PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FA Safety Market Is DEEP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but if Tyrone Mathieu has his head screwed on tight and has resolved some of he demons and he came at the right price would take a look at him.. but that is a lot of "if's" about the "Honey Badger".. as I type this he might not be a good fit after all...

Some of the early mock drafts indicated that the Patriots were gonna pick a safety with #32, but what do they really know?? Jonathan Abrams, Miss. State??

Even his hometown Saints are wary about this guy.. sounds like a lot of baggage to me.

2019 free agency: Don't plan on Saints signing Tyrann Mathieu
As much as I would like the signing as a fan, I don’t think that it would be cost effective, Darryl. McCourty has a 13m dollar cap hit, and we have Chung and Harmon as the first 3 choices. It wouldn’t make much sense to pay someone top dollar when there’s already a logjam at the position.

I also feel as though the team is a bit tight against the cap, especially if we want to retain some of the key free agents such as Flowers, Brown, Gost, Allen, Patterson, Dorsett, etc.

With McCourty and Chung looking at another year or two, I think it would make sense to go with a cheap, young draft pick—and if they feel as though that guy is there in the first round, I’m all for it.

It will be interesting to see what the safety FA market commands. It was very quiet last FA and there looks to be quite a strong draft class.

It’d be an initiative to get younger. Chung and Devin are both turning 32.

I think a lot depends on what they saw from Melifonwu during his time with the team.

At 6'4-224 lbs and with his athletic ability, he'd be a prime candidate to take over for Chung going forward. Many people who wanted the Pats to draft him had that in mind.

If the Pats believe that Melifonwu CAN be Chung's successor, then I don't see them investing in a safety at all. If not, then we'll see the Pats draft someone..

Looking forward to the unknown second round safety in the draft lol. We could really use a good young one.

Move on from Chung? Do some of you not understand what he means to the D? He has lost a step, yes. But move on now? Nope.
Just need to be prepared with some depth, like we’ve talked about, when Chung loses a little more speed he’ll be done and quickly out of the league. Hope we can get maybe two more years outta him.

Need to move on from mccourty. 10m for what?? That's top of the league safety money. I could see him being milloyed.

Need to move on from mccourty. 10m for what?? That's top of the league safety money. I could see him being milloyed.
There will be some moves for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft