PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle Shots - the slurred speech edition

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

Nikolai

Football Atheist
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Your weekly, drunken, ass version of a better weekly thread...now on weekdays...

IMG_1462.jpg

Tonight, as you can see, it's business as usual, and that means Woodford Reserve Kentucky Bourbon...unpretentious, doesn't disappoint, and goes down smooth; the perfect contrast to our fan experience this year.

Ah, Thursday...for most folks, it's Friday eve, another cog in the work week, but for all of us here at Idle Shots, Thursday is home to....not subpar football, but rather corporate happy hours. And to be honest, they're a mixed bag for me. Don't get me wrong, sanctioned drinking on weeknights is great, but a few years back, I found myself face-to-face with my ex-girlfriend, a California 10 who built a successful startup, retired, and now drives a G-wagon...truly the one that got away. Life was pretty rough then, but a pretty girl came along to cheer me up that night, and just when I thought it couldn't get any better, her friend came along to lend a hand. I stumbled out, two possibly lovely ladies in my arms and my ex glaring in my direction. Later on, I can tell you that the forty-five seconds of bliss never felt so good...it was nice to get a win...until I sobered up and realized my beer goggles had been in full effect, my room smelled weird, and my ex is still gone...nothing like winning the battle and losing the war...

Which brings me to the matchup between the Steelers and your New England Patriots...

Going into this game, expectations were low, even by the lowered expectations of our jaded fanbase. Average to subpar QB play, poor OL play, and even worse receiver play had zapped our chances of scoring points against a fledgling Chargers team. Even though most of us probably couldn't name more than 2-3 players on the Steelers before the game, we had heard their offense was bad...really bad. And then, against all odds, Zappe blossomed, Zeke channeled Kevin Faulk, and the defense played inspired football.

It all ended in a cardiac win reminiscent of those odd-numbered years when we'd eke out wins en route to what was then an unsatisfying 10 or 11 win season. As per usual, a few drunken observations, edited up to high-school level English for your reading pleasure:

The Dugger Factor, Part Zwei: Once again, Dugger played an interesting role in this game. Yes, there were times in the first quarter I felt like Trubisky was trying to look his way, the same way Herbert had on Sunday. However, the wrinkle came when Dugger came on not one, not two, but at least five safety blitzes, the first of which shocked Trubisky into throwing his first interception. In fact, the decision to send Dugger hurried Trubisky on more than just that occasion and played a real role in disrupting Pittsburgh's offense, especially as these came in obvious 3rd and long passing situations. Notably, the pass blocking from their RB was actually pretty good, but Trubisky got happy feet in the face of the pressure anyway.

Zappe Hour! We shat on him, mercilessly, deservedly, and now, let's give the man his due. It was not a perfect game, but it was a solid performance. The Pats achieved the league average scoring output and won a football game, and Zappe played no small role in that. Once again, the batted balls were kept to a minimum (one, by my count), and this time, it wasn't the screens that bailed him out. It was putting a bit more touch on the ball, and stepping up into the passing lanes where nary a Steeler stood. I should also note that he was far from a one-read QB tonight...the man had a few occasions where he went through his progressions multiple times, including on the first TD to Henry.

I may have been drinking and my hearing is shot, so I don't know if the mics picked it up, but I think I heard Zappe taking more time to call out protections at the line. This was an underdiscussed part of TFB's game; the protections he set at the line, the audibles he called, the defenses he read, all contributed to a masterstroke of field marshalling. Now, Zappe wasn't even remotely in TFB's league when it comes to this stuff, but I have to wonder if part of the OL problems this year have started before the whistle, and I further have to wonder if maybe Zappe might be figuring this stuff out. Either way, the OL did a reasonably good job on a pretty talented Pittsburgh front.

Speaking of Getting Revenge on Exes, JJSS played his best game as a Patriot with 4 catches for 90 yards. He made plays, he was fired up, and he seemed, for the first time this year, like he truly gave a ****. I had actually begun to wonder if maybe he was a Manchurian Candidate, showing up here after playing for ****head clubs like Pittsburgh and KC to sabotage our operations (such as they are). That could still be the case, but he was definitely inspired, playing in front of the illiterates at...whatever they call that field now. It would be nice to see this side of him a little more often. Maybe Zappe and JuJu are the connection we've been waiting for. Time will tell.

Draft Beer: Hey Arizona! You can have your spot back...you're a real one, though. We love you for trying to help our draft position.

Quick Shots:

I've felt like there have been a lot of plays up the seam left on the field this year, and now we're finally seeing what it can look like with proper OL protections and the QB making proper reads. I have no idea what will be left of this team next year to capitalize on this, so it could wind up feeling like wasted opportunity.

Pittsburgh actually seems to either hate their team more than our fanbase hates ours, or they have stunningly low football IQs, or possibly a combination of both. The boo birds came out early and often...of course, they have to be vindicated when Tomlin gave in and went for it on fourth down. Or maybe I'm the drunk idiot...who knows?

I do know the Pats D looked like the final scene of 1986's Platoon after that play...strewn about the field, mostly face down in the stench of defeat. It was muscle memory I guess.

Pharoah Brown touching the football is like an American girl after a shot of tequila or me after a few swigs of straight absinthe...abnormal, intersting **** just seems to kinda happen.

If you like to argue that refs do not affect the ultimate outcome of the game, then this was the game for you...kinda. Up until that false start, the refereeing had been so one sided, I thought even I was having a stroke. And oddly enough, seemed like most of the **** calls happened on the way to 21-3...so...there's that

Jennings is growing on me a bit...just kinda shows up at the right place and does horrible **** to the other team

----------------------------------

And there it is ladies and gentlemen; let's hear what you were drinking during and after the game.

And remember, if you wind up in a stranger's bed tonight, be sure to wake them in the morning when you leave. It's a workday and it's the polite thing to do...

Cheers

Jennings is growing on me a bit...just kinda shows up at the right place and does horrible **** to the other team
Yes.

Good read. Ty Nikolai

Zappe Hour! We shat on him, mercilessly, deservedly, and now, let's give the man his due. It was not a perfect game, but it was a solid performance. The Pats achieved the league average scoring output and won a football game, and Zappe played no small role in that. Once again, the batted balls were kept to a minimum (one, by my count), and this time, it wasn't the screens that bailed him out. It was putting a bit more touch on the ball, and stepping up into the passing lanes where nary a Steeler stood. I should also note that he was far from a one-read QB tonight...the man had a few occasions where he went through his progressions multiple times, including on the first TD to Henry.

I may have been drinking and my hearing is shot, so I don't know if the mics picked it up, but I think I heard Zappe taking more time to call out protections at the line. This was an underdiscussed part of TFB's game; the protections he set at the line, the audibles he called, the defenses he read, all contributed to a masterstroke of field marshalling. Now, Zappe wasn't even remotely in TFB's league when it comes to this stuff, but I have to wonder if part of the OL problems this year have started before the whistle, and I further have to wonder if maybe Zappe might be figuring this stuff out. Either way, the OL did a reasonably good job on a pretty talented Pittsburgh front.
The entire post is a work of art Nick.

Well done, but what you have expressed here is so important, but hardly discussed. Success on offense is won or lost before the ball is even snapped. Competent QB performance entails every word that you have written above. The QB must have some clue how the WR routes will develop and which of the OL might struggle.

The QB should be the one in control of the game by countering what the defense is trying to take away.

football is like an American girl after a shot of tequila or me after a few swigs of straight absinthe...abnormal, interesting **** just seems to kinda happen.
This might be the best line written in here today.
Patrick Stewart Cheers GIF by Blunt Talk

After watching two #2 QB picks this year Tribusky and Zach Wilson the QB draft can be a shot in the dark so whoever and whatever the Pats do it needs to be done so with an abundance of research...
Jennings has been a force, glad to see him showing what he can do..
Zappe looked like a QB last night..
ST's need a lot of work, as our ST guru, Judge, seems to have crapped the bed.
Absinthe the "Green Goddess" does not seem to sold in the NE, but in NOLA.. always wanted to try it, but the crap about Art Linkletter's daughter always is in the back of my old mind..
AF1QipNEamAp1X-RNPELrOOr2KATB2rLwiSo3P8K_tzE=s1360-w1360-h1020

Had to watch this one sober, it was Monday morning after all. At least I got a decent night's sleep.

Was a weird experience, wanting the Patriots to lose but instead enjoying watching them expose the pretenders that are our children, the Squealers. Never unpleasant watching them get slapped down as they richly deserve even if it costs us a spot in the draft.

Zappe played decently and followed the game plan to yet another win. He's not overwhelmed by playing QB in the NFL and as we've seen over the last two games he can make throws for big plays (they just dropped them in the previous game). Seems to have a weakness in throwing behind receivers on crossing routes, should be correctable. Don't understand why he hasn't been played the whole time.

After watching two #2 QB picks this year Tribusky and Zach Wilson the QB draft can be a shot in the dark so whoever and whatever the Pats do it needs to be done so with an abundance of research...
Jennings has been a force, glad to see him showing what he can do..
Zappe looked like a QB last night..
ST's need a lot of work, as our ST guru, Judge, seems to have crapped the bed.
Absinthe the "Green Goddess" does not seem to sold in the NE, but in NOLA.. always wanted to try it, but the crap about Art Linkletter's daughter always is in the back of my old mind..
AF1QipNEamAp1X-RNPELrOOr2KATB2rLwiSo3P8K_tzE=s1360-w1360-h1020
You can get Absinth in NH at the state liquor stores. Just FYI and ...
New Year Smiling GIF

This reminds me that I've never been with a ten but one night I banged 5 2s and I think that ought to count.
Unfortunately unlike mathematics this is not transitive.

5 2s is not the same as 2 5s and neither of those is the same as a 10.

Or so I am told…

Great post. I’m sorry you only lasted 45 seconds with those two women.

Thank you! And well, these sorts of things happen when you are forced to drink enough to enjoy most of the games this year...

You can get Absinth in NH at the state liquor stores. Just FYI and ...
New Year Smiling GIF

Depending on the state you live in, you can even get decent absinthe mailed to your door.

Or so I am told…

10 1s is where it really gets wild...

Had to watch this one sober, it was Monday morning after all. At least I got a decent night's sleep.

Was a weird experience, wanting the Patriots to lose but instead enjoying watching them expose the pretenders that are our children, the Squealers. Never unpleasant watching them get slapped down as they richly deserve even if it costs us a spot in the draft.

Zappe played decently and followed the game plan to yet another win. He's not overwhelmed by playing QB in the NFL and as we've seen over the last two games he can make throws for big plays (they just dropped them in the previous game). Seems to have a weakness in throwing behind receivers on crossing routes, should be correctable. Don't understand why he hasn't been played the whole time.

Yeah, the fact we put our #2 spot in jeopardy doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the fact we went into ****sburgh and smacked them with our swingin Ds right in their own house....in 2023 of all years. I'll take it.

That's made next week's game against KC very compelling. I honestly don't know what to expect...we could play with them somehow, or it'll be time to switch to 50% or better alcohol by the second quarter. I guess we will see.

Or so I am told…
You ever done 5 2s?

Don't talk to me

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft