SOURCE:WEEI

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Eagles
Sun
Nov 17th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Tough Result
The Ravens made a couple of key plays and handed the Patriots their first loss of the 2019 season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

ESPN: 49ers forfeit 5th, swap 3rd with Bears for tampering with Briggs [mergedx2]

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by groundgame, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17,648
    We will never know the truth in the matter. All we know is the 49ers dispute the claims although it goes against what they stated publically in the past on this matter.

My guess is that they did attempt to contact Rosenhaus to do a deal. Their excuse that they were contacting him about a no name WR that was available on the open market right before the trade deadline seems to be a little fishy of an excuse. It could be true, but I doubt it.

I will say that Goodell didn't seem to have the goods on 49ers to actually prove they tampered, but I am guessing that their story was transparent enough to allow him to make up a decision.

2. pao

pao Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3
    Come on. No way that happens.

sdfan

3. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +2,566
    No NFL team was ever allowed to video tape defensive signals, no matter where the camera was positioned, so let's stop with that. Both teams cheated, that's plain and simple. What I don't understand is how you think the 49ers should have been punished more severely when they never even made contact with Rosenhaus. No tampering even happened. In the end, a player and agent choose where they want to go and just because you call them first doesn't guarantee anything. Unless, you're Asante Samuel.

4. pao

Ratings:
    +3
    Plus whatever compensation the 49ers would have had to give the Bears as part of the deal. Remember Briggs wasn't a free agent. I believe the penalty would have been much harsher if Briggs had been an unrestricted free agent and had been signed by SF. As it was there was no deal and Briggs re-signed with the Bears anyway.

sdfan

5. pao

Ratings:
    +3
    The Eagles should have to switch places with every team in the league too then. After all by tampering they kept all other teams from getting a chance at Samuel.

sdfan

6. BSR

BSR In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +486
    Because they did make contact. That is why they were punished. Did you think he just took away the pick because he felt like it? There had to be some evidence. If there wasn't evidence of tampering then they wouldn't have been punished. Some "source" saying otherwise doesn't make any sense what so ever.

Also, you forget that the 49ers are repeat offenders. First salary cap violations now free agent tampering. They almost definitely should be punished more harshly for that fact alone. If you think otherwise, please explain why tampering deserves less of a punishment of videotaping.

7. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +52,508
    You are wrong about the filming. This has been proven, repeatedly. Go read the rule or read one of seemingly thousands of threads on the issue.

As for tampering, of course it happened. The league says so, and that's the same way we know the Patriots violated a rule they didn't violate.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  8. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=391007

Yep, Florio did use my joke, as he told me he would:

9. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,212
    For once, I agree with Florio--by giving teams an incentive to come forward, the NFL might actually slow down the wave of tampering.

Personally, I think a better solution would be a change in the way FA works (e.g., a cool-down period when teams are free to negotiate, but no player may sign a contract with a new team).

10. fourthandmiles

fourthandmiles On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0
    The days before the open season we should have all our future free agents walk around with their dicks hanging out and get the cameras zoomed in to see who pulls. Maybe we could somehow got enough swaps to get eventually equal our first being lost, if that is how the game is gonna be played.

11. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,590
    I think the 49ers should have one of their wins taken away... and thus the Pats should now own the #3 overall pick. :D

12. castlelong1

castlelong1 Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    He was sarcastic, saying Goodell would find a way to punish the Patriots. It was sarcasm.

13. castlelong1

castlelong1 Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure, but wasn't that pre-memo. If I remember that is what prompted the the memo.

14. castlelong1

castlelong1 Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    He is saying it happened and the league let teams handle it on their own. Are you purposefully being obtuse?:D

15. flasox27

flasox27 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,044
    Tampering with other teams personnel has always been against the rules. You can go back to the Dolphins tampering with Shula when he was the Colt's coach and that they were fined a first roungd draft pick.
    The Pats can if they want file a teampering complaint against the Eagles to frost the azz of Goodell and Spector. I wonder if the blowhard is in favor of enforcing all the rules against cheating. Maybe Leahy and Kennedy can hold hearing about the Eagles cheating.

16. fourthandmiles

fourthandmiles On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0
    Why isn't Arlan Spectum all over this one? It is directly related to competition AND compensation. Isn't that what the Antitrust excemption all about? Isn't that where his "concern" about Spygate comes from?

How is Spygate worse than this from his point of view? Seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.