PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Falcons open to trading the number 4 pick.

I suspect that no non-quarterback is worth 2 firsts plus additional compensation.

ATL could be tempted to draft Pitts, a generational player. However, trading down and getting a stud at 8, 9, 15 or 19 seems best. ATL could also trade back up if they wished, as MIA did to assure them of a top WR or OT.

We have a reasonable shot at a top QB. A lot depends on WASH. It is quite likely that WASH and DEN will be picking 4 and 5.

Don’t necessarily need a top QB (Eli Manning isn’t a top QB and he has 2 rings) but a good one. Which we have to assume Cam isn’t anymore, at least until proven otherwise.

Eli Manning was the #1 draft pick. What are you talking about?

I think Flacco would’ve been a better name to throw out than Eli. Good qb not great taken end of r1. He was a playoff fixture his first 6/7 seasons. Could BB be a successful HC with Flacco? Not to the tune he was with Tom but multiple trips to the playoffs with a chance at a ring? Sure.

I think Flacco would’ve been a better name to throw out than Eli. Good qb not great taken end of r1. He was a playoff fixture his first 6/7 seasons. Could BB be a successful HC with Flacco? Not to the tune he was with Tom but multiple trips to the playoffs with a chance at a ring? Sure.
Flacco was drafted 18.

So was JaMarcus Russell. Once they're drafted, it doesn't matter when you're talking about who they became for their career, and Eli was a .500 QB on the whole. I'm not endorsing the idea you can plug any mediocre QB into a good team and win, but outside of two SB runs (which were great... for him) he wasn't a great QB.

So was JaMarcus Russell. Once they're drafted, it doesn't matter when you're talking about who they became for their career, and Eli was a .500 QB on the whole. I'm not endorsing the idea you can plug any mediocre QB into a good team and win, but outside of two SB runs (which were great... for him) he wasn't a great QB.
The difference is Manning had the tools to be a really good QB but he couldn’t put it together consistently. He had 2 very good post seasons. That’s the thing, he didn’t live up to his ability but you could still win with him if he was at his best at the right time.

I guess by "top quarterback" I was thinking of someone who is one of the best QB's in the league at some point in his career. At no time was Eli in that category. You don't need one of those guys to win a Super Bowl. He was good enough though and you can win with that.

The difference is Manning had the tools to be a really good QB but he couldn’t put it together consistently. He had 2 very good post seasons. That’s the thing, he didn’t live up to his ability but you could still win with him if he was at his best at the right time.

Oh for sure. If we ended up with an Eli Manning out of this draft, I think you have to consider that a win by the averages. I was just arguing that him being a #1 overall pick isn't the end of his story.

Nick Chubb would've done just as well if not better.

I had no idea who was better coming out of college? Did you? Both had serious knee issues, Michel replaced Chubb after his horrific knee injury and ran with it. When they were costarters In their last year Michel showed more as an all around back which I’m sure is why the Pats drafted Michel over Chubb.

Granted, hindsight is an ugly b@:ch when it comes to drafting, but for me, I don’t want to be that guy that *****es and moans about something after the fact. It wasn’t as cut and dry as some would like to think.

I had no idea who was better coming out of college? Did you? Both had serious knee issues, Michel replaced Chubb after his horrific knee injury and ran with it. When they were costarters In their last year Michel showed more as an all around back which I’m sure is why the Pats drafted Michel over Chubb.

Granted, hindsight is an ugly b@:ch when it comes to drafting, but for me, I don’t want to be that guy that *****es and moans about something after the fact. It wasn’t as cut and dry as some would like to think.
Michel was always the better blocker.

I think that was the determining factor.

Not my fault you called 18 the end of the first round, then instead of accepting you were wrong you rephrased 18 as “back half of round 1.” When the obvious answer should have been “oops I was wrong it was the middle of the round”.

Not my fault you called 18 the end of the first round, then instead of accepting you were wrong you rephrased 18 as “back half of round 1.” When the obvious answer should have been “oops I was wrong it was the middle of the round”.
79E3FD2A-FD9A-4A63-9CC2-C36B69BC94FA.gifMy bad. Middle of round 1.

Ha. I'm fine with another go with Cam in 2021. I think he might surprise people. If we get an elite DLine, LB corps to completement the great secondary, the offense could do well running a ton, 2TE play action, chew up a ton of clock. I think burning multiple 1st rounders for the 4th or 5th QB left is desperation, a loser move our OC would probably do like he destroyed the roster in Denver. Not worth it.

How do we know who will be the 4th best QB in this unusual reputed year of the QB? In 1983, the Pats took Eason with pick #15 in the first round while Marino went to the Dolphins as the theoretically 6th best QB at pick 27. Elway and Kelly made the HOF at the top of that. Many other excellent quarterbacks, including he who shall not be named, were found in later rounds. Rogers and Brees, in other years, made it to the bottom of the first round. Despite draft miscues in recent years, Dolla Bill has a 20 years track record of making good draft picks.

Trade up, stay put or trade down? It's too soon to write Stidham off. However, quality competition for him will better identify Cam's successor. Who the Pats like best from among the available draft options is what matters. Pick a hyped prospect of a sneaky sleeper? Whatever they do in this draft will probably be more interesting than in many other drafts when there was no imperative to draft a QB within the first 3 rounds.

How do we know who will be the 4th best QB in this unusual reputed year of the QB? In 1983, the Pats took Eason with pick #15 in the first round while Marino went to the Dolphins as the theoretically 6th best QB at pick 27. Elway and Kelly made the HOF at the top of that. Many other excellent quarterbacks, including he who shall not be named, were found in later rounds. Rogers and Brees, in other years, made it to the bottom of the first round. Despite draft miscues in recent years, Dolla Bill has a 20 years track record of making good draft picks.

Trade up, stay put or trade down? It's too soon to write Stidham off. However, quality competition for him will better identify Cam's successor. Who the Pats like best from among the available draft options is what matters. Pick a hyped prospect of a sneaky sleeper? Whatever they do in this draft will probably be more interesting than in many other drafts when there was no imperative to draft a QB within the first 3 rounds.
Can anyone say that Fields and Lance are that much better than Mond?

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back