PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Falcons open to trading the number 4 pick.

if San Fran takes jones at 3, Atlanta could cash in big time!
Elway will do something stupid and send a ton of draft capital to Atlanta!
:) yes, and so could the patriots; so could WASH

There are many that would not consider it stupid to trade up for Fields or Lance.
Falcons should draft that tight end Pitts without question.

Pats will need to out deal old nemesis Elway if they want to move up. Number 7 spot should do it. Do they have more draft capital than the Broncos?

The big question (which no one knows) is which QB prospects do the Patriots actually feel this way about?

It's easy to look at a situation like 2017. Patriots didn't make a first round pick that year, but the next year their two #1's were Michel and Wynn. Now, you would look back and say, "I would trade those two EASILY for Mahomes." But would you do the same for Trubisky, if he had been the one to fall to 10?

Or look at 2012, where you had Luck #1 and RGIII #2. Your two first rounders that year were Hightower and Jones. You'd make that swap for Luck, but not RGIII, again in hindsight.

It's easy to look at disappointing first round picks and wish you could have traded those for a player that turned out great, but it could just as easily go the other way. Sometimes you have to do that, it can be VERY worth the gamble, but there's that unknown factor always at play, and if the Patriots don't believe in the prospect, they shouldn't sell the farm for a shot in the dark.
You're also talking about guys picked 23-32 instead of guys picked 1 and 2 (or 10, with Mahomes).

That's a HUGE difference in terms of expectations to be a blue chipper.

I don't consider WASH as a darkhorse to move up to 4 or 5. I think that they are very likely to try (along with us, DEN, CHI and perhaps even CAR.
The problem with this article s that Snyder calls all the shots and he will give up anything when he wants a QB.

Please don't do it Bill, I'm beggin' ya...
Cousin,
I have to agree with your intelligent plea for sanity. Trading #15 for Jimmie G. is a cruel joke. For the Pats, trading up six zillion picks for an Ohio State QB.......any Ohio State QB ......is bowing to false gods as well. Fields might work out fine, but history says no. Another crafty poster said Haskins had great numbers at THE Ohio State as well, his last year.

The 49ers now have 5 QB's on their roster with Nick Mullens in the wings recovering from elbow surgery (bad play on events) . So now they are going to Draft another QB for 6? They just signed Sudfeld last week. Was he needed too..............unless.......!?

I call bolderdash that the Niners are not looking for a trading partner. Every Pro Day that Bill attends, Lynch and he wind up together away form the maddening crowds with little smiles and loving looks. If BB drank heavily, Lynch would be liquoring him up to take him back to his room. If the Jimmie G. back to the Pats does not happen, it isn't because they ain't tryin.

Here are the biggest questions BB has to ask himself;
1-Cam has been a good soldier and I have applauded his work. How do I justify throwing him under the bus now? Do I just come out and say he really did not have a great 2020? Do I stick to my guns as in the Brady Bledsoe shindig? Cam is my guy! for the world to hear.
2-Is this a nany. nany ha, ha on RK because I got my boy back in town.? Should I have Linda start my cat every morning for a few weeks if I make the trade? Anybody have an Eldorado for sale? (movie please?)

Jimmie G. was not Johnny U last year. He had 5 INT in 6 games until he was hurt yet again. He accounted for 10 TD' s and Cam, albeit not from arm alone, accounted for 20. Jimmie G got paid $23.8mm and Cam about $3mm.Cam did play through health issues.......give him credit gents.

Would I take Jimmie G Back? Yes with some agonizing reappraisal of the financials and not pick #15

This Miami/Niners trade was like "Draft Day". "Sonny" Lynch is trying to recover outreagous Draft capital in picks after he "panicked" and went after pick #3. Jones?........ He could have went up to perhaps pick #7 from Detroit for less wampum and still got Jones. Might have even been there at #12. Lynch is looking for Bill "Carson" to save the day.

Cousin Ross made an excellent observation about the Niners subterfuge.

Starting to believe the Jones at #3 rumor was a message sent to Foxborough.

DW Toys

The problem with this article s that Snyder calls all the shots and he will give up anything when he wants a QB.
Cousin, It would be hard to believe he would dip his toe into the Ohio State pool of QBs once again. He is still using liberal amouts of Preparation H.
Jones or Lance only.
DW Toys

The big question (which no one knows) is which QB prospects do the Patriots actually feel this way about?

It's easy to look at a situation like 2017. Patriots didn't make a first round pick that year, but the next year their two #1's were Michel and Wynn. Now, you would look back and say, "I would trade those two EASILY for Mahomes." But would you do the same for Trubisky, if he had been the one to fall to 10?

Or look at 2012, where you had Luck #1 and RGIII #2. Your two first rounders that year were Hightower and Jones. You'd make that swap for Luck, but not RGIII, again in hindsight.

It's easy to look at disappointing first round picks and wish you could have traded those for a player that turned out great, but it could just as easily go the other way. Sometimes you have to do that, it can be VERY worth the gamble, but there's that unknown factor always at play, and if the Patriots don't believe in the prospect, they shouldn't sell the farm for a shot in the dark.
Actually, one would trade up for RGIII. His issue wasn't his ability to play QB but the stupid injury he suffered. Prior to the injury, he was well on his way to rookie of the year and being "the guy"

That's always the question, too, really. If the Patriots have QBs in this draft that they think are "it", but those QBs are going to go with the top 3 picks, and the team thinks the other 2 QBs are something less, it makes no sense to trade up and draft QBs 4 or 5. But, if the Patriots see who's going #1, #2, and #3, and they think another QB is a franchise level QB, then cost should be a non-issue, and getting that franchise QB at #4 or below should be the end all/be all of the draft.

For the Pats, trading up six zillion picks for an Ohio State QB.......any Ohio State QB ......is bowing to false gods as well. Fields might work out fine, but history says no. Another crafty poster said Haskins had great numbers at THE Ohio State as well, his last year.
This is a lazy comparison. Trust me I was guilty of it too until I did some more research. It would have been like dismissing Cam Newton prior to the 2011 draft because Jason Campbell was the best Auburn alum to play QB in the NFL up to that point. Fields and Haskins are not the same player. Fields is a dual threat QB, Haskins more pro style. Fields was the number 1 ranked five-star recruit at his position coming out of high school, Haskins was only 5th in his recruit class. Fields was the more efficient quarterback, having similar passing yards to Haskins but throwing for 9 more touchdowns in 11 fewer attempts. Also a superior running threat. And Urban Meyer warned of Haskins’ maturity issues going into the NFL whereas he praised Fields in that department. Ohio State has never produced a successful NFL QB, this is true. But it is also true that they have never before had a blue chip NFL QB prospect like Fields. This SI article dives further into the comparison and why it doesn’t hold up.

Last edited:
For the Pats, trading up six zillion picks for an Ohio State QB.......any Ohio State QB ......is bowing to false gods as well. Fields might work out fine, but history says no.
While it's true that OSU has a prototype for their QBS - basically a running back who can throw a little - that is not Fields. It's best to think of him as an SEC QB, which he was, who got screwed over at UGA because the coach was in love with his white supremicist Jake Fromm. My mutt friends down here in Atlanta are still royally pissed at Kirby for that.

Here’s another thought - trade up to 4 now. If Fields (or whoever their QB of choice is) is there, take him. If he’s not, and you don’t love the other available QBs, just take Pitts. Yes you’re a little overloaded at TE but like... that dude is freakishly good, you can put him anywhere. And they’re gonna lean on the TE anyway...

I’d love to see Pitts on this team

Reading everything I could find the last few days, it think it goes:

1. Lawrence
2. Wilson
3. ? The rumors say Mac Jones, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 9'ers took either Lance or Fields here.
4. IF the Patriots trade up, I think it'd be for Lance.

I have no idea if any of these guys are worth the cost, but if the Pats think any at 4 could be their next QB, pay the price.

That's where I'm at, anyway.

(I went back and looked at the N'Keal Harry threads before and after the draft in 2019...my prediction then was either Harry or Brown in the first - I wanted Brown, but really thought Harry would work out.)

This is really still a debate? Belichick himself even admitted that need is factored into every draft.
It’s inherent in their process as one of the criteria for their picks for is “ who do we have that they would beat out “ to make the roster, at least if IRC from War Room. That doesn’t make them right all the time but areas of most need are probably the guys on the way out,

Cousin, It would be hard to believe he would dip his toe into the Ohio State pool of QBs once again. He is still using liberal amouts of Preparation H.
Jones or Lance only.
DW Toys
Cousin, it’s Daniel Snyder, he could like their pocket square and trade three firsts for them.

Reading everything I could find the last few days, it think it goes:

1. Lawrence
2. Wilson
3. ? The rumors say Mac Jones, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 9'ers took either Lance or Fields here.
4. IF the Patriots trade up, I think it'd be for Lance.

I have no idea if any of these guys are worth the cost, but if the Pats think any at 4 could be their next QB, pay the price.

That's where I'm at, anyway.

(I went back and looked at the N'Keal Harry threads before and after the draft in 2019...my prediction then was either Harry or Brown in the first - I wanted Brown, but really thought Harry would work out.)
I agree with this, if they make the big move for a QB it will be Lance.

I just watched the Ohio St. V Indiana game that was on the Big Ten network.

Fields was actually worse than I already thought he was. BTW Ohio St D left Indiana WR wide open all day.

Fields had 3 INTs I think, one he had all day, couldn’t find anyone, started to scramble and just chucked it up as he was getting tackled. He did this with a 3TD lead kind you.

the Big Ten is garbage. I would avoid Fields like the plague.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back