PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PRE-FA 3 ROUND MOCK DRAFT WITH FREE AGENCY ADDITIONS/TRADES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your comments. I think that Brown will take cheaper than Solder in my opinion. We have a shot with him but unfortunately not Flowers.

I can't see these Teams in th 1-20 range using 1st round capital for Rosen. The Giants, Denver, Jax, Miami or Washington. Our competition sweet spot would be Green Bay with two 1st rounders going for a Rodgers back up or San Diego. I think the new GB coach will defer on a Rodgers replacement just yet, which leaves San Diego.

I think Washington goes veteran because they have invested in Smith. To my opinion, they could spend perhaps their 3rd Round Comp for Case Keenum, who has the same type of skill set as Alex Smith and is only on contract for 2019......so a bridge until Smith heals. In actuality Keenum had some better stats this past year than when with the Vikes playoff Team. The Giants seem to be buying into Haskins. Elway is infatuated with Locke behind Flaco. He needs to move Keenum. Jax is all over Foles. As far as Miami, I think Flores will see what happened to defensive Wilks and perhaps look at Brdgewater rather than an unproven Rookie or a QB he has to reform like Rosen.

I think we are the only first rounder possibility and would BB do that? Let's think logically. I would say this has to be the years we Draft a QB to groom who's name is not Effling. Rosen is still a talent. The best thing was he got NFL reps under his belt. Now correct what he did wrong.

Wilks was a Defensive guy so that did not help structure Rosen.

I can see you are a true-blue D. McCourty guy. I think Jason outplayed him mostly. He has one foot out the door as well. He even said he has nothing more to accomplish in the sport. You have to admit he has slipped. He does keep everything alligned in the D Backfield but there are better players for this spot. You surely can replace him. Honey Badger comes to mind.

Kind of hard to judge Kerrigan if he has never been exposed to many playoff gigs. He is not to be Hightower replacement (?) but more of the Flowers replacement. Never missed a game. Great worker. Productive and $5mm less than Flowers lowest ask with more sacks (13-7.5) than Flowers.

Former Pats Safety Harrison (who does not mince words) called current Patriots safety and defensive captain Devin McCourty “a liability in coverage,” who had struggled to even keep up with TE. This was 3/4 through the 2018 season. I admit the whole defense gelled late but I do not give McCourty a free pass as do you. He's $9mm and replaceable. Interesting to note they had Jonathan Jones playing a lot of Safety in the Superbowl. They are about the same size. I think McCourty is worth about what the pay Harmon. I like McCourty. Just think we over rate him here.

I agree with you on the $10mm for Brown and Cannon idea.
DW Toys
There was just a report out there saying that Rosen was most likely worth a 3rd rounder at this point.

In spite of putting together these consistently horrific mocks year after year, DW keeps coming. He’s like the Terminator. And honestly, that’s admirable.

“I’ll take ridiculously insane posts for 500, Alex.”

Got admit, this board sometimes is pretty good, even with the crazy.

In spite of putting together these consistently horrific mocks year after year, DW keeps coming. He’s like the Terminator. And honestly, that’s admirable.

Wish I could tell you what I am actually up to with all of this. You specifically would get it.
DW Toys

“I’ll take ridiculously insane posts for 500, Alex.”

Got admit, this board sometimes is pretty good, even with the crazy.

Cousin...crazy? Yeah, now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast, give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any rules.
DW Toys

Rosen for a second or Jarret Stidham is what I'm leaning towards leaning to Rosen.

Nosen to Rosen...thanx

I don’t know about you guys but I think OP might have been smoking the wacky tabacky before starting this thread.

Your definitely getting soft. No where near as crazy as past mocks lol. Rosen isn't worth a first imo and I have always had a soft spot for D. McCourty so you can guess where I stand on him. The rest of your ideas are strangely reasonable lol.

The Pats will lose some valuable personnel. They will get some back and might make some trades.

Resigns:

Trent Brown-Why? An intact O Line is a stable O Line. Wynn is coming off an injury. Too early to say if he is the instant successor to Brown. Let him be the swing Tackle/Guard this year and take Waddle's place. A one year extension.

Corradell Patterson-Why? Still young. Still fast and produced in a limited role. Should be inexpensive. We need WR bodies. Good locker room kid.

Phillip Dorsett- Why? Produced in a limited role. Still young. Fast. Maybe ascending. The anti-Diva WR.

John Simon-Played a lot after his acquisition. Put up some QB pressure. Can he be Nink or Vrabel?

Gostkowski- Has his bad moments but better than most

Ryan Allen-A little underrated.

Danny Shelton-Only 25. One start this year. 21 tackles. Brown had 14 starts and only had 35 tackles, his lowest amount as a Patriot. They need to retain at least one of these cloggers.

If Gordon gets a clean bill of health from rehab, he is a RFA . Sign him to a prove it.

Jonathan Jones. RFA one year deal.

Jeremy Hill-Showed enough for a one year deal.

Possible cuts:

Devin McCourty- Thinking retirement-$9mm is way too much, He has been mediocre the last two years but he does get the DBs lined up. Or contract reconstruct.

Dur0n Harmon-You cut McCourty , you keep Harmon. If not a one year deal

Possible Trades:

Donta Hightower- Better playoff player than regulars season. Started off terrible this year but improved.
Tough call but his CAP number is a factor and will not take a pay cut. $7mm is not crazy in today's numbers, so his contract is friendly. Hightower or MCourty should be moved.

Marcus Cannon-If you resign Brown, who I think played better than Cannon, and then plug Wynn in there.Cannon is at $5.5 mm.

Josh Rosen from Cards. McDaniels liked him. A block of clay to mold for a couple years watching TB12. #32 might be the best the Cardinals get. BB would have traded #32 anyway.Is he a better QB than any BB can get at #32? YES.

Shockeroo....Ryan Kerrigan from Redskins. He is 30 years old but playing at a high level. Plays the Ninc roll on the skins. Started every game since 2011. 13 Sacks on a poor Skins D last year. Averages 10.5 Sacks per year. He is the perfect NE Patriot mold. He is $11.5mm per year. At least $5mm less than Flowers who has less production. The Skins are rebuilding and without a QB. They could use a Pats high pick.

Antonio Brown? Maybe if we are the best trade partner. He will be a big CAP number but a "John Pardo" type parting gift for TB.

Possible realistic BB FA targets:

Bill will go bargain basement this year

Tyrann Mathieu S- OK Well this ONE might be a little more expensive. Our best play making S is Harmon and he doesn't start. I think Mattheu takes a little less to play here and Romeo and Billy play a similar D game in Houston.

Jamison Crowder WR- Should be cheaper because of injuries in 2018. Prior to that he compared to Diggs from the Vikings. Crowder is also terrific in punt returns. Only 26 and a Duke grad,
  • Diggs - 3 years / 40 games / 200 catches / 2,472 receiving yards / 15 TDs / 12.4 yards-per-catch
  • Crowder - 3 years / 47 games / 192 catches / 2,240 receiving yards / 12 TDs / 11.7 yards-per-catch
Henry Anderson DL-This guy was a force for the Jets last year. They want to resign him. He played well against us. 7 Sacks from the inside last year. Only 27 . 6'6" and 300 lbs. He seems like a typical below the radar guy for the Pats.

Chris Conley WR- fast and a terrific blocker. 6"3" and 205. Unselfish that BB requires. The size WR the Pats need. 5 TD's is 2018. 26 years old. Melds fine with the other GA kids. 4.35 speed.

Tyler Eifert TE- An injury gamble that BB has always taken a shot with. Pro Bowl ability when healthy.

Corey Liuget DT-See above

Shaquil Barrett LB "Barrett has produced. Besides that, he’s been exceptional in run defense. According to Pro Football Focus (subscription required), Barrett was the No. 17 rated edge defender in run defense this past season. At only 26 years old, he offers tremendous versatility"

Tre Boston S- "Boston was PFF’s No. 24 rated safety last season and was small consolation on a weak Arizona defense. He also had a 78.2 coverage grade, good enough to be the No. 19 rated safety in that category. Our Safeties lack coverage".

Jared Cook TE- He is 33 but still playing at a high level. Was the Raiders best receiver last year. If Gronk comes back, Cook can receive a lot of targets. Not an overwhelming blocker.

Amendola WR

THE DRAFT after all of this above (just for giggles) :

First round: 32nd overall – To the Cards for Rosen. QB box checked
Second: 56th overall –To Steelers for Antonio Brown or if not, Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State (injured 1rst rounder)
Second: 64th overall –Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina
Third: 73rd overall – To Redskins for Kerrigan or if not Jaylon Ferguson, EDGE, Louisiana Tech
Third: 97th overall -Amani Hooker, S, Iowa
Third: 101st overall - JJ Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford

We won't get near a top rated TE in the Draft. I would take a shot with Kahale Warring of San Diego State.

Thoughts?
DW Toys

I thought someone had hacked DWs account until I saw the Antonio Brown for #56 trade.

IMO, I think the Pats should keep the old core of winners who just keep driving the team to super bowls every single year, even if they appear over paid. E.g., Dmac, Harmon, Chung, High, Gronk, Gost, Cannon etc. If a player has been to 4 of the past 5 super bowls and keeps making the team, they're probably considered more valuable even if it doesn't show in the highlight reel or stat sheet.

Other teams have high paid stat-monsters and it doesn't work out with any consistency. The Steelers paid Le'veon and Brown fortunes and those transcendent talents complain their way out of town or don't even show up.

I think it's a great idea to get absolutely nothing out of your 1st 2 rounds

word is my Danny is getting released by MIami. I want the Pats to pick him back up. What do YOU say Brady6?

every boxed checked and all it took was tradeing 2(24) with Dallas for 2(26), 4(26), and 4 (34)

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 32: Ferguson, Jaylon, DE, Louisiana Tech (A)
Round 2 Pick 26 (DAL): Dillard, Andre, OT/OT, Washington State (A)
Round 2 Pick 32: Hodge, Kalhil, ILB, Buffalo (A-)
Round 3 Pick 9: Sternberger, Jace, TE, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Isabella, Andy, WR, Massachusetts (A+)
Round 3 Pick 37 (COMP): Thorson, Clayton, QB, Northwestern (A+)
Round 4 Pick 26 (DAL): Oliver, Josh, TE, San Jose State (A+)
Round 4 Pick 32: Samuel, Deebo, WR, South Carolina (A+)
Round 4 Pick 34 (DAL): Russell, Dontavius, DT, Auburn (B+)
Round 6 Pick 32 (COMP): Love, Bryce, RB, Stanford (A+)
Round 7 Pick 25: Bee, Ryan, DT, Marshall (A+)
Round 7 Pick 32: Tranquill, Drue, OLB, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 7 Pick 38 (COMP): Seibert, Austin, K, Oklahoma (A+)

From Fanspeak. Thoughts?

32: DL CHRISTIAN WILKINS CLEMSON
56: TE IRV SMITH ALABAMA
64: CB ROCK YA-SIN TEMPLE
73: EDGE AUSTIN BRYANT CLEMSON
97: C ERIK MCCOY TEXAS A&M
101: QB WILL GRIER WVU
134: WR MILES BOYKIN NOTRE DAME
205: LB DRE GREENLAW ARK
239: S DELVON RANDALL TEMPLE
243: OT A.T. HALL STANFORD
246: DL OLIVE SAGAPOLU WISCONSIN