PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Epic Battle of Elite QB's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming the Pats take care of business against the fish, next Sunday is setting up to be not only the most epic regular season clash in NFL history between two teams, but also between two quarterbacks.

Steelers #7 threw for his third career 500-yard game (all WINS) against the Ravens Sunday night, to carry an 11-2 record into the highly anticipated matchup against the Patriots on December 17th. (Tom Brady has only one 500-yard game in his career.) Even more impressive is the screen capture of the current league-leading passer, rusher, and receiver - also known as the "3 B's." From NFL.com, below, we see that Roethlisberger, Bell, and Brown each lead the league in yardage for their respective categories:

NFL Player Stats | NFL.com
This is a tiny bit hysterical.

Guys however, he's not a troll. A troll is not what he is. He fully acknowledges that Brady is goat BUT Big Ben is a mini-goat. Or a lamb. You guys just don't see it. So Gatekeeper must reiterate the point every 5 years. Or 10. THREE 500 yard games, you guys! Stats that are a hair's width behind Brady's. C'mon you guys Big Ben is legit all-time great and almost-goat, you guys! :(
The GOAT vs the RAPIST.

He wasn't much better in the divisional round against the Jets.

Fun Fact: The Squealers are 0-6 when Roeth throws 34 times or more and 13-1 when he throws 33 or less. The loss- 2004 vs NE

Fun Fact #2 The NEP are 15-9 when Tom throws 34 times or more and and 10-0 when Tom throws 33 times or less.

Last edited:
Is it his fault though? Or the defense's? Ben put up 39 points against the Ravens D. That is good.

Seems to me we have 2 high powered offenses going at each other, defenses that have had success of late, but with holes in them to be exploited by the best the league has to offer; and Patriot fans looking at stopping Ben, Antonio and Leveon with Flowers hurt and Van Noy nicked should be worried.

39 pts against the ravens d is good. 38 given up to the ravens O is bad.

39 pts against the ravens d is good. 38 given up to the ravens O is bad.
Losing Jimmy Smith vs DET really hurt BAL last night. Expecting rookie Humphrey, 53 year old Ladarious Webb and 51 year old Brandon Carr to cover those guys was a tall order.

(Although Montana's 4-0 record with 11 TD's and 0 INT's in the Super Bowl may have a case against Brady's 5-2, 15-5 ratio. I still give the nod to Tom.)

I'll never understand why fans of other teams REWARD Montana for throwing INTs in earlier playoff games and losing earlier playoff games. It makes no sense. You're punishing Brady for winning more championship games than Montana! He's been to 3 more Super Bowls than Montana, and not only that, but he threw his INTs in some of his best performances (Seattle and Atlanta). Crazy stuff.

I'll never understand why fans of other teams REWARD Montana for throwing INTs in earlier playoff games and losing earlier playoff games. It makes no sense. You're punishing Brady for winning more championship games than Montana! He's been to 3 more Super Bowls than Montana, and not only that, but he threw his INTs in some of his best performances (Seattle and Atlanta). Crazy stuff.

They do it because they are dumb.

Roethlisberger came THIS close to losing both Super Bowls he played in, and had he lost them then his legacy would be a Steve McNair or Tony Romo, great QB but probably not a Hall of Famer. Its why I don't value rings much when judging a QB's worth.

I know it's best to ignore the idiots

When I see someone trying to bedazzle us with bullcrap, though,

I just can't help in flummoxing him (or her) with facts

I'm sure, with the ease Brady always shreds Pittsburgh defenses, he could pass for 500 yards, but he probably gets bored and lets the RB run out the clock. For example, in the 55-31 win he only threw for 432 yards. Probably wanted to cool down and have some avocado ice cream.

You and a couple other posters above you have said very nice things and looked at the situation objectively. That is much appreciated!

Again, as I have said recently and have said since '07, no one is boldly proclaiming that Ben and Brady are equals, as the career accomplishments of each bear that out. As opposed to '07, we are now at a point where no QB in history can claim to be Brady's equal. (Although Montana's 4-0 record with 11 TD's and 0 INT's in the Super Bowl may have a case against Brady's 5-2, 15-5 ratio. I still give the nod to Tom.)
Please explain how getting eliminated early in the playoffs 3 times is better than going to 3 SBs and going 1-2.

However, it cannot be dismissed that Ben remains in striking distance, provided he does not retire within the next 2-3 seasons. He absolutely has the offensive weaponry to make serious SB runs for the foreseeable future, and contrary to rumors of his demise early in the season, he obviously is still physically capable.
Striking distance of what? Surely not Brady, who is only widening the gap.
Rapistburger hasn’t been to a SB in 7 years and is 3-4 in the playoffs since 2010. They have scored under 20 points in 5 of those 7 games and have averaged less than 20 as well.
He has 6 TDs and 7 Ints in 7 playoff games since 2010. His only trip to a conf championship was a blowout 36-17 by the patriots.

Brady on the other hand since 2010 has brought his team to all 6 afccgs.
He has a record of 11-4. He has won and been to as many SBs in that time frame as BR has in his life. He threw 33 TD passes in the same 6 years br threw 6.

If Brady’s career hadn’t started until after the steelers lost their last SB his career would still be better and he was a hall of famer before that.
It isn’t even in the vicinity of close.

That's what makes this season's matchups against the Pats crucial and historically epic. If the Steelers can finally get past NE this year and Ben wins a third ring, Brady vs. Ben is still a conversation. If NE again ousts Pit, the conversation is over for good. As Apollo Creed says to Adrian in Rocky III - "It's over. It's alllll over."
I understand that since you are gunning for the patriots it’s epic to you. To us you are just this years pretender.

my bad, I did mess up the math on this one, and only one, stat, in my haste. Let's look at the real numbers

regular season, Tom is 193-54, 0.781
proof: Tom Brady Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

regular season, Ben is 134-62, 0.684
proof: Ben Roethlisberger Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Q how many games in a row would Tom have to lose to match Ben's winning percentage?

193/(193+54+x) = 0.684

193 = 132 + 37 + 0.684 x

x= (193-132-37)/0.684 = 35

fact: If Tom Brady lost the next 35 games as a starter, he'd match Ben

so, if New England becomes worse than Cleveland has ever been, for the next three years straight, it will equalize.

I will re-crunch the other numbers too.
Perhaps your math was off because you were calculating the number of wins Ben needs to equal Brady’s win %?
221-62 = .781
So actually is 77.
If Ben R goes 76-1 in his next 77 games he still will not catch Brady in win %.

Gatekeeper, you can't use stats from our game day threads. Pat's are about a 500 team if you believe the fans posting on ito_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes