PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: 49ers forfeit 5th, swap 3rd with Bears for tampering with Briggs [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what about an investigation into all past player negotiations by the 49ers? Did the NFL ask for all past notes and the like from the niners? They are repeat offenders afterall.

It also doesn't matter if they were succesfull or not in signing Briggs. Its the fact that they tried to bypass league rules and were caught. Just as the pats weren't sucessful in using their taped material but were caught. It is a joke that their punishment was only a 5th in comparison to what the Pats were penalized. If anyone can give me an explanation of that one I would love to hear it.

Most of the San Man 69er fans our bashing the Patriots heavily and saying goodell favors us lmao.:rolleyes:

How spectacularly awesome would it be if the Pats filed a grievance against the Eagles over Asante Samuel, and the Eagles had to hand their second round pick over to the Pats? Arlen Specter's head would actually explode.

I'm sure someone else already mentioned this, but will the Patriots be switching one of their picks with the Eagles soon? After all, even Peter King knew about the contact going on between Samuel and the Eagles well before the start of free agency....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm sure someone else already mentioned this, but will the Patriots be switching one of their picks with the Eagles soon? After all, even Peter King knew about the contact going on between Samuel and the Eagles well before the start of free agency....:rolleyes:

That's only because Peter King is soo intuitive about these situations how else would he be so great?;)

I wonder if Goodell would sacrifice his firstborn or his second and third.

Such a positive note for my first post.

So what about an investigation into all past player negotiations by the 49ers? Did the NFL ask for all past notes and the like from the niners? They are repeat offenders afterall.

It also doesn't matter if they were succesfull or not in signing Briggs. Its the fact that they tried to bypass league rules and were caught. Just as the pats weren't sucessful in using their taped material but were caught. It is a joke that their punishment was only a 5th in comparison to what the Pats were penalized. If anyone can give me an explanation of that one I would love to hear it.
it wasn't the Patriots..therefore, it will be in line with other penalties for NON-Patriot offenses..

I was listening to Fox Sports radio this morning and they spent a whole 30 seconds on the topic. And the host, Ben Maller basically said the he can't understand why they would punish the 49ers since Briggs did not sign with them. I bet this is the type of respone we get from every sports reported outside of New England. As stated by many in this thread, if it were the Pats who did it, there would be outcry for the suspension of BB and the lose of the 7th pick in the draft.

Another point, I find it amusing that according to Goodell, the Pats gained no competitive edge by filming the Jets, but we still lost a 1st round pick. But doesn't talking to a player, a pro bowl caliber player, before they are allowed to and before any other team are allowed to give them a competative edge over all those teams in signing him to a contract?

Welcome to the Brave New World of the NFL sponsored by the Jetmissioner, lifelong NY fan and Patriot hater

All teams are equal but some are more equal than others (that means you Pats).

I just heard Mike Greenberg on ESPN Radio say that he is upset with the punishment on the 49ers because the fine is too close to what the Pats got fined for Spygate and what the Pats did was far worse. He said all the 49ers did was try to talk to Rosenhaus about Briggs, but never did. What a moron!

When is a first round pick and $750k the same as a fifth round and swapping thirds? When is trying to tamper with a player far worse than videotaping the defensive signals from the wrong location?

The Pats were wrong and were punished, but tampering is a far worse crime than a lot of people in the media want to give credit to it. I guess it isn't as sexy as videotaping the opponents defensive signals.

I just heard Mike Greenberg on ESPN Radio say that he is upset with the punishment on the 49ers because the fine is too close to what the Pats got fined for Spygate and what the Pats did was far worse. He said all the 49ers did was try to talk to Rosenhaus about Briggs, but never did. What a moron!

When is a first round pick and $750k the same as a fifth round and swapping thirds? When is trying to tamper with a player far worse than videotaping the defensive signals from the wrong location?

The Pats were wrong and were punished, but tampering is a far worse crime than a lot of people in the media want to give credit to it. I guess it isn't as sexy as videotaping the opponents defensive signals.

I was listening as well...but it wasn't Mike Greenberg it was someone subbing for MIke. The part that got me was this sub, whomever it was, was saying that the pats were taping the jets in a clandestine manner. WTF..there was nothing clandestine about it..it was done in view of God and everyone else. You see how these things get spun.

Probably a Jets homer who couldn't comprehend that when someone is having a video camera right opposite you and pointing the camera at you, chances are that they might be filming you. :D

Another reason why I dont listen or watch anything ESPN related anymore. They really are a bunch of know nothing clowns.

I was listening as well...but it wasn't Mike Greenberg it was someone subbing for MIke. The part that got me was this sub, whomever it was, was saying that the pats were taping the jets in a clandestine manner. WTF..there was nothing clandestine about it..it was done in view of God and everyone else. You see how these things get spun.

You are right. It was Eric Cassilius. My bad.

I do think it is funny that someone would think filming right in the open on the sidelines is clandestine. Isn't that the exact opposite of clandestine.

I am sorry, but tampering with a player (maybe not this case in particular) is worse than what the Pats did. Yes, they did videotape signals, but stealing signals is part of football. You tamper with a player and you can force a team to lose their player all together. Just look at the Lawyer Milloy situation. How is videotaping signals that teams try to steal all the time anyway even if they aren't videotaping them worse than a team letting an agent illegally know they can get more on the open market so that they either don't negotiate at all with their current team or force a break all together?

Last edited:
So much for Goodell's "FAIRNESS."

The 49ers commit an act that is much more serious than the Patriots and they get a slap on the wrist.

Loss of a 5th round pick and swapping of 3rds? Who the hell are you kidding?

That's not a punishment.

When the Patriots taping incident was reported to Goodell, he
was furious over the situation according to the reports. He came
down on the Patriots with the most severe punishment of all time.

In the tampering situation, initially Goodell did not want to be
involved. He wanted the two parties to settle the situation among
themselves. When SF and Chicago could not resolve the issue,
Goodell had the meeting and handed out a rather mild punishment.

I can't see why the San Franciso GM escaped without a fine.

When the Patriots taping incident was reported to Goodell, he
was furious over the situation according to the reports. He came
down on the Patriots with the most severe punishment of all time.

In the tampering situation, initially Goodell did not want to be
involved. He wanted the two parties to settle the situation among
themselves. When SF and Chicago could not resolve the issue,
Goodell had the meeting and handed out a rather mild punishment.

I can't see why the San Franciso GM escaped without a fine.

Wow, Goodell is all 'blowing smoke' about his new sheriff in town approach if this is true. Tampering should be a huge deal in this league. An d to the SF queers team: STFU! (& thanks for the pick at #7!)

Wow, Goodell is all 'blowing smoke' about his new sheriff in town approach if this is true. Tampering should be a huge deal in this league. An d to the SF queers team: STFU! (& thanks for the pick at #7!)

According to this story from the Chronicle, the 49ers never even made contact with Rosenhaus. And in another scenario, they attemptd to make contact in an effort to beat the trade deadline. So I don't know how this can be compared to the blatant videotaping of defensive signals.

More On Tampering
Two NFL sources now say the team is mystified about being stripped of a fifth-round pick and a swap of third-round choices with the Chicago Bears for tampering.

The penalty arose after the Bears charged the 49ers with negotiating with linebacker Lance Briggs' agent Drew Rosenhaus before the trading deadline last October. Teams can not negotiate with players under contract with another team.

However, according to two league scources, the 49ers never tampered. The only evidence introduced in last week's hearing in New York was a phone record between Rosenhaus and the 49ers, in which the sources say the 49ers never made contact with the agent.

Even if the 49ers had talked to Rosenhaus, their plan was to discuss the availability of wide receiver Taylor Jacobs, another Rosenhaus client, and not Briggs. Jacobs eventually signed with Denver.

One source said the penalty grew out of the pressure on NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for spygate and the need to punish teams for even preceived wrong-doing.

Another source said the 49ers contacted Chicago about a trade for Briggs at 9:30 a.m. pst on Oct. 16, three hours before the trade deadline. Since Briggs was the Bears' franchise player, the 49ers hoped Chicago would get back to them immediately, so they could make the deal and workout an extension for Briggs.

The Bears didn't return the call until 12:30 p.m., and by that time, the 49ers only had a half hour to workout an extension, so San Francisco called the deal off.

The Bears have been tight-lipped about the entire situation, which might be partly to do with their desire to trade Briggs at one time. Apparently news that Briggs was on the trading block got back to him through a fellow NFL player.

The Bears, who re-upped with Briggs on a six-year deal March 1, didn't want Briggs to know they wanted to trade him at one time, which may have motivated them to say the 49ers were so aggressive in trading for him, they contacted Rosenhaus without permission.

PATs got Hammered by Goodell for using a camera in the wrong spot.

49ers tried to get a competitive advantage by getting a deal done
before it was allowed.

Both wrong things but .... these fines and draft picks are way too much.

BTW, how does Goodell determine the penalty? Is there any rule or
is it just how he's feeling that day?

According to this story from the Chronicle, the 49ers never even made contact with Rosenhaus. And in another scenario, they attemptd to make contact in an effort to beat the trade deadline. So I don't know how this can be compared to the blatant videotaping of defensive signals.

Well, weren't both teams found guilty of something that had previously been allowed, at least tacitly, by the league? Aren't both teams on record as saying that their interpretation of the applicable rule(s) was different than the league's? Well, guess what..... according to the league, both teams cheated. And, according to common sense, what SF did (tampering) was more likely to lead to a serious long-term advantage to them and a serious long-term disadvantage for the aggrieved team. Therefore, the 49ers should have been punished more severely than the Patriots were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back