PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flores fired

He was extremely successful in beating his former boss, not the feat of many who left NE before him. But he was not that much successful beyond that.
He moved the Dolphins from "joke" to "fringe contender." I'd call that pretty successful. Miami probably made a mistake by canning him. They're going to take a nap in the basement for a few years while they realize the difference between incremental improvement and failure.

If I'm the head coach of a team that needs a bit of structure and discipline to take the next step I bring in a guy like Flores and pair him with a veteran OC.

BTW who else thinks that the single biggest reason Flores is out in Miami is because they think they'd be a frontrunner for Pete Carroll when/if he leaves Seattle?

Frankly I don't see Carroll touching that situation with a 10' 3/4" pole. The field product looks exciting but the front office is toxic. Same problem with getting anyone to willingly coach the Bears or Jags.

if I'm Carroll and I'm not retiring I take a look at Denver or Oakland before even taking a phone call from a South Florida number.

I disagree somewhat. The team played materially differently in style under Patricia and Flores, with consequences going into personnel. As each moved on into HC positions, watching both the Patricia Lions and the Flores Dolphins reminded you of their respective stamps as Patriots HC. Flores hyperaggressive, Patricia ultraconservative. I don't think the Philly Super Bowl happens under Flores' watch, and I don't think the Rams Super Bowl happens under Patricia's watch.

It's interesting to see the Pats D play wildly different week to week. I think Steve Belichick likes the aggressive press man cover-1, and then Patricia comes in every now and then with the crappy soft zone suggestions. But it's also because Jon Jones is hurt.

He moved the Dolphins from "joke" to "fringe contender." I'd call that pretty successful. Miami probably made a mistake by canning him. They're going to take a nap in the basement for a few years while they realize the difference between incremental improvement and failure.

If I'm the head coach of a team that needs a bit of structure and discipline to take the next step I bring in a guy like Flores and pair him with a veteran OC.

Flores was the only Dolphins coach to sweep the Pats in the last 20 years. Good move for the Pats that the Dolphins owner did something dumb. Sucks for Flores though considering somehow Joe Judge still has a job

BTW who else thinks that the single biggest reason Flores is out in Miami is because they think they'd be a frontrunner for Pete Carroll when/if he leaves Seattle?

Frankly I don't see Carroll touching that situation with a 10' 3/4" pole. The field product looks exciting but the front office is toxic. Same problem with getting anyone to willingly coach the Bears or Jags.

if I'm Carroll and I'm not retiring I take a look at Denver or Oakland before even taking a phone call from a South Florida number.
Is Carroll going to want to start over somewhere else at his age? He's older than Belichick even though he looks ready to run a half marathon tomorrow.

He's been through multiple offensive coordinators and still hadn't settled on anyone. The team goes hot/cold more than a well coached team should. And even if he's right, Flores is at odds with his GM and QB.

It's not just wins and losses. Miami has a ton of talent.

I think Miami should have committed more to Flores once hired. But BF didn't do the best job of managing the situation he was in.

Like Bill learned with the press in Cleveland, all of this is part of being a head coach. Flores should be more ready next time.

BL probably has more to learn in the way of people skills, but his coaching skills are unquestionable as is his strategy and in-game management.

And yeah, of course he's at odds with Grier. Grier does what Grier wants to do, including drafting Tua. BL was reportedly high on Herbert and quite thankfully for us, he got overruled.

Miami was a losing situation, no matter what. There was no way Grier was going to try to accommodate BL, just as Grier refused to accommodate the vision of any of the coaches that have come through there. Ross, meanwhile continues to have his head up his ass and probably spends all of five minutes a day on team matters.

BL probably has more to learn in the way of people skills, but his coaching skills are unquestionable as is his strategy and in-game management.

For me that is the definition of the difference between a top coordinator and head coach.

For me that is the definition of the difference between a top coordinator and head coach.

The prior is a learned skill, the latter is a talent that can't be taught.

I'd rather have an ******* of a HC that does what it takes to win.

You're correct, but I was more implying that Tua cried to daddy GM, who then would pressure. My wording didn't make that clear, though.

Or maybe you think your point still stands even in that scenario. In which case, how do you mean? Is that a point where an HC is expected to stand their ground? Genuinely asking, since I've watched a team with BB as both HC/GM at the helm, I'm fairly unfamiliar with the HC to GM dynamic.
Of course there is. What kind of leadership and control do you have if a mediocre QB can whine (and by the way this is not even rumored it was just made up from thin air) about the OC 2 years in a row and the HC fires him?
Why hire him if you don’t believe in him and why fire him if you do?

Just to put this in context, the Pats lost to Miami last night for the first time we’ve been swept ever by them.

Despite that, today Miami fans are distraught and Pats fans are jumping up and down because they don’t have to deal with Flores in Miami for years

You mean thats the first time swept by the Fins under Belichick...

Last edited:
Wish we could get Flo back but it ain’t happening. Some other team will snag him as a coordinator.

There's probably a head coach in Houston who's started to sweat things out because of this.

May they suffer many years of misfortune…

Last edited:
This is why the dolphins struggle. Flores is a top head coach. Hasn’t had a lot to work with but that dolphin team has improved every year with him at the helm even with their bad start this season.
Ludicrous they sacked him. He will be a head coach again. Texans, Bears, I’d say would be interested

This is why the dolphins struggle. Flores is a top head coach. Hasn’t had a lot to work with but that dolphin team has improved every year with him at the helm even with their bad start this season.
Ludicrous they sacked him. He will be a head coach again. Texans, Bears, I’d say would be interested
I'm not sure Flo is a top HC but he absolutely didn't deserve to be fired.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back