PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Falcons open to trading the number 4 pick.

It makes ZERO difference how a qb is rated in this draft by pundits and media. It only matters how the pats rate them. If they love any of the qbs and they are available, try to trade up for them if they do not love them hit the ignore button

Not as cut and dry as Metcalf and Brown over Harry. That one is going to sting forever. It was so blatantly obvious.

Ok, now show us your posts from days 1 and 2 of that draft stating that in real time. It’s easy for all of us to kill it as “draft experts” two years later.

It clearly wasn’t “so blatantly obvious” to most of the GMs in the league that Metcalf should have been taken before Harry, given where Metcalf was picked. The Seahawks passed on him twice before pulling the trigger. If the Pats hadn’t taken Harry at 32, he likely would have been gone by 33 to AZ and most teams would have drafted him well before 64. Harry was expected to go anywhere from late 1st to mid 2nd.

Can anyone say that Fields and Lance are that much better than Mond?

i do not think there is much difference between them.

the gap between Lawrence and Wilson is huge. Lawrence is the penthouse of the Empire State Building. Wilson is on floor 2.

the gap between Wilson and Jones, fields, lance, mond, mills and trask is one floor.

Random comment: always over-reach for a QB if you don't have one...never do the same for other positions

How do we know who will be the 4th best QB in this unusual reputed year of the QB? In 1983, the Pats took Eason with pick #15 in the first round while Marino went to the Dolphins as the theoretically 6th best QB at pick 27. Elway and Kelly made the HOF at the top of that. Many other excellent quarterbacks, including he who shall not be named, were found in later rounds. Rogers and Brees, in other years, made it to the bottom of the first round. Despite draft miscues in recent years, Dolla Bill has a 20 years track record of making good draft picks.

Trade up, stay put or trade down? It's too soon to write Stidham off. However, quality competition for him will better identify Cam's successor. Who the Pats like best from among the available draft options is what matters. Pick a hyped prospect of a sneaky sleeper? Whatever they do in this draft will probably be more interesting than in many other drafts when there was no imperative to draft a QB within the first 3 rounds.

I agree and nice post. But then the takeaway is , don't bet the farm to move up for pick#4. As you noted, multiple great QBs slid and who's the say the 4th guy is better than the 7th guy.

Ok, now show us your posts from days 1 and 2 of that draft stating that in real time. It’s easy for all of us to kill it as “draft experts” two years later.

It clearly wasn’t “so blatantly obvious” to most of the GMs in the league that Metcalf should have been taken before Harry, given where Metcalf was picked. The Seahawks passed on him twice before pulling the trigger. If the Pats hadn’t taken Harry at 32, he likely would have been gone by 33 to AZ and most teams would have drafted him well before 64. Harry was expected to go anywhere from late 1st to mid 2nd.
Dexter Lawrence DT Clemson
Irv Smith TE Alabama
JC Sternberger TE Texas A&M
Hunter Renfrow WR Clemson
Deebo Samuel WR South Carolina
AJ Brown WR Ole Miss
Christian Miller DE/LB Alabama
Chase Winovich DE/LB Michigan
Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio ST
Chris Lindstrom G/OT Boston College
Jonathan Ledbetter DE Georgia
Amani Hooker S Iowa

Obviously I’m no NFL scout but I do play a pretty mean draft game once in awhile. :) that 2019 was one of my best.

Sometimes it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out the eye test when it comes to evaluating talent. Big props to Manxman who is probably the best armchair when it comes to evaluating wr’s. His write ups are amazing when he is in the zone. I’ve learned a ton reading his stuff over the years.

Dk Metcalf wasn’t there because he was a top 15 ranked prospect and I was trying to win the damn contest. Didn’t think Pats had a shot at him. However I do begrudge after so many teams passed on him that something was up. I’m assuming possibly his medical on his neck or a lack of a true route tree. Turns out everyone was wrong.

Last edited:
Random comment: always over-reach for a QB if you don't have one...never do the same for other positions
I believe that sometimes we need to "over-reach" for a LT if we don't have one.

Dk Metcalf wasn’t there because he was a top 15 ranked prospect and I was trying to win the damn contest. Didn’t think Pats had a shot at him. However I do begrudge after so many teams passed on him that something was up. I’m assuming possibly his medical on his neck or a lack of a true route tree. Turns out everyone was wrong.
His embarrassing 3-cone of 7.38 (Brady’s was 7.2) probably scared teams away as well.

No use rehashing the past, other than to fine-tune our amateur scouting, but you can find many posts from me clamoring for a trade up for Metcalf. I also wanted Maclaurin. I thought they were the most prototypical X and Z receivers I'd seen in awhile. And before anyone complains that Metcalf would be running different routes here: Harry was used almost exclusively on fades, slants, and hitches (plus the occasional screen or end around) in his rookie year, which is where Metcalf excels. He's also become pretty good downfield -- just like his college years.

Ah well.

Michel vs Chubb stings less, because at the time, Michel was the better blocker, pass-catcher, and big play threat. Chubb has obviously outplayed him, but at the time of the draft they were neck and neck, and preferring one over the other depended on stylistic preference. Chubb has been great, but remember his two fumbles against us? Imagine the outrage if we'd taken him and he'd fumbled against KC, losing a narrow OT win. It could be better . . . could be worse!

My dark horse team to trade up to #4 is the team that has no name. I heard they love Lance!
I don't consider WASH as a darkhorse to move up to 4 or 5. I think that they are very likely to try (along with us, DEN, CHI and perhaps even CAR.

His embarrassing 3-cone of 7.38 (Brady’s was 7.2) probably scared teams away as well.

3 cones aren’t everything. Read this study a while back. Interesting read, but also not 100% because we all know the draft is not an exact science. I liked some of it basing 3 yr avg vs pick in the draft. Wr’s are very hard to predict depending on how the team is using their info on such player.

Obviously I’m no NFL scout but I do play a pretty mean draft game once in awhile. :) that 2019 was one of my best.

Sometimes it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out the eye test when it comes to evaluating talent. Big props to Manxman who is probably the best armchair when it comes to evaluating wr’s. His write ups are amazing when he is in the zone. I’ve learned a ton reading his stuff over the years.

Unfortunately for you, I have receipts too.
5A6CBF10-E3C0-4A4A-A811-DB1E43EFBEE0.jpeg

I agree about Manxman, and you seemed to agree with his point here in the “What you would have done?” thread.

90E717AB-6A6D-458A-A303-CB6E65DDB230.jpeg
So you considered Metcalf at top 15 pick and a “blatantly obvious” choice over Harry at 32 but you would have traded up two picks for Andy Isabella, with DK still available?

1618179521678.gif

No use rehashing the past, other than to fine-tune our amateur scouting, but you can find many posts from me clamoring for a trade up for Metcalf. I also wanted Maclaurin. I thought they were the most prototypical X and Z receivers I'd seen in awhile. And before anyone complains that Metcalf would be running different routes here: Harry was used almost exclusively on fades, slants, and hitches (plus the occasional screen or end around) in his rookie year, which is where Metcalf excels. He's also become pretty good downfield -- just like his college years.

Ah well.

Michel vs Chubb stings less, because at the time, Michel was the better blocker, pass-catcher, and big play threat. Chubb has obviously outplayed him, but at the time of the draft they were neck and neck, and preferring one over the other depended on stylistic preference. Chubb has been great, but remember his two fumbles against us? Imagine the outrage if we'd taken him and he'd fumbled against KC, losing a narrow OT win. It could be better . . . could be worse!

I agree and normally I wouldn’t rehash the past, because I know that I have been wrong far more often than I have been right in terms of the draft....although I did nail Dugger last year ;) . I just hate it when posters here ***** about how stupid the Pats were because a certain pick/choice so SO obvious two years after the fact, when we have the answers to the test already.

3 cones aren’t everything. Read this study a while back. Interesting read, but also not 100% because we all know the draft is not an exact science. I liked some of it basing 3 yr avg vs pick in the draft. Wr’s are very hard to predict depending on how the team is using their info on such player.

Agree and the Pats probably put too much stock in the 3-cone but DK’s number was historically bad for a WR, especially one who ran a sub 4.4 with a 40 inch vertical. I’m just saying that it probably contributed to his fall to 64..

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back