PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - The "Gronk" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry about last week. I'll explain at the end, but this was a great game to watch (FINALLY) with an ending that was totally unexpected. Harmon is getting all the initial kudo's for his last second pick, but it was ROWE who made the big play. Harmon was just the guy who was in the right spot. So lets get started and try and finish this by midnight. I really need a good night's sleep. ;)

1. General Game thoughts

a. FINALLY we get to see a great game to watch, regardless of the outcome. We had two very good teams who both played very good football. It was a joy to watch (except for the Shuster catch and run at the end. ;) )

b. I thought the first half was Ben Rothlessburger's finest half of football that I've ever seen him play. He was extremely accurate with his passes and got the ball to the right man time and time again, even against tight coverage. He constantly put the ball into a spot only HIS receiver could get to.

c. This might also have been the best game planning the Steelers coaching staff put together for the Pats in recent memory. On offense they FINALLY got Ben to stop going deep on 3rd and short (except for the first series) and take the short yardage plays and keep the sticks moving, and he did it very well to the tune of 21 first downs and a big advantage in time of possession.

On defense they dumped the zone blitz defense they had relied on for decades, and went into a tight man coverage that, was fairly effective at at slowing down the Pats receivers. With the exception of Gronk, the rest of the Pats RB's and WR's did very little.

d. So in a game where the Steelers were on fire for most of the game getting good games from their QB, RB's and receiver's ( IIRC the only thing close to a drop was the play AB got hurt), and the Pats were far from perfect in their execution I found it telling that the Pats were NEVER more than a score down and always "in the game".

It clearly felt like the Steelers were in control of this game, yet they couldn't shed the Pats. In this case the Pats were like a little brother who won't leave you alone, or better yet, a piece of sh!t on the sole of your shoe that you can't get off. ;) What does that say about this so called "rivalry"? Even at their best, and at HOME, they can't beat the Pats.

e. I was nervous about Corrente and his crew. Prior to this game they seemed to be flag happy. So even though Gronk was probably held on every play he went out on, over all there were only 8 accepted penalties during this game where only the most egregious penalties were called, on both sides AND boy tempo of the game was much better for it.

BTW- the fact the Pat only had 2 of those 8 penalties was a big reason for the end result. That's a fantastic job of discipline by the Pats (especially the offense) in a tough and hostile environment.

f. Real good to see Ryan Shazier up and about. And for that matter it's good to hear that AB might be back for the playoffs. He's such a good player that he's a pleasure to watch, even when he plays against your team. But that being said, I'll never fear losing to the Steelers at home. Ben is now a different QB on the road.

g. I loved that wheel route and back that the Steelers ran against Flowers a couple of times. While he was in decent position if he'd kept running, he was totally out of his depth to recover on the come back. But then you have to ask the question, why the F*ck would you put your best pass rusher in coverage against the RB who leads the league in catches. :rolleyes:

At any rate I thought it was kind of an interesting route that I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats use in some upcoming game.

2. OFFENSE -

a General comments - Everyone seemed to know that the Steelers were FINALLY going to try something different this week, yet I felt the Pats should have been doing more motion, bunch formations, and/or pick plays in order to free up more of our WRs.

b. What we saw tonight, added to what Miami did last week is the latest "Blueprint" on how to defend the Patriots offense - A 4 man rush trying to create inside pressure, with a tight man coverage trying to shut down the mini Pats receiver and their mini RB's. I can't image we will see something different for the rest of the season.

c. Brandon Cooks is averaging 17 ypc. He has 6 TD's and almost a 1000 yds with 2 games to go in the regular season. If the season ended now, it would be considered a very good season for his first season with the Pats. BUT, the more I see of him the more I believe he will be worth every cent we will be paying him the next 2 years, but NOT a guy who you want to be your #1 WR and pay $11-14MM/yr as an elite receiver going past 2018. He just isn't a guy who can create separation against good physical man coverage. Right now he isn't strong enough IMHO/

In a sense he's the offensive Melvin Butler, who is a very GOOD player, but one that doesn't quite play up to the level you want to play a guy as an elite CB. In the same way, Cooks is good, perhaps very good, but NOT Antonio Brown (who is an freak at his size), or a Julio Jones. I'd gladly extend him in the $8-10MM range, but let him walk after 2018 if he wants more

Of course, with a full season under his belt and another year with Brady, his game MIGHT expand, as well as his impact on the offense, and I would , of course, feel free to change my mind. ;)

d. Gronk had 9 catches for 168, and a game so impactful that he get's the honor to have this post named for him. ;) And as I watched this dominant performance, you have to wonder that if the Pats really wanted to target this guy 10-14 targets a game, he could duplicate this performance EVERY single week.

Granted if they did do that, it is also likely that he wouldn't last the season, but its good to know that at any point you can "unleash" him and there doesn't seem to be much the opponent can do about it.

HOWEVER, that being said, they WILL try and do something about and it will be up to the rest of the receiving corps to step up and create more offense than we've seen the last 2 weeks from anyone not named Gronkowski. Does anyone not think that Gronk will be double and tripled by the Bills. They will be doing everything in their power to take Gronk out of the game next week, and not just for revenge. Believe me that you can devise a defensive scheme that will limit a player's impact no matter how great he is. We've seen BB do it to almost every team we play for the last 17 years. So I wouldn't be surprised to see Gronk less impactful next week.

e. QB- I thought Brady had another good "workman-like" game. Some good throws and some not so good. Some great decisions and some he's going to cringe at when he sees the film. Lately I'm getting the feeling that he's predetermining his receiver before the snap, and when he's not open, he's either throwing the ball anyway, or he's not picking out his secondary receivers as well as I've seen him lately.

One play comes to mind was a long throw to a well covered Cooks, when it was clear before the snap that Amendola was going to be wide open for anything in the 8-12 yd range. Anyone else see that play. Romo even commented on it. Now this is a bit of nitpicking, of course, but Brady has set the bar high, and I don't feel uncomfortable demanding he reach it every single game. Funny but for some reason that play bothered me even more than the interception, which was a total brain fart and pretty much inexcusable.

But Bottom line, when the game was on the line and the Pats needed a come from behind drive, AND the 2 point conversion, Brady came through like he has 50 times before. Still the GOAT.

BTW- one interesting thing about Brady, I've noticed a several times that explained his longevity a bit more. When Brady knows his about to be hit, he almost NEVER stands into the hit. There were at least 2 occasions in this game when it was clear the almost at the moment of impact Brady was falling AWAY from the hit, completely minimizing the impact. We have heard a lot about Brady's workouts including "how to fall" exercises for a while. Watching it in action is kind of impressive to see. Look for it.

f. OL - I'd say it was a really good day for the OL - The Pats ran only 54 plays because of the Steelers ball control, and only 35 drop backs. There were 2 sacks, one was a coverage sack, and only about 4 or 5 hits IRRC. I think that's a good night against a good team. The run game was particularly effective tonight and a lot has to do with the run blocking averaging close to 5ypc for the night, but on only 17 rushes.

Special Kudo's to both Nate Solder and Cam Flemming who, from the couch, looked like they shut out whoever the Steelers had rushing. Joe Thuney had some issues with Cam Heywood, but most guard do. But in the end Heywood made a few plays, but never had a huge impact on the game.

I'd like to think that it would be much better to see us go back to running the ball 25-30 times a game. And it could be that the Mike Gilleslee era is about to reemerge next week.

g. RB's- A mixed night for the RB's. Leveon Bell might have had the big number's but it was Dion Lewis who had a higher ypc average at over 5 ypc (Bell was a very respectable 4.7 more on that later) On the other hand Burkhead's injury and White's continued decline back to anonymity were negatives on the group. Also the sure handed Devlin dropped a pass that helped kill a drive

White has been pretty much written out of the offense over the last month, much like Gillislee. I wonder what has happened that caused this. In fact it seems to me that the entire RB group has seen their role in the passing game diminished lately. Is it by design? or something else. Good talking point.

h. Receivers - outside of Gronk they were all pretty much afterthoughts in the game. Again, I didn't think Josh did enough to help them get open against such strong man to man coverage. The fact is that we really don't have any guys to have the skills to get open against tight man coverage. They NEED to get some help by either formation, route design, or motion.

Kenny Britt got a catch in the first quarter and I don't think I saw him again, though it would be too much to ask for more. In his post game interview his did his best "is this heaven? No its the Patriots" interview, which I thought was entertaining. ;)

But his signing, despite his checkered past, makes one wonder about 2 things. One, the real health of Chris Hogan, or could his signing be a concession to the fact they need a guy who, because of his size, can be open even when he's covered or other wised known as Michael Floydd II. Clearly its not going to be Dwayne Allen.

BTW- perhaps Gronk's most impressive catch was the low ball Brady threw him that he somehow kept from hitting the ground. his ability to lift that ball up, while his entire momentum was going in the opposite direction was just freakishly athletic.

Last edited:
3. DEFENSE -

a. Front Seven - I was very pleasantly surprised in how good the pass rush was. They got only 2 sacks, but even that was more than I expected. Plus they hit Rothlessberger a lot. I'd have to guess the number was in the 8-10 range, but it seemed like Ben got hit a lot more than Brady did. I'd be interested in seeing the final numbers on that state when they come out.

Detrich Wise seemed to have rebounded from a slump and seemed to generate a LOT of push from the outside and after the first quarter seemed to get a lot of consistent pressure off the edge. Lee seemed to hold his own; on the rush and had one sack in his grasp, but couldn't bring Big Ben down. Again I'll be interested in seeing the PFF numbers, just to get an INDICATION of how they were doing. ;)

Leveon Bell averaged 4.7 ypc and had almost 120 yds rushing, but over 50 of those yds came on sweeps to open the 2nd half. After that point the Pats defended that play much better. So despite the fact the Pats were playing without their leading tackler and best run defender, more the most part, I thought the defended the run pretty well against the best runner and one of the best OL's in the league. JMHO

The LB's however were a problem I think. ERoberts had his usual feast or famine game. He was in on 6 tackles, took his shots to make big plays and came up short more than you'd like. The worst example on this came on Bell's TD run, where Roberts shot the gap, and came free into the backfield and failed to make the play, which opened a wide gap that made it an easy run to paydirt. Harris had 4 solo tackles, but never seemed to have a major impact. Neither seemed to figure much into any pass defense either.

This isn't going to get much better. We are missing our top 3 LB's from last season's championship team. Hopefully we'll get one back in the next game or two, but in the meantime it looks like our LB's are Roberts, Harris, and MFlowers :eek: and then a lot DB's. Seriously folks, this is an area of the team that needs some upgrades in the off season.

j. Secondary- Gilmore is going to get some heat. Troy Brown mentioned that he got is ass kicked. Yet when I checked the stats the guy Gilmore primarily covered had 4 catches for 59 yds and 39 of them came on a play that most of us thought was an overthrown ball (unfortunately one of those people was Stephan Gilmore). Now Gilmore also was on Smith Shuster a few times, but I don't know how well he did with him. BTW- Gilmore also led the team with 8 solo tackles. All in all, it was not what I'd ideally want, but not nearly as bad as "getting your ass kicked"

Pat Chung had another unsung hero job that we've come to expect. He was mostly on Jessie James who had 10 catches and 2 TD's last week, but Chung held him to 2 catches and 7 yds before Jame got open for the TD pass that wasn't. Chung has been consistently good this season and has gotten very little fanfare for his excellent play.

Boy I'm glad Eric Rowe is back, and I hope we can keep him long term. He was victimized on one of Ben's TD passes, but on closer look you can't help but notice that the coverage was more than just pretty good. Rothlessberger threw the perfect pass just over Rowe's finger tips into the ONLY place the receiver could get the ball. It happens.

I didn't hear Butler's name called much so I'm guessing he had a good day as well. Face it our secondary is going to be the strength of our defense and it will not only have to stay healthy, it will have to play WELL, if we are going deep into these playoffs.

4. Special teams - No great flash plays but ST's played a big role in the Pats win. Great KO coverage gave the Steelers starting position usually inside the 20. BB made a point in his presser to explain the importance, noting that if the last Steeler drive had started at the 25, the result of the game might have been different and he's right.

But that was the only play that pinned the Steelers deep. Ryan allen only had 2 punts, but he pinned (along with Matthew Slater) the Steelers on the 2 yd line. IIRC the Steeler eventually got the ball to around the 50 where they had to punt. Had the drive started at the 20 instead of the 2, the Steelers would have been in FG range and made the game a 2 score margin.

No negatives from ST's (OK I did see the extra point miss, but if we are going to start the whole, we need a new kicker thing because of that error. Then we might as well start the new QB search for the we QB because Brady had a major brain fart too. :rolleyes: )
5. General league thoughts.

Nice to see Jimmy doing so well, but just remember that for at least this season and next, Garapolo, if he stayed, would have STILL been the 2nd best QB on the team. And that's a fact even though Mike Giardi would probably beg to differ. ;)

BTW- Whoever is the DC of the Titans, really blew this game for them. He had them rushing 5 guys throughout that last drive opening up gaping holes in the Titan's secondary that Jimmy exploited. You couldn't help but thing that if that had been the Pats they would have rushed 3, invited short completions that would kill time without a lot of yards.

The irony of that is that the Pats were exactly in that position and because they blew multiple tackles on one play they almost blew the game. But that was a function of bad execution, not a function of a bad set of coaching decisions. BTW- I'll be interested in seeing a dissection of that play to find out who the main culprits where on that disaster. It should have been an 8 yd gain and caused Pittsburgh to use its final TO.

b. If you get a chance, read the full SI article on Pannthers owner Gerry Richardson, and you will understand exactly why he is going to sell the team at the end of this season, and its more than just a creepy old guy making inappropriate comments.

c. The Jags and Rams are both real, and if the Pats take either team lightly, they do so at their own risk. Just think back at what the rest of league thought about the Pats back before Kraft bought the team. OR even 2001, when they were voted the team LEAST likely to go a superbowl in the next 5 years. :eek:

d. On to the Bills. - The 8-6 Bills who are one of 3 AFC teams with that record, all of whom can make it to the playoffs. That will be one HUNGRY team coming down to Foxboro next week for a LOT of reasons. This game could be their superbowl. They have the playoffs at stake. They hate Gronk. And it's an AFCE rivalry game, and we saw what that can mean just last week. The next 2 are games we SHOULD win, but that doesn't mean we can't lose them either.

OK, that should get us started. As usual, feel free to comment, add to, or complain about my offering. Its now 1am EST. Not bad, only an hour after my self imposed dead line. ;) But I need to get to sleep now. Pardons in advance for any editing that didn't get done until tomorrow. ;)

Finally on a more serious note. I didn't post after the Miami game because of a personal matter that took me to California for a week. Not a happy time. Sorry about that.

Roethlisberger played a good game - until the last play. I'm stunned he threw it. The Steelers only had one guy run a route and that was a slant right into the middle of the D? Can't throw that - ever. As Romo said, if you want to throw, go for a fade to minimize the risk getting picked. But Roethlisberger's throw was just asking to get picked.

Great job by Brady and Gronk. As you said, not much separation from other WRs, and that’s been a problem. The loss of Burkhead could be big. Hopefully, we get him back in about a month or so, after we win the last two games at home and wrap up the bye. It will be good to see the team stay home and get some much needed rest, so winning these next two at home is crucial. That could mean staying in Foxborough for awhile.

There seems to be a regression in Thuney’s second year. All week long, the local media talked about the matchup with “62.” It didn’t seem to be as bad prior to the last few games, but I don’t think his numbers and ratings are as good as last year. Something to keep an eye on. Hopefully, it’s nothing.

Was a bit disappointed in the play of the front seven. I didn’t see quite as many pressures and hits as you did, and I thought they allowed Bell to dance and juke behind the line more than I expected. As you mentioned, it was frustrating to see Flowers attempting to cover Bell on multiple occasions.

It appeared that many members were openly communicating in the secondary on many plays, or at least more than usual, anyway. I couldn’t tell if this was necessarily a bad thing (could’ve been a good thing), but I suppose I expected a better showing considering that Brown was out for the game. In my mind, his absence should’ve simplified things quite a bit and theoretically allowed for a better gameplan with Bell, but that didn’t necessarily seem to be the case. Not sure why it appeared that way because the defense only allowed 7 points in the second half, but I’m guessing that it was the 3rd down conversions. At any rate, kudos for Patricia and company for tightening up the bend but don’t break aspect in the second half, and also for the coaching staff and players practicing their situational awareness.

Harmon is clutch with those end of game INTs. So happy that we kept him for the future. Not quite as forgiving of Gilmore as you seem to be. I think I side with Troy Brown on this one. It wasn’t just the out of position plays or missed coverages or whatever, but he also whiffed on some tackles even if he did end up leading the team. I don’t think it’s snything to be alarmed about, but I do think that he had a mediocre to poor game for the first time in awhile.

Can’t blame Gost for that miss. That was on the snapper and holder. Allen’s punt was huge in the fourth quarter. Good STs play in my opinion.

Great to see Roethlisberger, Tomlin, and Haley blow the game at the end. What a bunch of dumbasses. Terrible choice for Rogers to run in towards a bunch of defenders, even if he was expecting it to be clocked (which we don’t know is true or not). Still, I’d prefer to play another team in the postseason, instead. It feels like they’re getting closer to figuring this out. Or not.

I’m hoping for CLE and then IND in the postseason, but I’ll take CIN, too.

Nice write up, Ken.

My observations:

Are you we keeping the play book from fully revealed considering Lewis in particular has not been used in the short passing a game a lot?

Our secondary CBs kept getting beat in 1 on 1 match ups, especially by Schuster. That huge gain on their last drive in terms of execution was absolutely horrific by the defense.

The run defense and LBs in space will be an area teams with the right personnel should be able to take advantage of. Van Noy's absence for now has really show up how important his role is with HT out for the year.

PIT's game plan was quite well I must admit, they kept converting third downs and played very smart for the most part.

We started and ended the game moving the chains consistently, why did we suddenly get stale during the middle of the game? Was it because PIT was consuming TOP throwing our offense out of rhythm, or was it because of drops and/or getting cute with the play calling?

Thanks Ken. Great write up.

OT: I'm currently in the south on a contract job. Watched the game with my son on Whats App. I was seeing the game 5 seconds delayed from him. He kept screaming or whining during the good or bad plays so I kind of knew if the play was a good or bad one before the play happened.

Anyways it was probably one of the funnest games I've watched. The last two minutes of the game were just priceless. When Harmon intercepted the ball my son was just speechless. I saw his face but I couldn't tell if it was a good or bad reaction. hahahaha He just had an OMG face on him but didn't say anything. Finally he screamed "DAD" 'DAD" . hahahaha Freaking great.

Anyways nothing better than that..

I think the pats coaching staff should get a lot of credit considering they had to prepare for one of the best teams in the league on short rest, going into a hostile environment and not having branch, hogan and van noy.

...It clearly felt like the Steelers were in control of this game, yet they couldn't shed the Pats. In this case the Pats were like a little brother who won't leave you alone, or better yet, a piece of sh!t on the sole of your shoe that you can't get off. ;)

Or maybe the Rocky Balboa to Apollo Creed ;)

I loved that wheel route and back that the Steelers ran against Flowers a couple of times. While he was in decent position if he'd kept running, he was totally out of his depth to recover on the come back. But then you have to ask the question, why the F*ck would you put your best pass rusher in coverage against the RB who leads the league in catches.

My guess is that in some packages this is how the matchups just ended up and the depth situation made it difficult to check out of it. But those two are noted down for the review thread.

This might also have been the best game planning the Steelers coaching staff put together for the Pats in recent memory. On offense they FINALLY got Ben to stop going deep on 3rd and short (except for the first series) and take the short yardage plays and keep the sticks moving, and he did it very well to the tune of 21 first downs and a big advantage in time of possession.

Their entire first half was pretty well coached and executed even though they relied on some pretty stupid mistakes of our frontline to convert their 3rd & 5+ situations. You know there are some plays like that inside slant to JuJu on a 3rd & 2 that you essentially cant stop but then there are those where the team put themselves into a third down that is actually doable. But the margin for error with this front 7 is so thin that everything needs to be executed perfectly. Fortunately they were able to get those stops in the fourth quarter that they could not in the first half.

On defense they dumped the zone blitz defense they had relied on for decades, and went into a tight man coverage that, was fairly effective at at slowing down the Pats receivers. With the exception of Gronk, the rest of the Pats RB's and WR's did very little.

I think the amount of energy playing a lot of man coverage and our general advantage in conditioning showed in the final quarter when the Steelers were not able to get to Brady and also were not in a position anymore to play Gronk as tight as before. Our strength and conditioning has been an often unsung hero for many years now.

What we saw tonight, added to what Miami did last week is the latest "Blueprint" on how to defend the Patriots offense - A 4 man rush trying to create inside pressure, with a tight man coverage trying to shut down the mini Pats receiver and their mini RB's. I can't image we will see something different for the rest of the season.

It is pretty much the same blueprint we saw teams use last year so it is not really anything new. And it was also the reason we invested so heavily into speedy WRs and pivoted the offense to be less dink and dunk. Which connects well with your next point...

Brandon Cooks is averaging 17 ypc. He has 6 TD's and almost a 1000 yds with 2 games to go in the regular season. If the season ended now, it would be considered a very good season for his first season with the Pats. BUT, the more I see of him the more I believe he will be worth every cent we will be paying him the next 2 years, but NOT a guy who you want to be your #1 WR and pay $11-14MM/yr as an elite receiver going past 2018. He just isn't a guy who can create separation against good physical man coverage. Right now he isn't strong enough IMHO/

In a sense he's the offensive Melvin Butler, who is a very GOOD player, but one that doesn't quite play up to the level you want to play a guy as an elite CB. In the same way, Cooks is good, perhaps very good, but NOT Antonio Brown (who is an freak at his size), or a Julio Jones. I'd gladly extend him in the $8-10MM range, but let him walk after 2018 if he wants more

I totally agree with your point and have been saying the same thing for a few weeks now. He is having a nice season and the stats look good but Josh and Brady seem unable to leverage his skills in more than just deep routes and comebacks. They have been trying to give him the ball in space on screens or quick slants ever since the Texans game but it never really clicked to the point where he became a premier WR in the league. With the stuff they were trying to do early in the year they made me excited that we could have someone as efficient as AB on our hands but it never materialized and maybe thats why I feel a bit disappointed about his season overall.

That being said AB also didnt become an instant sensation so maybe next year is when things will really click. Either way if he continues to be limited in his route tree then Gronk will be the only real chess piece we will have in terms of receiving talent to beat man coverage.

perhaps Gronk's most impressive catch was the low ball Brady threw him that he somehow kept from hitting the ground. his ability to lift that ball up, while his entire momentum was going in the opposite direction was just freakishly athletic.

It was a copy of his 2013 TD catch against the Texans. If a stiff like Jimmy Graham tries that he most probably concusses himself by falling head first into the ground.

I was very pleasantly surprised in how good the pass rush was. They got only 2 sacks, but even that was more than I expected. Plus they hit Rothlessberger a lot. I'd have to guess the number was in the 8-10 range, but it seemed like Ben got hit a lot more than Brady did. I'd be interested in seeing the final numbers on that state when they come out.

I am was less excited by the front seven yesterday as they repeatedly let Ben off the hook with bad positioning and pocket containment. I am surprised nobody is raging at Lee for having the same brainfart of a tackle on Ben as Richards had last week on Cutler at the very end of the game. He got bailed out by Butler downing the Steelers receiver in bounds but it was the same level of atrocious tackling.

It really is showing that while his is a nice story there was a reason why he was just on the practice squad of the Bills. That being said Flowers also had some pretty bad moments especially on the edge.

The irony of that is that the Pats were exactly in that position and because they blew multiple tackles on one play they almost blew the game. But that was a function of bad execution, not a function of a bad set of coaching decisions. BTW- I'll be interested in seeing a dissection of that play to find out who the main culprits where on that disaster. It should have been an 8 yd gain and caused Pittsburgh to use its final TO.

Added play to the list of things for the review thread but can already tell you now that Richards and Rowe screwed that one up so badly. Both of them -- ironically -- played big roles on the Big Ben interception at the end though. So maybe some redemption.

Here the tackling attempt of Richards that should make BB send him to the moon:

Finally I dont want to go into your discussion of the secondary because without checking out A22 it is difficult but my knee-jerk reaction was that Rowe was simply awful and maybe still bothered by his hamstring. The rain would certainly not help. Gilmore had a solid day but will get a beating for that sideline completion to Bryant (which was a great catch) and the TD reception to Bryant where he essentially had to decide whether to commit holding right at the start of the play or DPI in the endzone once the stiff arm was set up. Butler had AB actuall

Last edited:
Looks like it was Joe Cordona who was at fault for the missed XP as well as a faulty long snap to the punter, Allen.

Also, didn’t even notice that Smith-Schuster and Bryant had re-enacted the suspension hit and subsequent taunting on Burfict last week, when Bryant caught the TD, not that I really care. Seems like there’s a bit of a maturity problem over there.

Are you we keeping the play book from fully revealed considering Lewis in particular has not been used in the short passing a game a lot?

He is staying in to help blocking. Thats the effect of Cannon being on IR. With Waddle and especially Fleming on the field we are playing with more bodies in pass protection. So him and Allen become mostly late progression dump offs.

They have been trying to give him the ball in space on screens or quick slants ever since the Texans game but it never really clicked to the point where he became a premier WR in the league.

This is going to get me killed around here, but Cooks plays soft. Routes where he's going to take a hit he's not as sure handed or determined. Same with 50/50 balls, he hasn't shown the ability to outfight the defender.

Now Marvin Harrison made a HOF career being that way, so that doesn't mean Cooks cant be a great player in the offense, but it's a difference between being great and being all-world.

This is going to get me killed around here, but Cooks plays soft. Routes where he's going to take a hit he's not as sure handed or determined. Same with 50/50 balls, he hasn't shown the ability to outfight the defender.

Now Marvin Harrison made a HOF career being that way, so that doesn't mean Cooks cant be a great player in the offense, but it's a difference between being great and being all-world.

I get what you are saying. I am not sure soft is the right word but I cant find a better term for it either. Either way I think the frustrating part is that it kinda feels like there is potential in him to be used more prominent if Josh & co could just figure out a way to put him into those positions.

That ending was awesome. One thing is itching my mind though. I don’t understand why all these teams with awesome running backs who ran over us all game long yet in the final half a minute, what do they do from seven yards out? They pass. I’m glad they are apparently insane or dumb but you’d think pro teams would know if you have time for two or three plays, you could run but these geniuses would rather throw it in the dumbest way imaginable. It’s bizzare

Either way I think the frustrating part is that it kinda feels like there is potential in him to be used more prominent if Josh & co could just figure out a way to put him into those positions.

Thinking about it some more maybe soft isn't the right word as you say. It's like mixing the "one touch and he goes down" aspect of White with a more laissez faire approach to playing the game. He seems fiery and passionate emotionally, but it doesn't translate into an aggressive "I'm going to impose my will on you" playing style.

what do they do from seven yards out

Saving time. That was yesterday's reason. They wanted a couple attempts at the end zone instead of just one if the first play failed.

Thinking about it some more maybe soft isn't the right word as you say. It's like mixing the "one touch and he goes down" aspect of White with a more laissez faire approach to playing the game. He seems fiery and passionate emotionally, but it doesn't translate into an aggressive "I'm going to impose my will on you" playing style.

My hopes are that they will find a consistent way to give him the ball in space come playoff time. That right there would be an absolute killer for our opponents. He has AB / Odell potential to make home run runs happen if the play design (and initial blocking) is right and we haven't seen it at all yet.

If we get that part somehow working I dont think there is a defense that can stop us consistently. It is a big if naturally...

That ending was awesome. One thing is itching my mind though. I don’t understand why all these teams with awesome running backs who ran over us all game long yet in the final half a minute, what do they do from seven yards out? They pass. I’m glad they are apparently insane or dumb but you’d think pro teams would know if you have time for two or three plays, you could run but these geniuses would rather throw it in the dumbest way imaginable. It’s bizzare

That right there is the importance of timeout management. If you have no timeouts left past the 2min warning running the ball becomes a very expensive thing to do.

This is also the main reason why people were pissed at Shanahan in the SB for not running on all three downs after the Julio Jones catch. At least make the other team burn their TOs so their playbook becomes smaller.

Welcome back PFK!

You know you are invested in the outcome of a game when you find yourself yelling at the TV....and I was yelling at my TV, walking away from my TV....... all the signs of a crazy person.
And like the Atlanta SB, I found myself repeating the same words..."Too many JAGs in key positions for NE to win." The DL, the LBs, the WRs, the interior OL. Then there was Gilmore's performance, the obligatory Brady head scratcher INT, the Ghost miss.
No way NE could possibly win.
But as we've seen so often in the league, especially against NE in big games, teams that seem to rule the afternoon fall short during crunch time .... aka .... Shrinkage....and NE is always ready to take advantage of shrinkage.

Regarding tactics....For years I've been saying (to myself...because I'm crazy)...the way for teams to beat NE is to release their RBs into the flats for easy swing passes because NE's safeties are typically in centerfield eliminating big pass plays. And this year KC, Mia, and now Pitt have taken what is given to them with much success. Factor in NE's practice squad DE/LB deployment, NE has never been more vulnerable. Pitt also utilized the screen pass in this area of the field and their blockers just swallowed up NE's DB's. NE's only salvation .... the field becomes too short near the goal line for teams to continue this exploitation.

Enough about the other teams offensive tactics.....Gronk carried this team on his back...and he had too considering how little faith Brady has in his WRs whose function these days is "decoy." I'm not sure where Gronk is at in terms of his bonus clauses...but I suspect BB will slide some extra yo soy fiesta dinero his way .....some way some how. He's all they got. Keep feeding the beast.

Looking forward, I'm very nervous about Buffalo who is playing very well right now...coming into Foxborough where NE has had trouble holding serve at home. Please...no emotional let down boys....I only want to yell at my TV one more time...in February.

OT: How great did Jimmy G look yesterday. Nothing NE could have done any differently...but I fear we will be repeating "What if" for the next 15 years.

Roethlisberger played a good game - until the last play. I'm stunned he threw it. The Steelers only had one guy run a route and that was a slant right into the middle of the D? Can't throw that - ever. As Romo said, if you want to throw, go for a fade to minimize the risk getting picked. But Roethlisberger's throw was just asking to get picked.

I believe that Ben wanted to spike the ball and go for the tie and OT but was over ruled by the OC who later said we play to win. I also believe the OC called the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News