54 men on the roster and need to get to 90, this assuming Duggar sticks around:

OFFENSE (24)
QB (3) –
?, Jacoby Brissett, Bailey Zappe, Nathan Rourke
LT (2) – ?, Calvin Anderson, Vederian Lowe,
LG (3) – Cole Strange, Michael Jordan, Nick Leverett,
C (2) – David Andrews, Jake Andrews,
RG (2) – Sidy Sow, Antonio Mafi,
RT (3) – Michael Onwenu, Tyrone Wheatley, Andrew Stueber,
TE (2) – Hunter Henry, Austin Hooper,
RB (3) – Rhamondre Stevenson, Antonio Gibson, Kevin Harris,
BIG WR (1)?, Kendrick Bourne,
FAST WR (1) – Tyquan Thornton,
SLOT WR (2) – Demario Douglas, Juju Smith Schuster

DEFENSE (28)
DT (6) –
Christian Barmore, Davon Godchaux, Sam Roberts, Daniel Ekuale, Trysten Hill, ?, Armon Watts,
DE (3) – Keion White, Deatrich Wise, Jeremiah Pharms,
SLB (2) – Matthew Judon, Anfernee Jennings, ?
MLB (5) –
Ja’Whaun Bentley, Josh Uche, Jahlani Tavai, Raekwon McMillan, Calvin Munson
WLB (2) – Sione Takitaki, Joe Giles-Harris, ?
SS (3) –
Kyle Dugger, Jabrill Peppers, Marte Mapu,
FS (1) – ?, Ameer Speed,
BIG CB (3) – Christian Gonzalez, Shaun Wade, Isaiah Bolden, ?,
SLOT CB (3) – Jonathan Jones, Marcus Jones, Marco Wilson,

SPECIAL TEAMS (4)
K (1) –
Chad Ryland, ?
P (1) –
Bryce Baringer,
LS (1) – Joe Cardona,
GUN (1) – Brenden Schooler,

Last edited:
I would like to see some growth in 24’, but ultimately I’m not as concerned with their record next season as I am with them laying the foundation for future success. IMO they have two full offseasons, and a lot of capital to work with, and they can get a lot done with it.
As tempting as it is to trade down, next year is not a strong class for QBs. You get cute this year, and you’ll be stuck in the middle for years.

I wish we had more picks to rebuild, but it’s a super tricky situation up at the top right now.

On the surface, he saves $140K in space. But, another player has to take his spot in the top 51 salaries which is close to $1M (minimum salary). Right now Parker is taking up $6,466,666 and 1 roster spot. After, he'll be taking up $6,300,000 of cap and 0 roster spots. Someone else has to take that roster spot at close to $1M so our cap space goes down when you factor that in.
Good catch. Regrettably the former GM didn't consider that when signing Parker to an extension and so Wolf is trying to make lemonade out of the crap salad left behind.

that depth chart makes me feel physically sick.
Largely fine with the defense. But that WR group and left side of the line cannot stand.

Im okay with a conservative fa. Still think we should give up serious 2025 draft capital for a go to wr as a much better route to filling that. Draft your tackle at 34. Take your qb of the future at 3. Id be very happy with that coupled with us being able to retaining our key players in fa.

Hopefully we can land a fs at least before the draft.

Huh?

Why are youse guys talking about the Lions on a Pats messageboard? Easy answer, because the Lions are aggressivey attacking FA while the Pats are not signing anyone significant.

that depth chart makes me feel physically sick.
Why?

They currently have the most cap space in the league, with a lot of good players left out there in free agency.

They have the 3rd overall pick, and all of their concurrent picks at the top of each round.

They have most starters set and their best free agents back.

They have room to add 35 more players before camp.

The Dolphins and Bills will be weaker, the Jests are jinxed.

Wolf has to keep his foot on the gas.

Last edited:
Why?

They currently have the most cap space in the league with a lot of good players left out there in free agency.

They have the 3rd overall pick, and all of their concurrent picks at the top of each round.

They have most starters set and best free agents back.

They have room to add 35 more players before camp.

The Dolphins and Bills will be weaker, the Jests are jinxed.

Wolf has to keep his foot on the gas.
He has to PUT his foot on the gas, even a little bit, first.

Why are youse guys talking about the Lions on a Pats messageboard? Easy answer, because the Lions are aggressivey attacking FA while the Pats are not signing anyone significant.
Jesus now what are you whining about? God forbid anyone talk about another team that successfully rebuilt itself. I also stated I like what the Patriots have done so far in free agency. The only "miss" to me so far is not landing Ridley and by all accounts they put together a very competitive offer so can't fault them for that one.

He has to PUT his foot on the gas, even a little bit, first.
Onwenu, Jennings, Gibson, Brissett, Takitaki, Uche, Hooper and tagging Duggar were all good to great moves.

Very often the best free agents available are your own. Bring in some more value vet free agents.

Pay Duggar, then draft a QB, LT, and a bunch of weapons with the remaining five picks.

Onwenu, Jennings, Gibson, Brissett, Takitaki, Uche, Hooper and tagging Duggar were all good to great moves.

Very often the best free agents available are your own. Bring in some more value vet free agents.

Pay Duggar, then draft a QB, LT, and a bunch of weapons with the remaining five picks.
Gibson and Brissett were the only moves done outside of signing your own players from a 4-13 team. If the 'best' free agents were from a 4-13 team, there were some incredible, fundamental issues in the organization.

Gibson and Brissett were the only moves done outside of signing your own players from a 4-13 team. If the 'best' free agents were from a 4-13 team, there were some incredible, fundamental issues in the organization.
There's a lot of good/great players still out there in free agency.

There's still the draft.

Lock up your own free agents and build on top of it.

What they're doing so far is smart team building.

They still have to be smart going forward and draft well.

Jesus now what are you whining about? God forbid anyone talk about another team that successfully rebuilt itself. I also stated I like what the Patriots have done so far in free agency. The only "miss" to me so far is not landing Ridley and by all accounts they put together a very competitive offer so can't fault them for that one.

You admit that are smarter than any of the oher posters on PatsFans. Whatever you say must be true because you repeatedly tell us how you know best and how smart you are. Must be great to be such an amazing person.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back