PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio Rips NFL Response to Mortensen Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Tough for me to disagree:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nsistent-reactions-to-erroneous-espn-reports/

The disparity between today’s rapid-fire disagreement with Schefter’s procedural nuance and January’s silence in response to Mortensen’s critical factual assertion is stunning. And it lends credence to the belief that the NFL deliberately leaked false information in order to pin the Patriots against ropes that simply weren’t there.

If Aiello or anyone else from the NFL had responded swiftly to Mortensen’s erroneous report with the true numbers, which were measured by two significantly conflicting pressure gauges, the Patriots would have been able to shout down the readings by explaining the application of the Ideal Gas Law, the mainstream news media never would have paid serious attention to the situation, and Ted Wells never would have been called in to conduct an investigation that by all appearances was aimed at reaching a predetermined result.

The failure to rebut Mortensen’s report therefore bolsters the idea the entire episode was indeed orchestrated to catch the Patriots doing something, even if it’s still not clear what they did.

Damn, hadn't even considered that comparison. He makes a good point though.

Make no mistake, Florio is only beating this drum because he wants credit for his report on the real PSI readings he gave back in January. He never got credit even when Mort's report was proven to be false. If the NFL was using his stats and report to base their lies around he'd be just fine since he is no friend to the Pats. But I guess we need any ally we can get so it's good he's being loud about this, even if for his own reasons.

He makes a very good point. To my mind, the NFL hoped that they could make something stick, and have it over with quickly, but the longer it dragged on, the more people started to question what was really going on. After they peeked behind the curtain and found that the Great Oz was manipulating the message, then the tide started turning, and now Goodell and his thug monkies are having to tap dance while trying to figure out a way to exit with some semblance of the pride still intact.

Make no mistake, Florio is only beating this drum because he wants credit for his report on the real PSI readings he gave back in January. He never got credit even when Mort's report was proven to be false. If the NFL was using his stats to base their lies around he'd be just fine since he is no friend to the Pats. But I guess we need an ally we can get.

As the old saying goes "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". I'll take help wherever I can get it in these types of situations.

mort still hasn't said anything. ****ing ******* he is.
same with old man polian.

There's really no incentive for him to. He's better off just waiting until this all blow over. His worst case scenario is that people care enough to remember that he had the wrong story in the first place, and it's only in the last couple days that it's looked like that was any real kind of possibility.

As the old saying goes "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". I'll take help wherever I can get it in these types of situations.

I hope you're right, but I'm still skeptical. IMO, these guys think the rules don't apply to them and they just do whatever they want. Even when they're told to **** off in federal court, they still basically just do what they want (AP case).

There's really no incentive for him to. He's better off just waiting until this all blow over. His worst case scenario is that people care enough to remember that he had the wrong story in the first place, and it's only in the last couple days that it's looked like that was any real kind of possibility.

mort does tons of interviews....nobody has asked him about his bogus report.
maybe one of the boston shows will ask.

Yes the tide has turned. Those that thought Brady was guilty, still think he might be guilty but should just be fined for being unco-operative. Even if he is innocent, they think he should take one for the team and not drag this out.

Anyone remember how mort said there was growing disconnect between the pats and brady after the KC game or some sort of words like that?

mort does tons of interviews....nobody has asked him about his bogus report.
maybe one of the boston shows will ask.

I'm sure Felger and Mazz will get right on that ;)

Seriously, though, if Mortensen appears on any of the local stations, I wouldn't be surprised if there were pre-interview guidelines that that topic won't be brought up. Or if it does, it will only be mentioned briefly in a "that was unfortunate/sometimes you get burned by a source" framework.

Regarding Florio's article, it was nice that the league handed him a great example of them promptly setting things straight today compared to January. Just following this story, though, there have been other examples of that. Last month, there was a report that Goodell rejected the request to recuse himself from this appeal hearing. Aiello issued a statement the same day saying that a decision had not yet been made. The league also contacted Michael Hurley to correct his story about the Jets fan who runs the NFL social media dept being responsible for the "PSI" tweet about Andrew Luck. And that was just on this subject, I'm sure there are more examples out there.

The pattern is, though, when there is incorrect information reported, the NFL normally issues a correction pretty quickly. Looking back at Mortensen's original report, it does have a quote from Aiello in it: "We are not commenting at this time." I think the bigger issue that needs to be investigated is why did the NFL remain silent (silent after leaking false information, that is) in this situation. I get that they thought the Patriots were guilty and they thought they had proof, but I'm having a tough time coming up for a reason for their actions other than they wanted to distract the team from their Super Bowl preparations.

I'm sure Felger and Mazz will get right on that ;)

Seriously, though, if Mortensen appears on any of the local stations, I wouldn't be surprised if there were pre-interview guidelines that that topic won't be brought up. Or if it does, it will only be mentioned briefly in a "that was unfortunate/sometimes you get burned by a source" framework.

Regarding Florio's article, it was nice that the league handed him a great example of them promptly setting things straight today compared to January. Just following this story, though, there have been other examples of that. Last month, there was a report that Goodell rejected the request to recuse himself from this appeal hearing. Aiello issued a statement the same day saying that a decision had not yet been made. The league also contacted Michael Hurley to correct his story about the Jets fan who runs the NFL social media dept being responsible for the "PSI" tweet about Andrew Luck. And that was just on this subject, I'm sure there are more examples out there.

The pattern is, though, when there is incorrect information reported, the NFL normally issues a correction pretty quickly. Looking back at Mortensen's original report, it does have a quote from Aiello in it: "We are not commenting at this time." I think the bigger issue that needs to be investigated is why did the NFL remain silent (silent after leaking false information, that is) in this situation. I get that they thought the Patriots were guilty and they thought they had proof, but I'm having a tough time coming up for a reason for their actions other than they wanted to distract the team from their Super Bowl preparations.
You answered your own question, the NYFL was probably pissed the Pats were in the super bowl and acted like 4 year olds that had their binky taken away, problem is these are grown men in position of power abusing it. These are the guys BK has a problem with, not sure what he and the ommissioner talked about that night they hugged but I would love to have been a fly on the wall.

As I mentioned yesterday THIS is the Holy Grail in the entire case.

The NFL deliberately propogated misinformation via Mortensen with PSi readings they KNEW were false.

Not only did they propogate it to the public via Mortensen, the Gardi letter did so directly to the Patriots and precipitated the Thursday January 22 press conferences by Belichick and a very nervous Brady.

Please remember, the NFL knowingly provided false PSi allegations to the Patriots at a time when the team was preparing for the Super Bowl. Belichick and several personnel had to redirect their efforts for several critical days to defend themselves. This is malfeasance.

The entire frameup can be proven irrefutably by this orchestrated misinformation.

Game. Set. Match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back