PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PRE-FA 3 ROUND MOCK DRAFT WITH FREE AGENCY ADDITIONS/TRADES

Status
Not open for further replies.
every boxed checked and all it took was tradeing 2(24) with Dallas for 2(26), 4(26), and 4 (34)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 32: Ferguson, Jaylon, DE, Louisiana Tech (A)
Round 2 Pick 26 (DAL): Dillard, Andre, OT/OT, Washington State (A)
Round 2 Pick 32: Hodge, Kalhil, ILB, Buffalo (A-)
Round 3 Pick 9: Sternberger, Jace, TE, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Isabella, Andy, WR, Massachusetts (A+)
Round 3 Pick 37 (COMP): Thorson, Clayton, QB, Northwestern (A+)
Round 4 Pick 26 (DAL): Oliver, Josh, TE, San Jose State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 32: Samuel, Deebo, WR, South Carolina (A+)
Round 4 Pick 34 (DAL): Russell, Dontavius, DT, Auburn (B+)
Round 6 Pick 32 (COMP): Love, Bryce, RB, Stanford (A+)
Round 7 Pick 25: Bee, Ryan, DT, Marshall (A+)
Round 7 Pick 32: Tranquill, Drue, OLB, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 7 Pick 38 (COMP): Seibert, Austin, K, Oklahoma (A+)
Love the basic premise. Here are my notes with the proviso that I'm not as familiar with the talent as you,

a. I wouldn't be trading up in the 2nd for an OT even if Brown leaves. If you have a quality DT out there that you'd trade up for, I'm OK.

b. I love the your third round, though I think Isabella will go before then. However, QB in the 3rd is too early for the position. I really think the Pats will stay pat at QB this year or at least in the first 5 rounds. Next year is the year to invest draft capital for "the next great thing. In my mind Brady has 2 more years. I want all of those first 6 picks to end up being the core of next iteration of the team. Use that pick on a S

c. Wonder if we could do something else with the Samuel pick but that might reflect on my general disregard of WR's and the fact we already drafted one that could be my binky in the 3rd round.

d. If we got 2/3rds of those picks it would be a great draft. Nice job

The Pats will lose some valuable personnel. They will get some back and might make some trades.

Resigns:

Trent Brown-Why? An intact O Line is a stable O Line. Wynn is coming off an injury. Too early to say if he is the instant successor to Brown. Let him be the swing Tackle/Guard this year and take Waddle's place. A one year extension.

Corradell Patterson-Why? Still young. Still fast and produced in a limited role. Should be inexpensive. We need WR bodies. Good locker room kid.

Phillip Dorsett- Why? Produced in a limited role. Still young. Fast. Maybe ascending. The anti-Diva WR.

John Simon-Played a lot after his acquisition. Put up some QB pressure. Can he be Nink or Vrabel?

Gostkowski- Has his bad moments but better than most

Ryan Allen-A little underrated.

Danny Shelton-Only 25. One start this year. 21 tackles. Brown had 14 starts and only had 35 tackles, his lowest amount as a Patriot. They need to retain at least one of these cloggers.

If Gordon gets a clean bill of health from rehab, he is a RFA . Sign him to a prove it.

Jonathan Jones. RFA one year deal.

Jeremy Hill-Showed enough for a one year deal.

Possible cuts:

Devin McCourty- Thinking retirement-$9mm is way too much, He has been mediocre the last two years but he does get the DBs lined up. Or contract reconstruct.

Dur0n Harmon-You cut McCourty , you keep Harmon. If not a one year deal

Possible Trades:

Donta Hightower- Better playoff player than regulars season. Started off terrible this year but improved.
Tough call but his CAP number is a factor and will not take a pay cut. $7mm is not crazy in today's numbers, so his contract is friendly. Hightower or MCourty should be moved.

Marcus Cannon-If you resign Brown, who I think played better than Cannon, and then plug Wynn in there.Cannon is at $5.5 mm.

Josh Rosen from Cards. McDaniels liked him. A block of clay to mold for a couple years watching TB12. #32 might be the best the Cardinals get. BB would have traded #32 anyway.Is he a better QB than any BB can get at #32? YES.

Shockeroo....Ryan Kerrigan from Redskins. He is 30 years old but playing at a high level. Plays the Ninc roll on the skins. Started every game since 2011. 13 Sacks on a poor Skins D last year. Averages 10.5 Sacks per year. He is the perfect NE Patriot mold. He is $11.5mm per year. At least $5mm less than Flowers who has less production. The Skins are rebuilding and without a QB. They could use a Pats high pick.

Antonio Brown? Maybe if we are the best trade partner. He will be a big CAP number but a "John Pardo" type parting gift for TB.

Possible realistic BB FA targets:

Bill will go bargain basement this year

Tyrann Mathieu S- OK Well this ONE might be a little more expensive. Our best play making S is Harmon and he doesn't start. I think Mattheu takes a little less to play here and Romeo and Billy play a similar D game in Houston.

Jamison Crowder WR- Should be cheaper because of injuries in 2018. Prior to that he compared to Diggs from the Vikings. Crowder is also terrific in punt returns. Only 26 and a Duke grad,
  • Diggs - 3 years / 40 games / 200 catches / 2,472 receiving yards / 15 TDs / 12.4 yards-per-catch
  • Crowder - 3 years / 47 games / 192 catches / 2,240 receiving yards / 12 TDs / 11.7 yards-per-catch
Henry Anderson DL-This guy was a force for the Jets last year. They want to resign him. He played well against us. 7 Sacks from the inside last year. Only 27 . 6'6" and 300 lbs. He seems like a typical below the radar guy for the Pats.

Chris Conley WR- fast and a terrific blocker. 6"3" and 205. Unselfish that BB requires. The size WR the Pats need. 5 TD's is 2018. 26 years old. Melds fine with the other GA kids. 4.35 speed.

Tyler Eifert TE- An injury gamble that BB has always taken a shot with. Pro Bowl ability when healthy.

Corey Liuget DT-See above

Shaquil Barrett LB "Barrett has produced. Besides that, he’s been exceptional in run defense. According to Pro Football Focus (subscription required), Barrett was the No. 17 rated edge defender in run defense this past season. At only 26 years old, he offers tremendous versatility"

Tre Boston S- "Boston was PFF’s No. 24 rated safety last season and was small consolation on a weak Arizona defense. He also had a 78.2 coverage grade, good enough to be the No. 19 rated safety in that category. Our Safeties lack coverage".

Jared Cook TE- He is 33 but still playing at a high level. Was the Raiders best receiver last year. If Gronk comes back, Cook can receive a lot of targets. Not an overwhelming blocker.

Amendola WR

THE DRAFT after all of this above (just for giggles) :

First round: 32nd overall – To the Cards for Rosen. QB box checked
Second: 56th overall –To Steelers for Antonio Brown or if not, Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State (injured 1rst rounder)
Second: 64th overall –Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina
Third: 73rd overall – To Redskins for Kerrigan or if not Jaylon Ferguson, EDGE, Louisiana Tech
Third: 97th overall -Amani Hooker, S, Iowa
Third: 101st overall - JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford

We won't get near a top rated TE in the Draft. I would take a shot with Kahale Warring of San Diego State.

Thoughts?
DW Toys

Don't agree with a lot of this but I REALLY appreciate the effort you put in and the good discussion that evolves from you posts both here and on the draft forum

The Pats will lose some valuable personnel. They will get some back and might make some trades.

Resigns:

Trent Brown-Why? An intact O Line is a stable O Line. Wynn is coming off an injury. Too early to say if he is the instant successor to Brown. Let him be the swing Tackle/Guard this year and take Waddle's place. A one year extension.

Thoughts?
DW Toys

Trent Brown isn't taking a one year deal when he's at the absolute top of his market value.

Love the basic premise. Here are my notes with the proviso that I'm not as familiar with the talent as you,

a. I wouldn't be trading up in the 2nd for an OT even if Brown leaves. If you have a quality DT out there that you'd trade up for, I'm OK.

b. I love the your third round, though I think Isabella will go before then. However, QB in the 3rd is too early for the position. I really think the Pats will stay pat at QB this year or at least in the first 5 rounds. Next year is the year to invest draft capital for "the next great thing. In my mind Brady has 2 more years. I want all of those first 6 picks to end up being the core of next iteration of the team. Use that pick on a S

c. Wonder if we could do something else with the Samuel pick but that might reflect on my general disregard of WR's and the fact we already drafted one that could be my binky in the 3rd round.

d. If we got 2/3rds of those picks it would be a great draft. Nice job

I didn't trade up...I traded down 2 spots and got 2 4ths in return.....I would draft a QB when I like the QB.....not set a moment in time when a QB should be drafted.....Thorson is a good QB and good value at the end of the 3rd and with that many picks, why not?

2ba7242a1e787e43367ba7d5fbbb92cc.jpg

Don't agree with a lot of this but I REALLY appreciate the effort you put in and the good discussion that evolves from you posts both here and on the draft forum
Appreciate that
DW Toys

There was just a report out there saying that Rosen was most likely worth a 3rd rounder at this point.
Cousin, here is the thing. Most talent evaluators (yeah, I know) said Rosen is still the second best QB if he were in this Draft class. The fact that he is on a five year deal and his money is the same as Hoyer, worse case scenario is leave him at back up until we find a TB12 replacement (sure!). We hope TB has 2-3 years. So we have 4 more years with this QB who was Drafted by a terrible Team and defensive coach. I hope it can be a Farve to Rodgers transition.....but who knows.
What everyone is not saying here is logically the Past are not going to get a first round rated QB. Rosen was running for his life on the Cards and had 45 sacks....45! Can we make him right? The Pats are never going to be a Kyler Murray type Team. That is a whole offense reconstruct.
If my Cousins on this forum think a Clayton Thorson or Will Grier are better prospects, ok then. Rosen has flaws. He is cerebral but not TB emotional. I get it. He is more Eli Manning than Tony Romo fire.
The Cards would be better off keeping Rosen if all he brought was a third rounder. Cheap insurance for when Murray gets cold ****ed a time or two.
We keep fishing at the bottom of the Draft for another Brady and get Effling.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Cousin, here is the thing. Most talent evaluators (yeah, I know) said Rosen is still the second best QB if he were in this Draft class. The fact that he is on a five year deal and his money is the same as Hoyer, worse case scenario is leave him at back up until we find a TB12 replacement (sure!). We hope TB has 2-3 years. So we have 4 more years with this QB who was Drafted by a terrible Team and defensive coach. I hope it can be a Farve to Rodgers transition.....but who knows.
What everyone is not saying here is logically the Past are not going to get a first round rated QB. Rosen was running for his life on the Cards and had 45 sacks....45! Can we make him right? The Pats are never going to be a Kyler Murray type Team. That is a whole offense reconstruct.
If my Cousins on this forum think a Clayton Thorson or Will Grier are better prospects, ok then. Rosen has flaws. He is cerebral but not TB emotional. I get it. He is more Eli Manning than Tony Romo fire.
The Cards would be better off keeping Rosen if all he brought was a third rounder. Cheap insurance for when Murray gets cold ****ed a time or two.
We keep fishing at the bottom of the Draft for another Brady and get Effling.
DW Toys
Given the Pats have spent second day picks on guys like Ryan Mallett and Kevin O'Connell, I'm fine with BB seeing what Rosen's got with a 2nd or 3rd. If Brady is sticking around for another 2-3, that should be more than adequate time to groom the successor.

THE DRAFT after all of this above (just for giggles) :

First round: 32nd overall – To the Cards for Rosen. QB box checked
Second: 56th overall –To Steelers for Antonio Brown or if not, Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State (injured 1rst rounder)
Second: 64th overall –Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina
Third: 73rd overall – To Redskins for Kerrigan or if not Jaylon Ferguson, EDGE, Louisiana Tech
Third: 97th overall -Amani Hooker, S, Iowa
Third: 101st overall - JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford

"Drafts" like this are one of the reasons the NBA doesn't let teams trade consecutive first-round picks.

Seven offensive skill players in a single draft? That'd be different.

Let's be honest. BB's Drafts have not been stellar....saying about a "B" to B-". His talent is more suited for trades and FA pick ups.

Think Vrabel, Nink, Van Noy. Think Gilmore he snagged day one in the FA. It did take Gilmore a while to assimilate. Jason McCourty was arguably behind Gilmore as our best DB down the stretch.

Trent Brown, Burkhead made contributions. Hogan has had some great games and Dorsett has made plays. Guy has been solid Then you have the Welkers, Moss, Talib and even Revis. Rodney Harrison, Dillion and more. He's missed on a couple but his success ratio on the Trades and FA is higher than the Draft.

They have the most Draft capital of any Team this year. In my "weak" attempt for an opinion, I put all my focus on a few inexpensive FA pick ups on the Defense that could help now like Matheiu, Barrett and Anderson who could have significant snaps in 2019. Don't want to wait 3 years (nor does TB) on a rookie. Bentley will also improve this year at LB.

It takes on the average of 3 years to get a Draft prospect to reach his potential. Perhaps some only 2 years. Think of our O Line and how they are young but matured together.....in about 3 seasons. James White, Flowers and even Edelman took time to be what they are.

OK we need a QB "in waiting". Counting a Draft pick to be a major contributor on a Team like the Pats versus the Cardinals is a difficult road.

I am not the biggest Rosen fan but he does have merit. I would rather have Rosen over any rookie QB because he has been under intense fire and is battle tested. He's young and can be corrected. Brady would do wonders for him as a mentor. Who did Rosen have to learn from at AZ? He also has a 5 year contract(-1 year). He's actually cheaper than Hoyer!

We need to upgrade at WR. Mentioned a few in FA but the odds of BB striking out Draft Day once again on a WR should assure taking a WR in this years Draft might stick, Hence a pair within the first three rounds(Samuel and Whiteside)......then there is the AB pipe Dream....but who knows. Rather a younger (but more expensive OBJ) so pipedream #2

The Kerrigan Trade is one that drives this forum crazy............Ha! But the rumor is that perhaps the Redskins want to go younger and although Kerrigan is $5mm less than what you would have to pay Flowers, he fits that role. I think he is very Patriot like. He has played in every game, he's dependable and he still has a few years left. He's a Team leader type BB loves.

Crowder was the one real FA WR I think we should approach. He's young, he is a great punt returner (JE is 31 guys) and I see him as an Amendola version. Other than being banged up in 2018, he averages 66 receptions and 4 TD's per year on a weak sister Redskins Team. He averages 7.9 on PR returns and in 2016 it was over 12 ypr. .........
A great stat? He averages 24 first down catches per year. Significance? Trust in Brady as a third down option.

DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes