PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

End of an era at Penn State.

Am I wrong, but is one Penn State thread enough? Or do we want to become WEEI, ESPN, CSN, and every other news/sports outlet on the planet?:D

If a grown man is reported as being in the showers with a young boy after Sandusky had already demonstrated a history of predatory acts, it doesn't take Albert Einsten to connect the dots.

I'm not going to assume innocence or guilt on Paterno's behalf but a reasonable conclusion doesn't look inviting at this point in time.

"Reported" and "demonstrated" by whom, how, when, and to what extent? You see, we don't know WHAT EXACTLY was told to Paterno, or WHEN. Yet, he's being vilified by many here as complicit to varying degrees and was fired on that assumption.

"Reported" and "demonstrated" by whom, how, when, and to what extent? You see, we don't know WHAT EXACTLY was told to Paterno, or WHEN. Yet, he's being vilified by many here as complicit to varying degrees and was fired on that assumption.

He did report the info to the AD. In the military it's called chain command.

Now the guy who witnessed it happen and did nothing:like "coach, what the hell are you doing" or "get off the kid, you perv" or just pulled him off the kid, he's one of the villains. But he has yet to be fired. Strange, very strange.

I think McQueary is really at fault here. Of course everything is speculative, but if the court docs were true, he saw an old man raping a baby, and all he did was tell The Archdiocese and call his Dad. I can only speak for myself but if I ever saw that happening I wouldn't stop trying to break every bone in his body until I was pulled off by cops and I think that's a fairly universal feeling for men with morality.

Last edited:
Interesting comment from a poster named "Brady'sButtBoy."

What is stunning is that Queary, his father, the AD, JoePa, the President and anyone else who heard of this didn't simply dial 911 or a mandated reporter like a doctor, the ER, a social worker, anybody. A simple phone call.
If PA law is like MA law, and that of virtually all other states, everyone you list, except McQ's father, is a mandated reporter.

I'm a PSU alum/fan/parent and am just stunned by what happened. I wanted to wait a couple of days to see what happened. It's been a while since I was in school. Graduated in 1989 after a stint in the service. I don't look at Penn State as Camelot as many grads do. It was a place I went to college to help myself prepare for a better career. I am also a huge sports fan. So, I was always very proud to say I went to PSU. Hey, we may not be as good as Miami, Oklahoma or Florida State. But, we've got a pretty good GD team and are doing it the right way. When I was in school students would check to make sure the players weren't getting preferential treatment. Wanted them to earn their degree. And, they did. I was in a couple of classes with former Pat Michael Timpson. Never missed a class, sat in the front row, kept his mouth shot and bolted as soon as class was over. Probably on a pretty tight schedule I always thought.

Mike Francesa has pretty much nailed it on his WFAN coverage if anyone saw it. Joepa runs the town/campus. For people who think he didn't know about the 1998 incident where there was a 30page report about Sandusky. I say. Come on man!! He knew. That's why Sandusky retired the following year 1999. Joe's generation probably looks at people like Sandusky as perverts at that point. Not a predator. Well, the March 2002 incident where McQuery witness that horrific act should have resulted in Sandusky in handcuffs that night. How McQuery walks out of the building without that kid or calling the police from the location makes me question his motives? He was 28. Not 18. 6'4 230 LB Big, strong, tough football player. How Joe doesn't call the Police Chief the next am kills me. The smartest, most honorable person or so we thought. Wants to protect his program/legacy now. I think he may have felt like that in 1998 too, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt there. McQuery gets promoted from grad assistant. Sandusky told he can't bring any "kids" around any longer. Really?? That's it. Yup. Sure Joe reports it to his lackey. Curley the AD. Ironically, hired to replace Joe who was AD too once. Ya think Curley does anything about football without asking Joe? Nothing ever happens. Guess they passed the report on to Sgt Schultz. Who knows nothing in a German accent. Mind numbing indifference to that kid in the shower. McQuery sees Sandusky around the practice facilities now and then. Doesn't bother him??? I guess not. Who the bleep knows what Joe's thinking any more? He should have retired 10-12 years ago. He's no dummy even now. But, he's not the same man he was in 1998. He clearly is trying to protect his once impeccable reputation. I hope Sandusky does the honorable thing and pulls the trigger. It's a better fate than what awaits him in prison. Get this. There are reports he was shopping at ****'s Sporting Goods wearing his Penn State gear today. I kid you not. That's a sick puppy. Mike McQuery. I was going to say you let your alumni down. No, it's worse than that. You let your fellow human beings down. Mike's dad is a physician in State College and comes from a well off family. He had no reason to be afraid of Jerry Sandusky. Joepa - I just can't look at you the same any more. Were you more worried about how this made PSU looks than the victims? It sure looks that way.

Penn State will recover. Gonna take a while. Too many good people not to. But, it will never be the same.

McQueary told his father, who told him to come immediately home. They went and told Paterno the next day.

Obviously a criminal act was committed so the father should have brought his son to the police. Paterno should have done more than say that he'd take care of it and pass the buck up the line of command. He should have told the son and father to report the crime to the police, told his superior and then checked later to make sure that something was done.

In the end, no one treated this like a criminal act.

They all treated this like a sexual harassment claim, where reporting it your superior is appropriate.

I think McQueary is really at fault here. Of course everything is speculative, but if the court docs were true, he saw an old man raping a baby, and all he did was tell The Archdiocese and call his Dad. I can only speak for myself but if I ever saw that happening I wouldn't stop trying to break every bone in his body until I was pulled off by cops and I think that's a fairly universal feeling for men with morality.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Apparently, Joe Paterno has hired a powerful defense attorney to defend him. Things do not look good for him at all!!
Celticboy04

McQueary told his father, who told him to come immediately home. They went and told Paterno the next day.

Obviously a criminal act was committed so the father should have brought his son to the police. Paterno should have done more than say that he'd take care of it and pass the buck up the line of command. He should have told the son and father to report the crime to the police, told his superior and then checked later to make sure that something was done.

In the end, no one treated this like a criminal act.

They all treated this like a sexual harassment claim, where reporting it your superior is appropriate
I can assure you, if I had been unlucky enough to walk in on an act as such being perpetrated, the perpetrator would be exceptionally lucky to escape that room with either their life or their genitals in tact.

IMO although forward and extreme, that should be the response from any parent or reasonable person. Passing the buck is not a good excuse in my book.

Last edited:
If Patero had any integrity, any morals left he would have gone down town and told the crowd that was rioting to go back to their dorms. Instead he lead a crowd of kids outside of his home in a Go Penn chant.
Hes more interested in himself and his legacy then he is in the kids whose lives were ruined.

Last edited:
Let's hope they put Sandusky in population in the State Penn where he can get a dose of what he did to those kids,but in a much more violent way and with multiple inmates taking their turn in the shower.

I want to see him bowlegged from ear to ear when they get done with him.

It's clear they are greedy and corrupt. They were too scared to do anything because getting the police involved would lead to a huge scandle. They knew that it would hurt the college, both from a reputation standpoint as well as a money one. They were just hoping it would never get public. Sadly, they cared more about defending the name of the college than they did the children.

Last edited:
It's clear they are greedy and corrupt. They were too scared to do anything because getting the police involved would lead to a huge scandle. They knew that it would hurt the college, both from a reputation standpoint as well as a money one. They were just hoping it would never get public. Sadly, they cared more about defending the name of the college than they did the children.

Do you live near Penn State?

He did report the info to the AD. In the military it's called chain command.

Now the guy who witnessed it happen and did nothing:like "coach, what the hell are you doing" or "get off the kid, you perv" or just pulled him off the kid, he's one of the villains. But he has yet to be fired. Strange, very strange.

But he's not in the military.

He's obliged by the law and by some sense of morals to go directly to the authorities and report this. Its not that hard. You know of child abuse. You report it. There is no grey area.

I have a friend going to Penn State and all the other SPORTS teams are boycotting their next games (like womens volleyball etc) My dad was recruited by this man to play WR (he chose Dartmouth instead PSU had no hockey, just club).

How they treated Joe PA was a DISGRACE. They posted an ENVELOPE on his house's door in it was info to call a phone #... Papa Joe was FIRED by the way of a TELEPHONE Call. He was FIRED right before Senior day and they couldn't allow him to do SR. day and then RETIRE???

this is BULL*HIT and a disgrace.

the kids have flipped over a couple media fans. I know of 1.:):):)

Joe should have done more... What about the AD what aboutthe VP and the President that were informed??? Those ppl are the ones at fault and should take extreme HEAT. PSU allowed Sanphucky to have full previledges on campus, despite him leaving the football realm.

What about the JANITORS that witnessed a different rape and never went to the authorities; these men were FIRED 8 months later (they reported it to their Boss who relayed it to upper channels)

How about what JoePa did to those kids? That's not a disgrace?

The title of this thread shows the same kind of indifference to the kids raped by Sandusky as a smiling Joe Paterno did when cheering with the students outside his house. The old man must be out of his gourd, or an egomaniac shameless enough to forget the savagery perpetuated by his own inaction.

Paterno so soiled his own name he deserves no recognition in passing. The thread should be titled - Hell On Earth For Boys - Penn State.

Paterno reportedly consulted a high profile defense attorney. CYA in full effect now.

I hope that Joe Pa and his crew get sued for all their money (not that it can bring back the innocence the children lost). The trustees made another bad move hiring Tom Bradley. The feds are going to be all over him like white on rice.

I have a feeling we've just seen the top layer to this story, it's going to get a lot worse (sadly).

I hope that Joe Pa and his crew get sued for all their money (not that it can bring back the innocence the children lost). The trustees made another bad move hiring Tom Bradley. The feds are going to be all over him like white on rice.
He's a stopgap solution until the end of the year. I'm sure he's updating his resume and collecting boxes.........With a 30 year history there in a company town as it were, there are going to be serious questions about his level of knowledge of events and coverups... Innocent or not, he is going to be tainted like all the others there by being associated with the program.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back