PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Falcons open to trading the number 4 pick.

How do we know that Bill tried to trade up for Mayfield?

Btw, I've never been wrong about a Belichick draft pick.

I never make a guess. :)
several articles at the time suggested it. here is one

It seems like there was a huge QB drought for a while (or the ones that were good like Luck and RG3 had their careers ruined by external factors). If you look at the current "elite" QBs, they're all either extremely old or extremely young, with Russell Wilson being maybe the only exception (and he was not a first round pick, though in this post-Kyler Murray world he probably would be now).

Not sure if that means it's not a good idea to take a first round QB considering recent drafts have seen more success stories. There's a reason the cutoff was 2016 in your stat.
Maybe because any QB taken in the first round of 2016 or later is still on a rookie deal.

Without having to go back and look at your posts. You seem to be Fields biggest fan and biggest supporter on this board. In your opinion, since you’ve watched every game of his. What is his ceiling? What would the Patriots have to run to make him succesfull here? It’s not uncommon for college qb’s to hit their first read, what do you say to the people that claim he can’t check down to his 2nd, 3rd and 4th? I’d like to see your big write up on him. Don’t think a lot of Pats fans know where to begin on armchair scouting qb’s because frankly, we havent had to for 20 years. I do find him to be an intriguing prospect. Especially after the pro day he just had with the 4.4 speed.
I will do this at some point.

Maybe because any QB taken in the first round of 2016 or later is still on a rookie deal.
I kind of agree. I think it's less about that and more about these young QBs not having played long enough to make themselves look worse (which usually does happen).

The ONLY thing that matters is McDaniel's and BB's assessment of the QB they would like to draft. Nothing else matters, including how many QB's were selected before the one they choose or the media's assessment or anyone on this board's assessment. It certainly does not matter how many QB's taken in the first round over the past 5 years are still with the team.

It is really all about how confident MNcDaniels and BB are in the fit on the patriots in their offense for the QB they are targeting.

There may be a QB who is an amazing fit for another team but not for the Patriots. This is the way BB has always operated.

The ONLY thing that matters is McDaniel's and BB's assessment of the QB they would like to draft. Nothing else matters, including how many QB's were selected before the one they choose or the media's assessment or anyone on this board's assessment. It certainly does not matter how many QB's taken in the first round over the past 5 years are still with the team.

It is really all about how confident MNcDaniels and BB are in the fit on the patriots in their offense for the QB they are targeting.

There may be a QB who is an amazing fit for another team but not for the Patriots. This is the way BB has always operated.
One other thing matters. Need.

How many teams, other than the Patriots, have consistently been a challenger for the Lombardi?
SF had a run nearly as long as the Patriots. Pittsburgh had an 8 year run and, while suffering down times in between the highs, has had multiple runs since then (6 years in the 90's, most of the 2000s. Dallas had an even longer run, from the 60s into the mid 80s.

Those are generally the franchises looked at, though they are obviously not the only ones that fit the bill.

Sad thing is they could make one about us as well.
Patriots trade up for Chad Jackson
Patriots select Harry
Patriots select Sony Michel
Patriots select Laurence Maroney
Patriots select Brandon Tate
Patriots select Shawn Crable
Patriots select Jordan Richards
Patriots select Bethel Johnson
Patriots select Duron Harmon
Patriots select Ras I dowling
Patriots select Dominique Easley
Patriots trade up for JoeJuan Williams
Patriots select I mean we can keep on going.

Duron Harmon was a great pick

Nothing wrong with the Sony Michel pick, it's just that people are torturing themselves with constantly comparing him to Chubb

Bethel Johnson had his moments, but I agree was taken too high at #45 overall

Jury is still out on JoeJuan Williams, but the rest i can't argue with

You left out some other gems tho;
Jermaine Cunningham
Duke Dawson
Cyrus Jones
Aaron Dobson
Tavon Wilson
Ron Brace
Terrence Wheatley
Marquise Hill

etc

Last edited:
One other thing matters. Need.
Need should not require Belichick to draft someone that he and Josh don't think can fit in with the patriots.

If we are willing to give 2 first and other picks for a quarterback, there are teams that might part with a quarterback at that price.

It doesn't make much sense to spend 3 or 4 picks for someone that they don't want when they could use fewer picks to trade for a quarterback.
==========
MY conclusion is that Bill and Josh like a couple of the top 5 quarterbacks (in addition to Lawrence).

Need should not require Belichick to draft someone that he and Josh don't think can fit in with the patriots.

If we are willing to give 2 first and other picks for a quarterback, there are teams that might part with a quarterback at that price.

It doesn't make much sense to spend 3 or 4 picks for someone that they don't want when they could use fewer picks to trade for a quarterback.
==========
MY conclusion is that Bill and Josh like a couple of the top 5 quarterbacks (in addition to Lawrence).
I didn’t say draft need if it’s a crappy player. I said need is a factor.

I didn’t say draft need if it’s a crappy player. I said need is a factor.
This is really still a debate? Belichick himself even admitted that need is factored into every draft.

This is really still a debate? Belichick himself even admitted that need is factored into every draft.

Is someone here still pretending it's not?

SF had a run nearly as long as the Patriots. Pittsburgh had an 8 year run and, while suffering down times in between the highs, has had multiple runs since then (6 years in the 90's, most of the 2000s. Dallas had an even longer run, from the 60s into the mid 80s.

Those are generally the franchises looked at, though they are obviously not the only ones that fit the bill.
Jeez Deus I threw you a softball and you come up with that? Post salary cap it doesn’t matter, unless you have Brady you aren’t competing year in year out for a super bowl. Perhaps one could argue Pittsburg. But there is no one else.

At this point things look like this to me:

-SF says Jimmy is "not for sale"
-SF trades for #3 pick
-SF says, well maybe he's for sale, but only for a 1st rounder
-NE says, meh, I'll just draft Mac Jones
-SF leaks NO, they want Mac Jones! So you need to trade your 1st for Jimmy!
-NE says, meh, maybe I'll trade up to 4 for Fields
-SF leaks NO, they might actually want Fields instead! So you can't have him! Give us your 1st!

IMO Bill doesn't intend to trade up for a QB at all and is just gonna draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd, but is playing the same game SF is playing. Funny thing is they keep running into each other at these pro days...

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back