PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Glenn Ordway out at WEEI !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out with the old, in with the new.

Out with the bolt-head mustache is more like it. Maybe he can apply to be a cop with that soup-straining monstrosity. Men who sport mustaches are, for the most part, overly concerned with appearing authoritarian. Most of the time they're dinks.

Men who sport mustaches are, for the most part, overly concerned with appearing authoritarian. Most of the time they're dinks.

Care to rephrase that, kind sir?

Attachments

• shawn-connery-sexy-mustache-335x500.jpg
    shawn-connery-sexy-mustache-335x500.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 94
Ordway was always a fraud and an arrogant blowhard toward callers pre 98.5 but did a 180 afterward and became a kinder phoney. It's one thing to explain why you disagree but Ordway lectured fans as if they were unenlightened dullards and was always "the smartest guy in the room". I laughed listening yesterday as Orday tried to justify his blowhardness as nothing more than entertainemnt. That would be a reasonable justification if his show was...entertaining.

Ordway used to openly mock Bruins' fans and talked about them in the same manner one would talk about WWE fans. Once again that all changed when the Bruins became more competetive and were heavily covered by Felger/98.5. All of a sudden the blowhard fraud became the second coming of Don Cherry.

On a side note I'd worry if I were Holley's co host, first Dale now Ordway...not a good track record of stability being paired up with him.:D

As far as Felger & Mazz I think more people on this board listen to (and like) them than are willing to admit. I like the show despite the fact that I don't agree with everything they say. Rob hit the nail on the head in that the pacing of the show moves it along. Maybe it's personal preference but I like Felger's contraian act as it's entertaining. Also Felger at least will admit when he was proven wrong. Mazz is a baseball snob/mini fraud but his dopey laugh and court jester presence is also rather entertaining.

People throw out the word "Fraud" way too loosely. What does that even mean? To a certain extent, every sports talk show host is a "fraud". Like mentioned earlier, sports talk for the most part is all an act. All of these shows are scripted out. People take sides just to keep the conversation going. How could they do it any other way? It's all an act.

And with the Bruins, I do think that WEEI should have been quicker to realize their rise in popularity but let's not forget how irrelevant the Bruins became in this town from 1995-2009. They had 1 playoff victory in that stretch(14 years!). The NHL was and still is the worst run professional sports league in the world. The Jacobs family ran the franchise into the ground during that period and made them irrelevant. Nobody cared about them and for good reason. At the time when they finally started to figure things out, you had the Pats being the Pats, the Red Sox "monster" was in full force, and the Celtics were relevant again. WEEI had big ties into all three times (rights to Sox/Celts and Patriots Monday). CBS and the sports hub just got incredibly lucky with their timing into the market.

The lack of Bruins coverage in 09-11 did hurt, but that wasn't the reason for WEEI's recent demise. They were stuck in radio hell on the AM dial for way too long, they focused more on the other new england markets with 103.7, they lost touch with the Boston market, and they let underappreciated "talent" get away (Felger, Mazz, etc, etc.).

However, going forward, I think WEEI is in good shape. I know nothing about this new guy and hope he actually is a breath of fresh air and not just a copy of Felger. Changes are definitely needed on D&C. I don't like Toucher and Rich, but they do respect the majority of their callers. Can't say that about D&C all the time. WEEI's biggest asset right now is their website. Writers like Bradford, Alex Speir, Minihane(mini-Felger) Chris Price, DJ Bean offer great insight in their articles and are great on-air guests as well. They need to continue to find better ways to take advantage of that because Sports Hub has nothing in-house that can compare.

Regardless, it truly is amazing how sports dominates this city. We follow our sports radio stations like we follow our sports teams in some respects.

Given that you were claiming Felger and Mazz to be better when they didn't have better ratings, I'll simply say it again and I'll leave it at that:

You know full well that ratings don't tell you who the better host is.

Having spent some time in sports radio myself for a few years, I find this conversation fascinating. I'm curious to know what you think "tells you" who the better host is.

Better host based on 1 person's opinion. Better host based on the public's opinion is what ratings are for.

Care to rephrase that, kind sir?

I purposely put in "most of the time" to exclude men like Connery. I was making a generalization.
On a related note- mustaches are career suicide in Rock. You run the risk of looking like Frank Marino from Mahogany Rush or the bass player from Spinal Tap. (No offense to your pal, Tony Levin. lol.)

A lot of people have a thing about males who sport 'staches like Ordway. It's that personality type which the stoic guy from Parks & Recreation has. It's like the mustache dictates they act that way. In fact, there's a Family Guy sketch about it. Peter Griffin grows one and his whole behavior changes to "Joe Tacky Authoritarian". ehhh haa haa.

Scribe, if you're looking for any sociological commentary in the future, look no further. I got it covered right here.

The powers-that-be at WEEI finally realized something I've been saying for about a decade now:

Ordway is a talented guy, but you could easily get the same ratings from another host at 1/10th the salary and give the new guy 4 weeks of vacation per year instead of 12.

(And that above statement is the literal truth; the new guy will literally be making roughly 1/10th of what Ordway was making).

On a related note- mustaches are career suicide in Rock. You run the risk of looking like Frank Marino from Mahogany Rush or the bass player from Spinal Tap. (No offense to your pal, Tony Levin. lol.)
Yeah, these guys really ended their careers when they released this picture on one of their albums. :rolleyes:

53257157.jpg

Ditto. They pull this b.s. "carrot dangle" swindle all the time to get you to listen to the ads -

At around 48 minutes past the hour, before the go to break, they say,"Your calls coming up all the way until the top of the hour."

What a crock. Know what they give you? Nine or ten additional minutes of commercials and about 2 or 3 minutes of actual calls. What it is in reality is "In the 12 minutes we have until the top of the hour, we're gonna do 75% ads and 25% sports talk, but we're gonna spin it as saying it's 'your calls'."

They wouldn't pull that on WFAN Sportsradio in New York. New Yorkers know b.s. when they hear it.

Two comments:

1) If WEEI is selling 75% of every hour in ad time, that's about as successful a show as has ever been on the airwaves. If true, Big O was printing money for the parent company.

2) WFAN has the biggest blowhard dinosaur since the stegosaurus. Mike Francesa morphed from a hip, knowledgable street smart sportscaster in the 80s into a snoring b.s. Yankee ball-washing machine. He's the one who needs to go. In a million years they'll unearth his bleached bones in some archaeological dig in Central Park and think they found the missing link between Homo Sapiens and Mike Felger, the human douchebag.

I purposely put in "most of the time" to exclude men like Connery. I was making a generalization.

A lot of people have a thing about males who sport 'staches like Ordway. It's that personality type which the stoic guy from Parks & Recreation has. It's like the mustache dictates they act that way. In fact, there's a Family Guy sketch about it. Peter Griffin grows one and his whole behavior changes to "Joe Tacky Authoritarian". ehhh haa haa.

Scribe, if you're looking for any sociological commentary in the future, look no further. I got it covered right here.

I would say the 'stache worked pretty good for these guys as well.
moustache.jpg

ap00101901854.jpg

ap7411290187.jpg

Prince, Santana, David Crosby, Dave Grohl, Lemmy, Ted Nugent, Jim Croce....

Am I the only one who switches back and forth between 98.5 and EEI during their respective ads?:D

People throw out the word "Fraud" way too loosely. What does that even mean? To a certain extent, every sports talk show host is a "fraud". Like mentioned earlier, sports talk for the most part is all an act. All of these shows are scripted out. People take sides just to keep the conversation going. How could they do it any other way? It's all an act.

And with the Bruins, I do think that WEEI should have been quicker to realize their rise in popularity but let's not forget how irrelevant the Bruins became in this town from 1995-2009. They had 1 playoff victory in that stretch(14 years!). The NHL was and still is the worst run professional sports league in the world. The Jacobs family ran the franchise into the ground during that period and made them irrelevant. Nobody cared about them and for good reason. At the time when they finally started to figure things out, you had the Pats being the Pats, the Red Sox "monster" was in full force, and the Celtics were relevant again. WEEI had big ties into all three times (rights to Sox/Celts and Patriots Monday). CBS and the sports hub just got incredibly lucky with their timing into the market.

The lack of Bruins coverage in 09-11 did hurt, but that wasn't the reason for WEEI's recent demise. They were stuck in radio hell on the AM dial for way too long, they focused more on the other new england markets with 103.7, they lost touch with the Boston market, and they let underappreciated "talent" get away (Felger, Mazz, etc, etc.).

However, going forward, I think WEEI is in good shape. I know nothing about this new guy and hope he actually is a breath of fresh air and not just a copy of Felger. Changes are definitely needed on D&C. I don't like Toucher and Rich, but they do respect the majority of their callers. Can't say that about D&C all the time. WEEI's biggest asset right now is their website. Writers like Bradford, Alex Speir, Minihane(mini-Felger) Chris Price, DJ Bean offer great insight in their articles and are great on-air guests as well. They need to continue to find better ways to take advantage of that because Sports Hub has nothing in-house that can compare.

Regardless, it truly is amazing how sports dominates this city. We follow our sports radio stations like we follow our sports teams in some respects.

My first post on this board, I thought this thread would be a great place for me to come in. I respectfully disagree with this post, I think as the last 4-5 years have shown there was always a huge market for the Bruins in this town, EEI just always ignored them. Not cuz they were irrelevant but because they had no ties to the B's like they did the Sox. They got away with it because they where the only show in town, but as we seen the last 2-3 years its killed them.

WEEI and them "being in bed" with the Red Sox is what dug them in this hole. They cashed in during the "idiot years" but they completely ignored the Bruins and Celtics fanbase, and even the Pats fan base to a lesser extent. They forced Sox talk down viewers throats those years, even when the Pats were making historic runs, winning Super Bowls, going undefeated etc. They lost touch with their viewers. The Sports Hub came in and gave Boston sports fans a platform to talk, esp the football and hockey fans. Not just the usual Sox nut hugging that happens in EEI. I dont think its a coincedence that intrests in the Red Sox have been down since 98.5 came on board. EEI was way to late to react to the change, fans arent buying their BS no more.

Welcome to the board!

My first post on this board, I thought this thread would be a great place for me to come in. I respectfully disagree with this post, I think as the last 4-5 years have shown there was always a huge market for the Bruins in this town, EEI just always ignored them. Not cuz they were irrelevant but because they had no ties to the B's like they did the Sox. They got away with it because they where the only show in town, but as we seen the last 2-3 years its killed them.

WEEI and them "being in bed" with the Red Sox is what dug them in this hole. They cashed in during the "idiot years" but they completely ignored the Bruins and Celtics fanbase, and even the Pats fan base to a lesser extent. They forced Sox talk down viewers throats those years, even when the Pats were making historic runs, winning Super Bowls, going undefeated etc. They lost touch with their viewers. The Sports Hub came in and gave Boston sports fans a platform to talk, esp the football and hockey fans. Not just the usual Sox nut hugging that happens in EEI. I dont think its a coincedence that intrests in the Red Sox have been down since 98.5 came on board. EEI was way to late to react to the change, fans arent buying their BS no more.

Welcome to the board. I like how you use "respectfully disagree" and "nut hugging" in the same post. I need to check with the archivist, but I doubt that's ever been done in a maiden post.

I would say the 'stache worked pretty good for these guys as well.
moustache.jpg

ap00101901854.jpg

ap7411290187.jpg

Prince, Santana, David Crosby, Dave Grohl, Lemmy, Ted Nugent, Jim Croce....

I'll take these in order -
To the earlier Beatles Sergeant Pepper period mustaches - The Beatles were already well established by then. That's a case of image tweaking in order not to not wear out the original mop top formula. They would never happened in the beginning had they showed up on the scene singing "She Loves You" with freaking mustaches. The chicks woulda stayed away in droves.
Same goes for the latter pics of Prince, Freddy Mercury, & Dave Grohl. All 3 of their mustaches are again, image variation after the original clean shaven look that had broken them big. None would've initially happened if they came through the record company door with a mustache.
And in Dave Grohl's case, that's not a mustache, per se. It's a hipster FAUX stache. If you're familiar with the term, it's a joke mustache worn by someone who normally wouldn't wear one. It's more of a "Hey, check my mustache out. Don'tcha think it's strange for someone with my personality to be sporting one?"
That's the deal behind Grohl's. His is more of the Hipster Fauxstache social statement.
And again, Nirvana wouldn't have happened if they had Mustaches. Grunge Goatees? Yes. Mustaches? No. And don't even think of bringing up Chris Cornell.
Google Kurt Cobain's "Mr. Mustache" song & comic strip and maybe you'll find out his opinion on mustaches.
And again, Groh's Foo Fighters wouldn't have happened without Nirvana. I shudder at even putting the two in the same sentence.

Lastly, you gave me pics of Zappa & Lemmy. Those have gotta be two of the ugliest males who ever made it in Rock. Zappa & Lemmy have mustaches to cover ther ugly faces. Know who listens to Zappa? Nerdy guys who can't get laid. And Motorhead? Uneducated lower class boltheads.
Both of them fall under the Frank Marino/Spinal Tap social suicide category.

And Jim Croce isn't Rock.

And ya gotta be a dink in the first place to give micro examples which are exceptions to the rule when it's obvious someone else is purposely making a broad generality in a large category. Ya think those above musicians didn't come to mind when I was making my original point? Of course they did, Einstein. Duh.

I stand by my original point of mustaches looking out of place on Rock Star's faces. All in all, NOT a good look. Oh, excuse me. Maybe I should make it more numerically accurate...

Okay, mustaches look like garbage on NINETY NINE POINT NINE PERCENT of Rock Star's faces. There. Ya feel placated now???
It's like one person saying "The Patriots defense is horrible." Then another person saying "Did you not see the strip sack the week before last?"
It's called "making generalities", you fricking ding bats.
Mustaches blow. There's yer generalit.y right there
On Tom Selleck? NO. On MOST males? YES... and ESPECIALLY those in the Rock music field.

Tell you what, run a small indie record label in a major city for 15 years, then you can talk to me. (or run a Progressive Rock magazine. Tunescribe is the only one I know of around here who's qualified to speak to me on this matter. Why did I talk sociology on a freaking football fan board anyway? I guess you could say it's the same concept as Grohl's fauxstache. lol.)

Lastly, back to what triggered this essay in the first place...

Glen Ordway looks like a total lunchpail-toting tard with that gross mustache. But hey, sportsradio is the perfect place for males like that. Maybe they could replace him with the mustached curmudgeon from Parks & Recreation. Same type of guy.

Good riddance.

To the earlier Beatles Sergeant Pepper period mustaches............................ Maybe they could replace him with the mustached curmudgeon from Parks & Recreation. Same type of guy. Good riddance.

Reveling in the fact Ordway was canned due to your dislike of his moustache is pretty strange, to me at least.

He was on the radio.:eek:

To the earlier Beatles Sergeant Pepper period mustaches - The Beatles were already well established by then. That's a case of image tweaking in order not to not wear out the original mop top formula. They would never happened in the beginning had they showed up on the scene singing "She Loves You" with freaking mustaches. The chicks woulda stayed away in droves.
Same goes for the latter pics of Prince, Freddy Mercury, & Dave Grohl. All 3 of their mustaches are again, image variation after the original clean shaven look that had broken them big. None would've initially happened if they came through the record company door with a mustache.
And in Dave Grohl's case, that's not a mustache, per se. It's a hipster FAUX stache. If you're familiar with the term, it's a joke mustache worn by someone who normally wouldn't wear one. It's more of a "Hey, check my mustache out. Don'tcha think it's strange for someone with my personality to be sporting one?"
That's the deal behind Grohl's. His is more of the Hipster Fauxstache social statement.
And again, Nirvana wouldn't have happened if they had Mustaches. Grunge Goatees? Yes. Mustaches? No. And don't even think of bringing up Chris Cornell.
Google Kurt Cobain's "Mr. Mustache" song & comic strip and maybe you'll find out his opinion on mustaches.
And again, Groh's Foo Fighters wouldn't have happened without Nirvana. I shudder at even putting the two in the same sentence.

Lastly, you gave me pics of Zappa & Lemmy. Those have gotta be two of the ugliest males who ever made it in Rock. Zappa & Lemmy have mustaches to cover ther ugly faces. Know who listens to Zappa? Nerdy guys who can't get laid. And Motorhead? Uneducated lower class boltheads.
Both of them fall under the Frank Marino/Spinal Tap social suicide category.

And Jim Croce isn't Rock.

And ya gotta be a dink in the first place to give micro examples which are exceptions to the rule when it's obvious someone else is purposely making a broad generality in a large category. Ya think those above musicians didn't come to mind when I was making my original point? Of course they did, Einstein. Duh.

I stand by my original point of mustaches looking out of place on Rock Star's faces. All in all, NOT a good look. Oh, excuse me. Maybe I should make it more numerically accurate...

Okay, mustaches look like garbage on NINETY NINE POINT NINE PERCENT of Rock Star's faces. There. Ya feel placated now???
It's like one person saying "The Patriots defense is horrible." Then another person saying "Did you not see the strip sack the week before last?"
It's called "making generalities", you fricking ding bats.
Mustaches blow. There's yer generalit.y right there
On Tom Selleck? NO. On MOST males? YES... and ESPECIALLY those in the Rock music field.

Tell you what, run a small indie record label in a major city for 15 years, then you can talk to me. (or run a Progressive Rock magazine. Tunescribe is the only one I know of around here who's qualified to speak to me on this matter. Why did I talk sociology on a freaking football fan board anyway? I guess you could say it's the same concept as Grohl's fauxstache. lol.)

Lastly, back to what triggered this essay in the first place...

Glen Ordway looks like a total lunchpail-toting tard with that gross mustache. But hey, sportsradio is the perfect place for males like that. Maybe they could replace him with the mustached curmudgeon from Parks & Recreation. Same type of guy.

Good riddance.

Stock%20Index%20Up.png

ts-funny-pictures-poo-head-099-291x300.jpg

They forced Sox talk down viewers throats those years, even when the Pats were making historic runs, winning Super Bowls, going undefeated etc. They lost touch with their viewers. The Sports Hub came in and gave Boston sports fans a platform to talk, esp the football and hockey fans. Not just the usual Sox nut hugging that happens in EEI. I dont think its a coincedence that intrests in the Red Sox have been down since 98.5 came on board. EEI was way to late to react to the change, fans arent buying their BS no more.

Without question, WEEI's commercial interests have artificially driven Red Sox "demand" for years.

Stock%20Index%20Up.png

ts-funny-pictures-poo-head-099-291x300.jpg

Yer just peeved after I caught you on a "pot calling the kettle black" deal. Chastise me for speaking on a subject you deem taboo then I see you fondly reminiscing about your partaking in the exact same subject a few weeks later.
Sure, my above mustache post is indeed *****-head-ish (albeit 100% accurate) but at least I'm not a hypocrite. I'm just one who's knowledgeable at his/her chosen profession and doesn't suffer novices very well.

I have to say the 2003 Patriots season still sticks in my craw with WEEI. They went directly from Red Sox playoff talk to endless talk about the potential trade of ARod to the Sox (which obiviously never happened). I know it would have been a blockbuster trade if it happened, but they just continued to rehash the same news stories over and over again totally ignoring the fact the Pats were on a 14-2 run and the best team in football.

It was like:

"Well, it has been two weeks since any new news on the potential trade of ARod to the Sox. Which means we have a lot of ARod trade rumor talk to talk about for the entire show. Oh, BTW, the Pats are 11-2 and can lock up homefield advantage this weekend. Stay tuned to 5:40 and we'll try to squeeze in a solid two minutes of in depth Patriots talk before we stoke up the Whiner Line."

Seriously, the hosts were almost shocked that the Pats went 14-2 that season with the way they ignored the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes