PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top FA targets (non-Patriots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Lets talk about some guys we think would look good in our uniform that haven't worn it yet. A lot of this of course depends on who we resign but some names are always nice.

Mine?

G - Evan Mathis/Jahri Evans - Both old guys in a similar situation. I think they have 1-2 good years left. Bring them in on a 1 yr deal to improve your OL short term? Very possible.

C - Joe Berger - This one I think is definitly worth considering. You have to wonder if Andrews has hit his peak and if so is it enough? Berger is like the above two and would be a 1-2 yr bridge option who is on in years but elite.

TE - Cook - Assuming Bennett is gone I don't think we want a draft pick to step in as the #2. Cook isn't a good blocker but one of the better pass catching TEs. Slim pickings at TE this year for vets.

WR - Bolden - Floyd will be the often talked about option and should be but Bolden is a guy I have liked a long time. It would be short term but he can offer you something short term and would not break the bank. They could go bigger here but I don't like the idea of paying a WR more than Edelman.

RB - McFadden - This might be a good year to draft a RB. I think Blount has aged and they need to turn elsewhere. McFadden I think has 1 year left. Between the tackle RB are not easily to be found for a reasonable price in this years FA.

I will not do QB/OT

DE - I don't wanna list just one name here cause there are a lot and I could see the Pats looking to really invest in this spot. However one guy I think be fun to get is Freeney. He still has it and him and Brady on the same team be fun. If they want to go big though I like Melvin Ingram as he is just as good vs the run and the pass.

DT - Calais Campbell. BB loves him. He can do it all. Looking for a few more years and is a top talent. Lets get it done. This guy I and other fans REALLY want.

LB - Again a lot of names here are interesting if they want to go the FA route. I really have no favorites but think they would choose not too pay too much for a guy here after they pay Hightower. So maybe a rental FA and draft pick? I don't think there is a good rental option here for them but who knows.

CB - If Ryan walks who comes in? Depends what they want to do but i think think 2 CBs on big long term deals of 10M+ is in the cards most likely. So Leon Hall be a good option. He could still play 2-3 very solid years on reasonable money.

S - IMO if you decide to let Harmon walk you just draft a guy. A lot of other Safeties in the market so maybe his price is lower than we think? If you want to sign someone it will be on short money cause McCourty/Chung take up a lot of cash (for good reason) Rashad Johnson or Matt Elam are both okay depending on what you are looking for and won't cost too much.

Last edited:
C - Joe Berger - This one I think is definitly worth considering. You have to wonder if Andrews has hit his peak and if so is it enough? Berger is like the above two and would be a 1-2 yr bridge option who is on in years but elite.

If what we're looking for is a 1-year bridge to the C of the future, then I have a name: David Andrews. He's dirt cheap, knows the offense and does a great job with the line calls. IMO bringing in an aging outside veteran for a year is both riskier and more expensive.

RB - McFadden - This might be a good year to draft a RB. I think Blount has aged and they need to turn elsewhere. McFadden I think has 1 year left. Between the tackle RB are not easily to be found for a reasonable price in this years FA.

I liked your first sentence. :) This is a strong RB draft, I'd address the position that way.

McFadden is ALWAS hurt. Never lived up to the billing either. I'll pass on him. Would love to get McCaffrey in the draft to increase the talent at RB. Imagine can come in and learn the system, I can see him being the rookie RB version of Malcolm Mitchell, come in and contribute big time.

I've been a Calais Campbell fan for a lot of years, but what's he going to cost?

Matt Elam sucks

By the way, if the Pats are going to bolster their OL, then they should consider Joe Thomas + that Eagles' pick from Cleveland in a JAG trade, perhaps

But since their weakness continues to be the interior (is Tre Jackson even coming back?), forget the old-man patches and go out and pay Kevin Zeitler.

By the way, if the Pats are going to bolster their OL, then they should consider Joe Thomas + that Eagles' pick from Cleveland in a JAG trade, perhaps

But since their weakness continues to be the interior (is Tre Jackson even coming back?), forget the old-man patches and go out and pay Kevin Zeitler.

Has BB ever gone out and paid for top dollar IOL? Yes he signed Mankins but he was home grown. That would be a big departure from his philosophy which is why I don't see them doing it. But who knows.

Matt Elam sucks

As I said. "depending on what you are looking for". He is bad at some things and okay at others. I think under BB he could be useful. He was looking okay in year 3 before being hurt and that carried into year 4. I think there is something there to tap into particular in run stuffing.

My mind just isn't here yet. I will say someone mentioned C. Campbell and I've always liked him. But I'll be back if this thread is still going strong in maybe two weeks. I still want to be caught up yet.

They need help at center, TE, RB in addition to signing HT and Butler. I would let Martellus Bennett walk.

Bolden is what, like 42 years old?

Bolden is what, like 42 years old?

He is 27 or 28 I think. IDK if they keep him. I know he plays STs but to me we have such good STers without him and what is the meaningful STs play he has made in the last 2 years? Nothing comes to mind.

Has BB ever gone out and paid for top dollar IOL? Yes he signed Mankins but he was home grown. That would be a big departure from his philosophy which is why I don't see them doing it. But who knows.

I agree, but if they're not going to do something like that, they're not going to upgrade the decent young talent they're developing. Thuney is for real. Mason needs more work. Andrews is solid, but has nowhere near a Mangold/Alex Mack ceiling. Tre Jackson looked promising, but isn't his injury a chronic thing?

If you're Scar and you think you need help in the interior line, maybe a proven vet with his prime ahead of him is the best choice...for a change.

Can I pass on all of the above and just sign released players instead in order to preserve the Pats' 2018 comp picks? I don't think two fourths and two fifths is out of the question, but they'd have to avoid offsetting them, which most of these players would do.

Not alot of great names there would like to see some better interior RUN blockers. I like Andrews but he cant move anyone in run game. Mason got used early in that falcons game but both are very solid pass blockers for the most part. going to be interesting year. Need some good vets looking for rings willing to make deals.

Anquan Boldin October 3, 1980 (age 36 years), Pahokee, FL

This guy? Not many 37 year old wide receivers lighting it up in the NFL.

Needs (regardless of whether or not everyone is retained):

edge rusher(s)
cover LB
TE
OT (Backup level if a veteran, high starter potential if draftee)
IOL (especially center)
DB7

If Floyd is not kept, the team should look for a Speed WR.
If Amendola is not kept, the team should look for a Quicks (slot) WR.
If Blount is not kept, or questionable, the team should look for a RB1.
If Branch is not kept, the team will need a DT.
If JAG is not kept, the backup QB spot will be a telling decision.
If Harmon is not kept, the team will need a S3
If Ryan is not kept, the team will need a CB2/CB3

While BB will toss us a curve about anything, I don't see any way that Hightower or Butler get away.

G - Evan Mathis/Jahri Evans - Both old guys in a similar situation. I think they have 1-2 good years left. Bring them in on a 1 yr deal to improve your OL short term? Very possible.

Unless you have no faith in Thuney I dont see the point in bringing someone in. Mason is on a trajectory to be a probowl level guard and in terms of immediate depth we have Tre Jackson as well.

I suppose we will draft 1-2 developmental guys on day 3 for the inside. No reason to sign any vets really.

Now center is a different story.

Lets talk about some guys we think would look good in our uniform that haven't worn it yet. A lot of this of course depends on who we resign but some names are always nice.

Mine?

TE - Cook - Assuming Bennett is gone I don't think we want a draft pick to step in as the #2. Cook isn't a good blocker but one of the better pass catching TEs. Slim pickings at TE this year for vets.

WR - Bolden - Floyd will be the often talked about option and should be but Bolden is a guy I have liked a long time. It would be short term but he can offer you something short term and would not break the bank. They could go bigger here but I don't like the idea of paying a WR more than Edelman.

I will not do QB/OT

DE - I don't wanna list just one name here cause there are a lot and I could see the Pats looking to really invest in this spot. However one guy I think be fun to get is Freeney. He still has it and him and Brady on the same team be fun. If they want to go big though I like Melvin Ingram as he is just as good vs the run and the pass.

DT - Calais Campbell. BB loves him. He can do it all. Looking for a few more years and is a top talent. Lets get it done. This guy I and other fans REALLY want.

LB - Again a lot of names here are interesting if they want to go the FA route. I really have no favorites but think they would choose not too pay too much for a guy here after they pay Hightower. So maybe a rental FA and draft pick? I don't think there is a good rental option here for them but who knows.

CB - If Ryan walks who comes in? Depends what they want to do but i think think 2 CBs on big long term deals of 10M+ is in the cards most likely. So Leon Hall be a good option. He could still play 2-3 very solid years on reasonable money.

S - IMO if you decide to let Harmon walk you just draft a guy. A lot of other Safeties in the market so maybe his price is lower than we think? If you want to sign someone it will be on short money cause McCourty/Chung take up a lot of cash (for good reason) Rashad Johnson or Matt Elam are both okay depending on what you are looking for and won't cost too much.

No offense intended but I kind of hate your list. There is almost no chance that BB signs any of those players, mainly because they are either over-the-hill or were never that good. They usually sign several under-the-radar players that most of us have never heard of. Campbell is talented but will likely cost too much.

I haven't had the chance to really look at the outside free agent list but one person in whom I would have interest is Jack Doyle, if they do not resign Bennett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back